PDA

View Full Version : Board certified Surgeon or not

June 17th 08, 03:35 AM
Hi All,

My cat is having some sort of obstruction (presumably a some sort of
foreign body) in her stomach and vet is having tough time flush it
out. She just had iv today since she has been vomiting every so often
and she has not been eating or drinking for a few days.

Now, the option we have a to continue with flushing out for a day or
surgically remove the obstruction tomorrow. Regarding the surgical
option, this vet offered to do the surgery but he told me that he was
not board certified. He told me that he had done the procedures
numerous times and he appears to confident and capable. Should I
trust this vet or should I look for the board certified surgeons ?

I'd appreciate any comments.

Thanks in advance.

Phil P.
June 18th 08, 06:43 PM
> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> My cat is having some sort of obstruction (presumably a some sort of
> foreign body) in her stomach and vet is having tough time flush it
> out. She just had iv today since she has been vomiting every so often
> and she has not been eating or drinking for a few days.
>
> Now, the option we have a to continue with flushing out for a day or
> surgically remove the obstruction tomorrow. Regarding the surgical
> option, this vet offered to do the surgery but he told me that he was
> not board certified. He told me that he had done the procedures
> numerous times and he appears to confident and capable. Should I
> trust this vet or should I look for the board certified surgeons ?
>
> I'd appreciate any comments.

Many vets are excellent surgeons even though they're not certified by the
ACVS (American
College of Veterinary Surgeons). If your vet performed this type of surgery
successfully many times, I see no reason not to let him do it.

Phil