PDA

View Full Version : OCD Bengal.. ideas?

Brian Link
June 1st 08, 03:02 AM
Louis is a wonderful cat, though he's the last purchase we'll be
making from a breeder (too many homeless cats in shelters). We bought
him to be a friend to our energetic senior citizen Tiger, and that's
worked out really well - they play together constantly, and keep each
other company while we're at work.

However, Louis has exhibited a lot of behaviors that could be
attributed to stress. We constantly battle to keep his inappropriate
urination in check (we're winning atm). He also grooms himself
obssessively, to the point that he's just got his short-hairs left in
his crotch.

Has anyone here used antidepressants or anxiolitics to treat their
cats? What have been the results?

Thanks.

BLink
"God created all tribes of men, and certainly had a righteous purpose in creating each"
- Geronimo

Pat[_2_]
June 1st 08, 07:14 PM
"Brian Link" > wrote

| Has anyone here used antidepressants or anxiolitics to treat their
| cats? What have been the results?

Feliway works great.

Rene S.
June 2nd 08, 02:48 PM
On Jun 1, 1:25*pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
> First have you been to a vet to rule out medical problems

Agreed.

> Second *if you are contributing the factors to stress *what are the factors
> causing it and how can you remove them

I'd try Feliway, as another poster's already suggested. Also, like
Matthew suggested, what stresses him out? Do you notice any patterns
in what he's doing? Make a list and bring it to your vet.

For the litter box issues, do you have at least three boxes in
different locations? Does the other cat prevent him from using the
litter box at all?

Do you play with him regularly, and if so, how often? I understand
that Bengals are high-energy cats. Do you have a tall cat tree for him
to climb on? Can you take him out for leash walks to burn off some
energy?