PDA

View Full Version : Office Visit

James
June 11th 08, 12:59 AM
My pussy just visited the vet for a basic exam without blood test.
She had her temperature taken, heart & lungs listened to, visual exam
of coat & skin, eyes, ears, nose, throat, & lymph glands, mouth,
teeth, & gums, and other parts exam by touch. She was given excellent
current condition.

She was fixed 2 years ago and I guess got a quick look over last year
during her rabies shot.

Do you do your own exam or do you take them to the vet just for a
basic exam when there are no symptoms. I'm thinking maybe I should
buy a thermometer and stethoscope and just do my basic exam myself.

MaryL
June 11th 08, 01:30 AM
"James" > wrote in message
> My pussy just visited the vet for a basic exam without blood test.
> She had her temperature taken, heart & lungs listened to, visual exam
> of coat & skin, eyes, ears, nose, throat, & lymph glands, mouth,
> teeth, & gums, and other parts exam by touch. She was given excellent
> current condition.
>
> She was fixed 2 years ago and I guess got a quick look over last year
> during her rabies shot.
>
> Do you do your own exam or do you take them to the vet just for a
> basic exam when there are no symptoms. I'm thinking maybe I should
> buy a thermometer and stethoscope and just do my basic exam myself.

I take my cats in for an annual exam. You should always be proactive and
watch for any problems, of course, but I would not want to rely exclusively
on my own knowledge. I am not trained in veterinary medicine, and I want a
professional to look for any early signs of problems, in much the same way
as I go in for an annual physical for myself. That becomes increasingly
important as a cat ages, but even very young cats can develop physical
problems -- and it's always better to catch problems early rather than too
late.

MaryL

Rene S.
June 11th 08, 02:37 PM
> I take my cats in for an annual exam. *You should always be proactive and
> watch for any problems, of course, but I would not want to rely exclusively
> on my own knowledge. *I am not trained in veterinary medicine, and I want a
> professional to look for any early signs of problems, in much the same way
> as I go in for an annual physical for myself. *That becomes increasingly
> important as a cat ages, but even very young cats can develop physical
> problems -- and it's always better to catch problems early rather than too
> late.

I agree with MaryL. I also bring my cats in. In addition to having a
professional looking at my cats, it's also a chance for me to ask
questions about my cats' behavior and/or health.

However, it's also a good idea to "examine" your cats at home, feeling
their bodies for any lumps or other abnormalities.

Rene

Phil P.
June 11th 08, 09:30 PM
"James" > wrote in message
> My pussy just visited the vet for a basic exam without blood test.
> She had her temperature taken, heart & lungs listened to, visual exam
> of coat & skin, eyes, ears, nose, throat, & lymph glands, mouth,
> teeth, & gums, and other parts exam by touch. She was given excellent
> current condition.
>
> She was fixed 2 years ago and I guess got a quick look over last year
> during her rabies shot.
>
> Do you do your own exam or do you take them to the vet just for a
> basic exam when there are no symptoms. I'm thinking maybe I should
> buy a thermometer and stethoscope and just do my basic exam myself.

Visit my site: http://www.maxshouse.com/PreventativeHealth.htm Scroll down
to "The Mini-Physical Exam". I show you how to give a cat a home "mini
exam" *between* annual vet exams- *not* in place of a veterinarian's exam.

Remember, one year for an adult cat is equivalent to about 4 human years. A
lot of diseases and other problems that can creep up in that time between
annual vet visits will have a better prognosis if they're detected and
treated early.

Phil

barb
June 11th 08, 09:38 PM
Going to the vet once a year gives you a working relationship with the vet
and someone you can call up and ask questions of rather than rely on a news
group when you need medical advice.

Barb

Cathy F.[_2_]
June 15th 08, 08:17 PM
"James" > wrote in message
> My pussy just visited the vet for a basic exam without blood test.
> She had her temperature taken, heart & lungs listened to, visual exam
> of coat & skin, eyes, ears, nose, throat, & lymph glands, mouth,
> teeth, & gums, and other parts exam by touch. She was given excellent
> current condition.
>
> She was fixed 2 years ago and I guess got a quick look over last year
> during her rabies shot.
>
> Do you do your own exam or do you take them to the vet just for a
> basic exam when there are no symptoms. I'm thinking maybe I should
> buy a thermometer and stethoscope and just do my basic exam myself.

Office visit. Over the years I've learned that the vet is on the look-out
for things which you probably didn't even notice her/him looking out for.
They also feel internal organs, are alert to odors (smell the cat's bereath,
for ex.), would be cognizant of little nuances of the heartbeat which
non-medical people wouldn't be, etc., etc.

Cathy

Candace
June 17th 08, 06:31 AM
On Jun 15, 12:17*pm, "Cathy F." >
wrote:

> Office visit. Over the years I've learned that the vet is on the look-out
> for things which you probably didn't even notice her/him looking out for.
> They also feel internal organs, are alert to odors (smell the cat's bereath,
> for ex.), would be cognizant of little nuances of the heartbeat which
> non-medical people wouldn't be, etc., etc.
>
> Cathy

Hi, Cathy! Long time.

Candace

Cathy F.[_2_]
June 17th 08, 09:13 PM
"Candace" > wrote in message
On Jun 15, 12:17 pm, "Cathy F." >
wrote:

> Office visit. Over the years I've learned that the vet is on the look-out
> for things which you probably didn't even notice her/him looking out for.
> They also feel internal organs, are alert to odors (smell the cat's
> bereath,
> for ex.), would be cognizant of little nuances of the heartbeat which
> non-medical people wouldn't be, etc., etc.
>
> Cathy

Hi, Cathy! Long time.

Hi, Candace - nice to 'see' you! :-)

Yep, long time; I breeze back in here every once in a huge while, then tend
to breeze back out... ;-)

Cahty