PDA

View Full Version : Bubba vs The Furminator - Round 1

Claude V. Lucas
May 3rd 08, 01:25 AM
<http://members.cox.net/claudevl/Bubba-Furminator.jpg>

I can't say either of us particularly enjoyed the experience
but it certainly was worth doing.

Hopefully round 2 will be a bit less of a melodrama.

Claude V. Lucas
May 3rd 08, 01:40 AM
In article >,
Matthew > wrote:
>I thought my cats made a mess
>

>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
>> <http://members.cox.net/claudevl/Bubba-Furminator.jpg>
>>
>> I can't say either of us particularly enjoyed the experience
>> but it certainly was worth doing.
>>
>> Hopefully round 2 will be a bit less of a melodrama.

Almost an entire Bubba worth of hair gone and
probably that much again yet to go when I
work up the nerve to go through the crying
and hissing and scratching act again...

:^)

Claude V. Lucas
May 3rd 08, 02:08 AM
In article >,
Matthew > wrote:
>next time give him a lion cut ;-)

I'd be afraid to go to sleep afterward with him in the house.

:^)

What's amazing is that he looks absolutely the same
after losing that much hair...

>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> Matthew > wrote:
>>>I thought my cats made a mess

>> Almost an entire Bubba worth of hair gone and
>> probably that much again yet to go when I
>> work up the nerve to go through the crying
>> and hissing and scratching act again...
>>
>> :^)

May 3rd 08, 03:36 AM
On 2008-05-03, Claude V. Lucas > wrote:
><http://members.cox.net/claudevl/Bubba-Furminator.jpg>
>
> I can't say either of us particularly enjoyed the experience
> but it certainly was worth doing.
>
> Hopefully round 2 will be a bit less of a melodrama.

It looks as if Bubba had been saving up.

Bud

Claude V. Lucas
May 3rd 08, 03:46 AM
In article >,
> wrote:
>On 2008-05-03, Claude V. Lucas > wrote:
>><http://members.cox.net/claudevl/Bubba-Furminator.jpg>
>>
>> I can't say either of us particularly enjoyed the experience
>> but it certainly was worth doing.
>>
>> Hopefully round 2 will be a bit less of a melodrama.
>
>It looks as if Bubba had been saving up.

Ever since I got him a few years ago I've combed him out
every week or so. When I got him from the pound it looked
as if no one ever had brushed him at all. His belly fur
was so matted that I had to have a professional groomer
shave him.(I didn't want his first impression of me to
be that. LOL). A normal comb-out usually gets about a
softball sized ball of hair. The Furminator really gets
in there... I can tell that there are still spots that
need it. I'm gonna wait a few days though. Even though
I'm sure it doesn't actually hurt him he's such a drama
queen about it I want to give him time to forget before
round 2...

PawsForThought
May 4th 08, 07:26 PM
On May 2, 8:25*pm, (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:
> <http://members.cox.net/claudevl/Bubba-Furminator.jpg>

OMG, that's a heck of a lot of fur. I don't get nearly that much off
my 2 cats with the furminator. But then again they're short haired.
Your cat doesn't look to happy in that pic, lol

Claude V. Lucas
May 4th 08, 07:54 PM
In article >,
PawsForThought > wrote:
>On May 2, 8:25*pm, (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:
>> <http://members.cox.net/claudevl/Bubba-Furminator.jpg>
>
>OMG, that's a heck of a lot of fur. I don't get nearly that much off
>my 2 cats with the furminator. But then again they're short haired.
>Your cat doesn't look to happy in that pic, lol

I'm not sure cats are smart enough to connect happenings, but
he seems to be happier without that extra fur. There's almost
that much more to go in round 2...

CatNipped[_2_]
May 6th 08, 08:44 PM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
> <http://members.cox.net/claudevl/Bubba-Furminator.jpg>
>
> I can't say either of us particularly enjoyed the experience
> but it certainly was worth doing.
>
> Hopefully round 2 will be a bit less of a melodrama.

I bought a Furminator and I think I'm the only person I know who doesn't
like it. It only works because there's a razor embedded in the comb and it
shaves off the hair rather than combing out the dead hair (there used to be
a "Ronco" product like this for humans - it used to be advertised in
commercials for moms to give their husbands and kids haircuts at home).

As long as I brush the cats with it I'll keep getting hair out endlessly,
but then I feel a rough kind of "stubble" when I pet them. I stopped using
it thinking that eventually my cats would end up almost bald.

Hugs,

CatNipped

CatNipped[_2_]
May 6th 08, 08:44 PM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Matthew > wrote:
>>I thought my cats made a mess
>>

>>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
>>> <http://members.cox.net/claudevl/Bubba-Furminator.jpg>
>>>
>>> I can't say either of us particularly enjoyed the experience
>>> but it certainly was worth doing.
>>>
>>> Hopefully round 2 will be a bit less of a melodrama.
>>

> Almost an entire Bubba worth of hair gone and
> probably that much again yet to go when I
> work up the nerve to go through the crying
> and hissing and scratching act again...
>
> :^)

Sounds like Sammy when I try to brush her! 20+ pounds of angry cat is not
fun at all! ;>

Hugs,

CatNipped

Claude V. Lucas
May 6th 08, 09:27 PM
In article >,
CatNipped > wrote:
>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> Matthew > wrote:
>>>I thought my cats made a mess

>> Almost an entire Bubba worth of hair gone and
>> probably that much again yet to go when I
>> work up the nerve to go through the crying
>> and hissing and scratching act again...
>>
>> :^)
>
>Sounds like Sammy when I try to brush her! 20+ pounds of angry cat is not
>fun at all! ;>
>
>Hugs,
>
>CatNipped

Round 2.

http://members.cox.net/claudevl/Bubba-Furminator02.jpg

He actually went from purring to hissing and back again this time...

Cats. Who can figure them out???

Claude V. Lucas
May 6th 08, 09:35 PM
In article >,
CatNipped > wrote:
>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
>> <http://members.cox.net/claudevl/Bubba-Furminator.jpg>
>>
>> I can't say either of us particularly enjoyed the experience
>> but it certainly was worth doing.
>>
>> Hopefully round 2 will be a bit less of a melodrama.
>
>I bought a Furminator and I think I'm the only person I know who doesn't
>like it. It only works because there's a razor embedded in the comb and it
>shaves off the hair rather than combing out the dead hair (there used to be
>a "Ronco" product like this for humans - it used to be advertised in
>commercials for moms to give their husbands and kids haircuts at home).
>
>As long as I brush the cats with it I'll keep getting hair out endlessly,
>but then I feel a rough kind of "stubble" when I pet them. I stopped using
>it thinking that eventually my cats would end up almost bald.

Yeah I hear you as far as the stubble.

With Bubba, though, the first couple of times got mostly
undercoat. He pretty much looks the same even though his
coat doesn't seem quite as smooth to the touch. I'm hoping that
the smoothness will return in a bit. The only real alternative
here in the desert is the dreaded Lion Cut. He gets really
miserable in the late summer. My AC can barely keep the house
in the 90s when it is 115-120 outside... He finds the spot
where the AC blows and lays on his back there with his legs
in the air for most of the day. Maine Coons just aren't
desert kitties although the couple of bobcats I've seen
seem to have as much fur. They'll have to find someone
besides me to help them with it. :^)

CatNipped[_2_]
May 6th 08, 10:23 PM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> CatNipped > wrote:
>>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
>>> <http://members.cox.net/claudevl/Bubba-Furminator.jpg>
>>>
>>> I can't say either of us particularly enjoyed the experience
>>> but it certainly was worth doing.
>>>
>>> Hopefully round 2 will be a bit less of a melodrama.
>>
>>I bought a Furminator and I think I'm the only person I know who doesn't
>>like it. It only works because there's a razor embedded in the comb and
>>it
>>shaves off the hair rather than combing out the dead hair (there used to
>>be
>>a "Ronco" product like this for humans - it used to be advertised in
>>commercials for moms to give their husbands and kids haircuts at home).
>>
>>As long as I brush the cats with it I'll keep getting hair out endlessly,
>>but then I feel a rough kind of "stubble" when I pet them. I stopped
>>using
>>it thinking that eventually my cats would end up almost bald.
>>

> Yeah I hear you as far as the stubble.
>
> With Bubba, though, the first couple of times got mostly
> undercoat. He pretty much looks the same even though his
> coat doesn't seem quite as smooth to the touch. I'm hoping that
> the smoothness will return in a bit. The only real alternative
> here in the desert is the dreaded Lion Cut. He gets really
> miserable in the late summer. My AC can barely keep the house
> in the 90s when it is 115-120 outside... He finds the spot
> where the AC blows and lays on his back there with his legs
> in the air for most of the day. Maine Coons just aren't
> desert kitties although the couple of bobcats I've seen
> seem to have as much fur. They'll have to find someone
> besides me to help them with it. :^)

Sammy would have that problem here in Houston too, but DH keeps our AC on
deep freeze so she's usually in a sunny spot trying to warm up! ;> Even
so, I've considered using it on just Sammy still cause, as you've
demonstrated, Maine Coons seem to have enough hair for 4 or 5 normal cats.
It gets especially bad in the spring and fall when she's shedding - that's
when the mats start showing up.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Wendy
May 7th 08, 08:02 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> "Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> CatNipped > wrote:
>>>>

>> Yeah I hear you as far as the stubble.
>>
>> With Bubba, though, the first couple of times got mostly
>> undercoat. He pretty much looks the same even though his
>> coat doesn't seem quite as smooth to the touch. I'm hoping that
>> the smoothness will return in a bit. The only real alternative
>> here in the desert is the dreaded Lion Cut. He gets really
>> miserable in the late summer. My AC can barely keep the house
>> in the 90s when it is 115-120 outside... He finds the spot
>> where the AC blows and lays on his back there with his legs
>> in the air for most of the day. Maine Coons just aren't
>> desert kitties although the couple of bobcats I've seen
>> seem to have as much fur. They'll have to find someone
>> besides me to help them with it. :^)
>
> Sammy would have that problem here in Houston too, but DH keeps our AC on
> deep freeze so she's usually in a sunny spot trying to warm up! ;> Even
> so, I've considered using it on just Sammy still cause, as you've
> demonstrated, Maine Coons seem to have enough hair for 4 or 5 normal cats.
> It gets especially bad in the spring and fall when she's shedding - that's
> when the mats start showing up.
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

A friend of mine inadvertently shaved a patch of fur off her cat with the
furminator.

I prefer this:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2755173

I got one of these a couple of years ago for my cat Tigger. She had
arthritis and wasn't able to groom herself any more and was building up an
accumulation of under-fur. I was able to comb out a lot of it with the rake.

We recently used it while getting mats out of a long-haired cat we rescued.
He had been outside for years so you can imagine what his fur looked like.
We did have to cut some of the mats out and have the vet shave the tummy but
the rest we got out with the rake and the kitty didn't seem to mind. He lay
across my lap for a good 2 hours while we worked on him. I guess he was just
glad to get the mats out. Some of them were so tight they were pulling the
hair out by the roots when he moved.

CatNipped[_2_]
May 8th 08, 02:00 PM
"Wendy" > wrote in message
. ..

> "CatNipped" > wrote in message
>> "Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
>>>>>

>>> Yeah I hear you as far as the stubble.
>>>
>>> With Bubba, though, the first couple of times got mostly
>>> undercoat. He pretty much looks the same even though his
>>> coat doesn't seem quite as smooth to the touch. I'm hoping that
>>> the smoothness will return in a bit. The only real alternative
>>> here in the desert is the dreaded Lion Cut. He gets really
>>> miserable in the late summer. My AC can barely keep the house
>>> in the 90s when it is 115-120 outside... He finds the spot
>>> where the AC blows and lays on his back there with his legs
>>> in the air for most of the day. Maine Coons just aren't
>>> desert kitties although the couple of bobcats I've seen
>>> seem to have as much fur. They'll have to find someone
>>> besides me to help them with it. :^)
>>
>> Sammy would have that problem here in Houston too, but DH keeps our AC on
>> deep freeze so she's usually in a sunny spot trying to warm up! ;> Even
>> so, I've considered using it on just Sammy still cause, as you've
>> demonstrated, Maine Coons seem to have enough hair for 4 or 5 normal
>> cats. It gets especially bad in the spring and fall when she's shedding -
>> that's when the mats start showing up.
>>
>> Hugs,
>>
>> CatNipped
>>

> A friend of mine inadvertently shaved a patch of fur off her cat with the
> furminator.
>
> I prefer this:
> http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2755173
>
> I got one of these a couple of years ago for my cat Tigger. She had
> arthritis and wasn't able to groom herself any more and was building up an
> accumulation of under-fur. I was able to comb out a lot of it with the
> rake.
>
> We recently used it while getting mats out of a long-haired cat we
> rescued. He had been outside for years so you can imagine what his fur
> looked like. We did have to cut some of the mats out and have the vet
> shave the tummy but the rest we got out with the rake and the kitty didn't
> seem to mind. He lay across my lap for a good 2 hours while we worked on
> him. I guess he was just glad to get the mats out. Some of them were so
> tight they were pulling the hair out by the roots when he moved.

I've never seen these at PetsMart - it looks like it would work well on a
Maine Coon with their thick undercoating (combs, slickers or brushes with
teeth close together tend to snag and hurt). I'll have to ask about it next
time I'm there, thanks!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Claude V. Lucas
May 8th 08, 02:54 PM
In article >,
CatNipped > wrote:
>"Wendy" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Sammy would have that problem here in Houston too, but DH keeps our AC on
>>> deep freeze so she's usually in a sunny spot trying to warm up! ;> Even
>>> so, I've considered using it on just Sammy still cause, as you've
>>> demonstrated, Maine Coons seem to have enough hair for 4 or 5 normal
>>> cats. It gets especially bad in the spring and fall when she's shedding -
>>> that's when the mats start showing up.
>>>
>>> Hugs,
>>>
>>> CatNipped
>>>

>> A friend of mine inadvertently shaved a patch of fur off her cat with the
>> furminator.
>>
>> I prefer this:
>> http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2755173
>>
>> I got one of these a couple of years ago for my cat Tigger. She had
>> arthritis and wasn't able to groom herself any more and was building up an
>> accumulation of under-fur. I was able to comb out a lot of it with the
>> rake.
>>
>> We recently used it while getting mats out of a long-haired cat we
>> rescued. He had been outside for years so you can imagine what his fur
>> looked like. We did have to cut some of the mats out and have the vet
>> shave the tummy but the rest we got out with the rake and the kitty didn't
>> seem to mind. He lay across my lap for a good 2 hours while we worked on
>> him. I guess he was just glad to get the mats out. Some of them were so
>> tight they were pulling the hair out by the roots when he moved.

>I've never seen these at PetsMart - it looks like it would work well on a
>Maine Coon with their thick undercoating (combs, slickers or brushes with
>teeth close together tend to snag and hurt). I'll have to ask about it next
>time I'm there, thanks!
>
>Hugs,
>
>CatNipped

FWIW, after a few days the texture of Bubba's coat has more or
less returned to normal other than being way less thick.

I can see how it would be possible to overdo the Furminator.

CatNipped[_2_]
May 9th 08, 05:35 PM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> CatNipped > wrote:
>>"Wendy" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> A friend of mine inadvertently shaved a patch of fur off her cat with
>>> the
>>> furminator.
>>>
>>> I prefer this:
>>> http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2755173
>>>
>>> I got one of these a couple of years ago for my cat Tigger. She had
>>> arthritis and wasn't able to groom herself any more and was building up
>>> an
>>> accumulation of under-fur. I was able to comb out a lot of it with the
>>> rake.
>>>
>>> We recently used it while getting mats out of a long-haired cat we
>>> rescued. He had been outside for years so you can imagine what his fur
>>> looked like. We did have to cut some of the mats out and have the vet
>>> shave the tummy but the rest we got out with the rake and the kitty
>>> didn't
>>> seem to mind. He lay across my lap for a good 2 hours while we worked on
>>> him. I guess he was just glad to get the mats out. Some of them were so
>>> tight they were pulling the hair out by the roots when he moved.

>>I've never seen these at PetsMart - it looks like it would work well on a
>>Maine Coon with their thick undercoating (combs, slickers or brushes with
>>teeth close together tend to snag and hurt). I'll have to ask about it
>>next
>>time I'm there, thanks!
>>
>>Hugs,
>>
>>CatNipped
>>

> FWIW, after a few days the texture of Bubba's coat has more or
> less returned to normal other than being way less thick.
>
> I can see how it would be possible to overdo the Furminator.

LOL! Yeah Maine Coon's hair grows back so fast you can almost watch it
move! ;> Seriously, I could brush Sammy every single day and get a wad of
hair out as big as my head!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Claude V. Lucas
May 9th 08, 06:17 PM
In article >,
CatNipped > wrote:
>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> CatNipped > wrote:
>>>"Wendy" > wrote in message
. ..

>>>I've never seen these at PetsMart - it looks like it would work well on a
>>>Maine Coon with their thick undercoating (combs, slickers or brushes with
>>>teeth close together tend to snag and hurt). I'll have to ask about it
>>>next
>>>time I'm there, thanks!
>>>
>>>Hugs,
>>>
>>>CatNipped
>>>

>> FWIW, after a few days the texture of Bubba's coat has more or
>> less returned to normal other than being way less thick.
>>
>> I can see how it would be possible to overdo the Furminator.
>
>LOL! Yeah Maine Coon's hair grows back so fast you can almost watch it
>move! ;> Seriously, I could brush Sammy every single day and get a wad of
>hair out as big as my head!

I'm going to try the regular comb again in a day or two and see what happens.

His coat is still noticeably thinner than pre-Furminator but the
stubble effect went away after a couple of days...

I wish I had seen the PetSmart comb first, though. It's way cheaper.

CatNipped[_2_]
May 9th 08, 06:47 PM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> CatNipped > wrote:
>>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> FWIW, after a few days the texture of Bubba's coat has more or
>>> less returned to normal other than being way less thick.
>>>
>>> I can see how it would be possible to overdo the Furminator.
>>
>>LOL! Yeah Maine Coon's hair grows back so fast you can almost watch it
>>move! ;> Seriously, I could brush Sammy every single day and get a wad
>>of
>>hair out as big as my head!
>
> I'm going to try the regular comb again in a day or two and see what
> happens.
>
> His coat is still noticeably thinner than pre-Furminator but the
> stubble effect went away after a couple of days...
>
> I wish I had seen the PetSmart comb first, though. It's way cheaper.

Tell me about it - we spent $40 on the Furminator!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Claude V. Lucas
May 9th 08, 06:56 PM
In article >,
CatNipped > wrote:
>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> CatNipped > wrote:
. ..

>>>LOL! Yeah Maine Coon's hair grows back so fast you can almost watch it
>>>move! ;> Seriously, I could brush Sammy every single day and get a wad
>>>of
>>>hair out as big as my head!
>>
>> I'm going to try the regular comb again in a day or two and see what
>> happens.
>>
>> His coat is still noticeably thinner than pre-Furminator but the
>> stubble effect went away after a couple of days...
>>
>> I wish I had seen the PetSmart comb first, though. It's way cheaper.
>
>Tell me about it - we spent $40 on the Furminator!

$20 on the 'bay, shipped, but still...

I'll use it again in a few weeks when all the hair's back. :^)

CatNipped[_2_]
May 9th 08, 08:50 PM
"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> CatNipped > wrote:
>>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> I'm going to try the regular comb again in a day or two and see what
>>> happens.
>>>
>>> His coat is still noticeably thinner than pre-Furminator but the
>>> stubble effect went away after a couple of days...
>>>
>>> I wish I had seen the PetSmart comb first, though. It's way cheaper.
>>
>>Tell me about it - we spent $40 on the Furminator!
>>

> $20 on the 'bay, shipped, but still...
>
> I'll use it again in a few weeks when all the hair's back. :^)

You have a Maine Coon - the hair will be back tomorrow!! ;>

Hugs,

CatNipped

Claude V. Lucas
May 9th 08, 09:52 PM
In article >,
CatNipped > wrote:
>"Claude V. Lucas" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> CatNipped > wrote:
. ..

>>>Tell me about it - we spent $40 on the Furminator!
>>>

>> $20 on the 'bay, shipped, but still...
>>
>> I'll use it again in a few weeks when all the hair's back. :^)
>
>You have a Maine Coon - the hair will be back tomorrow!! ;>

It already is...

and it's 96 degrees out already.

Poor Bubba.