PDA

View Full Version : Thug died today

Calvin
June 16th 08, 04:17 PM
A stray cat that I adopted five years ago died sometime
before first light this morning. He got sick suddenly. I first
noticed him not eating Friday, and during the weekend he
became less and less active, just wanting to lie in one place
for hours. I was going to call the vet this morning, Monday,
but Sunday evening I found him lying still and breathing hard,
and spent a few hours comforting him. It seemed to help
because his breathing got better. But eventually he just
wanted to lie by himself. He was on the bed when I went to
bed, but he went out during the night, and this morning I found
him under a bush.

The outside that I'm talking about is a very big fenced-in
area around the back yard where he had been living with
five other cats. None of the others have shown signs of
being sick, but of course I'm worried.

Thug may have been seven years old or older. He was a
fully grown tomcat when I adopted him, had him neutered,
etc, five years ago. If cats love people, he may have loved
me more than any of the others. He seemed to be very
grateful when I took him in, and he often would call from the
backyard for me to come downstairs, or at least talk to him
from the window.

free.teranews.com
June 16th 08, 06:30 PM
"calvin" > wrote in

>If cats love people, he may have loved
> me more than any of the others. He seemed to be very
> grateful when I took him in, and he often would call from the
> backyard for me to come downstairs, or at least talk to him
> from the window.

I'm so sorry you had to lose him so young.

Calvin
June 16th 08, 07:56 PM
On Jun 16, 1:31*pm, "cindys" > wrote:
> I'm so sorry for your loss. Thug was very fortunate to have had you
> (and you him).
> Best regards,
> ---Cindy S.

Thanks. Except for accidents or mischief, I've never expected
a cat to go from appearing normal to dying in such a short time,
only three days.

cshenk
June 17th 08, 10:07 PM
"calvin" wrote

>A stray cat that I adopted five years ago died sometime
> before first light this morning. He got sick suddenly. I first

Bless you for being there for all the time you were. He'd not have been a
happy healthy fellow without your love and care.

blkcatgal
June 18th 08, 04:55 AM
I am sorry to hear about Thug. You have my condolences.

S.
---
"calvin" > wrote in message
>A stray cat that I adopted five years ago died sometime
> before first light this morning. He got sick suddenly. I first
> noticed him not eating Friday, and during the weekend he
> became less and less active, just wanting to lie in one place
> for hours. I was going to call the vet this morning, Monday,
> but Sunday evening I found him lying still and breathing hard,
> and spent a few hours comforting him. It seemed to help
> because his breathing got better. But eventually he just
> wanted to lie by himself. He was on the bed when I went to
> bed, but he went out during the night, and this morning I found
> him under a bush.
>
> The outside that I'm talking about is a very big fenced-in
> area around the back yard where he had been living with
> five other cats. None of the others have shown signs of
> being sick, but of course I'm worried.
>
> Thug may have been seven years old or older. He was a
> fully grown tomcat when I adopted him, had him neutered,
> etc, five years ago. If cats love people, he may have loved
> me more than any of the others. He seemed to be very
> grateful when I took him in, and he often would call from the
> backyard for me to come downstairs, or at least talk to him
> from the window.

Calvin
June 18th 08, 05:23 AM
On Jun 17, 11:55*pm, "blkcatgal" > wrote:
> I am sorry to hear about Thug. *You have my condolences.
> S.
> --
> **Visit me and my cats athttp://www.island-cats.com/**

Thanks, and thanks for the pictures. The long haired cat
in the window looks just like one of mine, Piglet.

http://www.geocities.com/ricewww/crcats.html

-Lost
June 20th 08, 09:13 AM
Response to calvin >:

> http://www.geocities.com/ricewww/crcats.html

Terribly sorry for your loss.

Do you mind terribly explaining to me what that cat-proof fence is
composed of?

Is it some kind of rolled sheet metal?

Thanks!

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

dgk
June 20th 08, 01:13 PM
On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 03:13:58 -0500, "-Lost"
> wrote:

>Response to calvin >:
>
>> http://www.geocities.com/ricewww/crcats.html
>
>Terribly sorry for your loss.
>
>Do you mind terribly explaining to me what that cat-proof fence is
>composed of?
>
>Is it some kind of rolled sheet metal?
>
>Thanks!

That is a different looking fence. It is likely not only cat proof but
also varmint proof. I put one up that is basically chicken wire but
curves in at the top preventing the cats from climbing over. It works
fine, but it doesn't keep other critters from getting in, and they
usually can't get out. Only once did another cat end up trapped but
that was a bit of a mess.

I sometimes end up with a possum. They can't get out too easily
apparently. Raccoons treat the fence with contempt and are smart
enough to use the evergreens to get over. Only one cat figured that
out but didn't do it after the first time. She came from out there and
doesn't seem to have any interest in going back to the roaming
lifestyle.

Calvin
June 20th 08, 02:15 PM
On Jun 20, 4:13*am, "-Lost" > wrote:
> Response to calvin >:
> > http://www.geocities.com/ricewww/crcats.html
> Terribly sorry for your loss.
>
> Do you mind terribly explaining to me what that cat-proof fence is
> composed of?
>
> Is it some kind of rolled sheet metal?

Yes, bought at Lowes in 50 ft rolls, 2 ft wide. You can
get different thicknesses.

I attached them by punching holes and using the
same little soft-metal ties that are used to attach the
chain link to the posts, using half of a tie at each
attach point.

Calvin
June 20th 08, 02:30 PM
On Jun 20, 8:13*am, dgk > wrote:
> That is a different looking fence. It is likely not only cat proof but
> also varmint proof. I put one up that is basically chicken wire but
> curves in at the top preventing the cats from climbing over. It works
> fine, but it doesn't keep other critters from getting in, and they
> usually can't get out. Only once did another cat end up trapped but
> that was a bit of a mess.

Cats can easily climb in from the other side of my fence,
and an intruding tomcat comes in regularly. He gets out
by a way that the other cats haven't tried. At the gate, the
sheet metal can't be attached so efficiently, and I have it
attached to the top of the gate. (The fence goes up to each
side of the house, but I still have a car gate for emergency
use.) He manages to perch on top of the sheet metal,
which is buckled, and then drop down to the other side.
I haven't fixed it because I don't want to trap him inside.

> I sometimes end up with a possum. They can't get out too easily
> apparently. Raccoons treat the fence with contempt and are smart
> enough to use the evergreens to get over. Only one cat figured that
> out but didn't do it after the first time. She came from out there and
> doesn't seem to have any interest in going back to the roaming
> lifestyle.

I've had possums too, but there's no problem for them
getting out because they (at least the smaller ones) can
climb up the brick wall of the house.

My biggest problem has been with the bottom of the fence.
It's not as easy as I expected to keep it secured to the
ground. Every few months a cat manages to get under it,
and I have to work on the weak spot.

-Lost
June 22nd 08, 05:39 AM
Response to calvin >:

>> Do you mind terribly explaining to me what that cat-proof fence is
>> composed of?
>>
>> Is it some kind of rolled sheet metal?
>
> Yes, bought at Lowes in 50 ft rolls, 2 ft wide. You can
> get different thicknesses.
>
> I attached them by punching holes and using the
> same little soft-metal ties that are used to attach the
> chain link to the posts, using half of a tie at each
> attach point.

Thanks!

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

dgk
June 23rd 08, 03:57 PM
On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 23:39:58 -0500, "-Lost"
> wrote:

>Response to calvin >:
>
>>> Do you mind terribly explaining to me what that cat-proof fence is
>>> composed of?
>>>
>>> Is it some kind of rolled sheet metal?
>>
>> Yes, bought at Lowes in 50 ft rolls, 2 ft wide. You can
>> get different thicknesses.
>>
>> I attached them by punching holes and using the
>> same little soft-metal ties that are used to attach the
>> chain link to the posts, using half of a tie at each
>> attach point.
>
>Thanks!

They sell stuff designed to keep cats in - look at catfencein.com. I
don't endorse or oppose it, I simply point it out.

dgk
June 23rd 08, 04:01 PM
On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 06:30:30 -0700 (PDT), calvin
> wrote:

>On Jun 20, 8:13*am, dgk > wrote:
>> That is a different looking fence. It is likely not only cat proof but
>> also varmint proof. I put one up that is basically chicken wire but
>> curves in at the top preventing the cats from climbing over. It works
>> fine, but it doesn't keep other critters from getting in, and they
>> usually can't get out. Only once did another cat end up trapped but
>> that was a bit of a mess.
>
>Cats can easily climb in from the other side of my fence,
>and an intruding tomcat comes in regularly. He gets out
>by a way that the other cats haven't tried. At the gate, the
>sheet metal can't be attached so efficiently, and I have it
>attached to the top of the gate. (The fence goes up to each
>side of the house, but I still have a car gate for emergency
>use.) He manages to perch on top of the sheet metal,
>which is buckled, and then drop down to the other side.
>I haven't fixed it because I don't want to trap him inside.
>
>> I sometimes end up with a possum. They can't get out too easily
>> apparently. Raccoons treat the fence with contempt and are smart
>> enough to use the evergreens to get over. Only one cat figured that
>> out but didn't do it after the first time. She came from out there and
>> doesn't seem to have any interest in going back to the roaming
>> lifestyle.
>
>I've had possums too, but there's no problem for them
>getting out because they (at least the smaller ones) can
>climb up the brick wall of the house.
>
>My biggest problem has been with the bottom of the fence.
>It's not as easy as I expected to keep it secured to the
>ground. Every few months a cat manages to get under it,
>and I have to work on the weak spot.

I've never seen a possum climb a brick wall! I guess it depends on the
actual wall. Mine is pretty flat. They do have those opposable thumbs
on all four hands, which must make climbing pretty easy.

My cats seem happy with the limits. One would clearly like to stray
further but not enough to figure out how to do it.

I bought something called loc8tor. I put a tag on each of their
collars and can track them pretty well. Since they very rarely get
out, it's mostly so that I don't need to actually find them hidden in
some bush. As long as the thing tells me that they're in the area,
that's good enough.

-Lost
June 24th 08, 03:46 AM
Response to dgk >:

> They sell stuff designed to keep cats in - look at catfencein.com. I
> don't endorse or oppose it, I simply point it out.

This looked like a decent alternative, but what sent me
laughing/running was this:

http://www.catfencein.com/amazing.php

The amazing story is that some BONEHEAD said, "man, if'n I wuz smarter
den mah poor ole' kitty wood'n had them thar toothification problambs."

PFFFT!

The teller of that story is an idiot and so are the owners of
"catfencein.com" to put it up as proof that their product works.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.