PDA

View Full Version : food for kidney trouble cat?

bob[_2_]
June 10th 08, 11:34 PM
My old cat has started to have kidney problems.

Any food particularly appetizing to cats with this?

Regards,

Bob

Joy
June 10th 08, 11:59 PM
"bob" > wrote in message
> My old cat has started to have kidney problems.
>
> Any food particularly appetizing to cats with this?
>
> Regards,
>
> Bob

Your vet will probably prescribe KD. Whether or not your cat finds it
appetizing may be another story.

Joy

bob[_2_]
June 11th 08, 03:38 AM
"Shawn Hirn" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Joy" > wrote:
>
>> "bob" > wrote in message
>> > My old cat has started to have kidney problems.
>> >
>> > Any food particularly appetizing to cats with this?
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> >
>> > Bob
>>
>> Your vet will probably prescribe KD. Whether or not your cat finds it
>> appetizing may be another story.
>
> I started to feed my cat the Science Diet KD food a six months ago. I
> feed her the dry food, and much to my surprise, she actually likes it.
> YMMV.

he's been on KD hard food for about 2 yrs. been on KD soft food for about 6
mos. he still eats it, but not enough, and if he likes something better and
will eat more of it, that's what i was hoping.

bob

Wendy
June 11th 08, 01:34 PM
"bob" > wrote in message

> "Shawn Hirn" > wrote in message
>> In article >,

>>> Your vet will probably prescribe KD. Whether or not your cat finds it
>>> appetizing may be another story.
>>
>> I started to feed my cat the Science Diet KD food a six months ago. I
>> feed her the dry food, and much to my surprise, she actually likes it.
>> YMMV.
>
> he's been on KD hard food for about 2 yrs. been on KD soft food for about
> 6 mos. he still eats it, but not enough, and if he likes something better
> and will eat more of it, that's what i was hoping.
>
> bob

IVD Modified is comparable to KD. My vet says that more cats find it
palatable either that or he just told me that because he stocks it.

My Isabelle did eat it but she also forms crystals and the Modified diet
didn't help that so she's back on the C/D. Given the choice between having a
cat who over-groomed herself and peed outside the box and one who appears to
be much happier, has her beautiful coat back and is using the box I'll take
the happy box-user.

wafflycat
June 11th 08, 09:22 PM
"Joy" > wrote in message
> "bob" > wrote in message
>> My old cat has started to have kidney problems.
>>
>> Any food particularly appetizing to cats with this?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Bob
>
> Your vet will probably prescribe KD. Whether or not your cat finds it
> appetizing may be another story.
>
> Joy

Ah yes... when Francis was prescribed Hills' renal food, he *refused* to eat
it with a look of "You expect me to eat that sh!t? You can stick that up
your..." For a while, as he was in acute medical need, I fed him it via a
syringe. Basically I mashed it with water into a paste and squirted it into
his mouth. He hated me. If looks could kill, I'd have died a thousand
deaths. But the food did the trick. After a month I put him on normal senior
cat food and he's been on that every day since.