PDA

View Full Version : Still trying to introduce cats (long)


blkcatgal
May 28th 08, 01:03 AM
I previously posted about trying to introduce a female feral cat that we
caught to my 2 male cats. Feral cat is about 1 year old and my resident
cats are almost 5 and 3. I began by keeping the new cat in the basement
separate from my 2 resident cats. My cats new that there was a cat in the
basement, but they had no direct contact with her. This lasted about 6
weeks. I then moved the new cat into a bedroom and kept her separated from
the other 2 by using baby gates. My younger cat seems to be okay with the
new cat but my older cat wants no part of her. He would hiss and growl at
the new cat. Normal, I know. But this seemed to scare the new cat. I
would try to feed them treats together.

--
**Visit me and my cats at http://www.island-cats.com/ **
---

cybercat
May 28th 08, 04:46 AM
"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
. ..
>I previously posted about trying to introduce a female feral cat that we
>caught to my 2 male cats. Feral cat is about 1 year old and my resident
>cats are almost 5 and 3. I began by keeping the new cat in the basement
>separate from my 2 resident cats. My cats new that there was a cat in the
>basement, but they had no direct contact with her. This lasted about 6
>weeks. I then moved the new cat into a bedroom and kept her separated from
>the other 2 by using baby gates. My younger cat seems to be okay with the
>new cat but my older cat wants no part of her. He would hiss and growl at
>the new cat. Normal, I know. But this seemed to scare the new cat. I
>would try to feed them treats together.
>

and ... go on, please! How is it working out?

May 28th 08, 04:56 AM
On May 27, 8:03�pm, "blkcatgal" > wrote:
> I previously posted about trying to introduce a female feral cat that we
> caught to my 2 male cats. �Feral cat is about 1 year old and my resident
> cats are almost 5 and 3. �I began by keeping the new cat in the basement
> separate from my 2 resident cats. �My cats new that there was a cat in the
> basement, but they had no direct contact with her. �This lasted about 6
> weeks. �I then moved the new cat into a bedroom and kept her separated from
> the other 2 by using baby gates. �My younger cat seems to be okay with the
> new cat but my older cat wants no part of her. �He would hiss and growl at
> the new cat. �Normal, I know. �But this seemed to scare the new cat. �I
> would try to feed them treats together.
>
> --
> **Visit me and my cats athttp://www.island-cats.com/**
> ---

Yikes, this message somehow was sent before I had time to finish it!
Here's the rest:

I tried feeding them treats together. When the older one got close to
the new cat, the new cat let out a shreek...it sounded almost
demonic...I never heard a cat make a noise like that. Then the new
cat chased the older cat away. A few days later, the new cat got out
over the baby gate and made her way into the rest of the house.
Again, when my one cat got too close to her, she made that terrible
noise and scared him away. Then she began almost stalking him. At
this point, I've put her back into the bedroom and decided they all
needed a time out. This weekend we installed a door on the bedroom
where the bottom has been cut out and a screen installed. Problem is
that I can't get either resident cat to pay much attention to the new
cat now. I think my resident cats are afraid of the new cat now.

BTW, I am using feliway diffusers around the house and I've been
putting Rescue Remedy in their water.

It's been about 5 weeks since I've started this introduction phase. I
really want this to work out. But I'm at a loss as to what else I can
do at this point. I'm looking for suggestions. Thanks.

Sue

Rene S.
May 28th 08, 03:05 PM
> It's been about 5 weeks since I've started this introduction phase. �I
> really want this to work out. �But I'm at a loss as to what else I can
> do at this point. �I'm looking for suggestions. �Thanks.

Sue,

I'm glad you're posting updates, and it sounds like you've made a
little progress. Some Bach flower remedies may help your situation. I
checked the book "Bach Flower Remedies for Animals" and it seems that
Honeysuckle would be good for the new cat. It's recommended for
rescued cats who are having a hard time adjusting to new surroundings.
I usually add a few drops of the remedies to the cat's wet food.

Good luck and keep the faith

May 28th 08, 03:48 PM
On May 28, 10:05*am, "Rene S." > wrote:
> > It's been about 5 weeks since I've started this introduction phase. �I
> > really want this to work out. �But I'm at a loss as to what else I can
> > do at this point. �I'm looking for suggestions. �Thanks.
>
> Sue,
>
> I'm glad you're posting updates, and it sounds like you've made a
> little progress. Some Bach flower remedies may help your situation. I
> checked the book "Bach Flower Remedies for Animals" and it seems that
> Honeysuckle would be good for the new cat. It's recommended for
> rescued cats who are having a hard time adjusting to new surroundings.
> I usually add a few drops of the remedies to the cat's wet food.
>
> Good luck and keep the faith

Rene,
Thanks for your response. I think the operative word is "little." I
feel like not much progress is being made. I knew this wasn't going
to be easy, but it is getting frustrating. What bothers me most is
that my resident cats seem to be afraid of the new cat. Can I put the
Rescue Remedy right in the wet food? I've been putting it in their
water but, of course, they have to drink it. I'll try some of the
other Bach flower essences. Walnut may be another good one (from what
I've read).

I'm trying to keep the faith....I think I need the Bach flower
remedies too...or maybe just a stiff drink!

S.

Rene S.
May 29th 08, 02:13 PM
> Thanks for your response. *I think the operative word is "little." *I
> feel like not much progress is being made. *I knew this wasn't going
> to be easy, but it is getting frustrating. *What bothers me most is
> that my resident cats seem to be afraid of the new cat. *Can I put the
> Rescue Remedy right in the wet food? *I've been putting it in their
> water but, of course, they have to drink it. *I'll try some of the
> other Bach flower essences. *Walnut may be another good one (from what
> I've read).

Yes, you can add right to the wet food. I currently do this with one
of my cats and he doesn't seem to notice it's there. Of course, mix
thoroughly before serving.

Have you tried the RR? It's very relaxing. . .

-Lost
May 31st 08, 12:31 AM
Response to "blkcatgal" >:

> I previously posted about trying to introduce a female feral cat
> that we caught to my 2 male cats. Feral cat is about 1 year old
> and my resident cats are almost 5 and 3. I began by keeping the
> new cat in the basement separate from my 2 resident cats. My cats
> new that there was a cat in the basement, but they had no direct
> contact with her. This lasted about 6 weeks. I then moved the
> new cat into a bedroom and kept her separated from the other 2 by
> using baby gates. My younger cat seems to be okay with the new
> cat but my older cat wants no part of her. He would hiss and
> growl at the new cat. Normal, I know. But this seemed to scare
> the new cat. I would try to feed them treats together.

<finished later in the thread>

I am a little late to this post, but please, how are things now?

For the past several weeks I have been introducing "Phat Kat" to our
uber-mean and aggressive* Gabby. I have diffusers and have been
feeding treats to them where BOTH of their paws and faces could reach
(under the door). Still some tension mulling about though...

My oldest daughter suffered tremendous wounds** upon their first
meeting, which left Gabby wanting to tear away and put some more
territorial justice on Phat Kat's backside.

Long story short, they have been through the hissing, the spitting,
the arched backs, the growling, and now they play with each other
through the bottom of the door that we shaved (like your screen, only
we shortened the bottom of the door by 2 inches). Let them out and
it is an entirely different story though.

So, tell me that you are having luck. Please!

Oh, I almost forgot! Phat Kat is -- at best guess -- 3 times the
size of Gabby. Gabby is probably a pound or two overweight and comes
in at around 8 pounds. Phat Kat is... wait for it... 22 pounds.

Yes, Gabby is the aggressor -- too funny, well, not for Phat Kat.

No, we did not allow Phat Kat to reach that weight. We found him a
few weeks ago and he's been on a diet since. He arrived at 24
pounds.

Good luck with your scenario!!

* After almost a year with Gabby we have come to the understanding
that even altered, he is a mean geezer. (Although he could not be
older than 2 years max.)

** I will leave it at that, otherwise someone will eventually tell me
I am overreacting about the ER visit and the deep puncture wounds
from Gabby biting her.

--
-Lost
Remove the extra words to reply by e-mail. Don't e-mail me. I am
kidding. No I am not.

blkcatgal
May 31st 08, 04:38 AM
Please read my subsequent post which gives more info...the first post got
sent somehow before I was finished. The intros are not going real well.
Like your cats, the new cat, Zoey, is tiny...just over 8 lbs. My two cats,
both male, are about 13 lbs. and could take Zoey in a heartbeat...but she is
the aggressor. Anyway, for about the past week we have kept Zoey behind the
screen door and have given her limited interaction with my other 2 cats. I
have come to the conclusion that it is going to be a very slow go getting
all of them to live together in a somewhat friendly manner. I think part of
the problem is that Zoey lived all of her life (she's about a year old now;
we've had her for the past 3 months) running scared and protecting herself
from everything...including other cats. It's probably going to take that
long to un-teach her everything she's learned up to this point. I have to
admit, she's made great strides so far, at least as far as accepting me.
Right now, I am taking it one day at a time and hoping things get better as
time goes on. Keep me posted on how Gabby does with Phat Cat, okay?

S.
"-Lost" > wrote in message
...
> Response to "blkcatgal" >:
>
>> I previously posted about trying to introduce a female feral cat
>> that we caught to my 2 male cats. Feral cat is about 1 year old
>> and my resident cats are almost 5 and 3. I began by keeping the
>> new cat in the basement separate from my 2 resident cats. My cats
>> new that there was a cat in the basement, but they had no direct
>> contact with her. This lasted about 6 weeks. I then moved the
>> new cat into a bedroom and kept her separated from the other 2 by
>> using baby gates. My younger cat seems to be okay with the new
>> cat but my older cat wants no part of her. He would hiss and
>> growl at the new cat. Normal, I know. But this seemed to scare
>> the new cat. I would try to feed them treats together.
>
> <finished later in the thread>
>
> I am a little late to this post, but please, how are things now?
>
> For the past several weeks I have been introducing "Phat Kat" to our
> uber-mean and aggressive* Gabby. I have diffusers and have been
> feeding treats to them where BOTH of their paws and faces could reach
> (under the door). Still some tension mulling about though...
>
> My oldest daughter suffered tremendous wounds** upon their first
> meeting, which left Gabby wanting to tear away and put some more
> territorial justice on Phat Kat's backside.
>
> Long story short, they have been through the hissing, the spitting,
> the arched backs, the growling, and now they play with each other
> through the bottom of the door that we shaved (like your screen, only
> we shortened the bottom of the door by 2 inches). Let them out and
> it is an entirely different story though.
>
> So, tell me that you are having luck. Please!
>
> Oh, I almost forgot! Phat Kat is -- at best guess -- 3 times the
> size of Gabby. Gabby is probably a pound or two overweight and comes
> in at around 8 pounds. Phat Kat is... wait for it... 22 pounds.
>
> Yes, Gabby is the aggressor -- too funny, well, not for Phat Kat.
>
> No, we did not allow Phat Kat to reach that weight. We found him a
> few weeks ago and he's been on a diet since. He arrived at 24
> pounds.
>
> Good luck with your scenario!!
>
> * After almost a year with Gabby we have come to the understanding
> that even altered, he is a mean geezer. (Although he could not be
> older than 2 years max.)
>
> ** I will leave it at that, otherwise someone will eventually tell me
> I am overreacting about the ER visit and the deep puncture wounds
> from Gabby biting her.
>
> --
> -Lost
> Remove the extra words to reply by e-mail. Don't e-mail me. I am
> kidding. No I am not.

-Lost
May 31st 08, 10:47 PM
Response to "blkcatgal" >:

> Please read my subsequent post which gives more info...the first
> post got sent somehow before I was finished.

Got it.

> The intros are not
> going real well. Like your cats, the new cat, Zoey, is tiny...just
> over 8 lbs. My two cats, both male, are about 13 lbs. and could
> take Zoey in a heartbeat...but she is the aggressor. Anyway, for
> about the past week we have kept Zoey behind the screen door and
> have given her limited interaction with my other 2 cats. I have
> come to the conclusion that it is going to be a very slow go
> getting all of them to live together in a somewhat friendly
> manner. I think part of the problem is that Zoey lived all of her
> life (she's about a year old now; we've had her for the past 3
> months) running scared and protecting herself from
> everything...including other cats.

I think that is the problem with Gabby. He was young and feral when
we found him (born in the neighborhood I suspect).

Phat Kat however has declawed fronts and he is altered. Add the
fact that he is monstrously overweight -- we just know Phat Kat was
someone else's owner at some point. (We put fliers and notified the
park manager and no one ever came for Phat Kat. Ah well... their
bad, our good.)


> It's probably going to take
> that long to un-teach her everything she's learned up to this
> point. I have to admit, she's made great strides so far, at least
> as far as accepting me. Right now, I am taking it one day at a
> time and hoping things get better as time goes on. Keep me posted
> on how Gabby does with Phat Cat, okay?

Yes ma'am, I will. Yesterday (right after I posted) we went ahead
with a full out interaction. We let them both loose and no hair
flew!

However... Gabby is stalking Phat Kat like prey -- CONSTANTLY. He
does not appear to want a fight, but he does not get that Phat Kat
is tired of him following all the time and eventually swiping his
tail while Phat Kat is eating or grooming.

And on that note they just tangled. Hissing, batting, and Gabby
just chased Phat Kat down the hall.

Bye!

--
-Lost
Remove the extra words to reply by e-mail. Don't e-mail me. I am
kidding. No I am not.

CatNipped[_2_]
June 13th 08, 04:20 PM
"-Lost" > wrote in message
...
> Response to "blkcatgal" >:
>
>> Please read my subsequent post which gives more info...the first
>> post got sent somehow before I was finished.
>
> Got it.
>
>> The intros are not
>> going real well. Like your cats, the new cat, Zoey, is tiny...just
>> over 8 lbs. My two cats, both male, are about 13 lbs. and could
>> take Zoey in a heartbeat...but she is the aggressor. Anyway, for
>> about the past week we have kept Zoey behind the screen door and
>> have given her limited interaction with my other 2 cats. I have
>> come to the conclusion that it is going to be a very slow go
>> getting all of them to live together in a somewhat friendly
>> manner. I think part of the problem is that Zoey lived all of her
>> life (she's about a year old now; we've had her for the past 3
>> months) running scared and protecting herself from
>> everything...including other cats.
>
> I think that is the problem with Gabby. He was young and feral when
> we found him (born in the neighborhood I suspect).
>
> Phat Kat however has declawed fronts and he is altered. Add the
> fact that he is monstrously overweight -- we just know Phat Kat was
> someone else's owner at some point. (We put fliers and notified the
> park manager and no one ever came for Phat Kat. Ah well... their
> bad, our good.)
>
>
>> It's probably going to take
>> that long to un-teach her everything she's learned up to this
>> point. I have to admit, she's made great strides so far, at least
>> as far as accepting me. Right now, I am taking it one day at a
>> time and hoping things get better as time goes on. Keep me posted
>> on how Gabby does with Phat Cat, okay?
>
> Yes ma'am, I will. Yesterday (right after I posted) we went ahead
> with a full out interaction. We let them both loose and no hair
> flew!
>
> However... Gabby is stalking Phat Kat like prey -- CONSTANTLY. He
> does not appear to want a fight, but he does not get that Phat Kat
> is tired of him following all the time and eventually swiping his
> tail while Phat Kat is eating or grooming.
>
> And on that note they just tangled. Hissing, batting, and Gabby
> just chased Phat Kat down the hall.

Well, looking on the bright side, Phat Kat is at least getting some needed
exercise! ;>

Hugs,

CatNipped

>
> Bye!
>
> --
> -Lost
> Remove the extra words to reply by e-mail. Don't e-mail me. I am
> kidding. No I am not.

-Lost
June 14th 08, 03:12 PM
Response to "CatNipped" >:

<snip>

>> And on that note they just tangled. Hissing, batting, and Gabby
>> just chased Phat Kat down the hall.
>
> Well, looking on the bright side, Phat Kat is at least getting
> some needed exercise! ;>

They have both had a good 2 weeks of hissercising now.

Both could lose their tummy -- although Phat Kat's tummy is the size of
Gabby.

--
-Lost
Remove the extra words to reply by e-mail. Don't e-mail me. I am
kidding. No I am not.