PDA

View Full Version : What to do with the ashes?

-L.
May 17th 08, 08:55 AM
Since Peewee is still sitting on my mantle (after a year), and Mimi is
due to come back next week - the question remains...what should I do
with their ashes...?

Pee liked going outdoors - and I'd be inclined to put him in a pot
outside with some bulbs, though I'm not sure I want him and Mimi in
the yard here permanently. Mimi hated going outside - but I think
she'd like some flowers to chew on. ;) DH suggested sprinkling them
at the park where I put my snakes...but that's not a place they ever
were, ya know? My dog is on a beach in CA because she loved it there
- if and when the other dog goes, she will join her. I can't see
putting the cats in a place they have never been.

I also thought about getting a cat statue(s), mixing the ashes in
cement and making a base for the statue(s). Then I could plant a
memorial garden. That way, I could always take them with me when I
moved.

What to do, what to do....

MaryL
May 17th 08, 01:33 PM
"-L." > wrote in message
> Since Peewee is still sitting on my mantle (after a year), and Mimi is
> due to come back next week - the question remains...what should I do
> with their ashes...?
>
> Pee liked going outdoors - and I'd be inclined to put him in a pot
> outside with some bulbs, though I'm not sure I want him and Mimi in
> the yard here permanently. Mimi hated going outside - but I think
> she'd like some flowers to chew on. ;) DH suggested sprinkling them
> at the park where I put my snakes...but that's not a place they ever
> were, ya know? My dog is on a beach in CA because she loved it there
> - if and when the other dog goes, she will join her. I can't see
> putting the cats in a place they have never been.
>
> I also thought about getting a cat statue(s), mixing the ashes in
> cement and making a base for the statue(s). Then I could plant a
> memorial garden. That way, I could always take them with me when I
> moved.
>
> What to do, what to do....

I have always buried my cats' bodies, but I may do cremation in the future.
When I buried my cats, I planted a tree at the head of the spot where they
were buried. That served as a living memorial to them and also meant that I
could always remember the exact location. Of course, as you said, that
meant that I could not take them with me. I very much like your idea of
creating a base for a cat statue by mixing the ashes, and I have a friend
who selects a hollow cat figurine -- one that looks as much like the cat as
possible -- and keeps the ashes there. My sister-in-law ordered a memorial
stone with her cat's name and an inscription. She is going to place the
stone in her garden and bury the ashes there. Here are some examples of the
type of stone she used. (She used a flat stone, not the upright type that
look like tombstones.) I don't know where she got hers, but she was able to
have her cat's name and her own selection for an inscription engraved.
http://www.memorial-urns.com/pet_memorial_stones.html

MaryL

barb
May 17th 08, 03:01 PM
I have always scattered their ashes where they loved to be. (The back yard
and later the deck.) The wind and elements of course scatter them about the
world while hopefully their spirits remain near me. The problem with
holding on to the ashes even in a container, unless you are going to live in
the same place forever, is that as you live out your much longer life span
you are going to be moving around with a whole lot of containers, especially
if you have had multiple cats.

Barb

cybercat
May 17th 08, 04:38 PM
"-L." > wrote>
> I also thought about getting a cat statue(s), mixing the ashes in
> cement and making a base for the statue(s). Then I could plant a
> memorial garden. That way, I could always take them with me when I
> moved.

That sounds like a neat idea.

-L.
May 17th 08, 05:16 PM
On May 17, 5:33 am, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
wrote:
> "-L." > wrote in message

> > Since Peewee is still sitting on my mantle (after a year), and Mimi is
> > due to come back next week - the question remains...what should I do
> > with their ashes...?
>
> > Pee liked going outdoors - and I'd be inclined to put him in a pot
> > outside with some bulbs, though I'm not sure I want him and Mimi in
> > the yard here permanently. Mimi hated going outside - but I think
> > she'd like some flowers to chew on. ;) DH suggested sprinkling them
> > at the park where I put my snakes...but that's not a place they ever
> > were, ya know? My dog is on a beach in CA because she loved it there
> > - if and when the other dog goes, she will join her. I can't see
> > putting the cats in a place they have never been.
>
> > I also thought about getting a cat statue(s), mixing the ashes in
> > cement and making a base for the statue(s). Then I could plant a
> > memorial garden. That way, I could always take them with me when I
> > moved.
>
> > What to do, what to do....
>
> I have always buried my cats' bodies, but I may do cremation in the future.
> When I buried my cats, I planted a tree at the head of the spot where they
> were buried. That served as a living memorial to them and also meant that I
> could always remember the exact location. Of course, as you said, that
> meant that I could not take them with me. I very much like your idea of
> creating a base for a cat statue by mixing the ashes, and I have a friend
> who selects a hollow cat figurine -- one that looks as much like the cat as
> possible -- and keeps the ashes there. My sister-in-law ordered a memorial
> stone with her cat's name and an inscription. She is going to place the
> stone in her garden and bury the ashes there. Here are some examples of the
> type of stone she used. (She used a flat stone, not the upright type that
> look like tombstones.) I don't know where she got hers, but she was able to
> have her cat's name and her own selection for an inscription engraved.http://www.memorial-urns.com/pet_memorial_stones.html
>
> MaryL

Thanks for the link, Mary. Maybe I should scope around on the 'net
and see what's available.

My family must be procrastinators - I just realized we still have Mom
too. :p
-L.

MaryL
May 17th 08, 11:30 PM
"-L." > wrote in message
> On May 17, 5:33 am, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
> wrote:
>> "-L." > wrote in message

>> > Since Peewee is still sitting on my mantle (after a year), and Mimi is
>> > due to come back next week - the question remains...what should I do
>> > with their ashes...?
>>
>> > Pee liked going outdoors - and I'd be inclined to put him in a pot
>> > outside with some bulbs, though I'm not sure I want him and Mimi in
>> > the yard here permanently. Mimi hated going outside - but I think
>> > she'd like some flowers to chew on. ;) DH suggested sprinkling them
>> > at the park where I put my snakes...but that's not a place they ever
>> > were, ya know? My dog is on a beach in CA because she loved it there
>> > - if and when the other dog goes, she will join her. I can't see
>> > putting the cats in a place they have never been.
>>
>> > I also thought about getting a cat statue(s), mixing the ashes in
>> > cement and making a base for the statue(s). Then I could plant a
>> > memorial garden. That way, I could always take them with me when I
>> > moved.
>>
>> > What to do, what to do....
>>
>> I have always buried my cats' bodies, but I may do cremation in the
>> future.
>> When I buried my cats, I planted a tree at the head of the spot where
>> they
>> were buried. That served as a living memorial to them and also meant
>> that I
>> could always remember the exact location. Of course, as you said, that
>> meant that I could not take them with me. I very much like your idea of
>> creating a base for a cat statue by mixing the ashes, and I have a friend
>> who selects a hollow cat figurine -- one that looks as much like the cat
>> as
>> possible -- and keeps the ashes there. My sister-in-law ordered a
>> memorial
>> stone with her cat's name and an inscription. She is going to place the
>> stone in her garden and bury the ashes there. Here are some examples of
>> the
>> type of stone she used. (She used a flat stone, not the upright type
>> that
>> look like tombstones.) I don't know where she got hers, but she was able
>> have her cat's name and her own selection for an inscription
>> engraved.http://www.memorial-urns.com/pet_memorial_stones.html
>>
>> MaryL
>
> Thanks for the link, Mary. Maybe I should scope around on the 'net
> and see what's available.
>
> My family must be procrastinators - I just realized we still have Mom
> too. :p
> -L.

My mother died in September, and I have her ashes. Both she and my father
had requested that, and my brother-in-law before them. Our family had
donated a small "reading garden" (ornamental trees and benches for students
to use) in memory of my father and brother-in-law. We obtained permission
to scatter their ashes under those trees (well back from the walking path,
although that really would not matter). My sister and I are going to take
Mother's ashes with us when we go to Ohio this summer, and our family will
get together for a small service and scatter her ashes in the same area.

I was so sorry to hear about Mimi. I know how painful it is to go through
that experience.

MaryL

-Lost
May 20th 08, 06:56 AM
Response to "-L." >:

<snip>

> I also thought about getting a cat statue(s), mixing the ashes in
> cement and making a base for the statue(s). Then I could plant a
> memorial garden. That way, I could always take them with me when I
> moved.

Yeah, this sounds very cool. Makes me think Egyptian for some reason.

I love this idea.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

James
May 22nd 08, 04:00 AM
One might arrange to have the ashes buried with oneself or mixed with
one's own ashes and scattered.