PDA

View Full Version : Followup ... cat didn't ingest bug spray

Greg Bailey
May 27th 08, 03:21 PM
I'm posting this in a different thread than the one I started because I
posted to that under two different IDs and I want to try to avoid confusion
.... just talked to the vet, our regular vet who sees our cat more than any
of the others (we got the guy on call yesterday, who is an excellent vet but
had never seen our cat before), and that vet thinks that we are NOT dealing
with a bug spray situation. Which is good in one sense because it gets me
off the hook as far as flagellating myself about causing injury to our cat,
the bug spray thing was just the first thing that popped into my mind
because I knew that had happened and I knew some of the symptoms he was
showing might be consistent with that (I'm still going to be more careful
from now on, even if it's not that, the thought of it has put the fear of
God into me about it). Our vet is now thinking our cat might have had a bad
hypertensive incident which might have affected the cat's eyes, how much
remains to be seen. They are going to run a couple more tests to check on
some things. The cat is stable and seems to be physically fine now, only his
eyes still dilated and he's very skittish, possibly because of some vision
impairment according to the vet, and we probably still will get to bring him
home today. I will follow up again with any further news. And thanks for the
input on dealing with ants in the other thread. :)

Rene S.
May 27th 08, 04:57 PM
Thanks for posting an update. I do hope your kitty makes a full
recovery, but even if he doesn't regain full sight, cats can do
remarkably well with impaired (or no) vision. MaryL, a regular on this
group, has a blind cat, and one of my cats has sight out of only one
eye.

Best wishes. . .

Greg Bailey
May 27th 08, 08:52 PM
Vet checked his blood pressure out, it was normal ... checked his eye
pressure and it was way high. So it's likely we have either a developing
glaucoma or retinal problem. In other words, it's an eye problem. Again, I'm
glad it wasn't poison ... vet said no toxin could cause this ... but I'm
very concerned about our cat. We're going to be seeing a veterinary
opthomologist to check further on this. I appreciate all the good wishes and
I will continue to follow up.

Rene S.
May 27th 08, 09:42 PM
On May 27, 2:52*pm, "Greg Bailey" > wrote:
> Vet checked his blood pressure out, it was normal ... checked his eye
> pressure and it was way high. So it's likely we have either a developing
> glaucoma or retinal problem. In other words, it's an eye problem. Again, I'm
> glad it wasn't poison ... vet said no toxin could cause this ... but I'm
> very concerned about our cat. We're going to be seeing a veterinary
> opthomologist to check further on this. I appreciate all the good wishes and
> I will continue to follow up.

Greg,
Do you know what his pressure was? One of my cats has glaucoma and
sees an ophlamologist also. Please email me for more information.

Rene

cshenk
May 28th 08, 12:15 AM
Thanks for the update Greg and glad to help with the ant population
reduction ;-)

Hope what seems to be glaucoma is worked out.

MaryL
May 28th 08, 12:37 AM
"Greg Bailey" > wrote in message
. ..
> I'm posting this in a different thread than the one I started because I
> posted to that under two different IDs and I want to try to avoid
> confusion ... just talked to the vet, our regular vet who sees our cat
> more than any of the others (we got the guy on call yesterday, who is an
> excellent vet but had never seen our cat before), and that vet thinks that
> we are NOT dealing with a bug spray situation. Which is good in one sense
> because it gets me off the hook as far as flagellating myself about
> causing injury to our cat, the bug spray thing was just the first thing
> that popped into my mind because I knew that had happened and I knew some
> of the symptoms he was showing might be consistent with that (I'm still
> going to be more careful from now on, even if it's not that, the thought
> of it has put the fear of God into me about it). Our vet is now thinking
> our cat might have had a bad hypertensive incident which might have
> affected the cat's eyes, how much remains to be seen. They are going to
> run a couple more tests to check on some things. The cat is stable and
> seems to be physically fine now, only his eyes still dilated and he's very
> skittish, possibly because of some vision impairment according to the vet,
> and we probably still will get to bring him home today. I will follow up
> again with any further news. And thanks for the input on dealing with ants
> in the other thread. :)

I hope your cat does not have permanently impaired vision, and I would like
to encourage you to take him for an evaluation by a feline ophthalmologist.
That specialty is often difficult to locate, but you would be able to locate
one at a college of veterinary medicine. I was pleasantly surprised when I
took Duffy to Texas A&M College of Veterinary Medicine to find that the cost
was very reasonable, and the doctors and technicians were very caring.

Duffy is blind, and he is a delight. That is the other reason I am writing.
Duffy is living proof that a blind cat can be happy, active, and can do
almost anything that a sighted can can do. I have had visitors who have
watched him for 15 or 20 minutes before they realized he is blind. His
favorite toy is that round toy that has a fixed track around the outer edge
and corrugated cardboard scratching surface inside. He plays with it almost
every day, and this has continued for the five years since I adopted him. I
think one reason he likes it so well is that he can hear the ball rolling
and always knows exactly where it is. He will leap back and forth across
the circle and is even ambidextrous in batting the ball first one way and
then the other. Please feel free to email me if you would like to ask any
questions. The email attached to this message is valid except that you
first need to "take-out-the-litter."

Please keep us updated!

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: >'o'<
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o

MaryL
May 28th 08, 12:41 AM
"Greg Bailey" > wrote in message
> Vet checked his blood pressure out, it was normal ... checked his eye
> pressure and it was way high. So it's likely we have either a developing
> glaucoma or retinal problem. In other words, it's an eye problem. Again,
> I'm glad it wasn't poison ... vet said no toxin could cause this ... but
> I'm very concerned about our cat. We're going to be seeing a veterinary
> opthomologist to check further on this. I appreciate all the good wishes
> and I will continue to follow up.

I just posted a message to you and recommended that you see a veterinary
ophthalomologist. I had overlooked this message when you said that is
exactly what you intend to do. Thank you! That is an excellent decision.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: >'o'<
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o

Rene S.
May 29th 08, 03:40 PM
How did the appointment go (it's coming up soon, if I remember
correctly)? Please let us know.