PDA

View Full Version : Isis Is Sick

Cat Protector
May 18th 08, 04:37 PM
Hi all.

It seems that Isis is now sick and I was hoping that many of you will keep
her in your thoughts. I don't know what she has but it appears to look like
the same symptoms of a urinary blockage similar to what Icarus had. I gave
her an antibiotic which seemed to help because when I came home last night
she was producing urine normally. Now, this morning she vomited and pooped a
little but no urinecoming out. When I try to examine her, she hissed a bit
so it's obvious she's in pain. I have a call into the vet so hopefully
they'll call back. It's so sad since she's never really been sick. I
couldn't bare to lose her.

cybercat
May 18th 08, 04:47 PM
"Cat Protector" > wrote in message
> Hi all.
>
> It seems that Isis is now sick and I was hoping that many of you will keep
> her in your thoughts. I don't know what she has but it appears to look
> like the same symptoms of a urinary blockage similar to what Icarus had. I
> gave her an antibiotic which seemed to help because when I came home last
> night she was producing urine normally. Now, this morning she vomited and
> pooped a little but no urinecoming out. When I try to examine her, she
> hissed a bit so it's obvious she's in pain. I have a call into the vet so
> hopefully they'll call back. It's so sad since she's never really been
> sick. I couldn't bare to lose her.

Oh, no. I hope it is nothing serious, CP. I am so glad you are getting her
to the
vet asap.

Cat Protector
May 18th 08, 05:19 PM
As soon as the vet calls me back, she's going in. It's a crap shoot on
Sundays but he usually has boarders. The problem is, how did she get
blocked? She's the one cat that never gets sick. I tried to get Prednisone
and Amoxicillian in her but she's pretty difficult. Every time I try, she
hisses or manages to get her front paws free. It really makes me crazy
knowing there is nothing else I can do until she goes into the vet. I'd take
her to the emergency vet but they're very expensive.

> Oh, no. I hope it is nothing serious, CP. I am so glad you are getting her
> to the
> vet asap.

Candace
May 18th 08, 08:55 PM
On May 18, 8:37*am, "Cat Protector" > wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> It seems that Isis is now sick and I was hoping that many of you will keep
> her in your thoughts. I don't know what she has but it appears to look like
> the same symptoms of a urinary blockage similar to what Icarus had. I gave
> her an antibiotic which seemed to help because when I came home last night
> she was producing urine normally. Now, this morning she vomited and pooped a
> little but no urinecoming out. When I try to examine her, she hissed a bit
> so it's obvious she's in pain. I have a call into the vet so hopefully
> they'll call back. It's so sad since she's never really been sick. I
> couldn't bare to lose her.

I certainly hope it's nothing serious; you've had more than your share
of veterinary problems lately. Poor Isis.

Candace

Cat Protector
May 18th 08, 10:10 PM
Hi Candace.

I brought her into the vet today and it may be a urniary tract issue. Her
urine PH was normal but her white cell count was pretty high. Luckily, her
bladder had very little urine in it so she isn't blocked. The vet examined
her and gave her fluid and a shot of anti-biotics. She is back home now and
I have to give her liquid antibitics every day for few days. It's unknown
what caused the issue. She's been a pretty healthy cat.

"Candace" > wrote in message
..
I certainly hope it's nothing serious; you've had more than your share
of veterinary problems lately. Poor Isis.

Candace

Spot[_2_]
May 19th 08, 02:17 AM
If you have other cats I would isolate her with her own litter box till this
is cleared up. I had one cat pass it onto another once because I didn't
keep them seperate.

Celeste

"Cat Protector" > wrote in message
> Hi Candace.
>
> I brought her into the vet today and it may be a urniary tract issue. Her
> urine PH was normal but her white cell count was pretty high. Luckily, her
> bladder had very little urine in it so she isn't blocked. The vet examined
> her and gave her fluid and a shot of anti-biotics. She is back home now
> and I have to give her liquid antibitics every day for few days. It's
> unknown what caused the issue. She's been a pretty healthy cat.
>

> "Candace" > wrote in message
> ..
> I certainly hope it's nothing serious; you've had more than your share
> of veterinary problems lately. Poor Isis.
>
> Candace

Cat Protector
May 19th 08, 07:00 AM
A cat can't catch a urinary tract infection from another cat.

"Spot" > wrote in message
news:%[email protected]
> If you have other cats I would isolate her with her own litter box till
> this is cleared up. I had one cat pass it onto another once because I
> didn't keep them seperate.

Rene S.
May 19th 08, 03:46 PM
CP, had you been feeding both cats an all-canned diet?

Cat Protector
May 19th 08, 04:19 PM
Yes. Both are on canned food. The vet says it isn't uncommon for female cats
to have urinary tract issues. It is rare however that they have blockages
like the male cats get. Right now, Isis is on anti-biotics and they seem to
be working. She's doing much better today but it was worrisome yesterday
considering she was harly eating and was going back to the litterbox several
times.

"Rene S." > wrote in message
> CP, had you been feeding both cats an all-canned diet?

cybercat
May 19th 08, 04:22 PM
"Cat Protector" > wrote
> Right now, Isis is on anti-biotics and they seem to
> be working. She's doing much better today but it was worrisome yesterday
> considering she was harly eating and was going back to the litterbox
> several times.

I'm really glad she is better, CP.

Rene S.
May 19th 08, 05:38 PM
On May 19, 10:19*am, "Cat Protector" > wrote:
> Yes. Both are on canned food. The vet says it isn't uncommon for female cats
> to have urinary tract issues. It is rare however that they have blockages
> like the male cats get. Right now, Isis is on anti-biotics and they seem to
> be working. She's doing much better today but it was worrisome yesterday
> considering she was harly eating and was going back to the litterbox several
> times.
>
> "Rene S." > wrote in message

> > CP, had you been feeding both cats an all-canned diet?

That's good to know. Certainly keep them both on the canned!

Cat Protector
May 19th 08, 08:00 PM
Thanks. Yesterday and the night before she was hardly eating anything. That
was a sign right there that I knew something was wrong so I started her on
anti-biotics which the vet said was a smart thing to do. But when she was
making several trips to the litterbox and hardly any urine was coming out, I
put a call into the vet. and I brought her in. My vet normally isn't open
for business on Sundays but he has boarders so he comes in to take care of
them.

Isis was a bit fussy but he said her PH level was normal but her white cell
count was high so she obviously was fighting some kind of infection. Isis is
on anti-biotics now but it was pretty scary yesterday.

"cybercat" > wrote in message
om...

> "Cat Protector" > wrote
> > Right now, Isis is on anti-biotics and they seem to
>> be working. She's doing much better today but it was worrisome yesterday
>> considering she was harly eating and was going back to the litterbox
>> several times.
>
> I'm really glad she is better, CP.

Candace
May 20th 08, 03:00 AM
On May 19, 12:00*pm, "Cat Protector" > wrote:
> Thanks. Yesterday and the night before she was hardly eating anything. That
> was a sign right there that I knew something was wrong so I started her on
> anti-biotics which the vet said was a smart thing to do. But when she was
> making several trips to the litterbox and hardly any urine was coming out, I
> put a call into the vet. and I brought her in. My vet normally isn't open
> for business on Sundays but he has boarders so he comes in to take care of
> them.
>
> Isis was a bit fussy but he said her PH level was normal but her white cell
> count was high so she obviously was fighting some kind of infection. Isis is
> on anti-biotics now but it was pretty scary yesterday.

That's good. Wishing her a speedy recovery and no more vet bills for
you for a looooong time.

Candace

Cat Protector
May 20th 08, 04:33 AM
Thanks Candace. She needs to be healthy if she intends on running for
President. As for the vet bills, I still have to pay them off but at least
she got the care she needed as does Icarus.

"Candace" > wrote in message
That's good. Wishing her a speedy recovery and no more vet bills for
you for a looooong time.

Candace

Cat Protector
May 27th 08, 06:30 PM
For those who were following her last issue, Isis looked like she was on the
mend but last night and early this morning she threw up. I gave her a
hairball remedy last night before going to bed but apparently that didn't
help much. She also didn't want to eat this morning. I also gave her
anti-biotics and Prednisone

--
Nohl Rosen
Panther TEK

www.panthertekit.com
"Cat Protector" > wrote in message
> Hi all.
>
> It seems that Isis is now sick and I was hoping that many of you will keep
> her in your thoughts. I don't know what she has but it appears to look
> like the same symptoms of a urinary blockage similar to what Icarus had. I
> gave her an antibiotic which seemed to help because when I came home last
> night she was producing urine normally. Now, this morning she vomited and
> pooped a little but no urinecoming out. When I try to examine her, she
> hissed a bit so it's obvious she's in pain. I have a call into the vet so
> hopefully they'll call back. It's so sad since she's never really been
> sick. I couldn't bare to lose her.

cybercat
May 27th 08, 06:34 PM
"Cat Protector" > wrote in message
> For those who were following her last issue, Isis looked like she was on
> the mend but last night and early this morning she threw up. I gave her a
> hairball remedy last night before going to bed but apparently that didn't
> help much. She also didn't want to eat this morning. I also gave her
> anti-biotics and Prednisone

Oh, poor baby. And you too, you have really been through it lately.
Hope she feels better.

Rene S.
May 27th 08, 09:37 PM
On May 27, 12:30*pm, "Cat Protector" > wrote:
> For those who were following her last issue, Isis looked like she was on the
> mend but last night and early this morning she threw up. I gave her a
> hairball remedy last night before going to bed but apparently that didn't
> help much. She also didn't want to eat this morning. I also gave her
> anti-biotics and Prednisone

Is Isis on Clavamox by any chance? If so, Clavamox is known to often
put cats off food and cause vomiting. If this is the case, call your
vet, let him know what's going on, and request a different antibiotic.

Cat Protector
May 27th 08, 10:05 PM
No. She's on Amoxicillin. The vet is having me take her off of it and see if
she continues to have problems. He also wanted me to put her in the bathroom
and isolate her to see if she throws up again. If she does, her vet says
that she might need to be brought in for a re-check. Her tests from her last
visit are back and she has no urinary tract infection. The vet seems to
think that her medication is causing her to have an upset stomach. She still
must've been fighting something though because she just wasn't herself the
first time this occurred.

"Rene S." > wrote in message
On May 27, 12:30 pm, "Cat Protector" > wrote:
> For those who were following her last issue, Isis looked like she was on
> the
> mend but last night and early this morning she threw up. I gave her a
> hairball remedy last night before going to bed but apparently that didn't
> help much. She also didn't want to eat this morning. I also gave her
> anti-biotics and Prednisone

Is Isis on Clavamox by any chance? If so, Clavamox is known to often
put cats off food and cause vomiting. If this is the case, call your
vet, let him know what's going on, and request a different antibiotic.

cybercat
May 27th 08, 10:38 PM
"Cat Protector" > wrote in message
> No. She's on Amoxicillin.

Amoxicillin made me feel stomach sick when I took it years ago.

Cat Protector
May 28th 08, 02:34 AM
No. Isis was on Amoxicillin. The vet is having me take her off of it for
24-36 hours to see if the vomiting persists or not. A while ago she ate her
food normally and seems to be a bit better. Her meow is still scratchy
though.

"Rene S." > wrote in message
On May 27, 12:30 pm, "Cat Protector" > wrote:
> For those who were following her last issue, Isis looked like she was on
> the
> mend but last night and early this morning she threw up. I gave her a
> hairball remedy last night before going to bed but apparently that didn't
> help much. She also didn't want to eat this morning. I also gave her
> anti-biotics and Prednisone

Is Isis on Clavamox by any chance? If so, Clavamox is known to often
put cats off food and cause vomiting. If this is the case, call your
vet, let him know what's going on, and request a different antibiotic.

Cat Protector
May 28th 08, 02:35 AM
Thanks.

"cybercat" > wrote in message
om...
> Oh, poor baby. And you too, you have really been through it lately.
> Hope she feels better.

22brix
May 28th 08, 05:16 AM
Clavamox is Amoxicillin with Clavulanate added to it and could definitely be
causing an upset stomach. I given it to my cats before--most of the time
they tolerate it fine but several times I've had a cat get loose stools
and/or nausea with Clavamox.

I hope Isis starts to feel better, soon!

Bonnie

"Cat Protector" > wrote in message
> No. She's on Amoxicillin. The vet is having me take her off of it and see
> if she continues to have problems. He also wanted me to put her in the
> bathroom and isolate her to see if she throws up again. If she does, her
> vet says that she might need to be brought in for a re-check. Her tests
> from her last visit are back and she has no urinary tract infection. The
> vet seems to think that her medication is causing her to have an upset
> stomach. She still must've been fighting something though because she just
> wasn't herself the first time this occurred.
>

> "Rene S." > wrote in message
> On May 27, 12:30 pm, "Cat Protector" > wrote:
>> For those who were following her last issue, Isis looked like she was on
>> the
>> mend but last night and early this morning she threw up. I gave her a
>> hairball remedy last night before going to bed but apparently that didn't
>> help much. She also didn't want to eat this morning. I also gave her
>> anti-biotics and Prednisone
>
> Is Isis on Clavamox by any chance? If so, Clavamox is known to often
> put cats off food and cause vomiting. If this is the case, call your
> vet, let him know what's going on, and request a different antibiotic.

Cat Protector
May 28th 08, 02:31 PM
She's starting to do better. She's eating and hasn't thrown up but I'm
crossing my fingers. Thanks.

icinternet...