PDA

View Full Version : Introductions not going well

blkcatgal
May 8th 08, 12:51 AM
I took in a stray semi-feral cat over 2 months ago. She lived for 6 weeks
in our basement separated from my other 2 male cats. The other 2 cats knew
something was going on and could sense the new cat behind the door and
occasionally heard her. When it was time to introduce the new cat to the
resident cats, I moved the new cat into a bedroom. I know that it is
recommended to use a screen door in place of the regular door, but I have
been unable to find a door that fits and I don't have the capability to make
a door. I have been using baby gates across the doorway which are a pain,
but they do work okay. From the first moment, my one cat took to the new
cat. They seem fine together. It's my other cat that is the problem. He
doesn't want anything to do with the new cat. He's curious and will come up
to the gate but as soon as he sees the new cat, he hisses and runs away.
This has been going on for about 2 1/2 weeks now. I have tried
everything...feeding them on either side, treats, petting him when he comes
up to the new cat, talking nice, etc. He just isn't having any part of it.
And the new cat is getting pretty antzy in the bedroom...she wants to be out
of there. Anyone have any other suggestions for helping my cat accept the
new cat? I'm just about ready to give up, let the new cat out and just hope
for the best.

Thanks.

Sue

Phil P.
May 8th 08, 01:13 AM
"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
. ..
> I took in a stray semi-feral cat over 2 months ago. She lived for 6 weeks
> in our basement separated from my other 2 male cats. The other 2 cats
knew
> something was going on and could sense the new cat behind the door and
> occasionally heard her. When it was time to introduce the new cat to the
> resident cats, I moved the new cat into a bedroom. I know that it is
> recommended to use a screen door in place of the regular door, but I have
> been unable to find a door that fits and I don't have the capability to
make
> a door. I have been using baby gates across the doorway which are a pain,
> but they do work okay.

Lowes sells nice wood frame screen door in 30", 32" & 36" widths for $20.

From the first moment, my one cat took to the new
> cat. They seem fine together. It's my other cat that is the problem. He
> doesn't want anything to do with the new cat. He's curious and will come
up
> to the gate but as soon as he sees the new cat, he hisses and runs away.
> This has been going on for about 2 1/2 weeks now. I have tried
> everything...feeding them on either side, treats, petting him when he
comes
> up to the new cat, talking nice, etc. He just isn't having any part of
it.
> And the new cat is getting pretty antzy in the bedroom...she wants to be
out
> of there. Anyone have any other suggestions for helping my cat accept the
> new cat? I'm just about ready to give up, let the new cat out and just
hope
> for the best.

Try the sock method. Put a sock over your hand and rub the new cat all
over- especially around the chin and face where the most scent glands are.
Take the other sock and do the same to your resident cat. Then rub each cat
down with the opposite sock to mingle their scents. This might help the new
cat seem a little more familiar to your resident cat.

Have there been any attacks? or just hisses?

Phil

blkcatgal
May 8th 08, 01:34 AM
Thanks for responding, Phil. I checked at Lowes and they only had the 36
inch in stock. Home Depot had nothing in stock. The door in question is 29
1/2 inches. Before I even moved the new cat to the bedroom I tried the sock
method. The "problem" cat would have nothing to do with the sock...would
hiss and swat at my other resident cat. Even swat at me. I've tried
switching blankets...that didn't go over well either. There's been hisses
and growls...sometimes he'll advance to the baby gate like he wants to
attack but then he runs away. He hasn't gotten close enough to the new cat
to have a full blown fight. And I don't want that to happen.

S.
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "blkcatgal" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> I took in a stray semi-feral cat over 2 months ago. She lived for 6
>> weeks
>> in our basement separated from my other 2 male cats. The other 2 cats
> knew
>> something was going on and could sense the new cat behind the door and
>> occasionally heard her. When it was time to introduce the new cat to the
>> resident cats, I moved the new cat into a bedroom. I know that it is
>> recommended to use a screen door in place of the regular door, but I have
>> been unable to find a door that fits and I don't have the capability to
> make
>> a door. I have been using baby gates across the doorway which are a
>> pain,
>> but they do work okay.
>
> Lowes sells nice wood frame screen door in 30", 32" & 36" widths for $20.
>

> From the first moment, my one cat took to the new
>> cat. They seem fine together. It's my other cat that is the problem.
>> He
>> doesn't want anything to do with the new cat. He's curious and will come
> up
>> to the gate but as soon as he sees the new cat, he hisses and runs away.
>> This has been going on for about 2 1/2 weeks now. I have tried
>> everything...feeding them on either side, treats, petting him when he
> comes
>> up to the new cat, talking nice, etc. He just isn't having any part of
> it.
>> And the new cat is getting pretty antzy in the bedroom...she wants to be
> out
>> of there. Anyone have any other suggestions for helping my cat accept
>> the
>> new cat? I'm just about ready to give up, let the new cat out and just
> hope
>> for the best.
>
> Try the sock method. Put a sock over your hand and rub the new cat all
> over- especially around the chin and face where the most scent glands are.
> Take the other sock and do the same to your resident cat. Then rub each
> cat
> down with the opposite sock to mingle their scents. This might help the
> new
> cat seem a little more familiar to your resident cat.
>
> Have there been any attacks? or just hisses?
>
> Phil

MaryL
May 8th 08, 02:06 AM
Lowes can special order. I have always received orders from them within a
few days.

MaryL

"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
. ..
> [...]
>>> And the new cat is getting pretty antzy in the bedroom...she wants to be
>> out
>>> of there. Anyone have any other suggestions for helping my cat accept
>>> the
>>> new cat? I'm just about ready to give up, let the new cat out and just
>> hope
>>> for the best.
>>
>> Try the sock method. Put a sock over your hand and rub the new cat all
>> over- especially around the chin and face where the most scent glands
>> are.
>> Take the other sock and do the same to your resident cat. Then rub each
>> cat
>> down with the opposite sock to mingle their scents. This might help the
>> new
>> cat seem a little more familiar to your resident cat.
>>
>> Have there been any attacks? or just hisses?

blkcatgal
May 8th 08, 02:12 AM
Even if I get the door, it doesn't help that the new cat wants out of the
room. She bangs on the door at night (we keep the bedroom door closed at
night and when we aren't home). The noise wakes me up...I'm not getting
much sleep these days and it's getting annoying!

S.

. ..
> Lowes can special order. I have always received orders from them within a
> few days.
>
> MaryL
>

> "blkcatgal" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Thanks for responding, Phil. I checked at Lowes and they only had the 36
>> inch in stock. Home Depot had nothing in stock. The door in question is
>> 29 1/2 inches. Before I even moved the new cat to the bedroom I tried
>> the sock method. The "problem" cat would have nothing to do with the
>> sock...would hiss and swat at my other resident cat. Even swat at me.
>> I've tried switching blankets...that didn't go over well either. There's
>> been hisses and growls...sometimes he'll advance to the baby gate like he
>> wants to attack but then he runs away. He hasn't gotten close enough to
>> the new cat to have a full blown fight. And I don't want that to happen.
>>
>> S.
>> "Phil P." > wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>>
>>> "blkcatgal" > wrote in message
>>> . ..
>>> knew
>>> make
>>>
>>> Lowes sells nice wood frame screen door in 30", 32" & 36" widths for
>>> $20.
>>>

>>> From the first moment, my one cat took to the new
>>> up
>>> comes
>>> it.
>>> out
>>> hope
>>>
>>> Try the sock method. Put a sock over your hand and rub the new cat all
>>> over- especially around the chin and face where the most scent glands
>>> are.
>>> Take the other sock and do the same to your resident cat. Then rub each
>>> cat
>>> down with the opposite sock to mingle their scents. This might help the
>>> new
>>> cat seem a little more familiar to your resident cat.
>>>
>>> Have there been any attacks? or just hisses?
>>>
>>> Phil

Gail[_2_]
May 8th 08, 02:22 AM
I would let the new cat wander into the house. Leave the gate open so she
can return. Supervise the cats. Hissing is not a problem. I would separate
them if they actually fight. After a time of letting her wander, put her
back in the room. This should be a gradual process. It took me over 3 weeks
to integrate an 8 week old kitten with my other cat. I think they will be OK
in time.
Gail
"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
. ..
>I took in a stray semi-feral cat over 2 months ago. She lived for 6 weeks
>in our basement separated from my other 2 male cats. The other 2 cats knew
>something was going on and could sense the new cat behind the door and
>occasionally heard her. When it was time to introduce the new cat to the
>resident cats, I moved the new cat into a bedroom. I know that it is
>recommended to use a screen door in place of the regular door, but I have
>been unable to find a door that fits and I don't have the capability to
>make a door. I have been using baby gates across the doorway which are a
>pain, but they do work okay. From the first moment, my one cat took to the
>new cat. They seem fine together. It's my other cat that is the problem.
>He doesn't want anything to do with the new cat. He's curious and will
>come up to the gate but as soon as he sees the new cat, he hisses and runs
>away. This has been going on for about 2 1/2 weeks now. I have tried
>everything...feeding them on either side, treats, petting him when he comes
>up to the new cat, talking nice, etc. He just isn't having any part of it.
>And the new cat is getting pretty antzy in the bedroom...she wants to be
>out of there. Anyone have any other suggestions for helping my cat accept
>the new cat? I'm just about ready to give up, let the new cat out and just
>hope for the best.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Sue

blkcatgal
May 8th 08, 04:33 AM
Thanks, Gail. We have been letting the new cat wander outside the bedroom
on the second floor...in the other bedrooms. She has once or twice ventured
downstairs but always runs back upstairs when I see her downstairs. It
doesn't help that the new cat, a former feral, is still quite skittish and
will hide. I know over time she will get better. The "problem" cat hasn't
encountered the new cat yet when she does get out but I know it's only a
matter of time. Also, my resident cat is now becoming a bit
standoffish...keeps to himself, has been sleeping in places he doesn't
normally sleep (on top the fridge!). I'm concerned that bringing in the new
cat has really upset him. I can sense that he is somewhat anxious. Guess
I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and hope that my resident cat comes
around soon.

S.
---
"Gail" > wrote in message ...
>I would let the new cat wander into the house. Leave the gate open so she
>can return. Supervise the cats. Hissing is not a problem. I would separate
>them if they actually fight. After a time of letting her wander, put her
>back in the room. This should be a gradual process. It took me over 3 weeks
>to integrate an 8 week old kitten with my other cat. I think they will be
>OK in time.
> Gail
> "blkcatgal" > wrote in message
> . ..
>>I took in a stray semi-feral cat over 2 months ago. She lived for 6 weeks
>>in our basement separated from my other 2 male cats. The other 2 cats
>>knew something was going on and could sense the new cat behind the door
>>and occasionally heard her. When it was time to introduce the new cat to
>>the resident cats, I moved the new cat into a bedroom. I know that it is
>>recommended to use a screen door in place of the regular door, but I have
>>been unable to find a door that fits and I don't have the capability to
>>make a door. I have been using baby gates across the doorway which are a
>>pain, but they do work okay. From the first moment, my one cat took to
>>the new cat. They seem fine together. It's my other cat that is the
>>problem. He doesn't want anything to do with the new cat. He's curious
>>and will come up to the gate but as soon as he sees the new cat, he hisses
>>and runs away. This has been going on for about 2 1/2 weeks now. I have
>>tried everything...feeding them on either side, treats, petting him when
>>he comes up to the new cat, talking nice, etc. He just isn't having any
>>part of it. And the new cat is getting pretty antzy in the bedroom...she
>>wants to be out of there. Anyone have any other suggestions for helping
>>my cat accept the new cat? I'm just about ready to give up, let the new
>>cat out and just hope for the best.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Sue

Rene S.
May 8th 08, 04:36 PM
Have you tried using a few Feliway diffusers around the house? I've
used them and they really can help. You can also add a few drops of
Rescue Remedy to all the cats' water bowls (it's an herbal formula,
www.rescueremedy.com). I've had good luck with this too.

Rene

May 8th 08, 05:54 PM
On May 8, 11:36*am, "Rene S." > wrote:
> Have you tried using a few Feliway diffusers around the house? I've
> used them and they really can help. You can also add a few drops of
> Rescue Remedy to all the cats' water bowls (it's an herbal formula,www.rescueremedy.com). I've had good luck with this too.
>
> Rene

Yes, I am using Feliway. There's a diffuser plugged in right outside
the bedroom door where the new cat is staying. I also have a diffuser
plugged in in the living room on the main floor. I've been using
Feliway off and on for close to 5 years now. I'm not convinced that
it makes a difference, but I still use it. I haven't tried Rescue
Remedy yet but that may be a good idea too. Thanks.

Rene S.
May 8th 08, 07:50 PM

> Yes, I am using Feliway. *There's a diffuser plugged in right outside
> the bedroom door where the new cat is staying. *I also have a diffuser
> plugged in in the living room on the main floor. *I've been using
> Feliway off and on for close to 5 years now. *I'm not convinced that
> it makes a difference, but I still use it. *I haven't tried Rescue
> Remedy yet but that may be a good idea too. Thanks.

You might consider getting this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Flower-Remedies-Animals-Gregory-Vlamis/dp/189917172X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210272535&sr=8-1

I've used flower remedies on one of my cats with good results. What I
like about this book is the capulated information at the back, telling
you which remedy will help for which condition. You might try Beech
for tolerance for the original cat, for instance.

cshenk
May 8th 08, 10:13 PM
"blkcatgal" wrote

> but they do work okay. From the first moment, my one cat took to the new
> cat. They seem fine together. It's my other cat that is the problem. He
> doesn't want anything to do with the new cat. He's curious and will come
> up to the gate but as soon as he sees the new cat, he hisses and runs
> away. This has been going on for about 2 1/2 weeks now. I have tried
> everything...feeding them on either side, treats, petting him when he
> comes up to the new cat, talking nice, etc. He just isn't having any part
> of it. And the new cat is getting pretty antzy in the bedroom...she wants
> to be out of there. Anyone have any other suggestions for helping my cat
> accept the new cat? I'm just about ready to give up, let the new cat out
> and just hope for the best.

I'd relax a bit on this one for now. Even though you had the new one in the
basement for 6 weeks, for your house kitties, the new one has only been
there 2.5 weeks or so. Thats not long at all.

Whatever you do, don't 'force' the issue. The two will get along better and
easier if you let them decide when and how to meet.

You could go another week with the bedroom thing, but if you decide to let
the new one roam, thats ok. The existing kitties will probably avoid your
room for now.

Your main problem is probably spurred by jealousy of the new cat and
possibly the percieved 'honor' of getting to sleep in your room with you
<grin>. Especially if the existing kitties used to sleep in there but now
cant.

There might be a kitty battle, but usually it's fast and mostly loud with
little damage. Settling of pecking order sort of thing.

blkcatgal
May 9th 08, 12:20 AM
Rene,
Have you ever heard of using Rescue Remedy transdermally...rubbing a drop
into the cat's ear? I think I read somewhere that someone used it that way.
I wonder if that is an acceptable way of using RR and if it works at all. I
found my bottle of RR and it hasn't expired yet so I did put a few drops in
my cats' water dish. Now if he would only take a drink!

Thanks.

S.
---
"Rene S." > wrote in message

> Yes, I am using Feliway. There's a diffuser plugged in right outside
> the bedroom door where the new cat is staying. I also have a diffuser
> plugged in in the living room on the main floor. I've been using
> Feliway off and on for close to 5 years now. I'm not convinced that
> it makes a difference, but I still use it. I haven't tried Rescue
> Remedy yet but that may be a good idea too. Thanks.

You might consider getting this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Flower-Remedies-Animals-Gregory-Vlamis/dp/189917172X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210272535&sr=8-1

I've used flower remedies on one of my cats with good results. What I
like about this book is the capulated information at the back, telling
you which remedy will help for which condition. You might try Beech
for tolerance for the original cat, for instance.

Rene S.
May 12th 08, 07:17 PM
On May 8, 6:20*pm, "blkcatgal" > wrote:
> Rene,
> Have you ever heard of using Rescue Remedy transdermally...rubbing a drop
> into the cat's ear? *I think I read somewhere that someone used it that way.
> I wonder if that is an acceptable way of using RR and if it works at all. *I
> found my bottle of RR and it hasn't expired yet so I did put a few drops in
> my cats' water dish. *Now if he would only take a drink!

Yes, I have. In fact, the book I linked to describes a number of ways
to administer the remedies, including in the ear and rubbing some on
your hands and then rubbing the animal's head. If you scroll down on
this page a bit, it talks about different ways to give the dosage:
http://www.allourpets.com/holistic/bach-essences.shtml