PDA

View Full Version : Our Housekeeper Kitty

Peg Caldwell-Ott
April 23rd 08, 02:16 AM
Pemberton is a Short Haired American Tabby, who will be 2 years old in
mid August. She was adopted from the North Shore Animal League here
in NYC on April 7 just a year ago. She is a neutered female. We
adore her and she has settled into our family beautifully.

But, aside from eating like every meal is the last one she will ever
get (which I have already commented upon in this forum), she has one
other extremely odd habit. She likes to play "housekeeper". Virtually
every morning we find one of many kitty blankets scattered around the
apartment, usually near a closet door. We leave a nice selection of
these on the kitty day beds and other napping sites that we know our
cats like to frequent during the day. Pemberton seems to feel that
they should be "put away" dragging them to the closet doors (or
nearby) so that I can fold them and.....put them away!! No matter how
often they are put back (daily) into their original places for the
enjoyment of the cats, there is always one or two to be found near a
closet door each morning!!

This is not an annoying habit or a dangerous one in any way, shape or
form, merely amusing. I thought that others in the group might find
it funny too--or perhaps their kitties are doing the same thing!!

Best Wishes,

Peg

"Scientists' say intelligent life
sprang from the sea.
Really intelligent life returns to
the sea every now and then."

capricious
April 23rd 08, 06:57 AM
On Apr 22, 6:16 pm, Peg Caldwell-Ott > wrote:
> Pemberton is a Short Haired American Tabby, who will be 2 years old in
> mid August. She was adopted from the North Shore Animal League here
> in NYC on April 7 just a year ago. She is a neutered female. We
> adore her and she has settled into our family beautifully.
>
> But, aside from eating like every meal is the last one she will ever
> get (which I have already commented upon in this forum), she has one
> other extremely odd habit. She likes to play "housekeeper". Virtually
> every morning we find one of many kitty blankets scattered around the
> apartment, usually near a closet door. We leave a nice selection of
> these on the kitty day beds and other napping sites that we know our
> cats like to frequent during the day. Pemberton seems to feel that
> they should be "put away" dragging them to the closet doors (or
> nearby) so that I can fold them and.....put them away!! No matter how
> often they are put back (daily) into their original places for the
> enjoyment of the cats, there is always one or two to be found near a
> closet door each morning!!
>
> This is not an annoying habit or a dangerous one in any way, shape or
> form, merely amusing. I thought that others in the group might find
> it funny too--or perhaps their kitties are doing the same thing!!
>
> Best Wishes,
>
> Peg
>
> "Scientists' say intelligent life
> sprang from the sea.
> Really intelligent life returns to
> the sea every now and then."

hahaha.. kind of reminds me of one of my domesticated female cats who
anytime you play with her, she grabs whatever it is in her mouth and
runs off with it, like a dog! She then always to puts it where she
always sleeps :) Then she's just instantly bored with it apparently,
it's quite strange! :) Nice story.

dgk
April 23rd 08, 12:58 PM
On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 21:16:46 -0400, Peg Caldwell-Ott
> wrote:

>Pemberton is a Short Haired American Tabby, who will be 2 years old in
>mid August. She was adopted from the North Shore Animal League here
>in NYC on April 7 just a year ago. She is a neutered female. We
>adore her and she has settled into our family beautifully.
>
>But, aside from eating like every meal is the last one she will ever
>get (which I have already commented upon in this forum), she has one
>other extremely odd habit. She likes to play "housekeeper". Virtually
>every morning we find one of many kitty blankets scattered around the
>apartment, usually near a closet door. We leave a nice selection of
>these on the kitty day beds and other napping sites that we know our
>cats like to frequent during the day. Pemberton seems to feel that
>they should be "put away" dragging them to the closet doors (or
>nearby) so that I can fold them and.....put them away!! No matter how
>often they are put back (daily) into their original places for the
>enjoyment of the cats, there is always one or two to be found near a
>closet door each morning!!
>
>This is not an annoying habit or a dangerous one in any way, shape or
>form, merely amusing. I thought that others in the group might find
>it funny too--or perhaps their kitties are doing the same thing!!
>
>Best Wishes,
>
>Peg
>
>"Scientists' say intelligent life
> sprang from the sea.
>Really intelligent life returns to
> the sea every now and then."

They are all so weird. Two of my cats finish eating and walk away. The
third one has to turn over all of their food bowls. Since two are too
heavy to easily turn over, she will pull anything on the floor onto
the bowls to cover them up.

None of them drag their blankets to the closet though.

cybercat
April 23rd 08, 07:12 PM
"Peg Caldwell-Ott" > wrote in message

> Pemberton is a Short Haired American Tabby, who will be 2 years old in
> mid August. She was adopted from the North Shore Animal League here
> in NYC on April 7 just a year ago. She is a neutered female. We
> adore her and she has settled into our family beautifully.
>
> But, aside from eating like every meal is the last one she will ever
> get (which I have already commented upon in this forum), she has one
> other extremely odd habit. She likes to play "housekeeper". Virtually
> every morning we find one of many kitty blankets scattered around the
> apartment, usually near a closet door. We leave a nice selection of
> these on the kitty day beds and other napping sites that we know our
> cats like to frequent during the day. Pemberton seems to feel that
> they should be "put away" dragging them to the closet doors (or
> nearby) so that I can fold them and.....put them away!! No matter how
> often they are put back (daily) into their original places for the
> enjoyment of the cats, there is always one or two to be found near a
> closet door each morning!!
>
> This is not an annoying habit or a dangerous one in any way, shape or
> form, merely amusing. I thought that others in the group might find
> it funny too--or perhaps their kitties are doing the same thing!!
>
> Best Wishes,

Totally precious, Peg. She wants to contribute to the household. :)

deja.blues[_4_]
April 24th 08, 05:53 AM
"Peg Caldwell-Ott" > wrote in message

> Pemberton is a Short Haired American Tabby, who will be 2 years old in
> mid August. She was adopted from the North Shore Animal League here
> in NYC on April 7 just a year ago. She is a neutered female. We
> adore her and she has settled into our family beautifully.
>
> But, aside from eating like every meal is the last one she will ever
> get (which I have already commented upon in this forum), she has one
> other extremely odd habit. She likes to play "housekeeper". Virtually
> every morning we find one of many kitty blankets scattered around the
> apartment, usually near a closet door. We leave a nice selection of
> these on the kitty day beds and other napping sites that we know our
> cats like to frequent during the day. Pemberton seems to feel that
> they should be "put away" dragging them to the closet doors (or
> nearby) so that I can fold them and.....put them away!! No matter how
> often they are put back (daily) into their original places for the
> enjoyment of the cats, there is always one or two to be found near a
> closet door each morning!!
>
> This is not an annoying habit or a dangerous one in any way, shape or
> form, merely amusing. I thought that others in the group might find
> it funny too--or perhaps their kitties are doing the same thing!!

A dear departed girl kitty of ours used to drag socks out of drawers and
pile them up or bring them to us. I asked the vet about it and he said she
was acting as if they were her kittens, and just because she was spayed
didn't mean her motherly instincts were gone.
Your cat is probably moving her kittens (blankets) to a secure space
(closet).

Peg Caldwell-Ott
April 24th 08, 11:45 PM
Many thanks for the suggestion--that could well be the explanation!!
She has been particularly active with her "kittens" today, moving a
total of 6 blankets from the kitty day bed to 2 different closets, and
several day bed toys to other doorways in the apartment!! Blankets
always end up in front of closet doors, but toys are more usually
left in front of room doors!!

Cheers,

Peg

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 00:53:21 -0400, "deja.blues"
> wrote:

>"Peg Caldwell-Ott" > wrote in message
>>
>> Pemberton is a Short Haired American Tabby, who will be 2 years old in
>> mid August. She was adopted from the North Shore Animal League here
>> in NYC on April 7 just a year ago. She is a neutered female. We
>> adore her and she has settled into our family beautifully.
>>
>> But, aside from eating like every meal is the last one she will ever
>> get (which I have already commented upon in this forum), she has one
>> other extremely odd habit. She likes to play "housekeeper". Virtually
>> every morning we find one of many kitty blankets scattered around the
>> apartment, usually near a closet door. We leave a nice selection of
>> these on the kitty day beds and other napping sites that we know our
>> cats like to frequent during the day. Pemberton seems to feel that
>> they should be "put away" dragging them to the closet doors (or
>> nearby) so that I can fold them and.....put them away!! No matter how
>> often they are put back (daily) into their original places for the
>> enjoyment of the cats, there is always one or two to be found near a
>> closet door each morning!!
>>
>> This is not an annoying habit or a dangerous one in any way, shape or
>> form, merely amusing. I thought that others in the group might find
>> it funny too--or perhaps their kitties are doing the same thing!!
>
>A dear departed girl kitty of ours used to drag socks out of drawers and
>pile them up or bring them to us. I asked the vet about it and he said she
>was acting as if they were her kittens, and just because she was spayed
>didn't mean her motherly instincts were gone.
>Your cat is probably moving her kittens (blankets) to a secure space
>(closet).

deja.blues[_4_]
April 26th 08, 03:23 AM
"Peg Caldwell-Ott" > wrote in message

> Many thanks for the suggestion--that could well be the explanation!!
> She has been particularly active with her "kittens" today, moving a
> total of 6 blankets from the kitty day bed to 2 different closets, and
> several day bed toys to other doorways in the apartment!! Blankets
> always end up in front of closet doors, but toys are more usually
> left in front of room doors!!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Peg

I used to find it quite adorable. Enoy your kitty!