PDA

View Full Version : FDA Requests Seizure of Animal Food Products at PETCO Distribution Center

Phil P.
June 20th 08, 09:48 PM
If you live in Alabama, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky,
Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, Oklahoma,
Tennessee, Texas, or Wisconsin, you might to read this.

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2008/NEW01854.html

This may apply to all Petco's petfood storage facilities.

Outsider
June 21st 08, 12:14 AM
wrote in
:

> "Phil P." > wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
>> If you live in Alabama, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky,
>> Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, Oklahoma,
>> Tennessee, Texas, or Wisconsin, you might to read this.
>>
>> http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2008/NEW01854.html
>>
>> This may apply to all Petco's petfood storage facilities.
>>

> Uh-oh. Would you suggest throwing away the Fancy Feast I just bought
> at a NY Petco? I was thinking the same thing you were. If the
> quality control at one distribution center isn't up to par, how can we
> trust the other centers? I'm upset to read this because I know that
> Petco's allocate space to cat adoption shelters and seem to be a very
> animal friendly company.
>
> Can the canned food be contaminated even if they're all sealed?

No, wash the cans before opening them if you are worried. The can would
need to be rotted through to be a problem.

Andy

Phil P.
June 21st 08, 08:59 AM
> wrote in message
> "Phil P." > wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
> > If you live in Alabama, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky,
> > Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, Oklahoma,
> > Tennessee, Texas, or Wisconsin, you might to read this.
> >
> > http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2008/NEW01854.html
> >
> > This may apply to all Petco's petfood storage facilities.
> >

> Uh-oh. Would you suggest throwing away the Fancy Feast I just bought at a
NY
> Petco?

Naa. I'd just wash the cans.

I was thinking the same thing you were. If the quality control at
> one distribution center isn't up to par, how can we trust the other
centers?
> I'm upset to read this because I know that Petco's allocate space to cat
> adoption shelters and seem to be a very animal friendly company.

All that is just PR.

> Can the canned food be contaminated even if they're all sealed?

Not unless the cans are rusted through or punctured.

Phil

blkcatgal
June 21st 08, 02:13 PM
Aren't the cans wrapped in plastic and cardboard when they are sent from the
manufacturer and therefore, would be that way in the distribution center? I
buy canned food from PetCo (just bought some yesterday) and the cans looked
fine. A lot of the canned food is still wrapped up on the shelves...I think
the store employees are the ones that take it out of the packaging when they
are stocking the shelves.

S.
---
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> > wrote in message
>> "Phil P." > wrote in news:[email protected]:
>>
>> > If you live in Alabama, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky,
>> > Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, Oklahoma,
>> > Tennessee, Texas, or Wisconsin, you might to read this.
>> >
>> > http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2008/NEW01854.html
>> >
>> > This may apply to all Petco's petfood storage facilities.
>> >

>> Uh-oh. Would you suggest throwing away the Fancy Feast I just bought at
> NY
>> Petco?
>
> Naa. I'd just wash the cans.
>

> I was thinking the same thing you were. If the quality control at
>> one distribution center isn't up to par, how can we trust the other
> centers?
>> I'm upset to read this because I know that Petco's allocate space to cat
>> adoption shelters and seem to be a very animal friendly company.
>
> All that is just PR.
>

>> Can the canned food be contaminated even if they're all sealed?
>

> Not unless the cans are rusted through or punctured.
>

> Phil

Phil P.
June 21st 08, 05:45 PM
"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
. ..
> Aren't the cans wrapped in plastic and cardboard when they are sent from
the
> manufacturer and therefore, would be that way in the distribution center?
> buy canned food from PetCo (just bought some yesterday) and the cans
looked
> fine. A lot of the canned food is still wrapped up on the shelves...I
think
> the store employees are the ones that take it out of the packaging when
they
> are stocking the shelves.

If the distribution center is contaminated, the packaging that the cans are
in can also be contaminated. Handlers can spread the bacteria and other
creepy crawlers to the cans when they open the cases and stock the shelves.

blkcatgal
June 22nd 08, 02:02 PM
Guess I'll wash the cans. FYI, when I was in PetCo, they had a whole
display of Wellness food set up.

S.
---