PDA

View Full Version : My cat has suddenly lost his meow

fuzzyhusseyandtimersmom
May 6th 08, 01:45 AM
My poor lil fuzzy boy has lost his meow. He purrs fine and is normal every
other way but when he tries to meow nothing comes out. At least not much more
than a squeak or a strained sound barely audible. Its not laryngitis because
he has no cough or swelling in his throat. Anyone have any thoughts or
suggestions?

blkcatgal
May 6th 08, 04:40 AM
This happened to my cat. It was an upper respiratory infection or rather, a
sore throat. I couldn't see anything but my vet could see that my cat's
throat was very red and irritated. My cat had no other symptoms other than
not being able to meow. The vet put him on a course of antibiotics and his
voice came back. You should have your cat checked by a vet.

S.
---
"fuzzyhusseyandtimersmom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> My poor lil fuzzy boy has lost his meow. He purrs fine and is normal every
> other way but when he tries to meow nothing comes out. At least not much
> more
> than a squeak or a strained sound barely audible. Its not laryngitis
> because
> he has no cough or swelling in his throat. Anyone have any thoughts or
> suggestions?

dgk
May 6th 08, 01:02 PM
On Tue, 06 May 2008 00:45:18 GMT, "fuzzyhusseyandtimersmom"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>My poor lil fuzzy boy has lost his meow. He purrs fine and is normal every
>other way but when he tries to meow nothing comes out. At least not much more
>than a squeak or a strained sound barely audible. Its not laryngitis because
>he has no cough or swelling in his throat. Anyone have any thoughts or
>suggestions?

Any sudden change calls for a visit to the vet. Since cats can't talk
(even when they can meow), it's up to us to figure out when something
is wrong.

Baldoni[_8_]
May 9th 08, 09:46 PM
fuzzyhusseyandtimersmom formulated the question :
> My poor lil fuzzy boy has lost his meow. He purrs fine and is normal every
> other way but when he tries to meow nothing comes out. At least not much more
> than a squeak or a strained sound barely audible. Its not laryngitis because
> he has no cough or swelling in his throat. Anyone have any thoughts or
> suggestions?

Has he been in the rain or cold. It has happened to my cats from time
to time.

--
Baldoni

BSJM
May 11th 08, 04:12 AM
fuzzyhusseyandtimersmom wrote:
> My poor lil fuzzy boy has lost his meow. He purrs fine and is normal every
> other way but when he tries to meow nothing comes out. At least not much more
> than a squeak or a strained sound barely audible. Its not laryngitis because
> he has no cough or swelling in his throat. Anyone have any thoughts or
> suggestions?

This happened to my parents' cat many many years ago. We had a "dumb
cane" the
poor thing was nibbling on. When we got rid of the plant, his voice
came back. We never
could figure out *why* he chewed on it, as it reportedly burns one's
mouth...

My present kitty also chewed on a different type of dieffenbachia and
ended up being quite ill
with liver problems. Apparently the calcium oxalate crystals "tear up"
ones liver (according to my vet).
Since that time I do not own any house plants. That was one dang
costly plant (after the vet bills that is). She didn't lose her voice,
just about everything else though.

Anyway, if you can't find a cause, take kitty to the vet.

good luck!

Shelly

p.s. Tasha (the sick kitty) turned out fine and her liver enzymes
returned to normal.

fuzzyhusseyandtimersmom via CatKB.com
May 14th 08, 02:31 AM
Thanks for the info. I took poor fuzzy to the vet and it turns out he has
laryngitis that bacterial so he's on a course of antibiotics and is slowly
regaining his voice (Thank goodness). I really appreciate all the responses I
have received. Its nice to know I am not the only person how worries about
the loss of our babies meows. Thanks again all of you.

--
TTFN, Andi

May 14th 08, 03:23 AM
"fuzzyhusseyandtimersmom via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Thanks for the info. I took poor fuzzy to the vet and it turns out he has
> laryngitis that bacterial so he's on a course of antibiotics and is slowly
> regaining his voice (Thank goodness). I really appreciate all the
> have received. Its nice to know I am not the only person how worries about
> the loss of our babies meows. Thanks again all of you.

Thanks for letting us know. I've never heard of that before! It may have
turned
more serious had you not taken him to the vet, so kudos to you.

dgk
May 14th 08, 01:28 PM
On Tue, 13 May 2008 22:23:17 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"fuzzyhusseyandtimersmom via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]
>> Thanks for the info. I took poor fuzzy to the vet and it turns out he has
>> laryngitis that bacterial so he's on a course of antibiotics and is slowly
>> regaining his voice (Thank goodness). I really appreciate all the
>> have received. Its nice to know I am not the only person how worries about
>> the loss of our babies meows. Thanks again all of you.
>

>Thanks for letting us know. I've never heard of that before! It may have
>turned
>more serious had you not taken him to the vet, so kudos to you.

Really, something to keep in mind the next time someone asks about a
cat losing a meow.

One of mine found a meow. Marlo was a bit timid since I plucked her
off the street last year. Sometimes she would open her mouth as if to
meow but nothing audible resulted. A few months back she began to
actually make sounds. It sounds more like Meep than meow though.

Someone here has a cat named Meep, which would be a great name for
Marlo if I hadn't already named her.

cybercat
May 14th 08, 04:26 PM
"dgk" > wrote >
> Really, something to keep in mind the next time someone asks about a
> cat losing a meow.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

> One of mine found a meow. Marlo was a bit timid since I plucked her
> off the street last year. Sometimes she would open her mouth as if to
> meow but nothing audible resulted.

My beautiful cat who died in 2001 had a silent meow all her life. At
most it came out as "k-k-k-k-k-k"

>A few months back she began to
> actually make sounds. It sounds more like Meep than meow though.
>
> Someone here has a cat named Meep, which would be a great name for
> Marlo if I hadn't already named her.

Hey I jus remembered, I wanted you to name Marlo something else! I can't
remember what it was though. ;)

BSJM
May 14th 08, 06:56 PM
fuzzyhusseyandtimersmom via CatKB.com wrote:
> Thanks for the info. I took poor fuzzy to the vet and it turns out he has
> laryngitis that bacterial so he's on a course of antibiotics and is slowly
> regaining his voice (Thank goodness). I really appreciate all the responses I
> have received. Its nice to know I am not the only person how worries about
> the loss of our babies meows. Thanks again all of you.

Glad to hear Fuzzy is getting better!

Shel