PDA

View Full Version : Finding a summer home for Chloe


Brian Link
May 25th 08, 09:11 PM
My son's ex-girlfriend has to move out of her University apartment
here in St. Paul very soon. She'll be summering in a spot that doesn't
allow pets, but moving to a pet-friendly apartment in the Fall.

We've exhausted options of friends to take Chloe. She's a wonderful
cat, but can't live successfully with other pets; so we can't help
out.

Are there any outfits that deal with this type of situation? The
kennels I've researched are fairly expensive, and not really a
pleasant situation for three months. Are there foster homes? Who
should I contact to get more ideas?

Thanks

BLink
"God created all tribes of men, and certainly had a righteous purpose in creating each"
- Geronimo

cshenk
May 25th 08, 09:22 PM
"Brian Link" wrote

> We've exhausted options of friends to take Chloe. She's a wonderful
> cat, but can't live successfully with other pets; so we can't help out.

Brian, what habits does she have with other pets? What problems?

John Ross Mc Master
May 25th 08, 09:30 PM
Advertise in your local paper. Say you'll pay $100/month for someone
to look after your baby.
Also contact shelters. Ask them if they have a foster person who would
look after kitty for a small donation.





On Sun, 25 May 2008 15:11:15 -0500, Brian Link > wrote:

>My son's ex-girlfriend has to move out of her University apartment
>here in St. Paul very soon. She'll be summering in a spot that doesn't
>allow pets, but moving to a pet-friendly apartment in the Fall.
>
>We've exhausted options of friends to take Chloe. She's a wonderful
>cat, but can't live successfully with other pets; so we can't help
>out.
>
>Are there any outfits that deal with this type of situation? The
>kennels I've researched are fairly expensive, and not really a
>pleasant situation for three months. Are there foster homes? Who
>should I contact to get more ideas?
>
>Thanks
>
>BLink
>"God created all tribes of men, and certainly had a righteous purpose in creating each"
>- Geronimo

Brian Link
May 25th 08, 10:00 PM
On Sun, 25 May 2008 16:22:29 -0400, "cshenk" > wrote:

>"Brian Link" wrote
>
>> We've exhausted options of friends to take Chloe. She's a wonderful
>> cat, but can't live successfully with other pets; so we can't help out.
>
>Brian, what habits does she have with other pets? What problems?
>
>
Aggression, mostly. I've never been mauled so badly by a cat with all
its claws as I have by Chloe. Plus, we have a Bengal who is
inordinately nervous, and if he so much as smells a cat outside he can
go into right into a howling and inappropriate ****ing fit (his new
meds have helped significantly with this - but having another cat in
the house is another thing entirely).

Chloe lived with us for 3 years, and was never happy. I visited her
last year in her new apartment, and she was a completely different
cat. Sociable, happy and cuddly. That's been my experience with many
female cats - they seem not to do as well in multi-cat households as
males do.

Thanks for the reply

BLink
--------------------------
"The worst thing about censorship is [redacted]"

Bobblespin
May 25th 08, 11:58 PM
Brian Link > wrote in
:

> My son's ex-girlfriend has to move out of her University apartment
> here in St. Paul very soon. She'll be summering in a spot that doesn't
> allow pets, but moving to a pet-friendly apartment in the Fall.
>
> We've exhausted options of friends to take Chloe. She's a wonderful
> cat, but can't live successfully with other pets; so we can't help
> out.
>
> Are there any outfits that deal with this type of situation? The
> kennels I've researched are fairly expensive, and not really a
> pleasant situation for three months. Are there foster homes? Who
> should I contact to get more ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> BLink
> "God created all tribes of men, and certainly had a righteous purpose
> in creating each" - Geronimo

Ask at their vet's office. Ask the Humane Society too. Somebody is bound to
know someone who would love to have a pet for a few months without the
expense (especially since she'll cover any food/vet costs for the
duration). I know I would if I no longer had pets of my own.

Bobble

cybercat
May 26th 08, 12:03 AM
"bobblespin" > wrote in message
...
> Brian Link > wrote in
> :
>
>> My son's ex-girlfriend has to move out of her University apartment
>> here in St. Paul very soon. She'll be summering in a spot that doesn't
>> allow pets, but moving to a pet-friendly apartment in the Fall.
>>
>> We've exhausted options of friends to take Chloe. She's a wonderful
>> cat, but can't live successfully with other pets; so we can't help
>> out.
>>
>> Are there any outfits that deal with this type of situation? The
>> kennels I've researched are fairly expensive, and not really a
>> pleasant situation for three months. Are there foster homes? Who
>> should I contact to get more ideas?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> BLink
>> "God created all tribes of men, and certainly had a righteous purpose
>> in creating each" - Geronimo
>
> Ask at their vet's office. Ask the Humane Society too. Somebody is bound
> to
> know someone who would love to have a pet for a few months without the
> expense (especially since she'll cover any food/vet costs for the
> duration). I know I would if I no longer had pets of my own.
>

Does this woman have any *friends*? Family besides the ass Link?

-L.
May 26th 08, 09:25 AM
On May 25, 1:11 pm, Brian Link > wrote:
> My son's ex-girlfriend has to move out of her University apartment
> here in St. Paul very soon. She'll be summering in a spot that doesn't
> allow pets, but moving to a pet-friendly apartment in the Fall.
>
> We've exhausted options of friends to take Chloe. She's a wonderful
> cat, but can't live successfully with other pets; so we can't help
> out.
>
> Are there any outfits that deal with this type of situation? The
> kennels I've researched are fairly expensive, and not really a
> pleasant situation for three months. Are there foster homes? Who
> should I contact to get more ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> BLink
> "God created all tribes of men, and certainly had a righteous purpose in creating each"
> - Geronimo

Why the hell do people accept living arrangements where they can't
take their pets?
I'm sorry, but I am fed up to my hairballs with people who don't think
about the long-term consequences of having a pet.

Let the stupid bitch figure it our for herself. Or better yet, she
should find a place that she can have the cat with her, where it
should be.

-L.

cybercat
May 26th 08, 09:31 AM
"-L." > wrote

> Let the stupid bitch figure it our for herself. Or better yet, she
> should find a place that she can have the cat with her, where it
> should be.
>

Good morning, Sunshine! {{hugs}}

Nice to see you. :)

MaryL
May 26th 08, 04:54 PM
"-L." > wrote in message
...
> On May 25, 1:11 pm, Brian Link > wrote:
>> My son's ex-girlfriend has to move out of her University apartment
>> here in St. Paul very soon. She'll be summering in a spot that doesn't
>> allow pets, but moving to a pet-friendly apartment in the Fall.
>>
>> We've exhausted options of friends to take Chloe. She's a wonderful
>> cat, but can't live successfully with other pets; so we can't help
>> out.
>>
>> Are there any outfits that deal with this type of situation? The
>> kennels I've researched are fairly expensive, and not really a
>> pleasant situation for three months. Are there foster homes? Who
>> should I contact to get more ideas?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> BLink
>> "God created all tribes of men, and certainly had a righteous purpose in
>> creating each"
>> - Geronimo
>
> Why the hell do people accept living arrangements where they can't
> take their pets?
> I'm sorry, but I am fed up to my hairballs with people who don't think
> about the long-term consequences of having a pet.
>
> Let the stupid bitch figure it our for herself. Or better yet, she
> should find a place that she can have the cat with her, where it
> should be.
>
> -L.
>

That's absolutely right. Unfortunately, "let her figure it out for herself"
often results in pet abandonment. We have numerous cases every semester
where students have "adopted" a cat or dog, then they just go off and leave
it behind when they leave for the summer or even for spring break. The
"lucky" ones are the ones that are turned over to the animal shelter. Many
are just left to fend for themselves, often with disastrous results. I
simply do not understand the mindset of people who see pets as disposable
objects. I got my first cat when I was in graduate school. From then on, I
would *never consider* any type of move that did not include my cat as part
of my household. My cats are family!

MaryL

MaryL
May 26th 08, 06:09 PM
"John Ross Mc Master" > wrote in message
...
> Advertise in your local paper. Say you'll pay $100/month for someone
> to look after your baby.
> Also contact shelters. Ask them if they have a foster person who would
> look after kitty for a small donation.
>
>
>
>
>
> On Sun, 25 May 2008 15:11:15 -0500, Brian Link > wrote:
>
>>My son's ex-girlfriend has to move out of her University apartment
>>here in St. Paul very soon. She'll be summering in a spot that doesn't
>>allow pets, but moving to a pet-friendly apartment in the Fall.
>>
>>We've exhausted options of friends to take Chloe. She's a wonderful
>>cat, but can't live successfully with other pets; so we can't help
>>out.
>>
>>Are there any outfits that deal with this type of situation? The
>>kennels I've researched are fairly expensive, and not really a
>>pleasant situation for three months. Are there foster homes? Who
>>should I contact to get more ideas?
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>BLink
>>"God created all tribes of men, and certainly had a righteous purpose in
>>creating each"
>>- Geronimo

Advertising in a paper is a terrible idea -- in the same way as it would be
a terrible idea to advertise for someone to care for an infant. This could
have very good results, but it could equally well end in disaster. If they
are looking for someone to care for the pet and are willing to pay for it,
it would be a much better idea to check with local vets and ask about pet
sitters or to check with *trustworthy* friends for references. Rescue
groups often have foster programs, but they are usually too full to simply
accept a cat that already had a home but needs someone to care for the cat
while this woman is "summering" for three months. I go on vacation every
summer (two weeks instead of three months), and I have an excellent pet
sitter who comes into my house twice a day. That way, my two furbabies
still have their normal environment, and Susie is a fantastic "another me"
for those two weeks.

MaryL

-L.
May 26th 08, 10:15 PM
On May 26, 8:54 am, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
wrote:
> "-L." > wrote in message
>
> ...
>
>
>
> > On May 25, 1:11 pm, Brian Link > wrote:
> >> My son's ex-girlfriend has to move out of her University apartment
> >> here in St. Paul very soon. She'll be summering in a spot that doesn't
> >> allow pets, but moving to a pet-friendly apartment in the Fall.
>
> >> We've exhausted options of friends to take Chloe. She's a wonderful
> >> cat, but can't live successfully with other pets; so we can't help
> >> out.
>
> >> Are there any outfits that deal with this type of situation? The
> >> kennels I've researched are fairly expensive, and not really a
> >> pleasant situation for three months. Are there foster homes? Who
> >> should I contact to get more ideas?
>
> >> Thanks
>
> >> BLink
> >> "God created all tribes of men, and certainly had a righteous purpose in
> >> creating each"
> >> - Geronimo
>
> > Why the hell do people accept living arrangements where they can't
> > take their pets?
> > I'm sorry, but I am fed up to my hairballs with people who don't think
> > about the long-term consequences of having a pet.
>
> > Let the stupid bitch figure it our for herself. Or better yet, she
> > should find a place that she can have the cat with her, where it
> > should be.
>
> > -L.
>
> That's absolutely right. Unfortunately, "let her figure it out for herself"
> often results in pet abandonment. We have numerous cases every semester
> where students have "adopted" a cat or dog, then they just go off and leave
> it behind when they leave for the summer or even for spring break. The
> "lucky" ones are the ones that are turned over to the animal shelter. Many
> are just left to fend for themselves, often with disastrous results. I
> simply do not understand the mindset of people who see pets as disposable
> objects. I got my first cat when I was in graduate school. From then on, I
> would *never consider* any type of move that did not include my cat as part
> of my household. My cats are family!
>
> MaryL

Yep. I am just sick of people who think it's ok to make arrangements
that don't include their pets. If you can't care for a pet under ANY
circumstances, don't get one. Period.

-L.

-L.
May 26th 08, 10:18 PM
On May 26, 1:31 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "-L." > wrote
>
> > Let the stupid bitch figure it our for herself. Or better yet, she
> > should find a place that she can have the cat with her, where it
> > should be.
>
> Good morning, Sunshine! {{hugs}}
>
> Nice to see you. :)

LOL...Hi! :D
Not gonna hang around long, as this type of crapola is status-quo in
this ng anymore ("my cats eyeball is hanging.....") but I just
couldn't restrain myself from replying. :p

-L.

Charlie Wilkes
May 28th 08, 03:27 AM
On Mon, 26 May 2008 14:18:44 -0700, -L. wrote:

> On May 26, 1:31 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
>> "-L." > wrote
>>
>> > Let the stupid bitch figure it our for herself. Or better yet, she
>> > should find a place that she can have the cat with her, where it
>> > should be.
>>
>> Good morning, Sunshine! {{hugs}}
>>
>> Nice to see you. :)
>
> LOL...Hi! :D
> Not gonna hang around long, as this type of crapola is status-quo in
> this ng anymore ("my cats eyeball is hanging.....") but I just couldn't
> restrain myself from replying. :p
>
> -L.

It's nice to see how well you two get along these days. I remember a
time when you hated each other so much the police had to get involved.

I guess it took you awhile to realize how much you have in common. ;)

Charlie

cybercat
May 28th 08, 03:34 AM
"Charlie Wilkes" > wrote in message
...
> On Mon, 26 May 2008 14:18:44 -0700, -L. wrote:
>
>> On May 26, 1:31 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
>>> "-L." > wrote
>>>
>>> > Let the stupid bitch figure it our for herself. Or better yet, she
>>> > should find a place that she can have the cat with her, where it
>>> > should be.
>>>
>>> Good morning, Sunshine! {{hugs}}
>>>
>>> Nice to see you. :)
>>
>> LOL...Hi! :D
>> Not gonna hang around long, as this type of crapola is status-quo in
>> this ng anymore ("my cats eyeball is hanging.....") but I just couldn't
>> restrain myself from replying. :p
>>
>> -L.
>
> It's nice to see how well you two get along these days. I remember a
> time when you hated each other so much the police had to get involved.
>
> I guess it took you awhile to realize how much you have in common. ;)
>
> Charlie

Kiss my ass, Charlie.

-L.
May 28th 08, 08:34 AM
On May 27, 7:27 pm, Charlie Wilkes >
wrote:

>
> Charlie

It's nice to see you're still an asshole.

Well, not NICE, but you know what I mean.

-L.

cybercat
May 28th 08, 04:45 PM
"-L." > wrote in message
...
> On May 27, 7:27 pm, Charlie Wilkes >
> wrote:
>
>>
>> Charlie
>
> It's nice to see you're still an asshole.
>
> Well, not NICE, but you know what I mean.
>
> -L.

Yes, indeed. While sneering at us for being able to change (as healthy,
dynamic living things do as a matter of course), Charlie has demonstrated
that some things stay the same.

Meanwhile, you are missed around here! I hope you'll keep visiting. Yet
another change: she who used to charge forth under the banner "Killfiles are
for Pussies!" now uses hers on a regular basis. They really do reduce
frustration.

CatNipped[_2_]
May 28th 08, 05:55 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message
om...
>
> "-L." > wrote in message
> ...
>> On May 27, 7:27 pm, Charlie Wilkes >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> Charlie
>>
>> It's nice to see you're still an asshole.
>>
>> Well, not NICE, but you know what I mean.
>>
>> -L.
>
> Yes, indeed. While sneering at us for being able to change (as healthy,
> dynamic living things do as a matter of course), Charlie has demonstrated
> that some things stay the same.
>
> Meanwhile, you are missed around here! I hope you'll keep visiting. Yet
> another change: she who used to charge forth under the banner "Killfiles
> are for Pussies!" now uses hers on a regular basis. They really do reduce
> frustration.
>

ROTFLMAO! Really? I'd have never thunk it of you! I really should follow
your example, but I'm too nosey - I think I might miss something interesting
going on "behind my back" so to speak. BTW, I never did receive you email -
even though my addy isn't munged, a few people still have trouble getting
through to me from the groups - weird.

Hugs,

CatNipped

cybercat
May 28th 08, 06:11 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote

>BTW, I never did receive you email - even though my addy isn't munged, a
>few people still have trouble getting through to me from the groups -
>weird.
>

Really weird, because I sent it twice, and double-checked it was to the
right
address. I take it as a sign that I had no business wanting to gossip about
what I wanted to gossip about. (Especially since Sheelagh did not get my
mail
either.)

Taking the low road always gets me a rude kick in the pants. Taking the high
road tends to result in many good things. Sorry about the tease. I hope it
suffices for me to say that someone you and S. both would probably like
to see receive a "come uppance" did. In spades. :) Please help me avoid
bad karma by not asking any questions!

CatNipped[_2_]
May 28th 08, 06:45 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message
om...
>
> "CatNipped" > wrote
>
>>BTW, I never did receive you email - even though my addy isn't munged, a
>>few people still have trouble getting through to me from the groups -
>>weird.
>>
>
> Really weird, because I sent it twice, and double-checked it was to the
> right
> address. I take it as a sign that I had no business wanting to gossip
> about
> what I wanted to gossip about. (Especially since Sheelagh did not get my
> mail
> either.)
>
> Taking the low road always gets me a rude kick in the pants. Taking the
> high
> road tends to result in many good things. Sorry about the tease. I hope it
> suffices for me to say that someone you and S. both would probably like
> to see receive a "come uppance" did. In spades. :) Please help me avoid
> bad karma by not asking any questions!

OK, I won't ask. I truly don't like to gossip anyway - not because I'm so
virtuous, only because I'm so self-centered that I don't really care what
other people do! ;>

Hugs,

CatNipped