PDA

View Full Version : Uh oh! I think I'm in love again!

Phil P.
June 19th 08, 01:37 PM
Feast your eyes on this Sweetheart! She was surrendered about a month an a
half ago because her owners suddenly became "allergic". I'm actually afraid
to adopt her to anyone. I make it a point to spend a few minutes with her
every day. She's about three years old and an absolute sweetheart. She
sulks all day and only comes to life when she sees me. Yeah, I know- there's
no accounting for taste...

http://maxshouse.com/My_Cats/Christie_03.jpg

http://maxshouse.com/My_Cats/Christie.jpg

http://maxshouse.com/My_Cats/Christie_02.jpg

CatNipped[_2_]
June 19th 08, 02:13 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Feast your eyes on this Sweetheart! She was surrendered about a month an a
> half ago because her owners suddenly became "allergic". I'm actually
> afraid
> to adopt her to anyone. I make it a point to spend a few minutes with her
> every day. She's about three years old and an absolute sweetheart. She
> sulks all day and only comes to life when she sees me. Yeah, I know-
> there's
> no accounting for taste...
>

> http://maxshouse.com/My_Cats/Christie_03.jpg
>
> http://maxshouse.com/My_Cats/Christie.jpg
>
> http://maxshouse.com/My_Cats/Christie_02.jpg

Oh. My. Gawd. What a cutie that is!!!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Spot[_2_]
June 19th 08, 02:55 PM
I think you have your answer, she only comes to life when she sees you.
Obviously she's chosen you to take her home..........LOL I love the bit of
orange on the bottom of her face.

Enjoy.

Celeste

"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Feast your eyes on this Sweetheart! She was surrendered about a month an a
> half ago because her owners suddenly became "allergic". I'm actually
> afraid
> to adopt her to anyone. I make it a point to spend a few minutes with her
> every day. She's about three years old and an absolute sweetheart. She
> sulks all day and only comes to life when she sees me. Yeah, I know-
> there's
> no accounting for taste...
>

> http://maxshouse.com/My_Cats/Christie_03.jpg
>
> http://maxshouse.com/My_Cats/Christie.jpg
>
> http://maxshouse.com/My_Cats/Christie_02.jpg

geekgrrl
June 19th 08, 03:29 PM
On Jun 19, 9:55*am, "Spot" > wrote:
> I think you have your answer, she only comes to life when she sees you.
> Obviously she's chosen you to take her home..........LOL *I love the bit of
> orange on the bottom of her face.
>
> Enjoy.
>
> Celeste
>
> "Phil P." > wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]
>

> > Feast your eyes on this Sweetheart! She was surrendered about a month an a
> > half ago because her owners suddenly became "allergic". *I'm actually
> > afraid
> > to adopt her to anyone. I make it a point to spend a few minutes with her
> > every day. She's about three years old and an absolute sweetheart. * She
> > sulks all day and only comes to life when she sees me. Yeah, I know-
> > there's
> > no accounting for taste...
>
> >http://maxshouse.com/My_Cats/Christie_03.jpg
>
> >http://maxshouse.com/My_Cats/Christie.jpg
>
> >http://maxshouse.com/My_Cats/Christie_02.jpg- Hide quoted text -

She is an absolute sweetheart... who could resist that face!
I agree wth Spot - you've been chosen to be her human.

Phil P.
June 19th 08, 06:43 PM
"Spot" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I think you have your answer, she only comes to life when she sees you.
> Obviously she's chosen you to take her home..........LOL I love the bit
of
> orange on the bottom of her face.

When she first came in she was very frightened and wouldn't get out of her
litter box. I had to put an extra box in her cage so she would go if she had
to. She was so confused- her whole world had been turned upside down. These
people who give up their cats for stupid or petty reasons don't realize- or
seem to care- how it affects them. Some cats never get over it- especially
if they're older.

http://maxshouse.com/My_Cats/Christie_04_20-08.jpg

Here she is after a few weeks of TLC

http://maxshouse.com/My_Cats/Christie_06-07-08b.jpg

Phil

> Enjoy.
>
> Celeste
>
> "Phil P." > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> >
> > Feast your eyes on this Sweetheart! She was surrendered about a month an
> > half ago because her owners suddenly became "allergic". I'm actually
> > afraid
> > to adopt her to anyone. I make it a point to spend a few minutes with
her
> > every day. She's about three years old and an absolute sweetheart. She
> > sulks all day and only comes to life when she sees me. Yeah, I know-
> > there's
> > no accounting for taste...
> >

> > http://maxshouse.com/My_Cats/Christie_03.jpg
> >
> > http://maxshouse.com/My_Cats/Christie.jpg
> >
> > http://maxshouse.com/My_Cats/Christie_02.jpg

cybercat
June 19th 08, 06:58 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Feast your eyes on this Sweetheart! She was surrendered about a month an a
> half ago because her owners suddenly became "allergic". I'm actually
> afraid
> to adopt her to anyone. I make it a point to spend a few minutes with her
> every day. She's about three years old and an absolute sweetheart. She
> sulks all day and only comes to life when she sees me. Yeah, I know-
> there's
> no accounting for taste...
>

> http://maxshouse.com/My_Cats/Christie_03.jpg

OMG, Phil! You have to keep her. What a face! Possibly the most
beautiful brown tabby I have ever seen.

cybercat
June 19th 08, 07:02 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Spot" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> I think you have your answer, she only comes to life when she sees you.
>> Obviously she's chosen you to take her home..........LOL I love the bit
> of
>> orange on the bottom of her face.
>
> When she first came in she was very frightened and wouldn't get out of her
> litter box. I had to put an extra box in her cage so she would go if she
> had
> to. She was so confused- her whole world had been turned upside down.
> These
> people who give up their cats for stupid or petty reasons don't realize-
> or
> seem to care- how it affects them. Some cats never get over it-
> especially
> if they're older.
>
> http://maxshouse.com/My_Cats/Christie_04_20-08.jpg
>

> Here she is after a few weeks of TLC
>
> http://maxshouse.com/My_Cats/Christie_06-07-08b.jpg
>
> Oh Phil, you cannot let her go. The love on her face in the second shot
> here and all the other shots is unmistakeable. What incredible pieces of
> **** people can be, letting go of a cat like this.

Phil P.
June 19th 08, 07:34 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Phil P." > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> >
> > Feast your eyes on this Sweetheart! She was surrendered about a month an
> > half ago because her owners suddenly became "allergic". I'm actually
> > afraid
> > to adopt her to anyone. I make it a point to spend a few minutes with
her
> > every day. She's about three years old and an absolute sweetheart. She
> > sulks all day and only comes to life when she sees me. Yeah, I know-
> > there's
> > no accounting for taste...
> >

> > http://maxshouse.com/My_Cats/Christie_03.jpg
> >

> OMG, Phil! You have to keep her. What a face! Possibly the most
> beautiful brown tabby I have ever seen.

I don't know about that__ I think its a photo-finish for 1st place with my
other brown tabby, Chatter

http://maxshouse.com/My_Cats/Chatter_05-11-08c.jpg

Oops! I said "other" brown tabby!

cybercat
June 19th 08, 07:50 PM
"Phil P." > wrote :

> I don't know about that__ I think its a photo-finish for 1st place with my
> other brown tabby, Chatter
>
> http://maxshouse.com/My_Cats/Chatter_05-11-08c.jpg
>
> Oops! I said "other" brown tabby!

Wowww. What a face. You can tell by their expressions how well
you care for them. Will you keep Christy, Phil?

Phil P.
June 19th 08, 07:54 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Phil P." > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> >
> > "Spot" > wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]
> >> I think you have your answer, she only comes to life when she sees you.
> >> Obviously she's chosen you to take her home..........LOL I love the
bit
> > of
> >> orange on the bottom of her face.
> >
> > When she first came in she was very frightened and wouldn't get out of
her
> > litter box. I had to put an extra box in her cage so she would go if she
> > had
> > to. She was so confused- her whole world had been turned upside down.
> > These
> > people who give up their cats for stupid or petty reasons don't realize-
> > or
> > seem to care- how it affects them. Some cats never get over it-
> > especially
> > if they're older.
> >
> > http://maxshouse.com/My_Cats/Christie_04_20-08.jpg
> >

> > Here she is after a few weeks of TLC
> >
> > http://maxshouse.com/My_Cats/Christie_06-07-08b.jpg
> >
> > Oh Phil, you cannot let her go. The love on her face in the second shot
> > here and all the other shots is unmistakeable. What incredible pieces of
> > **** people can be, letting go of a cat like this.

Take look at the adoption section on my site:

http://maxshouse.com/adoptions.htm

Look at the cats that people returned and relinquished to kill shelters.
They're all beautiful.

Look for Julia and Tigger. They're both beautiful brown tabbies. Tigger was
surrendered with his housemate, Blue, another beautiful cat who looks like a
Russian Blue.

Makes you sick, doesn't it? I have to bite my tongue at returns- I try not
to be there because, well, you know my tolerance for assholes.

Phil

CatNipped[_2_]
June 19th 08, 08:01 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "Spot" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> I think you have your answer, she only comes to life when she sees you.
>> Obviously she's chosen you to take her home..........LOL I love the bit
> of
>> orange on the bottom of her face.
>
> When she first came in she was very frightened and wouldn't get out of her
> litter box. I had to put an extra box in her cage so she would go if she
> had
> to. She was so confused- her whole world had been turned upside down.
> These
> people who give up their cats for stupid or petty reasons don't realize-
> or
> seem to care- how it affects them. Some cats never get over it-
> especially
> if they're older.

God, that breaks my heart!

> http://maxshouse.com/My_Cats/Christie_04_20-08.jpg
>

> Here she is after a few weeks of TLC
>
> http://maxshouse.com/My_Cats/Christie_06-07-08b.jpg
>

> Phil

She is simply gorgeous. I hope she finds the perfect forever home.

Hugs,

CatNipped

>> Enjoy.
>>
>> Celeste
>>
>> "Phil P." > wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>> >
>> > Feast your eyes on this Sweetheart! She was surrendered about a month
>> > an
>> > half ago because her owners suddenly became "allergic". I'm actually
>> > afraid
>> > to adopt her to anyone. I make it a point to spend a few minutes with
> her
>> > every day. She's about three years old and an absolute sweetheart.
>> > She
>> > sulks all day and only comes to life when she sees me. Yeah, I know-
>> > there's
>> > no accounting for taste...
>> >

>> > http://maxshouse.com/My_Cats/Christie_03.jpg
>> >
>> > http://maxshouse.com/My_Cats/Christie.jpg
>> >
>> > http://maxshouse.com/My_Cats/Christie_02.jpg

Phil P.
June 19th 08, 08:14 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Phil P." > wrote :
> >
> > I don't know about that__ I think its a photo-finish for 1st place with
my
> > other brown tabby, Chatter
> >
> > http://maxshouse.com/My_Cats/Chatter_05-11-08c.jpg
> >
> > Oops! I said "other" brown tabby!
> >

> Wowww. What a face. You can tell by their expressions how well
> you care for them.

Chatter was an 8-month old second-generation feral when I trapped her 8
years ago. I named her Chatter because she likes to talk. She doesn't talk
because she she wants something, she just likes to talk. I actually have
converations with her.

> Will you keep Christy, Phil?

All the adoption applicant has to do is walk on water! I dropped the
levitation requirement because I though it might be to restrictive.
Seriously, if she doesn't get adopted soon-- very soon. I will. I've really
grown attached to her- and I think she feels the same way. Her eyes
literally light up when she sees me.

I'd like to see her go into a home where she'll get a lot of attention. I
think she needs a lot of attention to feel secure again.

Phil

cybercat
June 19th 08, 08:36 PM
"Phil P." > wrote:

> Chatter was an 8-month old second-generation feral when I trapped her 8
> years ago. I named her Chatter because she likes to talk. She doesn't talk
> because she she wants something, she just likes to talk. I actually have
> converations with her.
>

>> Will you keep Christy, Phil?
>
> All the adoption applicant has to do is walk on water! I dropped the
> levitation requirement because I though it might be to restrictive.
> Seriously, if she doesn't get adopted soon-- very soon. I will. I've
> really
> grown attached to her- and I think she feels the same way. Her eyes
> literally light up when she sees me.
>
> I'd like to see her go into a home where she'll get a lot of attention. I
> think she needs a lot of attention to feel secure again.

Yes, and I would hate to see her go through losing you. Still, I know
you can't take them all and you already have many. But yes, it seems
she has chosen you. I looked at your adoption pictures and it just
wrenched my heart. My husband says, "two cat limit," and I guess
that is what we will have to have until I can get one of the cats to
pay half the mortgage. Then I will take a vote among the cats
and if they say, "one human limit," out he goes. :)

cybercat
June 19th 08, 08:39 PM
"Matthew" > wrote >>
>> http://maxshouse.com/My_Cats/Chatter_05-11-08c.jpg
>>
>> Oops! I said "other" brown tabby!
>>
> Phil one of theses days I am going to have to come met you and shake your
> hand and thank you for being the person that you are.
> May the gods always bless you and your work

I feel the same way. I have actually never met anyone in person who I met
online, but in this case, I really would like to.

I wish I had Phil's--and Wendy's--and others'--courage and strength, to
foster and rescue without having my heart broken over and over again,
or, more accurately, being able to stand having it broken over and over
again. Meeting the people who surrender the animals would have to be
out for me too. I'd get arrested for assault.

geekgrrl
June 19th 08, 09:02 PM
On Jun 19, 3:39*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Matthew" > wrote >>
>
> >>http://maxshouse.com/My_Cats/Chatter_05-11-08c.jpg
>
> >> Oops! I said "other" brown tabby!
>
> > Phil one of theses days I am going to have to come met you and shake your
> > hand and thank you for being the person that you are.
> > May the gods always bless you and your work
>
> I feel the same way. I have actually never met anyone in person who I met
> online, but in this case, I really would like to.
>
> I wish I had Phil's--and Wendy's--and others'--courage and strength, to
> foster and rescue without having my heart broken over and over again,
> or, more accurately, being able to stand having it broken over and over
> again. Meeting the people who surrender the animals would have to be
> out for me too. I'd get arrested for assault.

Not to invite a flame here, but not everyone who surrenders their
animals does so willingly.
I have a girlfriend who had to give up her baby when she moved. New
job, tight on money, she tried for weeks before she moved to find a
new home for Ashes. She ended up having to take her to a shelter. It
was the hardest thing she's ever done.

There are people who can give them up - two of my babies are give-
aways because she was moving in with her boyfriend who was allergic.
I say wrong boyfriend ;)
Worked out for me thougt, I got two really lovable cuties out of it.

Phil P.
June 19th 08, 09:29 PM
"geekgrrl" > wrote in message
On Jun 19, 3:39 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Matthew" > wrote >>
>
> >>http://maxshouse.com/My_Cats/Chatter_05-11-08c.jpg
>
> >> Oops! I said "other" brown tabby!
>
> > Phil one of theses days I am going to have to come met you and shake
your
> > hand and thank you for being the person that you are.
> > May the gods always bless you and your work
>
> I feel the same way. I have actually never met anyone in person who I met
> online, but in this case, I really would like to.
>
> I wish I had Phil's--and Wendy's--and others'--courage and strength, to
> foster and rescue without having my heart broken over and over again,
> or, more accurately, being able to stand having it broken over and over
> again. Meeting the people who surrender the animals would have to be
> out for me too. I'd get arrested for assault.

>Not to invite a flame here, but not everyone who surrenders their
>animals does so willingly.
>I have a girlfriend who had to give up her baby when she moved. New
>job, tight on money, she tried for weeks before she moved to find a
>new home for Ashes. She ended up having to take her to a shelter. It
>was the hardest thing she's ever done.

>There are people who can give them up - two of my babies are give-
>aways because she was moving in with her boyfriend who was allergic.
>I say wrong boyfriend ;)
..Worked out for me thougt, I got two really lovable cuties out of it.

I understand some people have no choice and are truly heartbroken. You can
see it in their eyes- some are literally crying their eyes out- even men
with tears in their eyes. They have my sympathy and understanding. Its the
ones who conjure up asinine excuses and show no emotion- or worse, relieved,
that infuriate me.

Tell me, how can a 30- 40+ person not know they're allergic to cats? ...and
return or surrender the cats more than a year- sometimes two, after adopting
them? None of the people I saw returning cats showed any symptoms
whatsoever. One woman was having a baby and sh said her doctor told her she
"should get rid of the cat".

Phil

CatNipped[_2_]
June 19th 08, 09:36 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "geekgrrl" > wrote in message
> On Jun 19, 3:39 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>> "Matthew" > wrote >>

>> > Phil one of theses days I am going to have to come met you and shake
> your
>> > hand and thank you for being the person that you are.
>> > May the gods always bless you and your work
>>
>> I feel the same way. I have actually never met anyone in person who I met
>> online, but in this case, I really would like to.
>>
>> I wish I had Phil's--and Wendy's--and others'--courage and strength, to
>> foster and rescue without having my heart broken over and over again,
>> or, more accurately, being able to stand having it broken over and over
>> again. Meeting the people who surrender the animals would have to be
>> out for me too. I'd get arrested for assault.
>
>>Not to invite a flame here, but not everyone who surrenders their
>>animals does so willingly.
>>I have a girlfriend who had to give up her baby when she moved. New
>>job, tight on money, she tried for weeks before she moved to find a
>>new home for Ashes. She ended up having to take her to a shelter. It
>>was the hardest thing she's ever done.
>
>>There are people who can give them up - two of my babies are give-
>>aways because she was moving in with her boyfriend who was allergic.
>>I say wrong boyfriend ;)
> .Worked out for me thougt, I got two really lovable cuties out of it.
>
> I understand some people have no choice and are truly heartbroken. You can
> see it in their eyes- some are literally crying their eyes out- even men
> with tears in their eyes. They have my sympathy and understanding. Its
> the
> ones who conjure up asinine excuses and show no emotion- or worse,
> relieved,
> that infuriate me.
>
> Tell me, how can a 30- 40+ person not know they're allergic to cats?
> ...and
> return or surrender the cats more than a year- sometimes two, after
> adopting
> them? None of the people I saw returning cats showed any symptoms
> whatsoever. One woman was having a baby and sh said her doctor told her
> she
> "should get rid of the cat".
>
> Phil

I went to an allergist once who asked where my cats slept (cats are my #2
allergy). I told him they slept on my pillow. He told me to "get rid of
the cats". I kept the cats and got rid of the allergist. 20 years later
and I just take antihistamines daily and suffer through. My cats are worth
a few sniffles and itchy eyes.

Hugs,

CatNipped

cybercat
June 19th 08, 09:47 PM
"Phil P." > wrote

> Tell me, how can a 30- 40+ person not know they're allergic to cats?
> ...and
> return or surrender the cats more than a year- sometimes two, after
> adopting
> them? None of the people I saw returning cats showed any symptoms
> whatsoever. One woman was having a baby and sh said her doctor told her
> she
> "should get rid of the cat".

The other thing is, *I* am allergic to cats. I take medicine. Problem
solved.

cybercat
June 19th 08, 09:52 PM
"geekgrrl" > wrote

>Not to invite a flame here, but not everyone who surrenders their
>animals does so willingly.
>I have a girlfriend who had to give up her baby when she moved. New
>job, tight on money, she tried for weeks before she moved to find a
>new home for Ashes. She ended up having to take her to a shelter. It
>was the hardest thing she's ever done.

I would not have done it. When I adopted my cats, I made a commitment to
them
for life. I moved many times before my first cat died at age 20. I changed
jobs
several times. There were times when I was eating Ramen but she still had
Science Diet.

It depends upon your level of committment. To me, surrendering a cat would
be equivalent to surrendering a child. (Because I don't have children. If I
did,
I know it would be different.) I do not feel sorry for your friend, I feel
sorry
for her cat, who was completely helpless and is now most likely dead.

CatNipped[_2_]
June 19th 08, 10:20 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "geekgrrl" > wrote
>
>>Not to invite a flame here, but not everyone who surrenders their
>>animals does so willingly.
>>I have a girlfriend who had to give up her baby when she moved. New
>>job, tight on money, she tried for weeks before she moved to find a
>>new home for Ashes. She ended up having to take her to a shelter. It
>>was the hardest thing she's ever done.
>
> I would not have done it. When I adopted my cats, I made a commitment to
> them
> for life. I moved many times before my first cat died at age 20. I changed
> jobs
> several times. There were times when I was eating Ramen but she still had
> Science Diet.
>
> It depends upon your level of committment. To me, surrendering a cat would
> be equivalent to surrendering a child. (Because I don't have children. If
> I did,
> I know it would be different.) I do not feel sorry for your friend, I feel
> sorry
> for her cat, who was completely helpless and is now most likely dead.

It is a bit different when you have a child... In a fire I would grab my
child before my cat - but I would go back in for the cat. I feel exactly as
you do - when you take on the responsibility of another life you have that
responsibility for the rest of his/her life no matter what it takes to do
that. I don't know why I've been thinking about this so much lately (and
pray God it doesn't happen), but the *only* reason outside of my death that
I can imagine needing to give up my cats for would be if I were evicted from
my house and rendered homeless. And only because in that case it would be
better for the *cats* to be in a no-kill shelter rather than on the streets.
If the only housing left on the entire planet had a no-pets policy I'd sneak
them in and hide them in the closet in their carriers when the landlord
visited.

Hugs,

CatNipped

cybercat
June 19th 08, 10:55 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote

> It is a bit different when you have a child... In a fire I would grab my
> child before my cat - but I would go back in for the cat. I feel exactly
> as you do - when you take on the responsibility of another life you have
> that responsibility for the rest of his/her life no matter what it takes
> to do that.

Yes, and this is why I used birth control effectively my entire life. It's
not as hard as people pretend it is. :)

>I don't know why I've been thinking about this so much lately (and pray God
>it doesn't happen), but the *only* reason outside of my death that I can
>imagine needing to give up my cats for would be if I were evicted from my
>house and rendered homeless. And only because in that case it would be
>better for the *cats* to be in a no-kill shelter rather than on the
>streets.

Yeah, I can see that, but CN, you are far too capable and too loved for
that to ever happen. You would have to be really old, and that's what we
have our (snork!) Social Security system for, right?

> If the only housing left on the entire planet had a no-pets policy I'd
> sneak them in and hide them in the closet in their carriers when the
> landlord visited.

I believe you. they aren't children but they are members of the family--just
of a different species.

You know, the way I feel about cats it is a good thing I don't have kids.

I think I might be the Mama from Hell.

Spot[_2_]
June 20th 08, 02:44 AM
I'm right there with you. I love my dogs & cats but have absolutely NO
tolerance for bratty misbehaved children. I don't have kids and never
wanted any. I believe strongly that a good attitude adjustment via a whack
on the ass is what a lot of kids are lacking these days. It never hurt us
any and we all turned out OK.

Celeste

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "CatNipped" > wrote
>
>> It is a bit different when you have a child... In a fire I would grab my
>> child before my cat - but I would go back in for the cat. I feel exactly
>> as you do - when you take on the responsibility of another life you have
>> that responsibility for the rest of his/her life no matter what it takes
>> to do that.
>
> Yes, and this is why I used birth control effectively my entire life. It's
> not as hard as people pretend it is. :)
>
>>I don't know why I've been thinking about this so much lately (and pray
>>God it doesn't happen), but the *only* reason outside of my death that I
>>can imagine needing to give up my cats for would be if I were evicted from
>>my house and rendered homeless. And only because in that case it would be
>>better for the *cats* to be in a no-kill shelter rather than on the
>>streets.
>
> Yeah, I can see that, but CN, you are far too capable and too loved for
> that to ever happen. You would have to be really old, and that's what we
> have our (snork!) Social Security system for, right?
>

>> If the only housing left on the entire planet had a no-pets policy I'd
>> sneak them in and hide them in the closet in their carriers when the
>> landlord visited.
>
> I believe you. they aren't children but they are members of the
> family--just
> of a different species.
>
> You know, the way I feel about cats it is a good thing I don't have kids.
>
> I think I might be the Mama from Hell.

Riannon via CatKB.com
June 20th 08, 02:47 AM
Phil P. wrote:
>Makes you sick, doesn't it? I have to bite my tongue at returns- I try not
>to be there because, well, you know my tolerance for assholes.

Wanna hear one I overheard when I was at a shelter once? A woman was
dropping off her cat and said the reason was that "he keeps jumping on the
kitchen counter". Unbelievable.

Riannon

-Lost
June 20th 08, 09:00 AM
Response to "Riannon via CatKB.com" <[email protected]>:

>>Makes you sick, doesn't it? I have to bite my tongue at returns-
>>I try not to be there because, well, you know my tolerance for
>>assholes.
>
> Wanna hear one I overheard when I was at a shelter once? A woman
> was dropping off her cat and said the reason was that "he keeps
> jumping on the kitchen counter". Unbelievable.

I'm sure you would both rather have someone surrender their cat for a
stupid reason than for them to keep the cat and abuse it because of
THEIR stupidity...

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

CatNipped[_2_]
June 20th 08, 02:23 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "CatNipped" > wrote
>
>> It is a bit different when you have a child... In a fire I would grab my
>> child before my cat - but I would go back in for the cat. I feel exactly
>> as you do - when you take on the responsibility of another life you have
>> that responsibility for the rest of his/her life no matter what it takes
>> to do that.
>
> Yes, and this is why I used birth control effectively my entire life. It's
> not as hard as people pretend it is. :)

Good on you! I wanted children, but only two. You have to have some level
of maturity to know your limits. BTW, have you seen the promos for the TV
show "The Baby Borrowers"? It's teens who are going around saying, ooooooo
I think I'd be a good parent, I luuuuuuurve kids. Then they give them
babies (then toddlers, then teens) for a while to show them what it's
*really* like to have kids 24/7!

>>I don't know why I've been thinking about this so much lately (and pray
>>God it doesn't happen), but the *only* reason outside of my death that I
>>can imagine needing to give up my cats for would be if I were evicted from
>>my house and rendered homeless. And only because in that case it would be
>>better for the *cats* to be in a no-kill shelter rather than on the
>>streets.
>
> Yeah, I can see that, but CN, you are far too capable and too loved for
> that to ever happen. You would have to be really old, and that's what we
> have our (snork!) Social Security system for, right?

Like I said, I don't know why I keep thinking about this lately... I guess
one reason is the announcement we got at my company (I work for a consulting
firm that helps other companies with their HR stuff like retirement
investments, funding group insurance, compensation packets, etc.). They are
holding classes for our consultants to teach them how to "counsel clients on
ways to deal with the imminent economic crisis in the US". That's the
verbiage on the memo, what I'm hearing our investment counselors saying
around the water cooler is "imminent economic collapse". They're going to
teach clients how to handle massive lay-offs, what to do when investment
firms start going under, how to "offshore" assets that would become
worthless in the US, etc. You can stop reading here if you're not
interested in world politics, but this is what I've come to understand is
happening...

The US has been playing the bully in the schoolyard ever since the end of
the cold war - threatening others and taking all the toys and lunch money
for itself. In the past our military technology and massive strike
capabilities have kept anybody else from really standing up to the bully.
However, in the past few decades, the "other kids", 90 pound weaklings that
they are, have started to plot a strategy to take the bully down. They are
forming alliances (the European Union, OPEC), and baiting the bully in many
different directions to distract him and make him use his resources in lots
of different places. Funding for our war in Iraq, other military actions,
and militarily policing the rest of the world has come mostly from communist
China!! We owe over 9 TRILLION dollars in debt that is very shortly going
to be called due.

Since there still isn't any other nation or even combination of nations that
can stand toe to toe with us militarily, they're going to strike at us the
only way they can, economically - partly from without, but mostly from
within. Europe and the middle east want to see us become the "North
American Union". This is going to divert even more of our resources when we
start to be responsible for the masses of poor in Mexico while incorporating
the (extremely costly) semi-socialist government of Canada. Even now, we're
spending billions of dollars for healthcare and education for illegal
immigrants who pay no taxes in return. There are large sections of the US
where only Spanish is spoken. [Personally, I think George W. Bush is going
to go down in history as the greatest traitor to his country of all time -
unless you look at it from the "winning" side and then he'll be seen as the
greatest hero of all time.]

The first *publicized* red flag that showed up here was the collapse of the
housing market - mortgage companies going broke and being shut down because
of financial fraud, thousands of home owners evicted. The next big hit was
gas prices. In a country that transports more goods cross-country than any
other nation on earth (not even counting what we use for farming and
industry), that is going to be the straw that broke the camel's back. When
gas prices get to $12/gallon (which is predicted to happen in the not very
distant future), we're going to start seeing bread going for $8 - $10 a
loaf, fresh veggies $15 - $17 per pound. Combine those prices with the
massive lay-offs that are going to occur as businesses try to keep their
heads above water and you can see that our near future is not going to be a
very nice place to live in.

Anyway, sorry for the depressing rant, but you can see why I'm worried about
what's going to happen to my family - both furry and bare!

Hugs,

CatNipped

>> If the only housing left on the entire planet had a no-pets policy I'd
>> sneak them in and hide them in the closet in their carriers when the
>> landlord visited.
>
> I believe you. they aren't children but they are members of the
> family--just
> of a different species.
>
> You know, the way I feel about cats it is a good thing I don't have kids.
>
> I think I might be the Mama from Hell.

Riannon via CatKB.com
June 20th 08, 08:31 PM
cindys wrote:
>How about this excuse: "Too affectionate."
>Best regards,

Yikes, you win for "most absurd excuse ever heard".

Riannon

Phil P.
June 20th 08, 11:27 PM
"cindys" > wrote in message

> --------
> How about this excuse: "Too affectionate."

...or not affectionate enough. We had a few cats returned because they
weren't instant lap cats or mushes-- after only a few days. I explained to
the adoptives that it takes a little time for the cat to adjust and feel
secure in her new home & family. The mere fact the cats were very
affectionate at the adoption center- where cats are usually at their worst
because of all the different people, noises and barking dogs- shows that the
cats have an affectionate nature and just need a little time to feel secure
and come out. They didn't seem to want to wait or put in the effort.

One woman actually started looking at the other cats! When I asked what she
was doing, she said she was trying to choose a different cat! I told her I
wouldn't give her another cat because none of the cats would meet her
expectations. I gave her a refund just to get rid of her. She had a few
choice words for me. lol

I'm more worried than happy when cat gets adopted, no matter how thoroughly
I screen the adoptives. Reading some of the posts on this group sure doesn't
help. It really worries me that some people need to be told to take their
cat to a vet when their cats' behavior changes or the cat stops eating, or
has diarrhea for weeks or they see blood.

I *really* hate working adoptions-but we're very short on volunteers until
the end of the month. I'd rather be trapping in a cold rain.

Phil

Phil P.
June 21st 08, 09:23 AM
"Riannon via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Phil P. wrote:
> >Makes you sick, doesn't it? I have to bite my tongue at returns- I try
not
> >to be there because, well, you know my tolerance for assholes.
>

> Wanna hear one I overheard when I was at a shelter once? A woman was
> dropping off her cat and said the reason was that "he keeps jumping on the
> kitchen counter". Unbelievable.

This little sweetie was dumped at the city pound yesterday afternoon.
Friday is the worst day at that pound because they kill cats to free up
cages for the weekend intake.

Two years old and declawed. Reason: "No longer wanted". They declawed her
and still dumped her- and in a high-kill shelter. I'm thankful the right
person was doing intakes and called us.

http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/annie_feature.htm

-Lost
June 22nd 08, 05:49 AM
Response to "Phil P." >:

> This little sweetie was dumped at the city pound yesterday
> afternoon. Friday is the worst day at that pound because they kill
> cats to free up cages for the weekend intake.
>
> Two years old and declawed. Reason: "No longer wanted". They
> declawed her and still dumped her- and in a high-kill shelter. I'm
> thankful the right person was doing intakes and called us.
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/annie_feature.htm

Hey! What kind of kitty is this? Phat Kat (our new front-declawed
arrival) looks exactly like this -- well, he's twice the size as Annie
looks -- but almost a perfect match.

Thanks.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

Phil P.
June 22nd 08, 06:53 AM
"-Lost" > wrote in message
> Response to "Phil P." >:
>
> > This little sweetie was dumped at the city pound yesterday
> > afternoon. Friday is the worst day at that pound because they kill
> > cats to free up cages for the weekend intake.
> >
> > Two years old and declawed. Reason: "No longer wanted". They
> > declawed her and still dumped her- and in a high-kill shelter. I'm
> > thankful the right person was doing intakes and called us.
> >
> > http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/annie_feature.htm
>
> Hey! What kind of kitty is this?

The best kind- an adopted kitty! She was adopted yesterday afternoon! She
was just back from the vet- about 2 hours earlier. The woman fell in love
with her before she even knew she was declawed- being declawed didn't make
any difference to her. I think it was a perfect match.

http://www.maxshouse.com/Adopted/Annies_adoption_day.jpg

Phat Kat (our new front-declawed
> arrival) looks exactly like this -- well, he's twice the size as Annie
> looks -- but almost a perfect match.

Got a picture?

CatNipped[_2_]
June 23rd 08, 08:25 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "cindys" > wrote in message
>>
>> --------
>> How about this excuse: "Too affectionate."
>

> ..or not affectionate enough. We had a few cats returned because they
> weren't instant lap cats or mushes-- after only a few days. I explained to
> the adoptives that it takes a little time for the cat to adjust and feel
> secure in her new home & family. The mere fact the cats were very
> affectionate at the adoption center- where cats are usually at their worst
> because of all the different people, noises and barking dogs- shows that
> the
> cats have an affectionate nature and just need a little time to feel
> secure
> and come out. They didn't seem to want to wait or put in the effort.
>
> One woman actually started looking at the other cats! When I asked what
> she
> was doing, she said she was trying to choose a different cat! I told her
> wouldn't give her another cat because none of the cats would meet her
> expectations. I gave her a refund just to get rid of her. She had a few
> choice words for me. lol
>
> I'm more worried than happy when cat gets adopted, no matter how
> thoroughly
> I screen the adoptives. Reading some of the posts on this group sure
> doesn't
> help. It really worries me that some people need to be told to take their
> cat to a vet when their cats' behavior changes or the cat stops eating, or
> has diarrhea for weeks or they see blood.
>
> I *really* hate working adoptions-but we're very short on volunteers until
> the end of the month. I'd rather be trapping in a cold rain.
>
> Phil

Demi, the most beautiful cat I've ever known, is also the most timid cat
I've ever known. We got her when she was only about 5 - 6 weeks old (she
rode 35 miles to my husband's work in the engine compartment of a co-worker)
and she has known only love, soft voices, and extreme pampering ever since.
However, she has always run away from us whenever she sees us, and when
company comes they don't even know we have a white cat. She's been with us
for 10 years now. Even though it's impossible to get as close to her as I
am with my other cats, I think that's even *more* reason to care for her
because I know she'd be absolutely terrified and miserable anywhere else.
She went in to the vet for a dental today and I felt like the scummiest sh*t
on the face of the earth because it was clear to see she was petrified to be
in the cat carrier going somewhere strange.

Hugs,

CatNipped

-Lost
June 24th 08, 01:28 AM
Response to "Phil P." >:

>> > http://maxshouse.com/Adoptions/annie_feature.htm
>>
>> Hey! What kind of kitty is this?
>
> The best kind- an adopted kitty! She was adopted yesterday
> afternoon! She was just back from the vet- about 2 hours earlier.
> The woman fell in love with her before she even knew she was
> declawed- being declawed didn't make any difference to her. I
> think it was a perfect match.

Good for her! She was gorgeous and looked really sweet.

> Phat Kat (our new front-declawed
>> arrival) looks exactly like this -- well, he's twice the size as
>> Annie looks -- but almost a perfect match.
>
> Got a picture?

I just took two for ya'.

Phat Kat snoozing on the back of the couch aka "one of the few places
safe from Gabby."

http://img154.imageshack.us/my.php?image=phatkat1lx1.jpg

Phat Kat's phat head. ; )

http://img401.imageshack.us/my.php?image=phatkat2sy3.jpg

NOTE: Yes, he's been forced into a diet. Although he bites me to
let me know he disapproves.

And while I have your attention -- when you look at the second one,
do you see anything at all abnormal?

I sometimes think his chin is really big and of course the dirt he
always seems to have around his nose and eyes. The animal hospital
and my local vet said it was nothing to worry about and that he
doesn't have the "kitty acne." He doesn't seem to be bothered
either.

Good luck, Annie!

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

-Lost
June 28th 08, 07:37 AM
Response to "-Lost" >:

<snip>

>> Phat Kat (our new front-declawed
>>> arrival) looks exactly like this -- well, he's twice the size as
>>> Annie looks -- but almost a perfect match.
>>
>> Got a picture?
>
> I just took two for ya'.
>
> Phat Kat snoozing on the back of the couch aka "one of the few
> places safe from Gabby."
>
> http://img154.imageshack.us/my.php?image=phatkat1lx1.jpg
>
> Phat Kat's phat head. ; )
>
> http://img401.imageshack.us/my.php?image=phatkat2sy3.jpg
>
> NOTE: Yes, he's been forced into a diet. Although he bites me to
> let me know he disapproves.
>
> And while I have your attention -- when you look at the second
> one, do you see anything at all abnormal?
>
> I sometimes think his chin is really big and of course the dirt he
> always seems to have around his nose and eyes. The animal
> hospital and my local vet said it was nothing to worry about and
> that he doesn't have the "kitty acne." He doesn't seem to be
> bothered either.

Busy? Forgotten thread? Did I offend? Just checking!

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

Phil P.
June 28th 08, 08:35 AM
"-Lost" > wrote in message
> Response to "-Lost" >:
>
> <snip>
>
> >> Phat Kat (our new front-declawed
> >>
> >> Got a picture?
> >
> > I just took two for ya'.
> >
> > Phat Kat snoozing on the back of the couch aka "one of the few
> > places safe from Gabby."
> >
> > http://img154.imageshack.us/my.php?image=phatkat1lx1.jpg
> >
> > Phat Kat's phat head. ; )
> >
> > http://img401.imageshack.us/my.php?image=phatkat2sy3.jpg
> >
> > NOTE: Yes, he's been forced into a diet. Although he bites me to
> > let me know he disapproves.
> >
> > And while I have your attention -- when you look at the second
> > one, do you see anything at all abnormal?
> >
> > I sometimes think his chin is really big and of course the dirt he
> > always seems to have around his nose and eyes. The animal
> > hospital and my local vet said it was nothing to worry about and
> > that he doesn't have the "kitty acne." He doesn't seem to be
> > bothered either.
>
> Busy? Forgotten thread? Did I offend? Just checking!

Busy and forgot to reply. Sorry.

I lightened up the photo a bit so I could see a little better-

http://maxshouse.com/misc/phatkat2sy3.jpg

Nope. I didn't see anything abnormal.

I'll delete it after you let me know you saw it.

Phil

-Lost
June 30th 08, 03:59 PM
Response to "Phil P." >:

> Busy and forgot to reply. Sorry.

Totally understand! I saw the new lil' alien kitty (the one under
the truck covered in fleas and oil). I'm not sure why, but Sparky_01
just screamed "outta' this world!"

> I lightened up the photo a bit so I could see a little better-
>
> http://maxshouse.com/misc/phatkat2sy3.jpg
>
> Nope. I didn't see anything abnormal.
>
> I'll delete it after you let me know you saw it.

Yes, I saw it. Thank you!

His face is so much different from Gabby's that I wondered if there
was a problem. But after seeing Annie, I noticed they had similar
features -- big chin, big round cheeks (or whisker holders) and such.

Anyway, thanks again!

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

Phil P.
July 1st 08, 12:09 AM
"-Lost" > wrote in message
> Response to "Phil P." >:
>
> > Busy and forgot to reply. Sorry.
>
> Totally understand! I saw the new lil' alien kitty (the one under
> the truck covered in fleas and oil). I'm not sure why, but Sparky_01
> just screamed "outta' this world!"
>
> > I lightened up the photo a bit so I could see a little better-
> >
> > http://maxshouse.com/misc/phatkat2sy3.jpg
> >
> > Nope. I didn't see anything abnormal.
> >
> > I'll delete it after you let me know you saw it.
>
> Yes, I saw it. Thank you!
>
> His face is so much different from Gabby's that I wondered if there
> was a problem. But after seeing Annie, I noticed they had similar
> features -- big chin, big round cheeks (or whisker holders) and such.
>
> Anyway, thanks again!

His right cheek does look a little puffy- I can't see the other side. Are
they the same?

-Lost
July 6th 08, 01:23 AM
Response to "Phil P." >:

> His right cheek does look a little puffy- I can't see the other
> side. Are they the same?

Sorry to take so long this round. The spouse was out of town on
business and apparently they can do magic with these critters as Phat
Kat will NOT stay still for me or let me uncover his face.

You'll notice that in:

http://foomanchu.com/t/phatkats_profile2.jpg

....the spouse was able to remove his paw from his face for a moment.

The spouse assures me that I'm bonkers and that in fact the reason
one side looked larger was because we always examine him after his
fat head has been laying flat on one side. That appears to be the
case as the spouse was able to manipulate Phat Kat's lips and cheeks
without any problems.

This can be seen in:

http://foomanchu.com/t/phatkats_cheeks1.jpg

You'll probably need to play with the contrast again to see it
nicely.

Is the chin normal? Specifically in:

http://foomanchu.com/t/phatkats_profile1.jpg
http://foomanchu.com/t/phatkats_profile3.jpg

*giggle* I just glanced back at Phat Kat because he was kneading my
shoulder and noticed his left cheek looked larger than his right.
Yep, he's laying on his right side.

*Temporary Web space provided by the spouse because I cannot bear the
thought to use Picasa again or upload to ImageShack one-by-one.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

-Lost
July 6th 08, 01:35 AM
Response to "-Lost" >:

<SNIP>

Oops! It appears I put the wrong pictures online. The spouse said
these were to go up.

http://foomanchu.com/t2/

Basically, they're not at all worried about Phat Kat's face (except
maybe the chin). You can see the smooshed left side again, but as you
see, only because he was laying on it again.

Also, the spouse yelled at me because you could see their skin color.
So please, allow me to be a sarcastic wise-arse when I say, "No hate
crimes please!" ; P

*crinkles nose at spouse*

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

CatNipped[_2_]
July 7th 08, 05:00 PM
"-Lost" > wrote in message
> Response to "-Lost" >:
>
> <SNIP>
>
> Oops! It appears I put the wrong pictures online. The spouse said
> these were to go up.
>
> http://foomanchu.com/t2/
>
> Basically, they're not at all worried about Phat Kat's face (except
> maybe the chin). You can see the smooshed left side again, but as you
> see, only because he was laying on it again.
>
> Also, the spouse yelled at me because you could see their skin color.
> So please, allow me to be a sarcastic wise-arse when I say, "No hate
> crimes please!" ; P
>
> *crinkles nose at spouse*
>
> --
> -Lost
> kidding. No I am not.

I won't comment on the size of one cheek vs. the other (it doesn't look
significant to me, allowing for the natural asymmetry of any animal's face),
but I do notice that Phat Kat seems to be suffering from FHV (Feline Herpes
Virus) going by the amount of "gunk" in his eyes. And if he has FHV, it
pretty certain that your other cats will have it too even if they aren't
currently displaying symptoms.

To get rid of this, look in the vitamins / herbal remedy aisle of Wal-Mart
and pick up a bottle of 500Mg L-Lysine. Crush 1/2 a tablet into soft food
(mixing well) twice a day so that each cat is getting 500Mg a day. The
weeping eyes/sneezing/coughing/runny nose etc. should go away in about 3 to
4 weeks, and if you continue giving the L-Lysine prophylacticly, the
symptoms won't return.

FHV-1 uses a naturally occurring amino acid, arginine, in order to
reproduce. Studies indicate that L-lysine competes with arginine and
antagonizes its growth-promoting effect on FHV-1 (thereby inhibiting viral
replication) without altering the plasma concentration of essential amino
acids or causing arginine deficiency in cats.

My boys had really severe outbreaks of FHV when we adopted them, but after a
course of L-Lysine (and continued prophylactic dosage), their URI cleared up
and they've never had a single symptom since.

BTW, for anyone suffering from cold sores, L-Lysine will help inhibit
outbreaks of herpes in humans also.

Hugs,

CatNipped

-Lost
July 8th 08, 04:37 AM
Response to "CatNipped" >:

>> <SNIP>
>>
>> Oops! It appears I put the wrong pictures online. The spouse
>> said these were to go up.
>>
>> http://foomanchu.com/t2/
>>
>> Basically, they're not at all worried about Phat Kat's face
>> (except maybe the chin). You can see the smooshed left side
>> again, but as you see, only because he was laying on it again.
>>
>> Also, the spouse yelled at me because you could see their skin
>> color. So please, allow me to be a sarcastic wise-arse when I
>> say, "No hate crimes please!" ; P
>>
>> *crinkles nose at spouse*
>
> I won't comment on the size of one cheek vs. the other (it doesn't
> look significant to me, allowing for the natural asymmetry of any
> animal's face), but I do notice that Phat Kat seems to be
> suffering from FHV (Feline Herpes Virus) going by the amount of
> "gunk" in his eyes. And if he has FHV, it pretty certain that
> your other cats will have it too even if they aren't currently
> displaying symptoms.

I thought so too!! I was not sure as I tend to misinterpret things.
That is why I asked if anything odd was observed, over 2 weeks ago.

And because the vet said that there was NOTHING wrong other than
obesity, with Phat Kat. I am fairly certain that FHV was tested for
during a preliminary examination but I could be wrong.

> To get rid of this, look in the vitamins / herbal remedy aisle of
> Wal-Mart and pick up a bottle of 500Mg L-Lysine. Crush 1/2 a
> tablet into soft food (mixing well) twice a day so that each cat
> is getting 500Mg a day. The weeping eyes/sneezing/coughing/runny
> nose etc. should go away in about 3 to 4 weeks, and if you
> continue giving the L-Lysine prophylacticly, the symptoms won't
> return.
>
> FHV-1 uses a naturally occurring amino acid, arginine, in order to
> reproduce. Studies indicate that L-lysine competes with arginine
> and antagonizes its growth-promoting effect on FHV-1 (thereby
> inhibiting viral replication) without altering the plasma
> concentration of essential amino acids or causing arginine
> deficiency in cats.

I read this exact response from you recently (somewhere here) didn't
I? ; )

<snip>

Thanks for the great information. What is *REALLY* odd to me is that
Phat Kat's "gunky" eyes are sometimes clear, sometimes a little,
sometimes a lot. The only other symptom I've seen is approximately
<5 sneezes -- in a couple months. I still suspected FHV though.

Tell me this -- if it is indeed FHV, would it have been at all
possible to prevent Gabby or others from getting it?

Gabby shows absolutely zero signs for the record.

P.S. I've had a nip -- so if I seem excited about FHV, let me assure
you, I'm not. Quite the opposite. Thanks again, CatNipped.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

CatNipped[_2_]
July 8th 08, 02:16 PM
"-Lost" > wrote in message
> Response to "CatNipped" >:
>
>>> <SNIP>
>>>
>>> Oops! It appears I put the wrong pictures online. The spouse
>>> said these were to go up.
>>>
>>> http://foomanchu.com/t2/
>>>
>>> Basically, they're not at all worried about Phat Kat's face
>>> (except maybe the chin). You can see the smooshed left side
>>> again, but as you see, only because he was laying on it again.
>>>
>>> Also, the spouse yelled at me because you could see their skin
>>> color. So please, allow me to be a sarcastic wise-arse when I
>>> say, "No hate crimes please!" ; P
>>>
>>> *crinkles nose at spouse*
>>
>> I won't comment on the size of one cheek vs. the other (it doesn't
>> look significant to me, allowing for the natural asymmetry of any
>> animal's face), but I do notice that Phat Kat seems to be
>> suffering from FHV (Feline Herpes Virus) going by the amount of
>> "gunk" in his eyes. And if he has FHV, it pretty certain that
>> your other cats will have it too even if they aren't currently
>> displaying symptoms.
>
> I thought so too!! I was not sure as I tend to misinterpret things.
> That is why I asked if anything odd was observed, over 2 weeks ago.

Sorry, didn't see that post.

> And because the vet said that there was NOTHING wrong other than
> obesity, with Phat Kat. I am fairly certain that FHV was tested for
> during a preliminary examination but I could be wrong.

It was probably FIV/FeLV that your vet tested for.

FHV is feline herpes virus - it's like cold sores in humans. It is
constantly present in the body once contracted, but can lie dormant. Also
like humans and cold sores, any stress or any weakening of the immune system
can cause an outbreak. Again, like herpes in humans, FHV is *very*
widespread - the virus can live on surfaces outside the body and be
transmitted to others, so most likely your other cats have it but are just
not displaying symptoms. Some healthy cats *never* display symptoms or have
very mild symptoms that can be overlooked.

Vets don't usually prescribe anything for FHV, per se. They will prescribe
antibiotics for other problems that can be brought on by an FHV attack
(infections in the eyes, nose, or throat). But, just like human herpes,
there is no cure - you can only treat the symptoms. The closest thing to a
"cure" is the L-Lysine which, while not destroying the herpes virus, will at
least keep it from reproducing and causing outbreaks.

>> To get rid of this, look in the vitamins / herbal remedy aisle of
>> Wal-Mart and pick up a bottle of 500Mg L-Lysine. Crush 1/2 a
>> tablet into soft food (mixing well) twice a day so that each cat
>> is getting 500Mg a day. The weeping eyes/sneezing/coughing/runny
>> nose etc. should go away in about 3 to 4 weeks, and if you
>> continue giving the L-Lysine prophylacticly, the symptoms won't
>> return.
>>
>> FHV-1 uses a naturally occurring amino acid, arginine, in order to
>> reproduce. Studies indicate that L-lysine competes with arginine
>> and antagonizes its growth-promoting effect on FHV-1 (thereby
>> inhibiting viral replication) without altering the plasma
>> concentration of essential amino acids or causing arginine
>> deficiency in cats.
>
> I read this exact response from you recently (somewhere here) didn't
> I? ; )

Probably - I'm a big proponent for L-Lysine, it has worked wonders in my
cats. Even though the boys had about the worst outbreak of it that I've
ever seen, I've never, ever seen any gunky eyes since. Just look at this
face: http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/Ozzy2/100_1192.jpg! ;>

> <snip>
>
> Thanks for the great information. What is *REALLY* odd to me is that
> Phat Kat's "gunky" eyes are sometimes clear, sometimes a little,
> sometimes a lot. The only other symptom I've seen is approximately
> <5 sneezes -- in a couple months. I still suspected FHV though.

Yep, cats have "outbreaks" just like humans. Again, stress or a weakened
immune system will cause an outbreak.

> Tell me this -- if it is indeed FHV, would it have been at all
> possible to prevent Gabby or others from getting it?

As I said above, they probably already have it they're just not having an
outbreak, so are symptom free. There are a number of things that can "lurk"
in a cat and not cause problems until something else has broken down their
resistence. Coccidia is on example of that. Most adult cats carry
coccidia, but their immune system keeps it in check (however, they may shed
cysts in the feces and infect other cats in the household). Symptoms can
appear if the cat is stressed or the immune system is under attack from
another cause. This same problem that shows no signs in a healthy adult,
however, can be fatal to kittens or unhealthy adults.

> Gabby shows absolutely zero signs for the record.
>
> P.S. I've had a nip -- so if I seem excited about FHV, let me assure
> you, I'm not. Quite the opposite. Thanks again, CatNipped.

No problem - glad to help, as always.

Hugs,

CatNipped

> --
> -Lost
> kidding. No I am not.

Cheryl
July 9th 08, 03:06 AM
On Mon 07 Jul 2008 11:37:13p, -Lost wrote in
rec.pets.cats.health+behav <news:[email protected]
216.196.97.136>:

> Tell me this -- if it is indeed FHV, would it have been at all
> possible to prevent Gabby or others from getting it?
>
> Gabby shows absolutely zero signs for the record.

I have an adult cat (nearly 4 years old now) who has periodic
flare-ups of FHV - she has a flare-up right now - and even though
her littermate who also enslaved me had the virus as a kitten, he
doesn't have flare ups any more. My other two cats also don't have
any symptoms of FHV even though they are all close. That is one of
the viruses covered by the combo shot that some people get for
their cats and others don't. The one with flare-ups gets hers
yearly, as does her brother and another of my cats. One of mine
has a compromised immune system so he doesn't get any vaccinations
at all any more, though he got them for his first two years with
me. He's probably close to 8 years old now. I'm thinking that the
one who gets occasional flare-ups won't be getting any more shots,
but it's a hard call.

--
Cheryl

J a c k
August 30th 08, 04:55 AM
Spot wrote:

> I don't have kids and never
> wanted any. I believe strongly that a good attitude adjustment via a whack
> on the ass is what a lot of kids are lacking these days. It never hurt us
> any and we all turned out OK.

Except for those few who can't stand children.

Jack

jmc
August 30th 08, 03:12 PM
Suddenly, without warning, J a c k exclaimed (8/29/2008 11:55 PM):
> Spot wrote:
>
>> I don't have kids and never wanted any. I believe strongly that a good
>> attitude adjustment via a whack on the ass is what a lot of kids are
>> lacking these days. It never hurt us any and we all turned out OK.
>

> Except for those few who can't stand children.
>

> Jack

Spot never said he/she couldn't stand children. Just said s/he didn't
have and didn't want kids. Don't get me started. We also don't have
and don't want kids. I was under a lot of peer pressure to have kids.
How stupid is that? "You must have kids because I think you should!"???

Fortunately, now I'm too old, and safe from those who think procreation
is an absolute requirement. If more people thought like Spot and I (and
my spouse) there wouldn't be nearly so much of a population problem.

jmc