PDA

View Full Version : Attic Cat Is Out

gfc
May 4th 08, 06:40 AM
Finally she came out but not by being trapped. This is what
happened: I was gone most of the afternoon and after I came home, I
checked the traps and they were empty. I went grocery shopping and
when I got home around 9:30, I sat at the computer and checked my
email. While I was sitting at my desk, I heard a meow. I turned
around and there she was on the floor about four feet away from me. I
had to stop for a minute and think whether I was seeing things, but
then I realized that she was THE cat. I only have one orange and
white cat and that was the one. So I went upstairs and found out that
the attic door was open again! We piled about 40 lbs in front of it
and I don't know how the cats can open that door. Now she is walking
around the house meowing and looking for a way out. It looks like
she's forgotten that this is the house where she lived for four
years. Hopefully, she'll settle down soon.
Needless to say, I am very relieved.
I want to thank all of you for your suggestions and support.
Gwen

Rhonda[_3_]
May 4th 08, 06:48 AM
Yeah! What a relief that she is out.

Hope she calms down soon. At least she's getting close to you.

Rhonda

gfc wrote:
> Finally she came out but not by being trapped. This is what
> happened: I was gone most of the afternoon and after I came home, I
> checked the traps and they were empty. I went grocery shopping and
> when I got home around 9:30, I sat at the computer and checked my
> email. While I was sitting at my desk, I heard a meow. I turned
> around and there she was on the floor about four feet away from me. I
> had to stop for a minute and think whether I was seeing things, but
> then I realized that she was THE cat. I only have one orange and
> white cat and that was the one. So I went upstairs and found out that
> the attic door was open again! We piled about 40 lbs in front of it
> and I don't know how the cats can open that door. Now she is walking
> around the house meowing and looking for a way out. It looks like
> she's forgotten that this is the house where she lived for four
> years. Hopefully, she'll settle down soon.
> Needless to say, I am very relieved.
> I want to thank all of you for your suggestions and support.
> Gwen

cybercat
May 4th 08, 06:51 AM
"gfc" > wrote in message
> Finally she came out but not by being trapped. This is what
> happened: I was gone most of the afternoon and after I came home, I
> checked the traps and they were empty. I went grocery shopping and
> when I got home around 9:30, I sat at the computer and checked my
> email. While I was sitting at my desk, I heard a meow. I turned
> around and there she was on the floor about four feet away from me. I
> had to stop for a minute and think whether I was seeing things, but
> then I realized that she was THE cat. I only have one orange and
> white cat and that was the one. So I went upstairs and found out that
> the attic door was open again! We piled about 40 lbs in front of it
> and I don't know how the cats can open that door. Now she is walking
> around the house meowing and looking for a way out. It looks like
> she's forgotten that this is the house where she lived for four
> years. Hopefully, she'll settle down soon.
> Needless to say, I am very relieved.
> I want to thank all of you for your suggestions and support.
> Gwen

YAY!!! So, as it turns, out, even though she was scared, she got over it
enough
to come out of the attic. You know, this seems really good, an indication
that she
is coming around to humans. I mean, she came out and talked to you, she did
not just
come out and hide downstairs. I hope you keep her, and keep her in. I don't
think she
has forgotten that this is her home, she is just getting over the trauma.

Lynne
May 4th 08, 01:56 PM
gfc wrote:
> So I went upstairs and found out that
> the attic door was open again! We piled about 40 lbs in front of it
> and I don't know how the cats can open that door.

One of my cats can turn door knobs. He does it right in front of me to
show off. I'm afraid he will figure out the locks soon.

I'm glad everything worked out okay!

blkcatgal
May 4th 08, 02:14 PM
I am so glad that she is finally out of the attic! What a relief!

S.
---
"gfc" > wrote in message
> Finally she came out but not by being trapped. This is what
> happened: I was gone most of the afternoon and after I came home, I
> checked the traps and they were empty. I went grocery shopping and
> when I got home around 9:30, I sat at the computer and checked my
> email. While I was sitting at my desk, I heard a meow. I turned
> around and there she was on the floor about four feet away from me. I
> had to stop for a minute and think whether I was seeing things, but
> then I realized that she was THE cat. I only have one orange and
> white cat and that was the one. So I went upstairs and found out that
> the attic door was open again! We piled about 40 lbs in front of it
> and I don't know how the cats can open that door. Now she is walking
> around the house meowing and looking for a way out. It looks like
> she's forgotten that this is the house where she lived for four
> years. Hopefully, she'll settle down soon.
> Needless to say, I am very relieved.
> I want to thank all of you for your suggestions and support.
> Gwen

Candace
May 4th 08, 11:40 PM
On May 3, 10:40*pm, gfc > wrote:
> Finally she came out but not by being trapped. *This is what
> happened: *I was gone most of the afternoon and after I came home, I
> checked the traps and they were empty. I went grocery shopping and
> when I got home around 9:30, I sat at the computer and checked my
> email. *While I was sitting at my desk, I heard a meow. *I turned
> around and there she was on the floor about four feet away from me. *I
> had to stop for a minute and think whether I was seeing things, but
> then I realized that she was THE cat. *I only have one orange and
> white cat and that was the one. *So I went upstairs and found out that
> the attic door was open again! *We piled about 40 lbs in front of it
> and I don't know how the cats can open that door. * Now she is walking
> around the house meowing and looking for a way out. *It looks like
> she's forgotten that this is the house where she lived for four
> years. *Hopefully, she'll settle down soon.
> Needless to say, I am very relieved.
> I want to thank all of you for your suggestions and support.
> Gwen

That's great news!

Candace

gfc
May 5th 08, 04:37 AM
On May 4, 3:40*pm, Candace > wrote:
> On May 3, 10:40*pm, gfc > wrote:
>

> > Finally she came out but not by being trapped. *This is what
> > happened: *I was gone most of the afternoon and after I came home, I
> > checked the traps and they were empty. I went grocery shopping and
> > when I got home around 9:30, I sat at the computer and checked my
> > email. *While I was sitting at my desk, I heard a meow. *I turned
> > around and there she was on the floor about four feet away from me. *I
> > had to stop for a minute and think whether I was seeing things, but
> > then I realized that she was THE cat. *I only have one orange and
> > white cat and that was the one. *So I went upstairs and found out that
> > the attic door was open again! *We piled about 40 lbs in front of it
> > and I don't know how the cats can open that door. * Now she is walking
> > around the house meowing and looking for a way out. *It looks like
> > she's forgotten that this is the house where she lived for four
> > years. *Hopefully, she'll settle down soon.
> > Needless to say, I am very relieved.
> > I want to thank all of you for your suggestions and support.
> > Gwen
>
> That's great news!
>
> Candace- Hide quoted text -

Thank you to all of you who have given me advice and support.
Orangina thanks you too!

Gwen

Candace
May 5th 08, 07:44 AM
On May 4, 8:37*pm, gfc > wrote:

> Thank you to all of you who have given me advice and support.
> Orangina thanks you too!
>
> Gwen

"Orangina," cute name. I hope she somehow gets over her feral-ness so
she can have a happy life with you.

Candace

Cat Lover
May 5th 08, 09:22 AM
On May 4, 8:56*am, Lynne > wrote:
> gfc wrote:
> > So I went upstairs and found out that
> > the attic door was open again! *We piled about 40 lbs in front of it
> > and I don't know how the cats can open that door.
>
> One of my cats can turn door knobs. *He does it right in front of me to
> show off. *I'm afraid he will figure out the locks soon.
>
> I'm glad everything worked out okay!

Thats funny. I have a cat that likes to turn the knob to get back
inside, sometimes it scares me but usually I know its him and let him
in. take care, Judy

cybercat
May 5th 08, 12:23 PM
"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
. ..
>I am so glad that she is finally out of the attic! What a relief!
>
> S.

Yes, Sue, what a relief. The cat did exactly what I said she would do if
left alone, and there was no need for any panic, rescue groups, pulling up
floor boards etc. I am wondering how someone who lives with cats, and had
this particular cat in their house for four years, could have not known
that.

So the answer to the question I asked is, the thing to do was leave her
alone, leave the food downstairs and the attic door open and all would be
fine.

What a colossal waste of energy.

> --
> **Visit me and my cats at http://www.island-cats.com/ **
> ---
> "gfc" > wrote in message
>> Finally she came out but not by being trapped. This is what
>> happened: I was gone most of the afternoon and after I came home, I
>> checked the traps and they were empty. I went grocery shopping and
>> when I got home around 9:30, I sat at the computer and checked my
>> email. While I was sitting at my desk, I heard a meow. I turned
>> around and there she was on the floor about four feet away from me. I
>> had to stop for a minute and think whether I was seeing things, but
>> then I realized that she was THE cat. I only have one orange and
>> white cat and that was the one. So I went upstairs and found out that
>> the attic door was open again! We piled about 40 lbs in front of it
>> and I don't know how the cats can open that door. Now she is walking
>> around the house meowing and looking for a way out. It looks like
>> she's forgotten that this is the house where she lived for four
>> years. Hopefully, she'll settle down soon.
>> Needless to say, I am very relieved.
>> I want to thank all of you for your suggestions and support.
>> Gwen

Outsider
May 5th 08, 07:40 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in
. com:

> "blkcatgal" > wrote in message
> . ..
>>I am so glad that she is finally out of the attic! What a relief!
>>
>> S.
>
> Yes, Sue, what a relief. The cat did exactly what I said she would do
> if left alone, and there was no need for any panic, rescue groups,
> pulling up floor boards etc. I am wondering how someone who lives with
> cats, and had this particular cat in their house for four years, could
> have not known that.
>
> So the answer to the question I asked is, the thing to do was leave
> her alone, leave the food downstairs and the attic door open and all
> would be fine.
>
> What a colossal waste of energy.

Yeah, and you picked on the only person to _agree_ with you. tsk tsk.

You know the real problem was no one told the cat she needed to be
resuced.

About 35 years ago I lived in the home I grew up in. It was a cape cod
just as the OP described. My cat found a way into the attic and she
loved it in there. The funny thing is about 10 years earlier when I was
just a little lad _I_ loved to play in the attic also!

Lesson = leave them alone and they'll come home ....

Andy

Lynne
May 5th 08, 08:31 PM
outsider wrote:

> Yeah, and you picked on the only person to _agree_ with you. tsk tsk.

I agreed with her, but I don't post here anymore. ;--)

cybercat
May 5th 08, 08:53 PM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...
> outsider wrote:
>
>> Yeah, and you picked on the only person to _agree_ with you. tsk tsk.
>
> I agreed with her, but I don't post here anymore. ;--)

And why not? :)

Lynne
May 5th 08, 10:16 PM
cybercat wrote:
> "Lynne" > wrote in message
> m...
>> outsider wrote:
>>
>>> Yeah, and you picked on the only person to _agree_ with you. tsk tsk.
>> I agreed with her, but I don't post here anymore. ;--)
>
> And why not? :)

Too many idiots that make me want to reach through the computer and
choke them. It was always fun to tag team them with you, though!!

Mostly, really, because I don't have much time. However I have been
lurking since Levi got sick so maybe I'm hooked again?

Outsider
May 5th 08, 10:17 PM
Lynne > wrote in
m:

> outsider wrote:
>
>> Yeah, and you picked on the only person to _agree_ with you. tsk tsk.
>
> I agreed with her, but I don't post here anymore. ;--)

But if you do not post here than you are lying but if you are lying then
you post here but if you post here......

NORMAN COORDINATE!

oohh geez, sorry; damn flashbacks.

Lynne
May 5th 08, 10:46 PM
Matthew wrote:
> "outsider" > wrote in message
>> Lynne > wrote in
>> m:

>>> I agreed with her, but I don't post here anymore. ;--)
>> But if you do not post here than you are lying but if you are lying then
>> you post here but if you post here......
>>
>> NORMAN COORDINATE!
>>
>> oohh geez, sorry; damn flashbacks.
>>
> old age gets to you don't it :-) just ask Cyber

*snicker*

mariib via CatKB.com
May 5th 08, 11:00 PM
Lynne wrote:
>> Yeah, and you picked on the only person to _agree_ with you. tsk tsk.
>
>I agreed with her, but I don't post here anymore. ;--)

I've only post occasionally, but have been lurking here & on anecdotes
(*never* posted there, they'd probably throw recipes at me) for several years.
It's always too bad when regular posters go missing & I did enjoy all your
Levi stories & remember the pictures of all your pets. I also remember you
used to refer to Levi as the little sh-t which used to make me laugh because
my 4-legged black & white monster, Little Devil always deserves that same
name. He's now amost 4 years old but still gets into just as much trouble as
when he was a kitten. Yes, there's lots of idiots & it's so easy to predict
who will respond to them & more or less what they'll say, but no one says you
have to read it all! Anyway, let us know what's happening from time to time.
M.

Outsider
May 5th 08, 11:11 PM
"Matthew" > wrote in news:481f7ab8$0$7704
:

> "outsider" > wrote in message
>> Lynne > wrote in
>> m:

>>> I agreed with her, but I don't post here anymore. ;--)
>>
>> But if you do not post here than you are lying but if you are lying then
>> you post here but if you post here......
>>
>> NORMAN COORDINATE!
>>
>> oohh geez, sorry; damn flashbacks.
>>
> old age gets to you don't it :-) just ask Cyber

Nah, non of us are old. We're just fully cured.

Andy

Outsider
May 5th 08, 11:16 PM
"mariib via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> I also remember you used to refer to Levi as the little sh-t
> which used to make me laugh because my 4-legged black & white monster,
> Little Devil always deserves that same name. He's now amost 4 years
> old but still gets into just as much trouble as when he was a kitten.
..
..
..
..

aww, you love it. It's great when our older cats still act like kittens.
Even when my Topper (RB) was 15 he could still find a bit of trouble from
time to time. It was great. I hope he knows I still think about him.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsider1955/sets/72157604660952746/

Andy

cybercat
May 5th 08, 11:24 PM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...
> cybercat wrote:
>> "Lynne" > wrote in message
>> m...

>>> I agreed with her, but I don't post here anymore. ;--)
>>
>> And why not? :)
>
> Too many idiots that make me want to reach through the computer and choke
> them. It was always fun to tag team them with you, though!!
>
> Mostly, really, because I don't have much time. However I have been
> lurking since Levi got sick so maybe I'm hooked again?

Well, good, you've been missed.

mariib via CatKB.com
May 6th 08, 12:20 AM
outsider wrote:
>> I also remember you used to refer to Levi as the little sh-t
>> which used to make me laugh because my 4-legged black & white monster,
>> Little Devil always deserves that same name. He's now amost 4 years
>> old but still gets into just as much trouble as when he was a kitten.
>.
>.
>.
>.
>
>aww, you love it. It's great when our older cats still act like kittens.
>Even when my Topper (RB) was 15 he could still find a bit of trouble from
>time to time. It was great. I hope he knows I still think about him.
>
>http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsider1955/sets/72157604660952746/
>
>Andy

Sure I do! Little Devil is very lovable, curious & friendly to everyone - but
he can be sooo destructive when he decides he's bored - he's made the kitchen
his nightime playroom - in the middle of the night, we'll wake up to a loud
crash & go downstairs to find he's knocked off the counters (& yes, they
smashed) the following: an electric kettle, a breadbox, a Brita water jug, 2
ceramic cookie jars, a water jug, a glass vase with flowers last week &
probably other stuff I've forgotten. Here's some pictures of my handsome brat.
M.
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2917887950050028271wwggob - about 2-1/2 yrs
old here
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2018890770050028271LhghAY - playing with the
laser light
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2567564690050028271QJhtbb - on top of the
fridge & trying to open the cupboards
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2868996880050028271CuViTm - about 4 mos old &
cruising the kitchen
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2744709180050028271ygVkcf - again in the
kitchen
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2378748210050028271PerxSK - watching TV
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2044460350050028271xvPWlR - found him here
one afternoon

Outsider
May 6th 08, 12:33 AM
"mariib via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> outsider wrote:
>>> I also remember you used to refer to Levi as the little sh-t
>>> which used to make me laugh because my 4-legged black & white
>>> monster, Little Devil always deserves that same name. He's now amost
>>> 4 years old but still gets into just as much trouble as when he was
>>> a kitten.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>.
>>
>>aww, you love it. It's great when our older cats still act like
>>kittens. Even when my Topper (RB) was 15 he could still find a bit of
>>trouble from time to time. It was great. I hope he knows I still
>>think about him.
>>
>>http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsider1955/sets/72157604660952746/
>>
>>Andy
>
> Sure I do! Little Devil is very lovable, curious & friendly to
> everyone - but he can be sooo destructive when he decides he's bored -
> he's made the kitchen his nightime playroom - in the middle of the
> night, we'll wake up to a loud crash & go downstairs to find he's
> knocked off the counters (& yes, they smashed) the following: an
> electric kettle, a breadbox, a Brita water jug, 2 ceramic cookie jars,
> a water jug, a glass vase with flowers last week & probably other
> stuff I've forgotten. Here's some pictures of my handsome brat. M.
> http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2917887950050028271wwggob - about
> 2-1/2 yrs old here
> http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2018890770050028271LhghAY - playing
> with the laser light
> http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2567564690050028271QJhtbb - on top of
> the fridge & trying to open the cupboards
> http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2868996880050028271CuViTm - about 4
> mos old & cruising the kitchen
> http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2744709180050028271ygVkcf - again in
> the kitchen
> http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2378748210050028271PerxSK - watching
> TV http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2044460350050028271xvPWlR - found
> him here one afternoon

He sure is gorgeous but I see your point. You might have to start
epoxying everything down if he keeps up his "gravity testing".

Andy

22brix
May 6th 08, 02:29 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message
. com...

> "Lynne" > wrote in message
> m...
>> cybercat wrote:
>>> "Lynne" > wrote in message
>>> m...

>>> And why not? :)
>>
>> Too many idiots that make me want to reach through the computer and choke
>> them. It was always fun to tag team them with you, though!!
>>
>> Mostly, really, because I don't have much time. However I have been
>> lurking since Levi got sick so maybe I'm hooked again?
>
> Well, good, you've been missed.

I second that!

Bonnie

Lynne
May 18th 08, 05:09 PM
22brix wrote:

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
> . com...
>>
>> "Lynne" > wrote in message
>> m...

>>> Too many idiots that make me want to reach through the computer and
>>> choke them. It was always fun to tag team them with you, though!!
>>>
>>> Mostly, really, because I don't have much time. However I have been
>>> lurking since Levi got sick so maybe I'm hooked again?
>>
>> Well, good, you've been missed.
>>

> I second that!
>
> Bonnie

Aw, y'all are too sweet! I sincerely wish I could find a way to squeeze
more hours in the day and visit here more often! I miss hearing about
your kitties, too.