PDA

View Full Version : Tommy update: some good, some bad

Mac Cool
May 29th 08, 09:56 PM
Well I've been force feeding Tommy since he left the hospital last week.
Once I learned what I was doing and got a feeding syringe, he showed some
dramatic improvement. I've been making making my own concoctions out of
ground dry cat food, vitamins, corn syrup and a few drops of olive oil. I
cut out the olive oil because it makes the stool very runny. Today I
started feeding watered down A/D. Tommy has shown much improvement in
temperment, his coat looks better, he is walking better and getting
stronger.

Unfortunately today we had a little setback. He's been a little whiny all
day then a few minutes ago he cried out in pain and pooped on the bathroom
floor. He looked like he was passing a bowling ball but the stool was
about the consistancy of pudding, brown, and smelly enough to gag a
maggot. I don't really see why he should have been straining. Until now
his bowel movements have been regular, a little loose because of all the
runny food but otherwise normal. What in the world could be going wrong
now?

Rene S.
May 30th 08, 01:02 AM
I'm so sorry Tommy is still feeling ill. I know you meant well, but
the mixture you were feeding him may have upset his intestines. Stick
with wet food only right now, with nothing else added (except water).
You might try a grain-free canned food, such as Wellness or Nature's
Variety.

Is he on an antibiotic? If yes, which one? This might be causing some
stomach upset too.

Riannon via CatKB.com
May 30th 08, 03:45 AM
Mac Cool wrote:
>dramatic improvement. I've been making making my own concoctions out of
>ground dry cat food, vitamins, corn syrup and a few drops of olive oil. I
>cut out the olive oil because it makes the stool very runny. Today I
>started feeding watered down A/D. Tommy has shown much improvement in

Good to see he's improving.

>his bowel movements have been regular, a little loose because of all the
>runny food but otherwise normal. What in the world could be going wrong
>now?

Anytime you start a new food it can cause diarreah and sometimes there can be
blood in it.

Riannon

tension_on_the_wire
May 30th 08, 09:25 AM
On May 29, 1:56*pm, Mac Cool > wrote:
> Well I've been force feeding Tommy since he left the hospital last week.
> Once I learned what I was doing and got a feeding syringe, he showed some
> dramatic improvement. I've been making making my own concoctions out of
> ground dry cat food, vitamins, corn syrup and a few drops of olive oil. I
> cut out the olive oil because it makes the stool very runny. Today I
> started feeding watered down A/D. Tommy has shown much improvement in
> temperment, his coat looks better, he is walking better and getting
> stronger.
>
> Unfortunately today we had a little setback. He's been a little whiny all
> day then a few minutes ago he cried out in pain and pooped on the bathroom
> floor. He looked like he was passing a bowling ball but the stool was
> about the consistancy of pudding, brown, and smelly enough to gag a
> maggot. I don't really see why he should have been straining. Until now
> his bowel movements have been regular, a little loose because of all the
> runny food but otherwise normal. What in the world could be going wrong
> now?

I haven't heard the background illness, but sometimes, in
constipation, if it is severe, the softer stool above the obstruction
can slide down past it and come out in what is known as "overflow"
diarrhea. So constipation might explain the straining. As I said, I
don't know what he was in hospital for, and what the past story is, so
I'm sorry if this is just a red herring.

--tension

Mac Cool
May 30th 08, 05:22 PM
tension_on_the_wire:

> I haven't heard the background illness, but sometimes, in
> constipation, if it is severe, the softer stool above the obstruction
> can slide down past it and come out in what is known as "overflow"
> diarrhea. So constipation might explain the straining. As I said, I
> don't know what he was in hospital for, and what the past story is, so
> I'm sorry if this is just a red herring.

He was diagnosed with a bad heart.

Mac Cool
May 30th 08, 07:22 PM
Rene S.:

> I'm so sorry Tommy is still feeling ill. I know you meant well, but
> the mixture you were feeding him may have upset his intestines.

How so? I added the corn syrup and olive oil to increase his fat intake
since he is not eating on his own and I'm watering his food down, he
isn't getting sufficient calories from the cat food alone. I stopped the
olive oil because it was giving him diarrhea.

> Stick
> with wet food only right now, with nothing else added (except water).

That's what I'm doing now except I'm still adding about a teaspoon of
corn syrup to each meal (about 30ml, 4x per day) and I've reduced the
amount of water added since he is getting stronger.

It's funny because he gets whiny about every 4 hours, like he's hungry
then he settles down after I force feed him but he won't take food on
his own. Sometimes he just sits and stares at his food bowl. One day he
acted as if he would take a bite from the bowl but didnt. I truly do not
understand this not eating thing.

> You might try a grain-free canned food, such as Wellness or Nature's
> Variety.

I might do that after I run out of A/D (2 more cans), as I understand it
has a high amount of vitamen A and may not be good for him in the long
run.

> Is he on an antibiotic? If yes, which one? This might be causing some
> stomach upset too.

No antibiotics.

Twice daily he takes:
pimobendan
furosemide

Every 48 hours:
1/4 baby aspirin

Every 3 days:
mirtazapine as an appetite stimulant, which hasn't worked so far

Rene S.
May 30th 08, 07:58 PM
> > I'm so sorry Tommy is still feeling ill. I know you meant well, but
> > the mixture you were feeding him may have upset his intestines.
>
> How so? I added the corn syrup and olive oil to increase his fat intake
> since he is not eating on his own and I'm watering his food down, he
> isn't getting sufficient calories from the cat food alone. I stopped the
> olive oil because it was giving him diarrhea.

Corn syrup/sugar in general is not something cats need in their diet.
(In fact, cats lack the gene to even taste sweet things!)

> > Stick
> > with wet food only right now, with nothing else added (except water).

> It's funny because he gets whiny about every 4 hours, like he's hungry
> then he settles down after I force feed him but he won't take food on
> his own. Sometimes he just sits and stares at his food bowl. One day he
> acted as if he would take a bite from the bowl but didnt. I truly do not
> understand this not eating thing.

I have read that cats, after illness or stress, can have a hard time
jump-starting their appetite. Have you tried putting a tiny bit of
food on his nose, so he's forced to lick it off? Sometimes that helps.
How about slightly warming his food?

> I might do that after I run out of A/D (2 more cans), as I understand it
> has a high amount of vitamen A and may not be good for him in the long
> run.

A/D is certainly acceptable for a short term food. You might try
Innova Evo, a grain-free canned food that is higher in calories.

> Every 48 hours:
> 1/4 baby aspirin

I have to wonder if this isn't bothering his stomach. How long will he
be on the aspirin?

> Every 3 days:
> mirtazapine as an appetite stimulant, which hasn't worked so far

Have you thought about trying cyproheptadine as an appetite stimulant?
It's actually an antihistimine that has a side effect of increasing
appetite. I know many people who have used it with good results.