PDA

View Full Version : Maine Coon Cat

jello73
May 9th 08, 05:33 AM
I would like to hear from anyone with the problem of a cat jumping up
on tables, counters and also being very fast in going in open closets,
doors, etc., I have had many cats over a long period of time but this
8 mo. old is driving me crazy. Is it the breed? This cat has long
silky-like hair and a tail that is very furry and wide. I have had
him neutered thinking this would settle him down a little but it did
not. I have tried lightly tapping him in the face with newspaper and
I have tried spraying water in his face also constantly picking him
off the table, etc., and saying a loud "NO" Help is appreciated
and thanks!

Cat Lover
May 9th 08, 10:52 AM
On May 9, 12:33*am, jello73 > wrote:
> I would like to hear from anyone with the problem of a cat jumping up
> on tables, counters and also being very fast in going in open closets,
> doors, etc., *I have had many cats over a long period of time but this
> 8 mo. old is driving me crazy. *Is it the breed? * This cat has long
> silky-like hair and a tail that is very furry and wide. *I have had
> him neutered thinking this would settle him down a little but it did
> not. *I have tried lightly tapping him in the face with newspaper and
> I have tried spraying water in his face also constantly picking him
> off the table, etc., and saying a loud "NO" * * *Help is appreciated
> and thanks!

My cats do it all the time, I am always yelling at them. Sorry Im not
much help but your not alone. Take care, peaceful cats

---MIKE---
May 9th 08, 11:23 AM
If he is a Maine Coon, he will be a kitten for two years. My Tiger will
put his front paws on the table but that's as far as he will go. When I
tell him to get down he usually does after two or three times. Tiger is
ten years old and weighs 24 pounds.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Rene S.
May 16th 08, 09:53 PM
He's at the age where he's discovered that he can jump up on things.
Please don't use a newspaper or spray bottle. It will either make him
scared of you, or just encourage him to do it when you're not
looking.

Try one of these non-direct methods, which will startle him but he
won't associate it with you. You can put sticky strips/tape on the
table or cookie sheets with some water in them (if he dislikes water)
to discourage him. You can also put a few pennies in empty soda cans
and line them up on the edge of the counter/table. When he jumps up,
they will fall and startle him.

Also, remove ALL tempting items, food, toys, etc, so it's not as
appealing to him. Make sure he has a tall cat tree that he can jump on
instead.

cshenk
May 16th 08, 10:03 PM
"Rene S." wrote

> Also, remove ALL tempting items, food, toys, etc, so it's not as
> appealing to him. Make sure he has a tall cat tree that he can jump on
> instead.

Personally we keep the cat off the bookshelf next to the fish tank, with a
1.5 ft tall Godzilla, but then thats me and fits well in our lack of decor
;-)