PDA

View Full Version : Male cat getty frisky?

MsBuscandy
June 16th 08, 04:11 AM
I have a neutered male Himalayan about 11 years old. I adopted him a couple
of years ago and he is a sweetheart of a cat! Never complains, never acts
out. Recently he has been trying to spray- I think..I took him to the vet
and she said he had the start of a bladder infection (UTI) and gave me meds
to administer 2 x a day for 2 weeks. Well I can't keep up with that. But he
seems to be "humping" the couch, or the couch pillow- he has never done this
before-he seems to have no trouble passing urine and other than this
behaviour (5-6 x a day)he seems fine. Should I go back to the vet ( can't
afford to go if not necc) or is it just a weird male cat thing?
Why would he start doing this after all this time?

Cathy F.[_2_]
June 16th 08, 04:19 AM
"MsBuscandy" > wrote in message
>I have a neutered male Himalayan about 11 years old. I adopted him a
>couple of years ago and he is a sweetheart of a cat! Never complains, never
>acts out. Recently he has been trying to spray- I think..I took him to the
>vet and she said he had the start of a bladder infection (UTI) and gave me
>meds to administer 2 x a day for 2 weeks. Well I can't keep up with that.

You can't keep up with that? If he has a UTI, he needs the med!

Cathy

But he
> seems to be "humping" the couch, or the couch pillow- he has never done
> this before-he seems to have no trouble passing urine and other than this
> behaviour (5-6 x a day)he seems fine. Should I go back to the vet ( can't
> afford to go if not necc) or is it just a weird male cat thing?
> Why would he start doing this after all this time?

dejablues[_4_]
June 16th 08, 05:19 AM
"MsBuscandy" > wrote in message
>I have a neutered male Himalayan about 11 years old. I adopted him a
>couple of years ago and he is a sweetheart of a cat! Never complains, never
>acts out. Recently he has been trying to spray- I think..I took him to the
>vet and she said he had the start of a bladder infection (UTI) and gave me
>meds to administer 2 x a day for 2 weeks. Well I can't keep up with that.
>But he seems to be "humping" the couch, or the couch pillow- he has never
>done this before-he seems to have no trouble passing urine and other than
>this behaviour (5-6 x a day)he seems fine. Should I go back to the vet (
>can't afford to go if not necc) or is it just a weird male cat thing?
> Why would he start doing this after all this time?

Did the vet test his urine before prescribing the meds, to make sure it was
a UTI?
You absolutely need to give the meds as directed, "I can't keep up with
that" is bull****.
Is he really humping soft surfaces, or trying to urinate in a place that's
comfortable? Are you sure he is passing urine normally? Does he have any
other symptoms, like crying in pain, hiding, not eating?

cybercat
June 16th 08, 05:32 AM
"MsBuscandy" > wrote in message
>I have a neutered male Himalayan about 11 years old. I adopted him a
>couple of years ago and he is a sweetheart of a cat! Never complains, never
>acts out. Recently he has been trying to spray- I think..I took him to the
>vet and she said he had the start of a bladder infection (UTI) and gave me
>meds to administer 2 x a day for 2 weeks. Well I can't keep up with that.

WTF?

Take him to a shelter, where someone can be bothered. Asshole. Do you
know that he can die from that infection?

dejablues[_4_]
June 16th 08, 05:43 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message
. com...

> "MsBuscandy" > wrote in message
>>I have a neutered male Himalayan about 11 years old. I adopted him a
>>couple of years ago and he is a sweetheart of a cat! Never complains,
>>never acts out. Recently he has been trying to spray- I think..I took him
>>to the vet and she said he had the start of a bladder infection (UTI) and
>>gave me meds to administer 2 x a day for 2 weeks. Well I can't keep up
>>with that.
>
> WTF?
>
> Take him to a shelter, where someone can be bothered. Asshole. Do you
> know that he can die from that infection?

A situation like this can get very serious, very fast. Oh, and did I
mention, very expensive?
What started out as UTI symptoms in our 3-yr-old male cat resulted in PU
surgery. $2100.00 and a whole lot of worrying later, he's on the mend.

Rene S.
June 16th 08, 03:39 PM
If you had to take medication twice per day, would that be too much to
keep up with? I'm sorry, but he needs the prescribed dosage for the
recommended time period. If you did not follow through with this, he
probably still has the UTI. This is not only painful for him but can
lead to much more expense for you if you don't take care of it now.

Riannon via CatKB.com
June 16th 08, 08:05 PM
MsBuscandy wrote:
>I have a neutered male Himalayan about 11 years old. I adopted him a couple
>of years ago and he is a sweetheart of a cat! Never complains, never acts
>out. Recently he has been trying to spray- I think..I took him to the vet
>and she said he had the start of a bladder infection (UTI) and gave me meds
>to administer 2 x a day for 2 weeks. Well I can't keep up with that. But he
>seems to be "humping" the couch, or the couch pillow- he has never done this
>before-he seems to have no trouble passing urine and other than this
>behaviour (5-6 x a day)he seems fine. Should I go back to the vet ( can't
>afford to go if not necc) or is it just a weird male cat thing?

You can't keep up with giving him a pill two times a day for two weeks? Why?
What's the problem? Do you know that if you don't and he has struvite
crystals that he could end up blocking up completely and then you will have a
much worse problem on your hands. If he blocks up he can die within 24-48
hours. Even if he doesn't, did you know he could be in pain right now? Have
you ever had a bladder infection? He could be "humping" the couch as you
describe it because of the pain and is trying to relieve it. Also, you may
have to change his diet as this could have been brought on by what he's
eating. Looks like you need to become better informed about all of this - if
you care about him, you will give him his meds and look into how you can help
him more.

Riannon

Cathy F.[_2_]
June 16th 08, 09:26 PM
"MsBuscandy" > wrote in message
>I have a neutered male Himalayan about 11 years old. I adopted him a
>couple of years ago and he is a sweetheart of a cat! Never complains, never
>acts out. Recently he has been trying to spray- I think..I took him to the
>vet and she said he had the start of a bladder infection (UTI) and gave me
>meds to administer 2 x a day for 2 weeks. Well I can't keep up with that.
>But he seems to be "humping" the couch, or the couch pillow- he has never
>done this before-he seems to have no trouble passing urine and other than
>this behaviour (5-6 x a day)he seems fine. Should I go back to the vet (
>can't afford to go if not necc) or is it just a weird male cat thing?
> Why would he start doing this after all this time?

BTW - if he does have a UTI, he is probably looking for a soft surface on
which to pee - explaining the seemingly 'out of the blue' behavior. My male
cat had a UTI several years ago - he was peeing on soft surfaces: the
laundry, the cushion in the cat bed... no other symptoms - he didn't cry out
while doing it, didn't seem lethargic, just inapprpropriate peeing. It
took 2 courses of antibiotics - had to go to a stronger one for the second
course - to rid him of the infection.

If you've ever had a full-fledged UTI, you know it is really painful when
peeing (the inside walls of the urethra are abraded & so it burns like
crazy) - he's probably just trying to alleviate the associated pain by
seeking out soft surfaces.

Cathy

zob
June 17th 08, 08:02 AM
On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 03:11:35 GMT, "MsBuscandy" >
wrote:

>I have a neutered male Himalayan about 11 years old. I adopted him a couple
>of years ago and he is a sweetheart of a cat! Never complains, never acts
>out. Recently he has been trying to spray- I think..I took him to the vet
>and she said he had the start of a bladder infection (UTI) and gave me meds
>to administer 2 x a day for 2 weeks. Well I can't keep up with that. But he
>seems to be "humping" the couch, or the couch pillow- he has never done this
>before-he seems to have no trouble passing urine and other than this
>behaviour (5-6 x a day)he seems fine. Should I go back to the vet ( can't
>afford to go if not necc) or is it just a weird male cat thing?
>Why would he start doing this after all this time?

I went through the same behavior when I turned 50 -- he's just
"middle age crazy!" :-D

cybercat
June 17th 08, 08:25 AM
"zob" <[email protected] cox.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 16 Jun 2008 03:11:35 GMT, "MsBuscandy" >
> wrote:
>
>>I have a neutered male Himalayan about 11 years old. I adopted him a
>>couple
>>of years ago and he is a sweetheart of a cat! Never complains, never acts
>>out. Recently he has been trying to spray- I think..I took him to the vet
>>and she said he had the start of a bladder infection (UTI) and gave me
>>meds
>>to administer 2 x a day for 2 weeks. Well I can't keep up with that. But
>>he
>>seems to be "humping" the couch, or the couch pillow- he has never done
>>this
>>before-he seems to have no trouble passing urine and other than this
>>behaviour (5-6 x a day)he seems fine. Should I go back to the vet ( can't
>>afford to go if not necc) or is it just a weird male cat thing?
>>Why would he start doing this after all this time?
>>

> I went through the same behavior when I turned 50 -- he's just
> "middle age crazy!" :-D

hahaha! What are you doing tomorrow night? :)

MsBuscandy
June 19th 08, 12:11 AM
Thanks all of you for the responses. Let me make it clear I am not an
irresponsible owner- not at all- I have been giving him the meds- it is
medicine in a dropper and it isn't easy to catch him and he thinks I am
trying to torture him. I am only saying that I now and them miss a dosage
for one reason or another- I have problems taking all of my own doses as
well. I am aware of the pain of a UTI so I did take him to the vet right
away and I am very aware of the problems a male cat can have with "crystals"
etc.
I am a good pet owner- I just thought it was odd behavior- I have a litter
box right here in the living room ( he and I discussed this- he told me the
other two cats will lie in wait for him and attack him when he goes to use
the other box) So I bought new boxes, put one closer to him and I can
observe him going in the box- he doesn't seem to be straining or in any
pain, he isn't peeing anywhere he isn't supposed to- I am just wondering if
this new behavior can be attributed to something else- say some stress..
someone moving out of the household- or the of the boyfriend of my 16 year
old girl. This is a household of women and suddenly there is testosterone
everywhere- ! Just wondering why this behavior seems more sexual than it
does "not well." His behavior is in all other aspects the same..
Believe me I am a cat lover and am dedicated to Mien Sing; "Fluffy" who is
17 and Maddy who is about 4. I am the kind person who would take in a
million cats but I am sane enough at this point to know I can't do that! (
My mother's neighbor had 72 cats in her 3 bedroom home!!)
I will ignore the comments that some of you made- I know you didn't have all
the facts.. and thank you for your comments and suggestions.I'll take him
back into the vet and let you all know how he is doing.

Cathy F.[_2_]
June 19th 08, 03:54 AM
"MsBuscandy" > wrote in message
> Thanks all of you for the responses. Let me make it clear I am not an
> irresponsible owner- not at all- I have been giving him the meds- it is
> medicine in a dropper and it isn't easy to catch him and he thinks I am
> trying to torture him. I am only saying that I now and them miss a dosage
> for one reason or another- I have problems taking all of my own doses as
> well. I am aware of the pain of a UTI so I did take him to the vet right
> away and I am very aware of the problems a male cat can have with
> "crystals" etc.

Glad to read the clarification of your post.

There are some *really* clueless people out there, so a read-through of your
first post suggested other than reality.

Cathy

> I am a good pet owner- I just thought it was odd behavior- I have a litter
> box right here in the living room ( he and I discussed this- he told me
> the other two cats will lie in wait for him and attack him when he goes to
> use the other box) So I bought new boxes, put one closer to him and I can
> observe him going in the box- he doesn't seem to be straining or in any
> pain, he isn't peeing anywhere he isn't supposed to- I am just wondering
> if this new behavior can be attributed to something else- say some
> stress.. someone moving out of the household- or the of the boyfriend of
> my 16 year old girl. This is a household of women and suddenly there is
> testosterone everywhere- ! Just wondering why this behavior seems more
> sexual than it does "not well." His behavior is in all other aspects the
> same..
> Believe me I am a cat lover and am dedicated to Mien Sing; "Fluffy" who is
> 17 and Maddy who is about 4. I am the kind person who would take in a
> million cats but I am sane enough at this point to know I can't do that!
> ( My mother's neighbor had 72 cats in her 3 bedroom home!!)
> I will ignore the comments that some of you made- I know you didn't have
> all the facts.. and thank you for your comments and suggestions.I'll take
> him back into the vet and let you all know how he is doing.

MsBuscandy
June 22nd 08, 07:48 PM
Update: Mien Sing has an appointment with the vet again on Monday at 2:20
PDT. He said Thanks to all of you!