PDA

View Full Version : newsgroups

rich
June 17th 08, 11:31 PM
Roadrunner plans to end usenet support entirely on 6/23.
This was quietly announced in RR Help. Other (e.g., Verizon)
ISPs have less draconian plans in the works.

There are many alternatives available, ranging in price from
US$15 down to free ... some not even requiring registration.

Several examples:

news.individual.net 10 EUR per year
motzarella.org free with registration
teranews.com one-time $3.95 setup fee
news.aioe.org free - no registration
news.astraweb.com 25GB for $10, 90GB for $25

.... and many others charging $10-15 per month.

I enjoy reading rec.pets.cats.health+behav; don't want to
lose touch.

Roby

jmc
June 18th 08, 04:38 AM
Suddenly, without warning, rich exclaimed (6/17/2008 4:31 PM):
> Roadrunner plans to end usenet support entirely on 6/23.
> This was quietly announced in RR Help. Other (e.g., Verizon) ISPs have
> less draconian plans in the works.
>
> There are many alternatives available, ranging in price from
> US$15 down to free ... some not even requiring registration.
>
> Several examples:
>
> news.individual.net 10 EUR per year
> motzarella.org free with registration
> teranews.com one-time $3.95 setup fee
> news.aioe.org free - no registration
> news.astraweb.com 25GB for $10, 90GB for $25
>
> ... and many others charging $10-15 per month.
>
> I enjoy reading rec.pets.cats.health+behav; don't want to
> lose touch.
>
> Roby

I use individual.net, have for about 3 years, and am quite happy with
them.

Other US ISPs will follow suit, btw. It's an overreaction to their
agreement to control pornography (or something) at the source. Instead
of just not carrying the 18 or so "problem" groups, they just kill 'em
all. Another provider, I forget who, will stop carrying just the alt.*
groups, which contains dangerous groups such as alt.humor :( (that was
sarcasm, for the humor impaired).

individual.net is in Germany, so I'd think (and hope) they care less
about the new US restrictions.

jmc

barb
June 18th 08, 01:53 PM
I tried using a different service this year when I was away for a month. I
could read this newsgroup but couldn't post to it. Don't remember which
one.

Barb

cybercat
June 18th 08, 02:19 PM
"rich" > wrote in message
> Roadrunner plans to end usenet support entirely on 6/23.
> This was quietly announced in RR Help. Other (e.g., Verizon) ISPs have
> less draconian plans in the works.
>
> There are many alternatives available, ranging in price from
> US$15 down to free ... some not even requiring registration.
>
> Several examples:
>
> news.individual.net 10 EUR per year
> motzarella.org free with registration
> teranews.com one-time $3.95 setup fee
> news.aioe.org free - no registration
> news.astraweb.com 25GB for $10, 90GB for $25
>
> ... and many others charging $10-15 per month.
>
> I enjoy reading rec.pets.cats.health+behav; don't want to
> lose touch.
>
> Roby

Pssst ... motzarella.org.

Is free. :)

cybercat
June 18th 08, 08:05 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "rich" > wrote in message
>> Roadrunner plans to end usenet support entirely on 6/23.
>> This was quietly announced in RR Help. Other (e.g., Verizon) ISPs have
>> less draconian plans in the works.
>>
>> There are many alternatives available, ranging in price from
>> US$15 down to free ... some not even requiring registration.
>>
>> Several examples:
>>
>> news.individual.net 10 EUR per year
>> motzarella.org free with registration
>> teranews.com one-time $3.95 setup fee
>> news.aioe.org free - no registration
>> news.astraweb.com 25GB for $10, 90GB for $25
>>
>> ... and many others charging $10-15 per month.
>>
>> I enjoy reading rec.pets.cats.health+behav; don't want to
>> lose touch.

Also ... the free version of Teranews really, really sucks now.
It used to be great, but now they appear to be more interested in
selling their pay servers, so they don't quite make sure the free
($3.95 one-time fee) server is running well.

Motzarella.org, on the other hand, works quite well.