PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions: Food issues


Newbie[_2_]
May 6th 08, 05:36 AM
[A very sweet stray or runaway cat has adopted us and we, ignorant of
all cat issues, are in panic. That's why I have a few posts each with a
question.]

Food questions -

By reading around I figured canned is regarded better. So went and
bought some. But...

How many times do you feed a cat?

Where in Chicago area is the best place to buy canned cat food?

I was shocked by price jump at my nearby Petsmart. A small can of a
particular brand cost 37 cents one day and then jumped to 69, both
"sale" prices, so comparison is apples to apples.

studio
May 6th 08, 05:56 AM
On May 6, 12:36 am, Newbie > wrote:
> By reading around I figured canned is regarded better. So went and
> bought some. But...

Different people do different things as far as acquiring food for
their cat.
Personally, I feed my cat both dry and wet canned food.

> How many times do you feed a cat?

Personally, I feed kitty one small 3oz. can of wet food per day.
She can snack on kibbles the rest of the day as much as she wants.
If it's a larger male cat, they'll obviously want a bit more to eat.

> Where in Chicago area is the best place to buy canned cat food?

Supermarkets.
But if you want a larger variety to choose from, pet stores or
animal feed stores.

> I was shocked by price jump at my nearby Petsmart. A small can of a
> particular brand cost 37 cents one day and then jumped to 69, both
> "sale" prices, so comparison is apples to apples.

Yes, it seems not just human food is going up in price.
I buy Fancy Feast for kitty and just noticed it had rose
in price from .51 cents to .55 cents.
That's a low-mid-priced wet food for 3oz.

Okay, so she eats good for a full week on about $5. worth of food.

Some of the premium brands can cost .80 - $1.15 per 3oz can.

Sometimes it's just a matter of what you can afford though.

William Graham
May 6th 08, 06:05 AM
"Newbie" > wrote in message >

I was shocked by price jump at my nearby Petsmart. A small can of a
> particular brand cost 37 cents one day and then jumped to 69, both
> "sale" prices, so comparison is apples to apples.

Petsmart has pretty high prices for pet chow....I suggest supermarkets, and
look through several of them for your best buys....We generally pay less
than 30 cents a can, (at Winco) but places like Safeway charge over 50 cents
a can, so you have to shop around. We buy 5 lb. bags of dry food, so the
cats don't get tired of any one flavor too fast....They like to steal it, so
we just leave the bag on the kitchen floor, where they tear into it in the
middle of the night....:^)

dgk
May 6th 08, 01:26 PM
On Mon, 05 May 2008 23:36:50 -0500, Newbie > wrote:

>[A very sweet stray or runaway cat has adopted us and we, ignorant of
>all cat issues, are in panic. That's why I have a few posts each with a
>question.]
>
>Food questions -
>
>By reading around I figured canned is regarded better. So went and
>bought some. But...
>
>How many times do you feed a cat?
>
>Where in Chicago area is the best place to buy canned cat food?
>
>I was shocked by price jump at my nearby Petsmart. A small can of a
>particular brand cost 37 cents one day and then jumped to 69, both
>"sale" prices, so comparison is apples to apples.


There is a difference in quality in pet foods, and generally, as in
life, you get what you pay for. While debates florish, my cats have
smaller and less stinky poops using Wellness or one of the many
premium brands than Friskees or other crap. My three cats all like Pro
Plan Salmon and Rice; especially the really finicky one (Espy) who is
my favorite, so that's what they get.

They split a 3 oz can in the morning and a 6 oz can in the evening.
Plus I leave out some dry Pro Plan Salmon and Rice (yes, it comes both
wet and dry), and some Royal Canin #26, which Espy ikes.

I can't imagine why anything jumped from 37 to 69 but that is not
normal. Pricing mistake I would think. Small can do have a much higher
unit cost than larger cans though.

Upscale
May 6th 08, 02:37 PM
"Newbie" > wrote in message
> I was shocked by price jump at my nearby Petsmart. A small can of a
> particular brand cost 37 cents one day and then jumped to 69, both
> "sale" prices, so comparison is apples to apples.

First, you're going to have to find out what your cat will eat. Some cats
are very picky, like my cat. She will *only* eat kibble. I've tried all
sorts of canned stuff, it was a waste of money. For awhile I was buying Iams
eight pound bags of kibble, but eventually I switched to the twenty pound
bags available at Petsmart. It meant almost a 50% savings by buying in bulk.
I give my 12 pound kitty approximately one cup every evening, which
approximates the amount suggested on the bag for a cat of her size. If she
runs out of kibble before that, it's guaranteed that she will let me know
her food tray is empty.

Sherry[_2_]
May 6th 08, 05:54 PM
I am in the Chicago area and I usually get the best price by
purchasing a 32 can box of canned food at Target. My two former
strays share a can (they like the stuff that is "in gravy" - each gets
a dish with a half can plus a few tablespoons of water) in the morning
and then I free feed dry food, which is always available.




On May 5, 11:36*pm, Newbie > wrote:
> [A very sweet stray or runaway cat has adopted us and we, ignorant of
> all cat issues, are in panic. That's why I have a few posts each with a
> question.]
>
> Food questions -
>
> By reading around I figured canned is regarded better. So went and
> bought some. But...
>
> How many times do you feed a cat?
>
> Where in Chicago area is the best place to buy canned cat food?
>
> I was shocked by price jump at my nearby Petsmart. A small can of a
> particular brand cost 37 cents one day and then jumped to 69, both
> "sale" prices, so comparison is apples to apples.

Newbie[_2_]
May 6th 08, 08:07 PM
Sherry > wrote:

: I am in the Chicago area and I usually get the best price by
: purchasing a 32 can box of canned food at Target. My two former
: strays share a can (they like the stuff that is "in gravy" - each gets
: a dish with a half can plus a few tablespoons of water)

Thanks, and neat trick. Good way to make them drink some water. I
suppose it is easier to do this with gravy than with "pate" type food.

William Graham
May 6th 08, 08:22 PM
"Newbie" > wrote in message
...
> Sherry > wrote:
>
> : I am in the Chicago area and I usually get the best price by
> : purchasing a 32 can box of canned food at Target. My two former
> : strays share a can (they like the stuff that is "in gravy" - each gets
> : a dish with a half can plus a few tablespoons of water)
>
> Thanks, and neat trick. Good way to make them drink some water. I
> suppose it is easier to do this with gravy than with "pate" type food.

I mix a little hot water in almost all the canned foods I feed my
cats.....It is usually cold in the morning when I first open the can, and
the hot water warms it up a bit, and makes a little, "gravy" for them to
enjoy......

Upscale
May 6th 08, 09:30 PM
"Newbie" > wrote in message
> Thanks, and neat trick. Good way to make them drink some water. I
> suppose it is easier to do this with gravy than with "pate" type food.

I wouldn't really look at it as "making them drink some water". Cat's can
and should regulate their own water intake and you should have on hand at
all times a bowl of fresh water. I bought and use a self regulating water
bowl that holds approximate three quarts of water. I replace all the water
in it about twice a week making sure to clean out the scraps of kibble bits
that my kitty transfers from her food bowl to the water bowl.

Here are the water/feed bowls that I use.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2751255

---MIKE---
May 6th 08, 11:10 PM
I always let the cans sit in warm water for about twenty minutes before
opening them. The dishes are warmed in the microwave. Then I add a
little hot water to the canned food to "loosen" it up a bit. They are
not spoiled - much!


---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

cshenk
May 7th 08, 02:31 AM
"---MIKE---" wrote

>I always let the cans sit in warm water for about twenty minutes before
>opening them. The dishes are warmed in the microwave. Then I add a
>little hot water to the canned food to "loosen" it up a bit. They are
>not spoiled - much!

Grin, fill the dishes with hot tap water. Easier and adds the water
automatically if you don't drain it all out ;-)

I do like the idea of the hot water to warm a partial can. Due to a sale
(25 cents a can!) I have some 9-Lives here to try on Daisy. As far as i
know, though it may be a little lower in protien and such, it's not actually
bad for Daisy. They are the standard 6 oz or so cans so will do for 2
feedings.
Silly me but it never occured to me. Probably because I've almost never had
just one cat and when I did, he was a mixed bobcat with tabby so needed the
whole can due to his size.

Daisy is free-fed a quality dry (IAMS just now but was eukanaba last I
think, never a ashy cheapy) but gets a 3oz can a day and sometimes twice.
She just engulfed a can of 'Authority' (for kittens) liver and lamb and is
trying to lick through the bowl. She's not a kitten, but I didnt see any
harm in some being that if the price was right and it was.

I've heard 'wellness' is really good, but I havent seen it here in my area
yet.

Oh! I might mention she gets fed about 3 oz twice a day no matter what, but
many days it's leftover chicken which we mince up a bit, or a bit of pork.
This week its duck. Specifically a little meat and some minced up duck
skin. All meats used for pet food, are fixed salt free.

Matilda
May 7th 08, 02:47 AM
"Newbie" > wrote in message
...
> [A very sweet stray or runaway cat has adopted us and we, ignorant of
> all cat issues, are in panic. That's why I have a few posts each with a
> question.]
>
> Food questions -
>
> By reading around I figured canned is regarded better. So went and
> bought some. But...
>
> How many times do you feed a cat?
>
> Where in Chicago area is the best place to buy canned cat food?
>
> I was shocked by price jump at my nearby Petsmart. A small can of a
> particular brand cost 37 cents one day and then jumped to 69, both
> "sale" prices, so comparison is apples to apples.

If the price jump in cat food is something that is of concern to you - when
it comes to having children - think long and hard!

cshenk
May 7th 08, 03:28 AM
"Matilda" wrote

>> I was shocked by price jump at my nearby Petsmart. A small can of a
>> particular brand cost 37 cents one day and then jumped to 69, both
>> "sale" prices, so comparison is apples to apples.
>
> If the price jump in cat food is something that is of concern to you -
> when it comes to having children - think long and hard!

Grin, I'm with ya! WOW. Kids never were cheap but gosh it's changed!
Meantime I have 4 kids. One is 14 with brown hair and loves DS2 games, one
is 2YO and a 45lb fellow who looks like a tan beagle and barks for food at
6pm on the dot if I'm not in the kitchen, and one is 12 lbs and white and
meows alot for food.

Oh, missed one. He's 55yo and gray and barks or meows for food on a regular
basis ;-)

Carol

Nicolaas Hawkins
May 7th 08, 09:26 AM
On Tue, 6 May 2008 22:28:56 -0400, cshenk > wrote in
>:

> "Matilda" wrote
>
>>> I was shocked by price jump at my nearby Petsmart. A small can of a
>>> particular brand cost 37 cents one day and then jumped to 69, both
>>> "sale" prices, so comparison is apples to apples.
>>
>> If the price jump in cat food is something that is of concern to you -
>> when it comes to having children - think long and hard!
>
> Grin, I'm with ya! WOW. Kids never were cheap but gosh it's changed!
> Meantime I have 4 kids. One is 14 with brown hair and loves DS2 games, one
> is 2YO and a 45lb fellow who looks like a tan beagle and barks for food at
> 6pm on the dot if I'm not in the kitchen, and one is 12 lbs and white and
> meows alot for food.
>
> Oh, missed one. He's 55yo and gray and barks or meows for food on a regular
> basis ;-)
>
> Carol

Hi, Carol!

Remember me from the FidoNet cooking echo, or as N771C?

Good lord! Is your girl 14 already (and is she still starvilating
occasionally :-))? My, how tempus doth fugit - and some!

Are you still doing the navy thing? Last I heard was when you were doing
a tour of duty in Japan as a Senior CPO.

Reply privately if you wish - my E-Mail address is good.

--
Kindest regards
- Nicolaas Hawkins.

cshenk
May 7th 08, 08:35 PM
"Nicolaas Hawkins" wrote
cshenk wrote in

>> Grin, I'm with ya! WOW. Kids never were cheap but gosh it's changed!
>> Meantime I have 4 kids. One is 14 with brown hair and loves DS2 games,
>> one
>> is 2YO and a 45lb fellow who looks like a tan beagle and barks for food
>> at
>> 6pm on the dot if I'm not in the kitchen, and one is 12 lbs and white and
>> meows alot for food.
>>
>> Oh, missed one. He's 55yo and gray and barks or meows for food on a
>> regular
>> basis ;-)
>>
>> Carol
>
> Hi, Carol!
>
> Remember me from the FidoNet cooking echo, or as N771C?

Hey! We miss you there! Still alive and kicking!

> Good lord! Is your girl 14 already (and is she still starvilating
> occasionally :-))? My, how tempus doth fugit - and some!

Oh yes! She's taller than me too <happy grumble>.

> Are you still doing the navy thing? Last I heard was when you were doing
> a tour of duty in Japan as a Senior CPO.

Yup, came back at last in October this past year. On my last year before
retirement now. Now that we are back, I have pets again. 2 from the local
rescue center. 1 Dog who had heartworms (we knew and no one else was going
to adopt him it seems) and a cat who spent 18 months trying to find a home
(we were her first applicant).
xxcarol

Rene S.
May 8th 08, 04:39 PM
I don't think anyone addressed the OP's question of how often to feed
canned food. Generally, twice a day, about 12 hours apart is best. If
you are an hour or two off, it's not a big deal.

William Graham
May 8th 08, 09:50 PM
"Rene S." > wrote in message
...
>I don't think anyone addressed the OP's question of how often to feed
> canned food. Generally, twice a day, about 12 hours apart is best. If
> you are an hour or two off, it's not a big deal.

My cats let me know by migrating to the kitchen floor and waiting.....And
yes.....It happens about twice a day.....

Upscale
May 8th 08, 11:00 PM
"William Graham" > wrote in message
> My cats let me know by migrating to the kitchen floor and waiting.....And
> yes.....It happens about twice a day.....

My cat is more insidious than that. She starts yowling when her food bowl is
*almost* empty.

Ivor Jones[_2_]
May 9th 08, 08:38 AM
In ,
Upscale > typed, for some strange, unexplained
reason:
: "William Graham" > wrote in message
: > My cats let me know by migrating to the kitchen floor and
: > waiting.....And yes.....It happens about twice a day.....
:
: My cat is more insidious than that. She starts yowling when her food
: bowl is *almost* empty.

My Missy is worse than that. She telepathically *knows* when anyone in the
house even *thinks* of going to the kitchen to make a cup of coffee or
whatever and is waiting by her food bowl when you arrive..! However many
times a day that may be.

Oh, she never *finishes* what's in there, she eats half of it (wet from
pouches usually) and then lets the rest go dry and inedible, then
complains as though nobody ever feeds her..!


Ivor

Nicolaas Hawkins
May 9th 08, 10:25 AM
On Fri, 9 May 2008 08:38:53 +0100, Ivor Jones >
wrote in >:

> In ,
> Upscale > typed, for some strange, unexplained
> reason:
>: "William Graham" > wrote in message
>:> My cats let me know by migrating to the kitchen floor and
>:> waiting.....And yes.....It happens about twice a day.....
>:
>: My cat is more insidious than that. She starts yowling when her food
>: bowl is *almost* empty.
>
> My Missy is worse than that. She telepathically *knows* when anyone in the
> house even *thinks* of going to the kitchen to make a cup of coffee or
> whatever and is waiting by her food bowl when you arrive..! However many
> times a day that may be.
>
> Oh, she never *finishes* what's in there, she eats half of it (wet from
> pouches usually) and then lets the rest go dry and inedible, then
> complains as though nobody ever feeds her..!

So feed her less at a time. Not exactly rocket science.


--
- Nic.

AMUN[_3_]
May 10th 08, 10:15 PM
"Nicolaas Hawkins" > wrote in message
...
> On Fri, 9 May 2008 08:38:53 +0100, Ivor Jones >
> wrote in >:
>
>> In ,
>> Upscale > typed, for some strange, unexplained
>> reason:
>>: "William Graham" > wrote in message
>>:> My cats let me know by migrating to the kitchen floor and
>>:> waiting.....And yes.....It happens about twice a day.....
>>:
>>: My cat is more insidious than that. She starts yowling when her food
>>: bowl is *almost* empty.
>>
>> My Missy is worse than that. She telepathically *knows* when anyone in
>> the
>> house even *thinks* of going to the kitchen to make a cup of coffee or
>> whatever and is waiting by her food bowl when you arrive..! However many
>> times a day that may be.
>>
>> Oh, she never *finishes* what's in there, she eats half of it (wet from
>> pouches usually) and then lets the rest go dry and inedible, then
>> complains as though nobody ever feeds her..!
>
> So feed her less at a time. Not exactly rocket science.
>
>
> --
> - Nic.


This is the reason God invented Kibble.

Ivor Jones[_2_]
May 11th 08, 12:35 AM
In ,
AMUN > typed, for some strange,
unexplained reason:
: "Nicolaas Hawkins" > wrote in message
: ...
: > On Fri, 9 May 2008 08:38:53 +0100, Ivor Jones

[snip]

: >> My Missy is worse than that. She telepathically *knows* when
: >> anyone in the
: >> house even *thinks* of going to the kitchen to make a cup of
: >> coffee or whatever and is waiting by her food bowl when you
: >> arrive..! However many times a day that may be.
: >>
: >> Oh, she never *finishes* what's in there, she eats half of it (wet
: >> from pouches usually) and then lets the rest go dry and inedible,
: >> then complains as though nobody ever feeds her..!
: >
: > So feed her less at a time. Not exactly rocket science.
:
: This is the reason God invented Kibble.

True, but it's not wise to feed too much kibble to cats that are known to
have urinary problems. Missy has had cystitis a couple of times and as
she's not getting any younger (she's 14 this year) I don't like giving her
too much.


Ivor

AMUN[_3_]
May 11th 08, 01:05 AM
"Ivor Jones" > wrote in message
...
> In ,
> AMUN > typed, for some strange,
> unexplained reason:
> : "Nicolaas Hawkins" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > On Fri, 9 May 2008 08:38:53 +0100, Ivor Jones
>
> [snip]
>
> : >> My Missy is worse than that. She telepathically *knows* when
> : >> anyone in the
> : >> house even *thinks* of going to the kitchen to make a cup of
> : >> coffee or whatever and is waiting by her food bowl when you
> : >> arrive..! However many times a day that may be.
> : >>
> : >> Oh, she never *finishes* what's in there, she eats half of it (wet
> : >> from pouches usually) and then lets the rest go dry and inedible,
> : >> then complains as though nobody ever feeds her..!
> : >
> : > So feed her less at a time. Not exactly rocket science.
> :
> : This is the reason God invented Kibble.
>
> True, but it's not wise to feed too much kibble to cats that are known to
> have urinary problems. Missy has had cystitis a couple of times and as
> she's not getting any younger (she's 14 this year) I don't like giving her
> too much.
>
>
> Ivor
>

I'm not sure where you got the info on a tie-in with kibble and urinary
problems.
But you do have to make sure they have plenty of fresh water available as
well.
We leave several 4 quart plastic (old ice cream) containers full of water at
various locations around the house, so they never have to go far for a sip.
We also dump, rinse, and refill them with fresh water every day.


We have always just left out bowl(s) of kibble for the cats that get
refilled as soon as half is gone.
The cats regulate their own food intake, and when they know it's always
going to be there they never gorge themselves, but nibble at it several
times a day.
This also allows several cats to use one dish of food, without any blood
being shed.

Never had any overweight problems other than the normal fattening up every
winter, but as soon as spring hits they lose the weight, and are lean all
summer long.
And actually go out an hunt most of their own food when the weather is nice,
so the kibble lasts forever..

William Graham
May 21st 08, 09:17 PM
"AMUN" > wrote in message
...
> We have always just left out bowl(s) of kibble for the cats that get
> refilled as soon as half is gone.
> The cats regulate their own food intake, and when they know it's always
> going to be there they never gorge themselves, but nibble at it several
> times a day.
> This also allows several cats to use one dish of food, without any blood
> being shed.
>
> Never had any overweight problems other than the normal fattening up every
> winter, but as soon as spring hits they lose the weight, and are lean all
> summer long.
> And actually go out an hunt most of their own food when the weather is
> nice, so the kibble lasts forever..
>
I leave a 5 lb. bag of kibbles in the middle of the kitchen floor.....The
cats make believe it isn't there until we are in bed. Then, in the middle of
the night, they tear into it and scatter it all over the floor, and eat it
like there's no tomorrow......The next morning, they make believe that
nothing happened, and hope that we won't clean up the mess......:^)

Nicolaas Hawkins
May 21st 08, 09:26 PM
On Wed, 21 May 2008 13:17:23 -0700, William Graham >
wrote in >:

> "AMUN" > wrote in message
> ...
>> We have always just left out bowl(s) of kibble for the cats that get
>> refilled as soon as half is gone.
>> The cats regulate their own food intake, and when they know it's always
>> going to be there they never gorge themselves, but nibble at it several
>> times a day.
>> This also allows several cats to use one dish of food, without any blood
>> being shed.
>>
>> Never had any overweight problems other than the normal fattening up every
>> winter, but as soon as spring hits they lose the weight, and are lean all
>> summer long.
>> And actually go out an hunt most of their own food when the weather is
>> nice, so the kibble lasts forever..
>>
> I leave a 5 lb. bag of kibbles in the middle of the kitchen floor.....The
> cats make believe it isn't there until we are in bed. Then, in the middle of
> the night, they tear into it and scatter it all over the floor, and eat it
> like there's no tomorrow......The next morning, they make believe that
> nothing happened, and hope that we won't clean up the mess......:^)

A kibble-strewn kitchen floor is not the most pleasant of places to walk
in one's bare foots. (Two guesses how I know?)

--
- Nic.

pyotr filipivich
July 6th 12, 05:44 PM
"William Graham" > on Thu, 8 May 2008 13:50:40 -0700
typed in alt.pets.cats the following:
>
>"Rene S." > wrote in message
...
>>I don't think anyone addressed the OP's question of how often to feed
>> canned food. Generally, twice a day, about 12 hours apart is best. If
>> you are an hour or two off, it's not a big deal.
>
>My cats let me know by migrating to the kitchen floor and waiting.....And
>yes.....It happens about twice a day.....

Mine just starts (?Resumes??) complaining about the Help (that
would be me), and he gets fed far more often than he should.
>
--
pyotr filipivich
Obi-wan once observed"The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded."
Who knew Dubya was a Jedi Knight?

pyotr filipivich
July 6th 12, 05:44 PM
"Ivor Jones" > on Fri, 9 May 2008 08:38:53
+0100 typed in alt.pets.cats the following:
>In ,
>Upscale > typed, for some strange, unexplained
>reason:
>: "William Graham" > wrote in message
>: > My cats let me know by migrating to the kitchen floor and
>: > waiting.....And yes.....It happens about twice a day.....
>:
>: My cat is more insidious than that. She starts yowling when her food
>: bowl is *almost* empty.
>
>My Missy is worse than that. She telepathically *knows* when anyone in the
>house even *thinks* of going to the kitchen to make a cup of coffee or
>whatever and is waiting by her food bowl when you arrive..! However many
>times a day that may be.
>
>Oh, she never *finishes* what's in there, she eats half of it (wet from
>pouches usually) and then lets the rest go dry and inedible, then
>complains as though nobody ever feeds her..!

"I'm a poor neglected pussy cat, wasting away of starvation..
Nobody ever feeds me, and look at what they expect me to eat!"
>
>
>Ivor
--
pyotr filipivich
Obi-wan once observed"The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded."
Who knew Dubya was a Jedi Knight?