PDA

View Full Version : OT?: I just want to tell a story about my declawed cat. LONG (and maybe boring).

-Lost
June 7th 08, 04:10 AM
OT?: I just want to tell a story about my declawed cat. LONG (and
maybe boring).

NOTE: I am not a good "storyteller." I just want to write a bit.

Gabby first came to run my life almost a year ago now and one of my
first questions arose from the misconceptions taught to me most of my
life.

Cats should be declawed.

Quite luckily I occasionally realize that I am not smarter than the
whole world -- although I still think I am crazier than 90% of the
population -- and I decided to ask here first.

A few arse chewings, some stern talk, wonderful and helpful advice, and
at least 6 people e-mailing me to tell me how grave of a mistake I have
the chance to make... I made my decision.

Gabby was to keep his knives of kitty-doom.

Eight or so months later and I thank the heavens each day that I made
the choice I did.

Then one dark and stormy night -- much like the night I found a
shivering kitten under my car (Gabby) -- something scared the hell out
of me as it brushed forcefully up against my legs.

As daggers of icy fear raced up my spine severing my bladder control
somewhere along the line, I glanced down and saw a massive kitty giving
me tons of wet loving (from the storm people, the storm...).

The acclamation process has been an interesting and honestly a bit more
difficult one than I anticipated.

But the real point of this story is that Phat Kat was sent to open my
heart and truly make me understand.

Someone had Phat Kat declawed.

I watch my Phat Kat paw at the furniture, pillows, and the tops of my
children's' heads as if he were playing bongo drums desperately acting
out an instinct ingrained in him from DNA dating back thousands if not
hundreds of thousands of years and I cry...

I watch as Gabby dances around nimbly with his claws extended waiting
for that opening -- and I watch as Phat Kat swipes Gabby in the face
with his pillow paws over and over and over again -- and Gabby merely
blinks.

I sit here crying right now because it tears me apart to see his little
cauliflower feet and those funny tufts of hair that stick up where toes
should rightfully be.

I think back to the times when even after all the sagely wisdom had
been imparted upon me that I still considered a declaw for Gabby and it
makes me so damned ashamed that I could literally stand in front of a
mirror and punch myself in the face until something bleeds.

I would say I am wiser now, not wise, wiser. And after everything that
has happened I am still thankful to those who helped make me so.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

CatNipped[_2_]
June 9th 08, 03:43 PM
"-Lost" > wrote in message
> OT?: I just want to tell a story about my declawed cat. LONG (and
> maybe boring).
>
> NOTE: I am not a good "storyteller." I just want to write a bit.
>
> Gabby first came to run my life almost a year ago now and one of my
> first questions arose from the misconceptions taught to me most of my
> life.
>
> Cats should be declawed.
>
> Quite luckily I occasionally realize that I am not smarter than the
> whole world -- although I still think I am crazier than 90% of the
> population -- and I decided to ask here first.
>
> A few arse chewings, some stern talk, wonderful and helpful advice, and
> at least 6 people e-mailing me to tell me how grave of a mistake I have
> the chance to make... I made my decision.
>
> Gabby was to keep his knives of kitty-doom.
>
> Eight or so months later and I thank the heavens each day that I made
> the choice I did.
>
> Then one dark and stormy night -- much like the night I found a
> shivering kitten under my car (Gabby) -- something scared the hell out
> of me as it brushed forcefully up against my legs.
>
> As daggers of icy fear raced up my spine severing my bladder control
> somewhere along the line, I glanced down and saw a massive kitty giving
> me tons of wet loving (from the storm people, the storm...).
>
> The acclamation process has been an interesting and honestly a bit more
> difficult one than I anticipated.
>
> But the real point of this story is that Phat Kat was sent to open my
> heart and truly make me understand.
>
> Someone had Phat Kat declawed.
>
> I watch my Phat Kat paw at the furniture, pillows, and the tops of my
> children's' heads as if he were playing bongo drums desperately acting
> out an instinct ingrained in him from DNA dating back thousands if not
> hundreds of thousands of years and I cry...
>
> I watch as Gabby dances around nimbly with his claws extended waiting
> for that opening -- and I watch as Phat Kat swipes Gabby in the face
> with his pillow paws over and over and over again -- and Gabby merely
> blinks.
>
> I sit here crying right now because it tears me apart to see his little
> cauliflower feet and those funny tufts of hair that stick up where toes
> should rightfully be.
>
> I think back to the times when even after all the sagely wisdom had
> been imparted upon me that I still considered a declaw for Gabby and it
> makes me so damned ashamed that I could literally stand in front of a
> mirror and punch myself in the face until something bleeds.
>
> I would say I am wiser now, not wise, wiser. And after everything that
> has happened I am still thankful to those who helped make me so.

I'm glad we were here to help. But there are lots of people who come here
and *refuse* to accept the advice they're given after they ask for it (which
is probably why you got "a few arse chewings" - we get frustrated with those
and the trolls who are looking to stir trouble). So I'm especially glad
that you were open-minded and willing to accept what we told you. And I'm
glad you are willing to pass that advice along to others.

Hugs,

CatNipped