PDA

View Full Version : AlphaTrak test strips

Richard Evans
June 10th 08, 06:58 PM
Anyone know a low-cost source for the subject glucose test strips? The
best I've found is online at about $60 plus shipping for 50 strips.

I've read that human glucometers will work as well, and have
considered trying my own One-Touch meter, but the drop of blood from
the cat is way too smal to measure.

Claude V. Lucas
June 10th 08, 07:08 PM
In article >,
Richard Evans > wrote:
>Anyone know a low-cost source for the subject glucose test strips? The
>best I've found is online at about $60 plus shipping for 50 strips.
>
>I've read that human glucometers will work as well, and have
>considered trying my own One-Touch meter, but the drop of blood from
>the cat is way too smal to measure.

eBay.

Richard Evans
June 13th 08, 02:26 AM
"cindys" > wrote:

>"Richard Evans" > wrote in message
>> Anyone know a low-cost source for the subject glucose test strips? The
>> best I've found is online at about $60 plus shipping for 50 strips.
>>
>> I've read that human glucometers will work as well, and have
>> considered trying my own One-Touch meter, but the drop of blood from
>> the cat is way too smal to measure.
>-----
>I'm confused. The One-Touch is the one our vet has at the office. The
>Freestyle is the one I used for Alex. The amount of blood you needed was
>miniscule. I got it at the drugstore for $10 (it usually costs close to $100
>but it was a promotion - the manufacturer makes all his money on the test
>strips as you have discovered).

I don't know what model of One-Touch your vet has, but I've used the
Ultra, and lately the Mini. They both use the same strips. The blood
drop I get from the cat's ear is far too small to fill the One-Touch
capillary.

Richard Evans
June 13th 08, 02:08 PM
"cindys" > wrote:

>> I don't know what model of One-Touch your vet has, but I've used the
>> Ultra, and lately the Mini. They both use the same strips. The blood
>> drop I get from the cat's ear is far too small to fill the One-Touch
>> capillary.
>-----------
>Hmmm... Are you drawing the sample from the vein which runs around the
>perimeter of the cat's ear?

His ears are now so chewed up I can't even see the vein, not even
shining a light through the hear.

> Do you rub the area with vaseline first? This
>helps the blood bead up.

I have no problem with the blood beading, just a problem finding it.

> Other than that, I don't know what to suggest, but
>I will tell you that The Freestyle I have requires about as much blood as
>would fit on the head of a pin (or less).

That doesn't help me. I personally use the One-Touch and insurance
pays for the strips. If I bought a FreeStyle for the cat, I'd be in
the same boat I was in with the AlphaTrak: Paying a fortune out of
pocket for strips.