PDA

View Full Version : Help please

greg
June 5th 08, 05:22 PM
Hi everyone. We have a new litter-born May 14th-of 6 beautiful
kittens. They all actually had thier eyes open at 10 days. One of them
seems to have a problem with keeping itís head up and in a ístraight
íposition. She is gaining weight and a friend told me in time she
should gain strenght and walk better; however she seems to be gaining
agility but still manuvers around as if she canít stand up or walk in
a straight line. It is like her body wants to walk in circles with
her litle head down. I called my vet and he says it may be a nerve
issue but cant see her till mid month. I asked him if she will be okay
and he said he was not sure. She does not seem to be in any pain at
all and I have no problems raising a disabled kitty, I just wondered
if anyone else had experienced this. I guess what Iím really looking
for is an assurance from someone that she will be okay. Many thanks
for any replies Greg

cybercat
June 5th 08, 05:39 PM
"greg" > wrote in message
news:[email protected] com...
> Hi everyone. We have a new litter-born May 14th-of 6 beautiful
> kittens. They all actually had thier eyes open at 10 days. One of them
> seems to have a problem with keeping it's head up and in a 'straight
> 'position. She is gaining weight and a friend told me in time she
> should gain strenght and walk better; however she seems to be gaining
> agility but still manuvers around as if she can't stand up or walk in
> a straight line. It is like her body wants to walk in circles with
> her litle head down. I called my vet and he says it may be a nerve
> issue but cant see her till mid month. I asked him if she will be okay
> and he said he was not sure. She does not seem to be in any pain at
> all and I have no problems raising a disabled kitty, I just wondered
> if anyone else had experienced this. I guess what I'm really looking
> for is an assurance from someone that she will be okay. Many thanks
> for any replies Greg

Your vet is probably the best person to ask.

CatNipped[_2_]
June 5th 08, 06:15 PM
"greg" > wrote in message
news:[email protected] com...
> Hi everyone. We have a new litter-born May 14th-of 6 beautiful
> kittens. They all actually had thier eyes open at 10 days. One of them
> seems to have a problem with keeping it's head up and in a 'straight
> 'position. She is gaining weight and a friend told me in time she
> should gain strenght and walk better; however she seems to be gaining
> agility but still manuvers around as if she can't stand up or walk in
> a straight line. It is like her body wants to walk in circles with
> her litle head down. I called my vet and he says it may be a nerve
> issue but cant see her till mid month. I asked him if she will be okay
> and he said he was not sure. She does not seem to be in any pain at
> all and I have no problems raising a disabled kitty, I just wondered
> if anyone else had experienced this. I guess what I'm really looking
> for is an assurance from someone that she will be okay. Many thanks
> for any replies Greg

I think that if my vet told me I'd have to wait until mid-month to have my
sick kitten seen I'd have to find another vet ASAP.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Phil P.
June 5th 08, 06:33 PM
"greg" > wrote in message
news:[email protected] com...
> Hi everyone. We have a new litter-born May 14th-of 6 beautiful
> kittens. They all actually had thier eyes open at 10 days. One of them
> seems to have a problem with keeping it's head up and in a 'straight
> 'position. She is gaining weight and a friend told me in time she
> should gain strenght and walk better; however she seems to be gaining
> agility but still manuvers around as if she can't stand up or walk in
> a straight line. It is like her body wants to walk in circles with
> her litle head down. I called my vet and he says it may be a nerve
> issue but cant see her till mid month. I asked him if she will be okay
> and he said he was not sure. She does not seem to be in any pain at
> all and I have no problems raising a disabled kitty, I just wondered
> if anyone else had experienced this. I guess what I'm really looking
> for is an assurance from someone that she will be okay. Many thanks
> for any replies Greg

Sounds like cerebella hypoplasia. It happens when the cerebellum becomes
damaged while a kitten is still in the uterus. There's not much that you can
do- there is no treatment- but I would still get her into a vet ASAP for a
definitive diagnosis and make sure she isn't harboring the Feline Parvovirus
(the virus that causes panleukopenia).

If it is CH, the kitten will still live a normal life. She'll just have
coordination problems- similar to people with cerebral palsy. Just get her
to a vet ASAP.

Good luck,

Phil

MaryL
June 6th 08, 02:09 AM
"greg" > wrote in message
news:[email protected] com...
> Hi everyone. We have a new litter-born May 14th-of 6 beautiful
> kittens. They all actually had thier eyes open at 10 days. One of them
> seems to have a problem with keeping it's head up and in a 'straight
> 'position. She is gaining weight and a friend told me in time she
> should gain strenght and walk better; however she seems to be gaining
> agility but still manuvers around as if she can't stand up or walk in
> a straight line. It is like her body wants to walk in circles with
> her litle head down. I called my vet and he says it may be a nerve
> issue but cant see her till mid month. I asked him if she will be okay
> and he said he was not sure. She does not seem to be in any pain at
> all and I have no problems raising a disabled kitty, I just wondered
> if anyone else had experienced this. I guess what I'm really looking
> for is an assurance from someone that she will be okay. Many thanks
> for any replies Greg

As the others have said, your kitten needs to be seen by a vet ASAP. It
does sound neurological. I would look for another vet, and I would make
this a *permanent* change. I would not want to count on a vet like that for
emergencies.

Please keep us updated.

MaryL

Paul M. Cook[_2_]
June 6th 08, 02:54 AM
"greg" > wrote in message
news:[email protected] com...
> Hi everyone. We have a new litter-born May 14th-of 6 beautiful
> kittens. They all actually had thier eyes open at 10 days. One of them
> seems to have a problem with keeping it's head up and in a 'straight
> 'position. She is gaining weight and a friend told me in time she
> should gain strenght and walk better; however she seems to be gaining
> agility but still manuvers around as if she can't stand up or walk in
> a straight line. It is like her body wants to walk in circles with
> her litle head down. I called my vet and he says it may be a nerve
> issue but cant see her till mid month. I asked him if she will be okay
> and he said he was not sure. She does not seem to be in any pain at
> all and I have no problems raising a disabled kitty, I just wondered
> if anyone else had experienced this. I guess what I'm really looking
> for is an assurance from someone that she will be okay. Many thanks
> for any replies Greg

I have never waited. If one vet has no time, another one does. Don;t be
shy about just calling around and asking for a same day. The worst they'll
say is no. Explain the urgency.

Paul

cybercat
June 6th 08, 03:09 AM
"Paul M. Cook" > wrote

> I have never waited. If one vet has no time, another one does.

Really. I don't understand how anyone can bear having an ill animal
and NOT get it the help it needs.