PDA

View Full Version : Help please, our five year old cat has diabetes

June 7th 08, 02:34 AM
Sorry to be bried here,
It seemed all of a sudden but the past few days our 5 year old kitty
has gotten very ill and very lethargic. We took him to the vet and he
did some blood test. He said that the liver didn't seem to be
funtioning very well and something seemed wrong with the pancreous.
His blood sugar was very high too.

Our vet speculated on several things, including diabetes, pancreous
cancer, pancritus (sp?) and a few other things I can't really
remember.

He gave us a few options, one involved other expensive testing to help
narrow it down, the other was to treat him for diabetes, and the third
was to put him to sleep.

I chose the second one, as I want to try to help him. My vet gave us a
script for insulin and started our kitty with 2 units. I've been force
feeding him baby food to keep him hydrated, and also force feeding him
pedalyte.

I don't know is blood sugar count, maybe I should buy a home test kit.
My question is, today was the first day of his insulin shot, how soon
should we know if it is to start working? Kitty is still very
lethargic.

June 7th 08, 03:15 AM
On Jun 6, 6:40*pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
> first calm down *many of us have diabetic kitties *it takes a few days for
> the insulin to start working
>
> Here is a site that will help you along the wayhttp://felinediabetes.com/
>
> please read this tonighthttp://felinediabetes.com/newdiag.htm
>
> I have a kitty named Rumble that is now 2 years off *of insulin by getting
> his diet under control
>
> > wrote in message

> > Sorry to be bried here,
> > It seemed all of a sudden but the past few days our 5 year old kitty
> > has gotten very ill and very lethargic. We took him to the vet and he
> > did some blood test. He said that the liver didn't seem to be
> > funtioning very well and something seemed wrong with the pancreous.
> > His blood sugar was very high too.
>
> > Our vet speculated on several things, including diabetes, pancreous
> > cancer, pancritus (sp?) and a few other things I can't really
> > remember.
>
> > He gave us a few options, one involved other expensive testing to help
> > narrow it down, the other was to treat him for diabetes, and the third
> > was to put him to sleep.
>
> > I chose the second one, as I want to try to help him. My vet gave us a
> > script for insulin and started our kitty with 2 units. I've been force
> > feeding him baby food to keep him hydrated, and also force feeding him
> > pedalyte.
>
> > I don't know is blood sugar count, maybe I should buy a home test kit.
> > My question is, today was the first day of his insulin shot, how soon
> > should we know if it is to start working? Kitty is still very
> > lethargic.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks, our guy looks so lifeless though. Very lethargic.

I'm assuming I continue force feeding him, until he can eat by himself
and then modify his diet?

I just remember our vet telling us our cat is very sick.

-Lost
June 7th 08, 04:14 AM
Response to :

<snip>

> I'm assuming I continue force feeding him, until he can eat by
> himself and then modify his diet?

I have NO CLUE about diabetes in kitties, but it cannot possibly do any
good to discontinue feedings.

I would continue feeding until the likes such as your vet, Phil P., or
perhaps a few others on here said so -- which I doubt they will.

Good luck with your sickitty.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

June 7th 08, 04:19 AM
On Jun 6, 8:14*pm, "-Lost" > wrote:
> Response to :
>
> <snip>
>
> > I'm assuming I continue force feeding him, until he can eat by
> > himself and then modify his diet?
>
> I have NO CLUE about diabetes in kitties, but it cannot possibly do any
> good to discontinue feedings.
>
> I would continue feeding until the likes such as your vet, Phil P., or
> perhaps a few others on here said so -- which I doubt they will.
>
> Good luck with your sickitty.
>
> --
> -Lost
> Remove the extra words to reply by e-mail. *Don't e-mail me. *I am
> kidding. *No I am not.

Thanks, I know there is also feeding tubes, he hates it when I do
force feed him, but I'll continue this way.

hamandcheese
June 7th 08, 09:22 PM
wrote:

>Sorry to be bried here,
>It seemed all of a sudden but the past few days our 5 year old kitty
>has gotten very ill and very lethargic. We took him to the vet and he
>did some blood test. He said that the liver didn't seem to be
>funtioning very well and something seemed wrong with the pancreous.
>His blood sugar was very high too.
>
>Our vet speculated on several things, including diabetes, pancreous
>cancer, pancritus (sp?) and a few other things I can't really
>remember.
>
>He gave us a few options, one involved other expensive testing to help
>narrow it down, the other was to treat him for diabetes, and the third
>was to put him to sleep.
>
>I chose the second one, as I want to try to help him. My vet gave us a
>script for insulin and started our kitty with 2 units. I've been force
>feeding him baby food to keep him hydrated, and also force feeding him
>pedalyte.
>
>I don't know is blood sugar count, maybe I should buy a home test kit.
>My question is, today was the first day of his insulin shot, how soon
>should we know if it is to start working? Kitty is still very
>lethargic.

If your vet didn't keep your cat for a couple of days and monitor his
blood sugar curve then you have a vet that doesn't have a clue or else
no inclination to treat this disease properly. The wrong insulin
dosage can be either ineffective or lethal. Also keep in mind that a
consistent diet is very important to maintain the blood sugar range
that the insulin dosage is targeting.

My suggestion is to take the blood test results to another vet and
discuss the *proper* way to treat diabetes.

-mhd