PDA

View Full Version : How to Give a Cat Medicine ????

May 29th 08, 05:11 PM
http://cat-health.fantastic-galleries.net,There is really no easy way
to administer medicines to your cat. Cats are quick, and can easily
slip away from you, and hide. Try various methods, until you find one
that works for you and depending on the size of your cat.

1. Prepare the medicine you have to administer and place on top of a
paper towel, on the top of the kitchen counter so that you can grab it
quickly as soon as the cat's mouth opens.

2. Lift the cat and hold around with one arm, while using your hand
to open their mouth. The trick to open their mouth easily, is to use
your thumb and middle finger, and press into the corner of their
mouth. They instantly open their mouth, enabling you to give the cat
the medication.

* DO NOT squirt liquid medication into the cat's throat or tongue.
Liquids are likely to go down a cat's windpipe, making the cat choke.
For liquid medications, insert the dropper between the cat's cheek and
teeth. Then, stroke the cat's throat or blow sharply on its nose to
encourage the cat to swallow.

3. Administer thick gel like medications from a tube as for hairball
prevention, is easier done by one of two methods, or a combination of
both.

* Place the required dose onto your finger, and insert your
finger into their mouth. They lick it off easily.
* If they resist, or leave some on your finger, just wipe
your finger with the gel onto their paws or
outside their mouth. They will wash their paws and mouth,
and digest the gel. This works great!!
* To give your cat a pill, crush the pill and mix it with
with cream cheese. Wipe the mixture onto the
cat's front leg. He will instantly lick it and therefore
consume his medication.

Tips
-------

* Speed and sure aim help get the pill or dropper into the mouth
before there's time for stress or a fight. This is why it is best to
prepare the medications before you even pick up the cat.

* When giving a cat a tablet, it might be easier to first dip the
tablet in margarine. This practice will keep the pill from becoming
lodged in the throat. It will also encourage the cat to swallow the
tablet and can help cover up any unpleasant taste.

* To give a cat a pill, open their mouth as described above, quickly
pop in the pill, and close their mouth with your hand, while gently
blowing in their nose. This will cause your cat to swallow.

* When cats panic, they tend to back up. Use this to your advantage by
kneeling on the floor with the cat between your knees, facing away
from you. Doing this will make it easier to open the mouths of some
cats or get drops into their eyes and ears.

* To immobilized a cat while giving medication: Spread out a towel,
put the cat in the middle of a towel and wrap the cat up like a
burrito; leaving it's head sticking out.

* If giving liquid medication, to keep it from getting all over the
cat's fur make a hole in one corner of a paper towel and put the cat's
head through the hole, using the paper towel as a bib.

* Cats have a gap in the back of there row of teeth, with dropper
medicine, you can point the tip of the dropper into this gap to
instantly open its mouth to quickly administer medicine.

Your can refer to this blog(site) which teach you all about "cat
medicine"

Site cat medicine :
http://cat-health.fantastic-galleries.net

Mac Cool
May 29th 08, 11:36 PM
:

> 2. Lift the cat and hold around with one arm, while using your hand
> to open their mouth. The trick to open their mouth easily, is to use
> your thumb and middle finger, and press into the corner of their
> mouth. They instantly open their mouth, enabling you to give the cat
> the medication.

And if you have a very large cat like I do, I find it easier to get on my
knees and scootch up behind the cat so he fits into the pocket formed by
my legs then he can't retreat backwards. I place my left hand on top his
head, palm covering his eyes and wrap my thumb and forefinger around his
muzzle wriggling them under his lips with gentle pressure. The cat will
part his mouth and open fully if you touch his tongue. You have far more
control holding the top of his head rather than under his jaw.

At least this works for me.

Just a guy
May 31st 08, 01:34 AM
The burrito method is what works best for me. I always ask for
medications in liquid form, get a large towel and in one quick swoop,
roll up a cat. Only the ****ed face sticks out, and I stick the
squirter thing in the corner of the mouth. Head tipped back, and he
has no choice but to swallow.

Followed by a treat and lots of "Good boy."

After a couple of weeks on antibiotics recently, my big cat saw the
green towel and tried to run. Poor guy ran and got ON the bed. I guess
he thought that was a safe spot, but turns out it wasn't.

-Lost
June 2nd 08, 07:47 PM
Response to "cindys" >:

<snip>
> And the piller is long enough that I can avoid getting scratched
> or bitten because once I put the piller in his mouth, I can take
> my hands away.
<snip>

Would you clarify this statement for me, please?

Is it made in such a way as to prevent kitty from going, "ptooooee!"
(Spitting it out.)

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

-Lost
June 3rd 08, 11:49 PM
Response to "cindys" >:

<snip>

> You have to be sure to get the tip of the piller (the endcap holds
> the pill) all the way to the back of the cat's throat (over the
> back of the tongue). If you don't get it back far enough, the cat
> will indeed spit it out.

<snip>

> Here is an illustration. Scroll to the bottom to see the image of
> the cat being pilled with the piller:
> http://www.iacuc.arizona.edu/training/cats/medicating.html

Aaaaah, OK. I could not imagine doing it the other way shown on the
page anymore.

I had to give Gabby a round of antibiotics by hand and I got badly
"pinch-bit" every time -- my term for him biting the hell out of me,
but not having enough leverage to get his fangs sunk in.

Thanks for the page and the advice.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

-Lost
June 6th 08, 02:35 PM
Response to "cindys" >:

<snip>

> With the piller, the teeth are no longer an issue, but the claws
> can actually become the bigger issue. If Gabby tends to put his
> paw up (claws extended) to push your hand away (some cats will,
> some cats won't), have someone gently hold his paws. He probably
> won't fight that, as the clawing seems to be more of an automatic
> reflex than the cat's actually attempting to fight the person or
> hurt the person giving him the pill. Let us know how it goes.

Most definitely, thanks. But for the record -- as I see it -- Gabby
would go ape-****e if someone held his paws. I think he would put up
with something in his mouth for several seconds before trying
something crazy...

....which is all you said it would take.

So -- swift of hand, and a slew of cat treats to follow -- I think
the "piller" will become my friend.

Thanks!
--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

CatNipped[_2_]
June 6th 08, 10:04 PM
"-Lost" > wrote in message
> Response to "cindys" >:
>
> <snip>
>
>> With the piller, the teeth are no longer an issue, but the claws
>> can actually become the bigger issue. If Gabby tends to put his
>> paw up (claws extended) to push your hand away (some cats will,
>> some cats won't), have someone gently hold his paws. He probably
>> won't fight that, as the clawing seems to be more of an automatic
>> reflex than the cat's actually attempting to fight the person or
>> hurt the person giving him the pill. Let us know how it goes.
>
> Most definitely, thanks. But for the record -- as I see it -- Gabby
> would go ape-****e if someone held his paws. I think he would put up
> with something in his mouth for several seconds before trying
> something crazy...
>
> ...which is all you said it would take.
>
> So -- swift of hand, and a slew of cat treats to follow -- I think
> the "piller" will become my friend.
>
> Thanks!
> --
> -Lost
> kidding. No I am not.

Another good idea is to always have a syringe full of water to wash the pill
down. If a pill (especially a tablet) gets stuck in the throat it can cause
some serious problems. Because of this I always cover pill with a generous
amount of butter to help it glide down the throat.

Hugs,

CatNipped

-Lost
June 7th 08, 02:47 AM
Response to "CatNipped" >:

<snip>

> Another good idea is to always have a syringe full of water to
> wash the pill down. If a pill (especially a tablet) gets stuck in
> the throat it can cause some serious problems. Because of this I
> always cover pill with a generous amount of butter to help it
> glide down the throat.

Good deal. Thanks for the tip!

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

Homer J. Fong
March 9th 10, 08:57 AM
Well, a year and a half late with a response, but better late than
never, I suppose...

I recently adopted an older male cat that was dumped on someone's farm
nearby. Three months after I got him be began having horrible seizures.
Daily phenobarb does the trick, but he absolutely freaks when anyone
touches his mouth, and it took me half an hour to get the first day's
dose into him.

After checking witht he vet to make sure the phenobarb pills could be
crushed, I came up with a variation on the "cream cheese" method:

1. Put the pill in a small bowl and crush it into a few small pieces
(it doesn't need to be totally pulverized).

2. Add a small amount (~ a teaspoon) of really hot water. This should
dissolve the pill, but you'll still have a solution with pill sediment
that settles on the bottom. Stir it to make sure that all of the larger
pieces dissolve.

3. Get a canned food that contains a lot of strong (but delicious)
smelling juice/oil. I use the Fish and Shrimp Feast (Fancy Feast).
Squeeze out the liquid/oil into the water/medicine mixture, then stir
it well and give it to kitty.

Note:

- Don't try to get more mileage out of one can by adding water before
you squeeze out the liquid/oil. I tried this, and I kept winding up
with pill sediment at the bottom of the bowl, since the mixture was too
thin. Something oily will be thick enough to keep all of the pill
particles in suspension, so they won't settle at the bottom but will be
mixed more or less evenly throughout.

- If you really want to squeeze every possible drop of liquid/oil from
the cat food, get hold of a potato ricer, line it with a piece of
cheesecloth, place the cat food inside, fold the cloth over the top and
press away. I just tried this today and it worked wonders, but you
don't have to be that extreme to make this method work.

I tried this with Krusty (my gato), and he laps it right up every time.
If you notice a little sediment at the bottom of the bowl after your
kitty is done, have a second can on hand to add some more, then give it
a stir again and give it to him/her.