PDA

View Full Version : Mice


Bryce
June 22nd 08, 01:36 AM
Despite my ever-vigilant clan of indoor felines, I had been
visited regularly by mice. Evidence: mouse poop in one room
in the basement. I hated to do it, but I set several traps
in that room and kept the door closed. There seemed to be
an everlasting supply of rodents ... I caught one every week
or so for months and months. Really hated to kill them.

I took a guess as to where they were getting through the
foundation and sprinkled some (cat) urine-soaked litter
there. No further mousey visitors for a couple of years.
I add a bit of new litter to refresh the entree now and
then. It worked GREAT!

Until today. I discovered a mouse in one of my traps:
he was caught by just a bit of one front foot and trying
like mad to get free. I put mouse and trap into a box
and carried it outside where I set him/her free. I don't
know whether he'll survive. Also don't know whether he
is smart enough to NOT come back.

Other than moving away, what else can I do to avoid
further executions? This latest one was really cute.

Bryce

MaryL
June 22nd 08, 03:28 AM
"Bryce" > wrote in message
...
> Despite my ever-vigilant clan of indoor felines, I had been
> visited regularly by mice. Evidence: mouse poop in one room
> in the basement. I hated to do it, but I set several traps
> in that room and kept the door closed. There seemed to be
> an everlasting supply of rodents ... I caught one every week
> or so for months and months. Really hated to kill them.
>
> I took a guess as to where they were getting through the
> foundation and sprinkled some (cat) urine-soaked litter
> there. No further mousey visitors for a couple of years.
> I add a bit of new litter to refresh the entree now and
> then. It worked GREAT!
>
> Until today. I discovered a mouse in one of my traps:
> he was caught by just a bit of one front foot and trying
> like mad to get free. I put mouse and trap into a box
> and carried it outside where I set him/her free. I don't
> know whether he'll survive. Also don't know whether he
> is smart enough to NOT come back.
>
> Other than moving away, what else can I do to avoid
> further executions? This latest one was really cute.
>
> Bryce

I grew up in a rural area of Ohio. We lived in a very old, traditional farm
house -- and, of course, houses that old have lots of tiny cracks. Mice can
navigate what seem like impossibly small spaces, but we eventually solved
the problem. We literally went over every inch of the house, starting at
the basement and foundation line. We stuffed steel wool into *every* crack
that we could find (be sure to look behind the plates around plumbing --
those are primary access routes for mice and other critters). Once all the
holes and cracks were plugged with steel wool, our mouse problems were
solved.

MaryL

Rene S.
June 23rd 08, 07:38 PM
Bryce,

I know how you feel about this. You don't want the mice in your house,
but you don't want to kill them either. You can buy a tiny live trap.
When you empty it, though, drive at LEAST two or more miles away or
the mice can come back. I do this with chipmunks and release them in a
park with woods several miles away. That way, they can live happily
but not infest someone else's house.

Rene

Bryce
June 23rd 08, 09:19 PM
Rene S. wrote:

> Bryce,
>
> I know how you feel about this. You don't want the mice in your house,
> but you don't want to kill them either. You can buy a tiny live trap.
> When you empty it, though, drive at LEAST two or more miles away or
> the mice can come back. I do this with chipmunks and release them in a
> park with woods several miles away. That way, they can live happily
> but not infest someone else's house.
>
> Rene
I tried to live trap mice several years back. Never caught one.

I have a lot of experience with wild animal relocation though. One
of my across-the street neighbors had a skunk living under a storage
shed. The city loaned a live trap. Over the summer, Ray caught
several chipmunks, three raccoons, and an opossum ... but no skunk.
The city's "humane officer" would collect the animals if asked.
I volunteered instead. The chipmunks were set free in my backyard;
may have gone back across the street. I took the other critters
to the county park a few miles away: there's woods and a creek
there. The raccoons accepted the ride without a fuss, but the
'possum growled, hissed, and shook the cage the whole way. I'm
told this is all just bluffing, but I was glad the cage held
together!

Adding new animals to the park is against the law around here.
I figured I could plead ignorance at least the first time.
I don't know what I would have done if we had caught the skunk.
Happy ending: he chose to move on by himself.

Bryce

dejablues[_4_]
June 24th 08, 03:31 AM
"Rene S." > wrote in message
...
> Bryce,
>
> I know how you feel about this. You don't want the mice in your house,
> but you don't want to kill them either.

Oh for God's sake, why *wouldn't* you want to kill mice? Sure they look
cute, but they are vermin, and where there's one mouse, there's ten or a
hundred or more, eating your food , chewing up your house and leaving urine
and feces as they go. Trapping them live and dropping them off elsewhere is
just dumping the problem in someone elses lap.
The cats you share your home with decided to live with people thousands of
years ago because the grain we stored attracted rodents, which we abhor and
the cats love to hunt.
No Mercy when it comes to mice and rats. No Mercy!

dgk
June 25th 08, 07:38 PM
On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 22:31:18 -0400, "dejablues"
> wrote:

>
>"Rene S." > wrote in message
...
>> Bryce,
>>
>> I know how you feel about this. You don't want the mice in your house,
>> but you don't want to kill them either.
>
>Oh for God's sake, why *wouldn't* you want to kill mice? Sure they look
>cute, but they are vermin, and where there's one mouse, there's ten or a
>hundred or more, eating your food , chewing up your house and leaving urine
>and feces as they go. Trapping them live and dropping them off elsewhere is
>just dumping the problem in someone elses lap.
>The cats you share your home with decided to live with people thousands of
>years ago because the grain we stored attracted rodents, which we abhor and
>the cats love to hunt.
>No Mercy when it comes to mice and rats. No Mercy!
>

They're living creatures as well and if they live outside, I have no
problem with that. I have rescued a few mice and baby possums from my
felines and liberated them to roam free, at least until they meet up
with something up the food chain which isn't already overweight.

I've even sent a few mice to college. I live right next to a fairly
large college and have liberated some mice onto their fields. I'm sure
they found a home quickly enough.

I do kill roaches and mosquitos on sight however. And I just had a
very bad time killing carpenter bees; they like to nest in my deck. No
fellas, nest somewhere else. I felt bad about it though; it's too bad
the cats won't go after them. I think they're just too small for the
cats to bother with.