PDA

View Full Version : Does my cat have cancer?

Steve Chen
June 17th 08, 07:36 PM
My cat has something inside his rear thigh. Does not seem to be painful when
I feel it.

What tests can a vet do to find out if he has cancer?
Are the tests reliable?

He has no energy and is not eating well.

If he does have cancer what can a vet do to make him more comfortable?

cybercat
June 17th 08, 08:02 PM
"Steve Chen" > wrote in message
> My cat has something inside his rear thigh. Does not seem to be painful
> when I feel it.

It's probably a cyst. Get your cat to the vet. You know what to do, Jesus.

Rene S.
June 17th 08, 08:34 PM
On Jun 17, 1:36*pm, "Steve Chen" > wrote:
> My cat has something inside his rear thigh. Does not seem to be painful when
> I feel it.
>
> What tests can a vet do to find out if he has cancer?
> Are the tests reliable?
>
> He has no energy and is not eating well.
>
> If he does have cancer what can a vet do to make him more comfortable?

Please take the first step and get him to a vet immediately. It could
be a number of things, including a cyst to a simple abcess. Lethargy
and lack of appetite means he is not feeling well. Don't wait in
bringing him in.

Cathy F.[_2_]
June 17th 08, 09:16 PM
"Steve Chen" > wrote in message
> My cat has something inside his rear thigh. Does not seem to be painful
> when I feel it.
>
> What tests can a vet do to find out if he has cancer?
> Are the tests reliable?

Biopsy - either surgical or if possible, needle. Yes, reliable.

> He has no energy and is not eating well.

Have you mnmade a vet appt? If not, ASAP!

> If he does have cancer what can a vet do to make him more comfortable?

Depending on the type of cancer & stage, could be surgically removed &/or
chemo may be used - cats tolerate chemotherapy a whole lot better than
humans do. Painkillers, if necessary.

Cathy

herman
June 17th 08, 11:12 PM
"Cathy F." > wrote in
:

> "Steve Chen" > wrote in message
>> My cat has something inside his rear thigh. Does not seem to be
>> painful when I feel it.
>>
>> What tests can a vet do to find out if he has cancer?
>> Are the tests reliable?
>
> Biopsy - either surgical or if possible, needle. Yes, reliable.

fine needle biopsies are often not reliable; then you're charged again
for a surgical biopsy.

>> He has no energy and is not eating well.
>
> Have you mnmade a vet appt? If not, ASAP!

assuming that the vet is competent and he knows how to diagnose things,
a BIG assumption.

>> If he does have cancer what can a vet do to make him more
>> comfortable?
>
> Depending on the type of cancer & stage, could be surgically removed
> &/or chemo may be used - cats tolerate chemotherapy a whole lot better
> than humans do. Painkillers, if necessary.

Prednisone-what most vets fall back on. But why put an animal through
all that, if he has cancer, chances are he's going to die soon anyways,
after your bank account is drained.

> Cathy

Dottie
June 17th 08, 11:23 PM
"Rene S." > wrote in
:

> On Jun 17, 1:36*pm, "Steve Chen" > wrote:
>> My cat has something inside his rear thigh. Does not seem to be
>> painful wh
> en
>> I feel it.
>>
>> What tests can a vet do to find out if he has cancer?
>> Are the tests reliable?
>>
>> He has no energy and is not eating well.
>>
>> If he does have cancer what can a vet do to make him more
>> comfortable?
>
> Please take the first step and get him to a vet immediately. It could
> be a number of things, including a cyst to a simple abcess. Lethargy
> and lack of appetite means he is not feeling well. Don't wait in
> bringing him in.

Whenever someone in this group has nothing to say, they always reply:
"take him to the vet,IMMEDIATELY". How lame; as if the average vet
actually knows.

Cathy F.[_2_]
June 17th 08, 11:27 PM
"herman" > wrote in message
> "Cathy F." > wrote in
> :
>

>> "Steve Chen" > wrote in message
>>> My cat has something inside his rear thigh. Does not seem to be
>>> painful when I feel it.
>>>
>>> What tests can a vet do to find out if he has cancer?
>>> Are the tests reliable?
>>
>> Biopsy - either surgical or if possible, needle. Yes, reliable.
>
> fine needle biopsies are often not reliable; then you're charged again
> for a surgical biopsy.
>

>>> He has no energy and is not eating well.
>>
>> Have you mnmade a vet appt? If not, ASAP!
>

> assuming that the vet is competent and he knows how to diagnose things,
> a BIG assumption.
>

>>> If he does have cancer what can a vet do to make him more
>>> comfortable?
>>
>> Depending on the type of cancer & stage, could be surgically removed
>> &/or chemo may be used - cats tolerate chemotherapy a whole lot better
>> than humans do. Painkillers, if necessary.
>

> Prednisone-what most vets fall back on. But why put an animal through
> all that, if he has cancer, chances are he's going to die soon anyways,
> after your bank account is drained.

I disagree, rather big-time. Besides the fact that, based on the contents
of your reply, the bottom line to you seems to be money, rather than trying
to save a cat's life or extend its lifetime with quality care.

Cathy

Cathy F.[_2_]
June 17th 08, 11:32 PM
"Dottie" > wrote in message
> "Rene S." > wrote in
> :
>
>> On Jun 17, 1:36 pm, "Steve Chen" > wrote:
>>> My cat has something inside his rear thigh. Does not seem to be
>>> painful wh
>> en
>>> I feel it.
>>>
>>> What tests can a vet do to find out if he has cancer?
>>> Are the tests reliable?
>>>
>>> He has no energy and is not eating well.
>>>
>>> If he does have cancer what can a vet do to make him more
>>> comfortable?
>>
>> Please take the first step and get him to a vet immediately. It could
>> be a number of things, including a cyst to a simple abcess. Lethargy
>> and lack of appetite means he is not feeling well. Don't wait in
>> bringing him in.
>

> Whenever someone in this group has nothing to say, they always reply:
> "take him to the vet,IMMEDIATELY". How lame; as if the average vet
> actually knows.

Huh? The "average vet' knows enough to suspect x, &, &/or z condition(s)
upon doing a physical, then to recommend doing the relevant testing &/or
referring the animal out to an oncologist for further testing &/or
treatment.

What *is* really lame/frustrating is when a pet is obviously ill, yet its
owner hasn't taken the obvious first step: making a vet appt.

Cathy

Cathy F.[_2_]
June 18th 08, 12:40 AM
"Matthew" > wrote in message

> "Cathy F." > wrote in message
>>
>> "herman" > wrote in message
>>> "Cathy F." > wrote in
>>> :

>>> fine needle biopsies are often not reliable; then you're charged again
>>> for a surgical biopsy.

>>> assuming that the vet is competent and he knows how to diagnose things,
>>> a BIG assumption.

>>> Prednisone-what most vets fall back on. But why put an animal through
>>> all that, if he has cancer, chances are he's going to die soon anyways,
>>> after your bank account is drained.
>>
>> I disagree, rather big-time. Besides the fact that, based on the
>> contents of your reply, the bottom line to you seems to be money, rather
>> than trying to save a cat's life or extend its lifetime with quality
>> care.
>>
>> Cathy
>

> It is a troll Cathy just some stupid kid out on summer break

I haven't been here in so long that I don't know who've become (new)
regulars since the last time. ;-)

Cathy

Phil P.
June 18th 08, 07:01 PM
"Steve Chen" > wrote in message
> My cat has something inside his rear thigh. Does not seem to be painful
when
> I feel it.

> What tests can a vet do to find out if he has cancer?
> Are the tests reliable?
>
> He has no energy and is not eating well.
>
> If he does have cancer what can a vet do to make him more comfortable?

Could be an enlarged inguinal or popliteal lymph node which could indicate
and infection somewhere and not cancer.

The best thing to do is bring your cat to a vet ASAP for an examination. If
he determines its a mass, he can send a tissue sample to a pathologist for
cytologic and/or histopathologic examination.

Whatever is, the sooner you get your cat into a vet the better. Early
diagnosis and treatment usually results in the best prognosis.

Best of luck,

Phil