PDA

View Full Version : Will fish oil help with hairballs?

James Egan
May 30th 08, 04:07 AM
I've been giving petromalt to my one cat that was vomiting several days a
week. Along with more brushing, the problem has subsided considerably.
I'd like to give them an oil they would like, and I think they would like
fish oil. Is it safe to give them fish oil several times a week in their
wet food? Also, would olive oil have the same benefit of lubricating
their insides and helping them pass hairballs? I've read that mineral oil
(like in the petromalt) works, but there can be issues with the cat
inhaling the fumes. I've also read that cod liver oil is too high in
vitamin A.

-Thanks

tension_on_the_wire
May 30th 08, 09:22 AM
On May 29, 8:07*pm, James Egan > wrote:
> I've been giving petromalt to my one cat that was vomiting several days a
> week. *Along with more brushing, the problem has subsided considerably.
> I'd like to give them an oil they would like, and I think they would like
> fish oil. *Is it safe to give them fish oil several times a week in their
> wet food? *Also, would olive oil have the same benefit of lubricating
> their insides and helping them pass hairballs? *I've read that mineral oil
> (like in the petromalt) works, but there can be issues with the cat
> inhaling the fumes. *I've also read that cod liver oil is too high in
> vitamin A.
>
> -Thanks

Cats generally love the taste of petromalt...of all the options you
listed, that's the one I would guess they would prefer. Fish oil is
not really thick enough for lubrication anyway and they would have to
drink a deal of it to get any effect in comparison to that little blob
of petromalt. And not all cats like the taste of fish oil anyway...it
does not taste like fish. It tastes like stale fish, which is what it
is.

--tension

Rene S.
May 30th 08, 04:05 PM
Fish oil certainly would not harm your cats, as it contains many
omega-3s, but I doubt it would do much for hairballs. Petromalt is
primarily petroleum jelly, so you could use that (though they probably
would like the taste). Unfortunately, I do not know about olive oil.

I've noticed a great reduction in hairballs since I've switched to wet
food, BTW. You might try that.