PDA

View Full Version : Cat Throws Up


LauraM[_2_]
May 21st 08, 03:16 PM
Does anybody have a clue as to why, almost every morning, my cat
throws up? He's 13 and this has been going on for years. I can only
give him four pellets of food at a time, with each dispense of food
being about 45 minutes apart. Only then will he not throw up.

He doesn't eat any people food and he's not on any meds. He's very
healthy in fact and has his regular exams and teeth cleaning as
needed. He's so loved and I know he's happy. It's just this darned
throwing up. I don't get it.

LauraM[_2_]
May 21st 08, 03:36 PM
On May 21, 7:30*am, "Matthew" >
wrote:

> is it the same food over the years *if so it might be a food allergy

I've changed his food several times over the years based on my vet's
recommendation. He still throws up. And what's even weirder is that
he only throws up in the morning.

zob
May 21st 08, 07:28 PM
On Wed, 21 May 2008 07:16:58 -0700 (PDT), LauraM
> wrote:

>Does anybody have a clue as to why, almost every morning, my cat
>throws up? He's 13 and this has been going on for years. I can only
>give him four pellets of food at a time, with each dispense of food
>being about 45 minutes apart. Only then will he not throw up.
>
>He doesn't eat any people food and he's not on any meds. He's very
>healthy in fact and has his regular exams and teeth cleaning as
>needed. He's so loved and I know he's happy. It's just this darned
>throwing up. I don't get it.

It's probably not the same thing, buy one of my cats throws up every
time I feed him *if* I don't leave some food out for him all the time.
He'll scarf the food down so fast that he doesn't chew it and then
promptly throws it back up. Are you leaving some dry food out at
night that's available for your cat to nibble on so he's not so hungry
by morning that he wants to inhale his food in the morning?
---
Zob

LauraM[_2_]
May 21st 08, 07:48 PM
On May 21, 11:28*am, zob <[email protected] cox.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 21 May 2008 07:16:58 -0700 (PDT), LauraM
>
> > wrote:
> >Does anybody have a clue as to why, almost every morning, my cat
> >throws up? *He's 13 and this has been going on for years. *I can only
> >give him four pellets of food at a time, with each dispense of food
> >being about 45 minutes apart. *Only then will he not throw up.
>
> >He doesn't eat any people food and he's not on any meds. *He's very
> >healthy in fact and has his regular exams and teeth cleaning as
> >needed. *He's so loved and I know he's happy. *It's just this darned
> >throwing up. *I don't get it.
>
> It's probably not the same thing, buy one of my cats throws up every
> time I feed him *if* I don't leave some food out for him all the time.
> He'll scarf the food down so fast that he doesn't chew it and then
> promptly throws it back up. * Are you leaving some dry food out at
> night that's available for your cat to nibble on so he's not so hungry
> by morning that he wants to inhale his food in the morning?
> ---
> Zob

Hmm...I never thought about that, but I think you're right! He does
scarf the food down fast and I'll bet he barely chews. Maybe I'll try
leaving some out at night for him. I'll try that tonight. I'd hate
to think I'm starving my 20 lb. cat for cryin' out loud! *snicker*

Claude V. Lucas
May 21st 08, 07:56 PM
In article >,
LauraM > wrote:
>On May 21, 11:28*am, zob <[email protected] cox.net> wrote:
>> On Wed, 21 May 2008 07:16:58 -0700 (PDT), LauraM
>>
>> > wrote:
>> >Does anybody have a clue as to why, almost every morning, my cat
>> >throws up? *He's 13 and this has been going on for years. *I can only
>> >give him four pellets of food at a time, with each dispense of food
>> >being about 45 minutes apart. *Only then will he not throw up.
>>
>> >He doesn't eat any people food and he's not on any meds. *He's very
>> >healthy in fact and has his regular exams and teeth cleaning as
>> >needed. *He's so loved and I know he's happy. *It's just this darned
>> >throwing up. *I don't get it.
>>
>> It's probably not the same thing, buy one of my cats throws up every
>> time I feed him *if* I don't leave some food out for him all the time.
>> He'll scarf the food down so fast that he doesn't chew it and then
>> promptly throws it back up. * Are you leaving some dry food out at
>> night that's available for your cat to nibble on so he's not so hungry
>> by morning that he wants to inhale his food in the morning?
>> ---
>> Zob
>
>Hmm...I never thought about that, but I think you're right! He does
>scarf the food down fast and I'll bet he barely chews. Maybe I'll try
>leaving some out at night for him. I'll try that tonight. I'd hate
>to think I'm starving my 20 lb. cat for cryin' out loud! *snicker*

When I first got Bubba, he would gobble his kibble as if he were
starving and then throw it back up. I switched him to Royal Canin
Maine Coon formula that has larger chunks that force him to chew
it instead of inhaling it. He still occasionally throws up but
nowhere near as much as with the smaller kibble.

cybercat
May 21st 08, 08:02 PM
"LauraM" > wrote
>Hmm...I never thought about that, but I think you're right! He does
>scarf the food down fast and I'll bet he barely chews.

Dry food expands in the stomach and makes cats who eat fast throw
up. It can also cause urinary tract problems, particularly in males.

Your boy would do better on quality canned food fed in equal portions
12 hours apart. Many cats eat too much dry because they are looking
for satisfaction they are never going to get from that starchy crap.

Feeding him canned is better for him all the way around, and he might
just change his attitude about food too.

Most people who feed dry food do it for convenience and because it
is usually much cheaper.

Rene S.
May 21st 08, 08:08 PM
> Your boy would do better on quality canned food fed in equal portions
> 12 hours apart. Many cats eat too much dry because they are looking
> for satisfaction they are never going to get from that starchy crap.
>
> Feeding him canned is better for him all the way around, and he might
> just change his attitude about food too.
>
> Most people who feed dry food do it for convenience and because it
> is usually much cheaper.

I agree with feeding canned food. One of my boys used to vomit a lot
when he was on dry. With the canned I have few vomiting incidents
(unless, of course, he has a hairball).

Mac Cool
May 21st 08, 09:44 PM
LauraM:

> almost every morning, my cat
> throws up?

Mine does this too. I thought it was because he was eating too fast so I
started giving him just a little food, waiting a half hour then giving him
the rest but he still threw up even the little bit of food. It happens
maybe ten times per month. He won't eat canned food. I starved him for two
days once trying to get him to eat canned food and he will only lick it
then walk away. I also tried mixing it with his dry food but then he won't
eat either.

LauraM[_2_]
May 21st 08, 11:55 PM
On May 21, 12:02*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "LauraM" > wrote
>
> >Hmm...I never thought about that, but I think you're right! *He does
> >scarf the food down fast and I'll bet he barely chews.
>
> Dry food expands in the stomach and makes cats who eat fast throw
> up. It can also cause urinary tract problems, particularly in males.
>
> Your boy would do better on quality canned food fed in equal portions
> 12 hours apart. Many cats eat too much dry because they are looking
> for satisfaction they are never going to get from that starchy crap.
>
> Feeding him canned is better for him all the way around, and he might
> just change his attitude about food too.
>
> Most people who feed dry food do it for convenience and because it
> is usually much cheaper.

Interesting. Do you have any recommendations on canned food? Money
isn't an issue because nothing's too good for my boy!

blkcatgal
May 22nd 08, 12:23 AM
I recommend Wellness canned foods. They are grain free. I have been
feeding my cats Wellness canned for awhile now. They love it.

S.
--
**Visit me and my cats at http://www.island-cats.com/ **
---
"LauraM" > wrote in message
...
On May 21, 12:02 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "LauraM" > wrote
>
> >Hmm...I never thought about that, but I think you're right! He does
> >scarf the food down fast and I'll bet he barely chews.
>
> Dry food expands in the stomach and makes cats who eat fast throw
> up. It can also cause urinary tract problems, particularly in males.
>
> Your boy would do better on quality canned food fed in equal portions
> 12 hours apart. Many cats eat too much dry because they are looking
> for satisfaction they are never going to get from that starchy crap.
>
> Feeding him canned is better for him all the way around, and he might
> just change his attitude about food too.
>
> Most people who feed dry food do it for convenience and because it
> is usually much cheaper.

Interesting. Do you have any recommendations on canned food? Money
isn't an issue because nothing's too good for my boy!

cybercat
May 22nd 08, 01:10 AM
"LauraM" > wrote:.

>Interesting. Do you have any recommendations on canned food? Money
>isn't an issue because nothing's too good for my boy!

Laura,

I recommend any canned food with real meat as a first ingredient--e.g. beef,
chicken, or maybe fish, though there can be problems with fish-based
catfood. In other words, any canned food that does not have "meat
byproducts" as a first ingredient. I also look for foods with no wheat as I
think one of my cats has an allergy to wheat.

I buy Fancy Feast, because it is easy to find and they love it and do well
on it.

Cat Protector
May 22nd 08, 04:00 AM
Have you tried using a hairball remedy? Also, when do you feed him. If it's
in the morning and he throws up right after eating it could be either the
food or he's a fast eater.


"LauraM" > wrote in message
...
> Does anybody have a clue as to why, almost every morning, my cat
> throws up? He's 13 and this has been going on for years. I can only
> give him four pellets of food at a time, with each dispense of food
> being about 45 minutes apart. Only then will he not throw up.
>
> He doesn't eat any people food and he's not on any meds. He's very
> healthy in fact and has his regular exams and teeth cleaning as
> needed. He's so loved and I know he's happy. It's just this darned
> throwing up. I don't get it.

LauraM[_2_]
May 22nd 08, 04:21 PM
On May 21, 8:00*pm, "Cat Protector" > wrote:
> Have you tried using a hairball remedy? Also, when do you feed him. If it's
> in the morning and he throws up right after eating it could be either the
> food or he's a fast eater.
>
> "LauraM" > wrote in message
>
> ...
>
>
>
> > Does anybody have a clue as to why, almost every morning, my cat
> > throws up? *He's 13 and this has been going on for years. *I can only
> > give him four pellets of food at a time, with each dispense of food
> > being about 45 minutes apart. *Only then will he not throw up.
>
> > He doesn't eat any people food and he's not on any meds. *He's very
> > healthy in fact and has his regular exams and teeth cleaning as
> > needed. *He's so loved and I know he's happy. *It's just this darned
> > throwing up. *I don't get it.- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

My little darling is just a fast eater. He's so funny. I'm going to
try canned food once, but I fear that if he throws that up it'll be a
mess. I use a hairball remedy that he licks off my finger. I think
it's called Laxaire or something like that. He does pretty well
getting the hairballs up when he doesn't have any food in his
stomach. So he does try to be neat about it. :^)

Rene S.
May 22nd 08, 04:44 PM
On May 21, 6:23*pm, "blkcatgal" > wrote:
> I recommend Wellness canned foods. *They are grain free. *I have been
> feeding my cats Wellness canned for awhile now. *They love it.
>
> S.

I also like Wellness and use it regularly. Other good ones are Innova
and Nature's Variety.

cybercat
May 22nd 08, 05:57 PM
"LauraM" > wrote
>My little darling is just a fast eater. He's so funny. I'm going to
>try canned food once, but I fear that if he throws that up it'll be a
>mess. I use a hairball remedy that he licks off my finger. I think
>it's called Laxaire or something like that. He does pretty well
>getting the hairballs up when he doesn't have any food in his
>stomach. So he does try to be neat about it. :^)

Please give the canned food more of a chance. Living things are
"messy." If you don't want mess get a stuffed cat.

zob
May 23rd 08, 01:34 AM
On Wed, 21 May 2008 15:02:02 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>
>"LauraM" > wrote
>>Hmm...I never thought about that, but I think you're right! He does
>>scarf the food down fast and I'll bet he barely chews.
>
>Dry food expands in the stomach and makes cats who eat fast throw
>up. It can also cause urinary tract problems, particularly in males.
>
>Your boy would do better on quality canned food fed in equal portions
>12 hours apart. Many cats eat too much dry because they are looking
>for satisfaction they are never going to get from that starchy crap.

You can't make a blanket statement like that about all dry cat foods;
it's misleading. I feed my cats a low-glycemic food that is all
vegetables and protein without a bunch of grain fillers. You just
need to shop more carefully.
---
Zob

zob
May 23rd 08, 01:54 AM
On Wed, 21 May 2008 12:08:29 -0700 (PDT), "Rene S."
> wrote:

>
>> Your boy would do better on quality canned food fed in equal portions
>> 12 hours apart. Many cats eat too much dry because they are looking
>> for satisfaction they are never going to get from that starchy crap.
>>
>> Feeding him canned is better for him all the way around, and he might
>> just change his attitude about food too.
>>
>> Most people who feed dry food do it for convenience and because it
>> is usually much cheaper.
>
>I agree with feeding canned food. One of my boys used to vomit a lot
>when he was on dry. With the canned I have few vomiting incidents
>(unless, of course, he has a hairball).

Lord knows I've tried feeding my cats canned food. They will
absolutely not eat it, and I've tried several different brands from
cheap to expensive. (The vet told me that *all* cats like "Fancy
Feast," and recommended it. She obviously hadn't met Yoda and Onyx,
because they turned their noses up at it. If I put canned cat food
out for them, they may taste it, then it will just sit in the dish
until it stinks and I have to throw it out -- while they cry because
they're hungry. (Yoda actually turns around, scratches the floor and
tries to bury it -- I don't have to guess what *he* thinks about it!).
Ironically, they both *love* the moist cat food in the foil packets --
but my veterinarian told me to absolutely not feed them this; she acts
like they put poison in it. So I have no choice but to feed them dry
food.

Yoda has severe skin allergies -- apparently to the processed grains
in most dry cat foods (I was having to take him to get prednisone
shots every 3 months) -- but thankfully I've found one which they both
like and do very well on: A couple of months ago I switched them to
"The Goodlife Recipe;" it has only vegetables, chicken and brown rice
(a whole grain) with no starchy fillers, processed grains, artificial
flavors or preservatives. I can get it at WalMart, and it's not all
that expensive. I'm very happy that I found something that they will
both eat -- and apparently is maintaining their coats, skin and
overall health. Yoda's skin especially has cleared up without any
further steroids; no more sores or plugs of fur coming out.
---
Zob

LauraM[_2_]
May 23rd 08, 09:16 PM
On May 22, 9:57*am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "LauraM" > wrote
>
> >My little darling is just a fast eater. *He's so funny. *I'm going to
> >try canned food once, but I fear that if he throws that up it'll be a
> >mess. *I use a hairball remedy that he licks off my finger. *I think
> >it's called Laxaire or something like that. *He does pretty well
> >getting the hairballs up when he doesn't have any food in his
> >stomach. *So he does try to be neat about it. *:^)
>
> Please give the canned food more of a chance. Living things are
> "messy." If you don't want mess get a stuffed cat.

Believe me, I've had cats all my life. Lord knows I'm not afraid of a
mess. I was just trying to be funny. So don't be so judgmental.

cybercat
May 23rd 08, 09:26 PM
"LauraM" > wrote:

>Believe me, I've had cats all my life. Lord knows I'm >not afraid of a
>mess. I was just trying to be funny. So >don't be so judgmental.

I take your point, but really, if you have had cats all your life, why
haven't you made the connection between dry food, eating fast, and barfing?

cshenk
May 23rd 08, 10:17 PM
"zob" wrote

>>> Most people who feed dry food do it for convenience and because it
>>> is usually much cheaper.

> Lord knows I've tried feeding my cats canned food. They will
> absolutely not eat it, and I've tried several different brands from
> cheap to expensive. (The vet told me that *all* cats like "Fancy
> Feast," and recommended it. She obviously hadn't met Yoda and Onyx,

Grin, it does happen. I've yet to have a cat who will eat the canned tuna
versions. I had one cat for a short time (rescue mommie basically, found
her a home quickly) who wouldnt eat wet canned, be she would noshe with the
best on a minced up bit of 'anytype meat tartar'.

> (Yoda actually turns around, scratches the floor and
> tries to bury it -- I don't have to guess what *he* thinks about it!).

LOL! Yeah, that one rescue kittie did same.

> Ironically, they both *love* the moist cat food in the foil packets --
> but my veterinarian told me to absolutely not feed them this; she acts
> like they put poison in it. So I have no choice but to feed them dry

I''ve 'heard' that most of those have a quality lower than 'Alley Cat'.

> Yoda has severe skin allergies -- apparently to the processed grains
> in most dry cat foods I've found one which they both
> like and do very well on: "The Goodlife Recipe;" it has only vegetables,
> chicken and brown rice

Hey, works! That is what counts. When cats have allergies, the situation
changes. They probably sense that there's something in the wet, that they
can't take so refuse it.

> that expensive. I'm very happy that I found something that they will
> both eat -- and apparently is maintaining their coats, skin and
> overall health. Yoda's skin especially has cleared up without any
> further steroids; no more sores or plugs of fur coming out.

Good! Now there's only 2 things you'd want to watch and both are really
easy to solve. You are probably doing this already but it may help another?

-------------

Liquids. Cats on dry food will drink water but *may* not be drinking as
much as desired.

1- Use this as a treat, *not* to replace the regular water but to get them
to drink a little more.

2- You can enhance this a bit by adding a small dish of broth near the
water bowl. Please be sure it's a low or no-salt broth as cats and dogs are
sensitive to too much salt. Proper is about 2-3 TB per cat in a separate
dish for each so they each get to slurp up a share.
2a- Best given IMHO in the morning but then I learned this one in Japan
where they make a dashi breakfast soup and dip out a little for the cats
before adding the tofu, miso, rice, and whatever else for the rest of the 2
footed family.

3- I use a small dish with 2-3 TB dashi (a fish based one, in my case now
out of a box but it's low sodium) and sometimes home made chicken or duck
broth which we make low-salt for our own use (sodium problems on Don's
side).

4- side note, dealing with overweight kitties, we find if this is given just
before mealtime the Daisy cat fills up a bit but she doesnt later make up
for it out of her kibble bowl so, she's slowly but healthily losing weight
and as the weight comes off she's getting more active.

Fats. Your cats are probably getting some from the dry foo but it's
probably not the true meat fats nature intended. Apt to be more vegetable
derived. For a truely healthy coat and a furball remedy at the same time
(as well as aiding in the constipation some cats sporadically have on dry
food) add some fats. Unless your vet says otherwise due to a unique dietary
need for you specific kitties, this is a good thing to add.

1- It's ok to use vegetable oils but the dry food probably has some of this.
Just they dont have quite enough. A cat on wet food will be getting meat
fats, so adding olive oil (1-2ts) works for those on wet.

2- Try adding 1-2TS meat fats a day. This can be rendered bacon fat if from
low sodium bacon (a little full bacon is ok, just not every day due to the
salt), or a host of other things from your own cooking.

3- Chicken fat, partly rendered though some like it just minced and as is.
Can be the fats from the bottom of a pan after baking a chicken. (caution,
if you dryrub with seasonings before baking, skip that fat as there are
allergy concerns and probably lots of salt in the commercial rub).

4- Pork or steak fat, the parts you may be cutting off either before or
after cooking (although my husband who hasnt my cholestrol problems snaps
these up ;-) He saves a little TS or so sized bit for the cat.

5- Just store these meat fat bits or rendered 'liquid then cooled to solid'
in the fridge then add a little bit ontop of the dry kibble. Melting not
required after taking out of the fridge.

------------
Hope those help someone!

LauraM[_2_]
May 27th 08, 04:34 AM
On May 23, 1:26*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "LauraM" > wrote:
> >Believe me, I've had cats all my life. *Lord knows I'm >not afraid of a
> >mess. *I was just trying to be funny. *So >don't be so judgmental.
>
> I take your point, but really, if you have had cats all your life, why
> haven't you made the connection between dry food, eating fast, and barfing?

I guess I've never had a cat that wolfed food like he does. Sometimes
we just need others to put things in perspective.

LauraM[_2_]
June 14th 08, 11:14 PM
On May 21, 4:23*pm, "blkcatgal" > wrote:
> I recommend Wellness canned foods. *They are grain free. *I have been
> feeding my cats Wellness canned for awhile now. *They love it.

Just thought I'd let you know that I've switched my cat to Wellness.
He absolutely loves it! And he's not as hungry in between feedings.
Guess he needed that real protein. Thanks much!