PDA

View Full Version : Levi and the emergency hospital, and what foods are best for struvitecrystals?


Lynne
April 25th 08, 02:46 AM
He's okay now, but I wanted to drop in and let you know that this
group probably saved his life... or at least saved him a lot of pain
and suffering. He was straining to urinate in the wee hours this
morning but I didn't really "get it" until he tried to pee in the
sink. Instead of getting upset and putting him in the litter box, I
immediately realized, because of this group, that he was probably
associating the litter box with pain and there was trouble. I slowly
backed out of the bathroom and let him keep trying. He was unable to
pass urine for nearly 20 minutes.

Off to the hospital we went. I didn't even bother with my regular vet
because I envisioned a lengthy hospital stay and I wanted him
someplace where they are staffed with vets 24/7.

They took him in right away (I called on my way and said I thought he
might have a blockage) and thankfully they were able to squeeze some
urine out. They did find blood and struvite crystals. We're waiting
on the culture results, but the xray didn't show any problems, thank
goodness. He was passing urine with no problem after getting SubQ
fluids so he is home with me now. They also gave him an enema to help
him pass some pretty dry stool (side effect of dehydration).

While he was in the hospital (all day), I bought him a water fountain
(which he already loves!) to encourage him to drink more, and did some
very thorough research on food. He has been eating Evo dry and wet,
but lately more dry (I could kick myself), and lately he has been
under a lot of stress due to a home remodel (so probably not drinking
enough). The Evo wet looks good with the exception of a surpisingly
low protein content relative to the prescription foods. I plan to
discuss food with our vet next week when he has his follow-up, but
would greatly appreciate some recommendations from those of you with
experience in this area. I am only considering wet food, and
naturally have a strong preference for a brand that didn't have
problems during the nightmare recalls. Ideally I would like to leave
him on what I know he will eat (Evo wet only now), but not if it's
going to make the problem worse. Suggestions and advice would be
greatly appreciated.

Also, what is your opinion or experience with the supplement for
acidifying the pH, Methioform? His was on the high side and the
emergency vet said I should add it to his diet if we stay on the Evo
wet (or any commercial food).

WOW. The little kitten who swallowed the latex teat is going to be 2
in August and he still clearly cannot handle stress, so we're also
gonna start using Feliway for my little boy.

I hope you and your cats are all doing well!!

cybercat
April 25th 08, 05:06 AM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
...
> He's okay now, but I wanted to drop in and let you know that this
> group probably saved his life... or at least saved him a lot of pain
> and suffering. [...]
>
[...]
>
> WOW. The little kitten who swallowed the latex teat is going to be 2
> in August and he still clearly cannot handle stress, so we're also
> gonna start using Feliway for my little boy.
>

Lynn, I hope Levi makes a speedy recovery. (I've never had boy cats
or a cat with this problem ... wish I had something more helpful to offer,
but I'll be thinking about you.

Riannon via CatKB.com
April 25th 08, 05:55 AM
Lynne wrote:
>They took him in right away (I called on my way and said I thought he
>might have a blockage) and thankfully they were able to squeeze some
>urine out. They did find blood and struvite crystals. We're waiting
>on the culture results, but the xray didn't show any problems, thank
>goodness. He was passing urine with no problem after getting SubQ
>fluids so he is home with me now. They also gave him an enema to help
>him pass some pretty dry stool (side effect of dehydration).

I know how you must have felt; this happened to my guy about 8 years ago (he
was 2). Scary isn't it?
The same thing with mine - blood, struvite and also had to have a catheter
put in and stayed at the vet for a few days! My poor little guy.

>discuss food with our vet next week when he has his follow-up, but
>would greatly appreciate some recommendations from those of you with
>experience in this area. I am only considering wet food, and
>naturally have a strong preference for a brand that didn't have

I put mine on Hill's s/d (struvite diet) for a month (which my vet gave me);
then I put him on Hill's c/d (again from the vet), then I changed to Hill's
Science Diet (at pet store). He's been fine for the past 8 years but for the
first year or two, I was still nervous something would happen. He wasn't a
good water drinker or canned food eater before it happened but I was an idiot
back then and just *assumed* he was drinking when I wasn't around. Now he
eats canned (I also leave out some dry as he likes to nibble when I'm out)
and I make sure he drinks water now - loves to drink from the bathroom tap
for some reason!

>Also, what is your opinion or experience with the supplement for
>acidifying the pH, Methioform? His was on the high side and the

Never had to use any supplement with him.

>emergency vet said I should add it to his diet if we stay on the Evo
>wet (or any commercial food).

Personally, I wouldn't feed him the same food he was eating when it happened;
I would be nervous to.



Riannon

--
Message posted via CatKB.com
http://www.catkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/cat-health/200804/1

cybercat
April 25th 08, 04:04 PM
"Riannon via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote
>
> Personally, I wouldn't feed him the same food he was eating when it
> happened;
> I would be nervous to.

Sure makes sense to me.

Rene S.
April 28th 08, 08:05 PM
> While he was in the hospital (all day), I bought him a water fountain
> (which he already loves!) to encourage him to drink more, and did some
> very thorough research on food. *He has been eating Evo dry and wet,
> but lately more dry (I could kick myself), and lately he has been
> under a lot of stress due to a home remodel (so probably not drinking
> enough). *The Evo wet looks good with the exception of a surpisingly
> low protein content relative to the prescription foods.

When you compare nutritional values, you need to compare the dry
matter basis on the Innova Evo--which excludes the water. If you do
this, you'll find that the Evo has one of the highest protein contents
out there.

An all-canned diet would be an excellent idea for this cat, Innova Evo
is great as is Wellness canned (make sure to get the grain free
varieties) or Nature's Variety canned.

You also need to read this article: http://community-2.webtv.net/getcathelp/urinarytract/

Lynne
April 30th 08, 10:07 PM
On Apr 28, 3:05*pm, "Rene S." > wrote:
> > While he was in the hospital (all day), I bought him a water fountain
> > (which he already loves!) to encourage him to drink more, and did some
> > very thorough research on food. *He has been eating Evo dry and wet,
> > but lately more dry (I could kick myself), and lately he has been
> > under a lot of stress due to a home remodel (so probably not drinking
> > enough). *The Evo wet looks good with the exception of a surpisingly
> > low protein content relative to the prescription foods.
>
> When you compare nutritional values, you need to compare the dry
> matter basis on the Innova Evo--which excludes the water. If you do
> this, you'll find that the Evo has one of the highest protein contents
> out there.
>
> An all-canned diet would be an excellent idea for this cat, Innova Evo
> is great as is Wellness canned (make sure to get the grain free
> varieties) or Nature's Variety canned.
>
> You also need to read this article:http://community-2.webtv.net/getcathelp/urinarytract/

Hi everyone, thanks for your responses. Levi was eating Evo DRY
previously, and some wet, but lately mostly dry because I was being
lazy so the wet was a change. The foods are dramatically different
when you compare the nutritional analysis. The emergency doctor
compared the key ingredients of Evo wet to the prescription diets and
thought it might be enough to take care of the problem. Today his pH
was lower, at 6.5. Which is good news as it was high previously.
Unfortunately, he now has both types of bladder crystals and continues
to strain to pee. He's starting on a special diet to dissolve the
crystals and will remain on it for a month and then be re-checked.
Our vet thinks he should respond well. If I can get him to eat it...

He will never get dry food again, that is for sure, and hopefully we
can find something he likes that works.

I'll read that article, Rene, thank you for posting the link.

I'll report back, I know a lot of you are fond of him over the wires.
Thanks again!

Lynne
April 30th 08, 10:12 PM
Forgot to mention that he will be (fingers crossed!) eating Hills S/D
wet for a month and then re-checked. He likes to go to the litter box
when I use the bathroom (he's so cute), and since I have an office at
home, I can keep a very close eye on his potty habits. It's been hard
to watch him strain so much. I hate that he is in pain. Hopefully
that will change, and soon.