PDA

View Full Version : Retirement

MaryL
May 22nd 08, 05:27 AM
As a few of you know (but most don't), I am planning to retire in August.
Our department held a retirement reception for me last week, and it was
*wonderful*- far more than I could possibly have expected or hoped for. The
reception was held now instead of in August because so many people will be
off-campus during the summer. There was a continuous crowd of people for
the entire two hours, and it was the type of reception where everyone stayed
quite awhile and visited and laughed the entire time-not the type where
people put in a "courtesy call" and then leave. I had a truly marvelous
afternoon. The food was spectacular! I think they had the largest sheet
cake I have ever seen (beautifully decorated with my name and an
inscription), and *lots and lots* of deli meats and cheeses, hot chicken,
veggies, fresh fruits, etc. A friend sent a *huge* beautiful floral
arrangement in a very heavy lead glass vase. (This friend has been my
"bridge buddy" for many years. He also used to play bridge with Mother and
Dad, and he never missed a single week of visiting Mother in the nursing
home for the entire 5-1/2 years she was there.)

I have been teaching in the same department for 41 years. That's rather
unusual and probably something that a lot people would not like, but it has
been exceptionally good for me. This department has had a very high degree
of stability, and it has always been very collegial. The town is lovely,
and I have a nice home where I intend to stay. I added a sunroom a couple
of years ago that gives me a great view of the backyard for bird watching,
and I also have been taking oil painting instruction for the last six years.
I don't want to become a couch potato, so I started developing interests
that will keep me busy. I'll probably do some volunteer work, and there are
a great many organizations available.

Our department has had only four chairmen in the 41 years I have been here,
and all four came to the reception. Another friend took almost 140
pictures. She tried to get a picture of me with every guest, and I think
she succeeded. In fact, I now have more pictures than I have ever before
had at a single event, so I have a "pictorial history" of the entire
afternoon.

So, this has been a rather long-winded way of letting people know about an
upcoming change in my life. I look forward to it with anticipation but also
with some trepidation because it is such a *permanent* decision and a
certain degree of sadness because I am leaving such a good experience
behind.

I'm going to post this same message on anecdotes. I usually don't like
posting the same message on different newsgroups, but I know some people on
that NG don't like cross-posting.

MaryL

blkcatgal
May 22nd 08, 01:31 PM
Congratulations on your retirement, Mary. Here's to the next stage of your
life! Enjoy!

Sue
---
. ..
> As a few of you know (but most don't), I am planning to retire in August.
> Our department held a retirement reception for me last week, and it was
> *wonderful*- far more than I could possibly have expected or hoped for.
> The reception was held now instead of in August because so many people
> will be off-campus during the summer. There was a continuous crowd of
> people for the entire two hours, and it was the type of reception where
> everyone stayed quite awhile and visited and laughed the entire time-not
> the type where people put in a "courtesy call" and then leave. I had a
> truly marvelous afternoon. The food was spectacular! I think they had the
> largest sheet cake I have ever seen (beautifully decorated with my name
> and an inscription), and *lots and lots* of deli meats and cheeses, hot
> chicken, veggies, fresh fruits, etc. A friend sent a *huge* beautiful
> floral arrangement in a very heavy lead glass vase. (This friend has been
> my "bridge buddy" for many years. He also used to play bridge with Mother
> and Dad, and he never missed a single week of visiting Mother in the
> nursing home for the entire 5-1/2 years she was there.)
>
> I have been teaching in the same department for 41 years. That's rather
> unusual and probably something that a lot people would not like, but it
> has been exceptionally good for me. This department has had a very high
> degree of stability, and it has always been very collegial. The town is
> lovely, and I have a nice home where I intend to stay. I added a sunroom
> a couple of years ago that gives me a great view of the backyard for bird
> watching, and I also have been taking oil painting instruction for the
> last six years. I don't want to become a couch potato, so I started
> developing interests that will keep me busy. I'll probably do some
> volunteer work, and there are a great many organizations available.
>
> Our department has had only four chairmen in the 41 years I have been
> here, and all four came to the reception. Another friend took almost 140
> pictures. She tried to get a picture of me with every guest, and I think
> she succeeded. In fact, I now have more pictures than I have ever before
> had at a single event, so I have a "pictorial history" of the entire
> afternoon.
>
> So, this has been a rather long-winded way of letting people know about an
> upcoming change in my life. I look forward to it with anticipation but
> also with some trepidation because it is such a *permanent* decision and a
> certain degree of sadness because I am leaving such a good experience
> behind.
>
> I'm going to post this same message on anecdotes. I usually don't like
> posting the same message on different newsgroups, but I know some people
> on that NG don't like cross-posting.
>
> MaryL

CatNipped[_2_]
May 22nd 08, 02:32 PM
. ..
> As a few of you know (but most don't), I am planning to retire in August.
> Our department held a retirement reception for me last week, and it was
> *wonderful*- far more than I could possibly have expected or hoped for.
> The reception was held now instead of in August because so many people
> will be off-campus during the summer. There was a continuous crowd of
> people for the entire two hours, and it was the type of reception where
> everyone stayed quite awhile and visited and laughed the entire time-not
> the type where people put in a "courtesy call" and then leave. I had a
> truly marvelous afternoon. The food was spectacular! I think they had the
> largest sheet cake I have ever seen (beautifully decorated with my name
> and an inscription), and *lots and lots* of deli meats and cheeses, hot
> chicken, veggies, fresh fruits, etc. A friend sent a *huge* beautiful
> floral arrangement in a very heavy lead glass vase. (This friend has been
> my "bridge buddy" for many years. He also used to play bridge with Mother
> and Dad, and he never missed a single week of visiting Mother in the
> nursing home for the entire 5-1/2 years she was there.)
>
> I have been teaching in the same department for 41 years. That's rather
> unusual and probably something that a lot people would not like, but it
> has been exceptionally good for me. This department has had a very high
> degree of stability, and it has always been very collegial. The town is
> lovely, and I have a nice home where I intend to stay. I added a sunroom
> a couple of years ago that gives me a great view of the backyard for bird
> watching, and I also have been taking oil painting instruction for the
> last six years. I don't want to become a couch potato, so I started
> developing interests that will keep me busy. I'll probably do some
> volunteer work, and there are a great many organizations available.
>
> Our department has had only four chairmen in the 41 years I have been
> here, and all four came to the reception. Another friend took almost 140
> pictures. She tried to get a picture of me with every guest, and I think
> she succeeded. In fact, I now have more pictures than I have ever before
> had at a single event, so I have a "pictorial history" of the entire
> afternoon.
>
> So, this has been a rather long-winded way of letting people know about an
> upcoming change in my life. I look forward to it with anticipation but
> also with some trepidation because it is such a *permanent* decision and a
> certain degree of sadness because I am leaving such a good experience
> behind.
>
> I'm going to post this same message on anecdotes. I usually don't like
> posting the same message on different newsgroups, but I know some people
> on that NG don't like cross-posting.
>
> MaryL

Congratulations, Mary. I hope you have an enriching retirement - it's well
earned.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Candace
May 23rd 08, 02:33 AM
On May 21, 9:27*pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
wrote:
> As a few of you know (but most don't), I am planning to retire in August.
> Our department held a retirement reception for me last week, and it was
> *wonderful*- far more than I could possibly have expected or hoped for. *The
> reception was held now instead of in August because so many people will be
> off-campus during the summer. *There was a continuous crowd of people for
> the entire two hours, and it was the type of reception where everyone stayed
> quite awhile and visited and laughed the entire time-not the type where
> people put in a "courtesy call" and then leave. *I had a truly marvelous
> afternoon. The food was spectacular! *I think they had the largest sheet
> cake I have ever seen (beautifully decorated with my name and an
> inscription), and *lots and lots* of deli meats and cheeses, hot chicken,
> veggies, fresh fruits, etc. *A friend sent a *huge* beautiful floral
> arrangement in a very heavy lead glass vase. *(This friend has been my
> "bridge buddy" for many years. *He also used to play bridge with Mother and
> Dad, and he never missed a single week of visiting Mother in the nursing
> home for the entire 5-1/2 years she was there.)
>
> I have been teaching in the same department for 41 years. *That's rather
> unusual and probably something that a lot people would not like, but it has
> been exceptionally good for me. *This department has had a very high degree
> of stability, and it has always been very collegial. *The town is lovely,
> and I have a nice home where I intend to stay. *I added a sunroom a couple
> of years ago that gives me a great view of the backyard for bird watching,
> and I also have been taking oil painting instruction for the last six years.
> I don't want to become a couch potato, so I started developing interests
> that will keep me busy. *I'll probably do some volunteer work, and there are
> a great many organizations available.
>
> Our department has had only four chairmen in the 41 years I have been here,
> and all four came to the reception. *Another friend took almost 140
> pictures. *She tried to get a picture of me with every guest, and I think
> she succeeded. *In fact, I now have more pictures than I have ever before
> had at a single event, so I have a "pictorial history" of the entire
> afternoon.
>
> So, this has been a rather long-winded way of letting people know about an
> upcoming change in my life. *I look forward to it with anticipation but also
> with some trepidation because it is such a *permanent* decision and a
> certain degree of sadness because I am leaving such a good experience
> behind.
>
> I'm going to post this same message on anecdotes. *I usually don't like
> posting the same message on different newsgroups, but I know some people on
> that NG don't like cross-posting.
>
> MaryL

Congratulations, Mary!!!!! It sounds as though you've had a wonderful
career. I've often thought that being a college professor would have
been my ideal profession. I envy you. I hope you have a great
retirement but, with your skills set, I'm sure that even if you do get
bored, you'll be able to find something else to do that will be
rewarding.

I bet Holly and Duffy will be hapy to have you around more.

Congrats again,
Candace

-L.
May 26th 08, 09:34 AM
wrote:
> As a few of you know (but most don't), I am planning to retire in August.
> Our department held a retirement reception for me last week, and it was
> *wonderful*- far more than I could possibly have expected or hoped for.
<snip>

> MaryL

Congrats Mary!! That is incredibly awesome!! There will *always* be
things to do - I am sure you will fill your time with many fun
activities. :)

-L.