PDA

View Full Version : Older cat ill....vet "puzzled" Any thoughts??

May 26th 08, 09:28 PM
My neutered DSH male indoor/outdoor cat seems a bit ill.

He's just 13, we live in a very rural area, and he has never
encountered another cat, nevertheless, he is up on all shots, rabies,
leuk, etc.

In the past several months, he seemed to have lost weight and was
having trouble jumping. Took him in and the vet thought he might have
some sort of hyperactive disorder that is common in older cats and
causes weight loss.

Did a series of tests, found nothing, shrugged.

I will say that this vet has been a wonder for us for years and he is
one of the few vets around here that treat small animals.....the other
two practitioners have a very less than stellar reputation.

Anyway, trouble jumping seems to have eased, but current symptoms are:

1) Extremely skinny

2) Chronic loose stools -- not diarrhea, just very "liquid" when he
does go.

He was on Science Diet Feline senior, has been for six years, but we
tried switching back to regular Science Diet Feline Maint when his
weight loss became noticable, but he refused to eat for days, so back
to senior.

Any ideas to put in the ear of the vet. I plan a return visit. Oh,
yes, since he catches his share of mice, etc. he has had worms in the
past and I KNOW what to look for for that, but he has no symptoms of
worms.

The only other option is to put him in the car for a four-hour round-
trip to the "big city," which both of us would hate....He howls the
whole time he is in the car.

Chameleon
May 26th 08, 09:45 PM
On May 26, 4:28*pm, wrote:
> My neutered DSH male indoor/outdoor cat seems a bit ill.
>
> He's just 13, we live in a very rural area, and he has never
> encountered another cat, nevertheless, he is up on all shots, rabies,
> leuk, etc.
>
> In the past several months, he seemed to have lost weight and was
> having trouble jumping. *Took him in and the vet thought he might have
> some sort of hyperactive disorder that is common in older cats and
> causes weight loss.
>
> Did a series of tests, found nothing, shrugged.
>
> I will say that this vet has been a wonder for us for years and he is
> one of the few vets around here that treat small animals.....the other
> two practitioners have a very less than stellar reputation.
>
> Anyway, trouble jumping seems to have eased, but current symptoms are:
>
> 1) Extremely skinny
>
> 2) Chronic loose stools -- not diarrhea, just very "liquid" when he
> does go.
>
> He was on Science Diet Feline senior, has been for six years, but we
> tried switching back to regular Science Diet Feline Maint when his
> weight loss became noticable, but he refused to eat for days, so back
> to senior.
>
> Any ideas to put in the ear of the vet. I plan a return visit. *Oh,
> yes, since he catches his share of mice, etc. he has had worms in the
> past and I KNOW what to look for for that, but he has no symptoms of
> worms.
>
> The only other option is to put him in the car for a four-hour round-
> trip to the "big city," which both of us would hate....He howls the
> whole time he is in the car.

Hey there - I am currently dealing with a sick 2 year old cat who lost
a lot of weight and was very lethargic. They vet ran many tests and
could find nothing. I think we have finally pinned it down and my cat
currently seems to be on the road to recovery. Here is what I would
recommend:

1. Make sure feline leukimia and aids test are done, as well as a
complete blood panel. Check his red blood cell count.

2. Also, have your vet give you cat an xray or needle the abdomen for
liquid or a Corona Titer test for FIP.

3. Lastly, I would loook into so possible toxins because of the
diarhea which could be in your area. Look for lantan or lily plants in
your yard. You can also search google for other toxic plants he might
be getting into.

These are the majors you need to get out of the way to get your cat
treatment and peace of mind.

We did all this with my cat and found nothing BUT his red blood cell
count had dropped in three days from 30-23 so we identified him as
anemic. But as you may find, anemia is caused by something else so my
doctor administered these things:

1. Hydration
2. Apetite Stimulant
3. Pednisone - Balance immune system (steriod) that is destroyng red
blood cells.
4. Doxycycline - Kill any parasites on red blood cells

His red blood cell count already has jumped up to 34 now and he is
already looking much better. I have been giving him about 5ML of water
and kitten formula every hour, in addition to his dry food (which he
prfers over wet) to keep him hydrated.

Please keep us posted and good luck!