PDA

View Full Version : indoor cat escaped

Lee Frette
May 6th 08, 08:10 PM
We have a lot of cats. All were born in the wild and came to live with
us at various stages in their lives. When we bring them in, they are
neutered, get their shots, and never go outside again.

A seven year old female (Squeaky) came to us about 7 years ago at
around five weeks of age. A little over a week ago, she made it out
our front door, "lost it" and disappeared.

Night before last and last night she stopped by our deck, ate a little
bit, and spooked when she saw movement behind our sliding glass door.
She acted totally feral.

Our thought is to leave the sliding glass door to our deck open so
that she will re-enter the house, then "recognize" her surroundings.

We have had escapes twice before. Both times after the sun went down
the cats regained composure and were easy to catch. Not so this
time...

Any thoughts and advice would be much appreciated.

Lee (and Squeaky)

apply rot13 to:

Riannon via CatKB.com
May 9th 08, 03:58 AM
Lee Frette wrote:

>Night before last and last night she stopped by our deck, ate a little
>bit, and spooked when she saw movement behind our sliding glass door.
>She acted totally feral.
>Any thoughts and advice would be much appreciated.

How about trying a cat trap? You could ask your local Animal Control if you
could borrow one. Or you could try hiding outside and once she starts eating
you can try and grab her while someone else stays inside to open the sliding
glass door so you can run in quickly with her. Hope you catch her soon!

Riannon

Lee Frette
May 9th 08, 05:39 AM
Thanks for the reply.

We set up out a Havahart tonight (we have a 1045) with a single door
open set per Woodstreams recommendation. Salmon and Roast Beef as
bait. She showed up twice, but would not go into the trap. Last night
we had the trap on our deck, but closed with no bait to get her used
to its presence.

The chances of getting a hand on her are pretty close to zero.

She is on our deck right now. Her third pass.

At least she is staying around...

On Fri, 09 May 2008 02:58:28 GMT, "Riannon via CatKB.com" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Lee Frette wrote:
>>
>>Night before last and last night she stopped by our deck, ate a little
>>bit, and spooked when she saw movement behind our sliding glass door.
>>She acted totally feral.
>>Any thoughts and advice would be much appreciated.
>
>How about trying a cat trap? You could ask your local Animal Control if you
>could borrow one. Or you could try hiding outside and once she starts eating
>you can try and grab her while someone else stays inside to open the sliding
>glass door so you can run in quickly with her. Hope you catch her soon!
>

>Riannon

apply rot13 to:

Rhonda[_3_]
May 9th 08, 06:38 AM
It looks promising. Hopefully she'll pop in there when she's hungry enough.

I'd get rid of the roast beef and try the stinkiest fish you can think
of -- tuna or sardines, something like that.

Keep us posted,

Rhonda

Lee Frette wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> We set up out a Havahart tonight (we have a 1045) with a single door
> open set per Woodstreams recommendation. Salmon and Roast Beef as
> bait. She showed up twice, but would not go into the trap. Last night
> we had the trap on our deck, but closed with no bait to get her used
> to its presence.
>
> The chances of getting a hand on her are pretty close to zero.
>
> She is on our deck right now. Her third pass.
>
> At least she is staying around...
>

> On Fri, 09 May 2008 02:58:28 GMT, "Riannon via CatKB.com" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>Lee Frette wrote:
>>
>>>Night before last and last night she stopped by our deck, ate a little
>>>bit, and spooked when she saw movement behind our sliding glass door.
>>>She acted totally feral.
>>>Any thoughts and advice would be much appreciated.
>>
>>How about trying a cat trap? You could ask your local Animal Control if you
>>could borrow one. Or you could try hiding outside and once she starts eating
>>you can try and grab her while someone else stays inside to open the sliding
>>glass door so you can run in quickly with her. Hope you catch her soon!
>>

>>Riannon
>

> apply rot13 to:

Riannon via CatKB.com
May 9th 08, 04:14 PM
>open set per Woodstreams recommendation. Salmon and Roast Beef as
>bait. She showed up twice, but would not go into the trap. Last night
>we had the trap on our deck, but closed with no bait to get her used
>to its presence.

I agree with Rhonda about the tuna - how about a little trail of tuna leading
into the trap? You put out a very small amount, then another small amount a
little further, etc, etc, till she gets to the trap - about 3 tiny piles in
total; if she wants more (and I don't see why she wouldn't!) she'll have to
go inside to get it. Make the amount in the trap larger than the others
though. This is something that worked for a friend of mine. Good to see
she's hanging around though and as long as there's food she will.

Riannon

CatNipped[_2_]
May 9th 08, 05:30 PM
"Riannon via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> >open set per Woodstreams recommendation. Salmon and Roast Beef as
>>bait. She showed up twice, but would not go into the trap. Last night
>>we had the trap on our deck, but closed with no bait to get her used
>>to its presence.
>
> I agree with Rhonda about the tuna - how about a little trail of tuna
> leading
> into the trap? You put out a very small amount, then another small amount
> little further, etc, etc, till she gets to the trap - about 3 tiny piles
> in
> total; if she wants more (and I don't see why she wouldn't!) she'll have
> go inside to get it. Make the amount in the trap larger than the others
> though. This is something that worked for a friend of mine. Good to see
> she's hanging around though and as long as there's food she will.

My cats don't like tuna, but I've yet to find a cat that doesn't like
chicken (KFC to be precise). You might try that.

Hugs,

CatNipped

> Riannon

Lee Frette
June 3rd 08, 06:23 PM
A few days ago we successfully trapped Squeaky. Outside of being
nearly starved, she seems none the worse for wear.

We used Friskies Turkey and Giblets and Purina Kitten Chow as bait.
Those are her two favorite foods. The shicken and tuna didn't seem to
interest her.

Many thanks to everyone for the support.

Lee (and Squeaky)

On Tue, 06 May 2008 15:10:57 -0400, Lee Frette
> wrote:

>We have a lot of cats. All were born in the wild and came to live with
>us at various stages in their lives. When we bring them in, they are
>neutered, get their shots, and never go outside again.
>
>A seven year old female (Squeaky) came to us about 7 years ago at
>around five weeks of age. A little over a week ago, she made it out
>our front door, "lost it" and disappeared.
>
>Night before last and last night she stopped by our deck, ate a little
>bit, and spooked when she saw movement behind our sliding glass door.
>She acted totally feral.
>
>Our thought is to leave the sliding glass door to our deck open so
>that she will re-enter the house, then "recognize" her surroundings.
>
>We have had escapes twice before. Both times after the sun went down
>the cats regained composure and were easy to catch. Not so this
>time...
>
>Any thoughts and advice would be much appreciated.
>
>Lee (and Squeaky)
>
>apply rot13 to:

apply rot13 to:

Candace
June 4th 08, 02:14 AM
On Jun 3, 10:23*am, Lee Frette > wrote:
> A few days ago we successfully trapped Squeaky. Outside of being
> nearly starved, she seems none the worse for wear.
>
> We used Friskies Turkey and Giblets and Purina Kitten Chow as bait.
> Those are her two favorite foods. The shicken and tuna didn't seem to
> interest her.
>
> Many thanks to everyone for the support.
>
> Lee (and Squeaky)

That's great news! I'm happy for you.

Candace

James
June 4th 08, 03:02 PM
On Jun 3, 1:23*pm, Lee Frette > wrote:
> A few days ago we successfully trapped Squeaky. Outside of being
> nearly starved, she seems none the worse for wear.
>
> We used Friskies Turkey and Giblets and Purina Kitten Chow as bait.
> Those are her two favorite foods. The shicken and tuna didn't seem to
> interest her.
>
> Many thanks to everyone for the support.
>
> Lee (and Squeaky)
>
> On Tue, 06 May 2008 15:10:57 -0400, Lee Frette
>

> > wrote:
> >We have a lot of cats. All were born in the wild and came to live with
> >us at various stages in their lives. When we bring them in, they are
> >neutered, get their shots, and never go outside again.
>
> >A seven year old female (Squeaky) came to us about 7 years ago at
> >around five weeks of age. A little over a week ago, she made it out
> >our front door, "lost it" and disappeared.
>
> >Night before last and last night she stopped by our deck, ate a little
> >bit, and spooked when she saw movement behind our sliding glass door.
> >She acted totally feral.
>
> >Our thought is to leave the sliding glass door to our deck open so
> >that she will re-enter the house, then "recognize" her surroundings.
>
> >We have had escapes twice before. Both times after the sun went down
> >the cats regained composure and were easy to catch. Not so this
> >time...
>
> >Any thoughts and advice would be much appreciated.
>
> >Lee (and Squeaky)
>
> >apply rot13 to:
>

> apply rot13 to:

I wonder why she wouldn't eat the food you left out for her. Was she
sick?

chatnoir
June 5th 08, 02:15 PM
On May 9, 10:30*am, "CatNipped" > wrote:
> "Riannon via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]
>

> > >open set per Woodstreams recommendation. Salmon and Roast Beef as
> >>bait. She showed up twice, but would not go into the trap. Last night
> >>we had the trap on our deck, but closed with no bait to get her used
> >>to its presence.
>
> > I agree with Rhonda about the tuna - how about a little trail of tuna
> > leading
> > into the trap? *You put out a very small amount, then another small amount
> > little further, etc, etc, till she gets to the trap - about 3 tiny piles
> > in
> > total; if she wants more (and I don't see why she wouldn't!) she'll have
> > go inside to get it. *Make the amount in the trap larger than the others
> > though. *This is something that worked for a friend of mine. *Good to see
> > she's hanging around though and as long as there's food she will.
>
> My cats don't like tuna, but I've yet to find a cat that doesn't like
> chicken (KFC to be precise). *

Then you have not met my cats!

James
June 8th 08, 12:12 AM
On Jun 5, 9:15*am, chatnoir > wrote:

> > > I agree with Rhonda about the tuna - how about a little trail of tuna
> > > leading
> > > into the trap? *You put out a very small amount, then another small amount
> > > little further, etc, etc, till she gets to the trap - about 3 tiny piles
> > > in
> > > total; if she wants more (and I don't see why she wouldn't!) she'll have
> > > go inside to get it. *Make the amount in the trap larger than the others
> > > though. *This is something that worked for a friend of mine. *Good to see
> > > she's hanging around though and as long as there's food she will.
>
> > My cats don't like tuna, but I've yet to find a cat that doesn't like
> > chicken (KFC to be precise). *
>
> Then you have not met my cats!- Hide quoted text -

My pussy used to go wild for chicken from Chinese chicken & brocolli
dish and I used to always bring her some when I ate out. One day she
refused and since then she's only been eating Purina One. She also
checked out my dinner plate but turned her nose so often that now she
don't even bother checking.