PDA

View Full Version : It's been over a week

Timmy
June 23rd 08, 05:06 AM
My cat got her leg ran over 10 days ago.
It put a scab or scrape on her inner rear
leg.. its healing.. but as her leg was being
ran over, it cracked her back. The dr said
the spinal cord was not severed. she has
motion in both legs, and little tail movement.
She is on her last day of anti-biotics.
one more dose.
She had a shot of anti - inflamitory meds since she dont
do pills very well at all.
The thought of putting her down has crossed my mind.
However, I wanted to get some advice from any
of you out there that might have had this happen,
and the outcome. Has anyone had a cat recover
and walk and take care of her poopy after a cracked back?
Keep in mind, my cat hasnt ate since a week ago friday.
She drinks everyday. Today, she didnt drink much.
She rest ok. Last night.. she threw up some fluid..
it was off color. I dont know what it was.. ie.. blood or vial.
or just upset stomach?
At this moment, i am next to her.. her breathing is.. as far as i can
tell.. normal. she is sleeping. and i have seen her breath like this
before..
so i dont think its abnormal.. but i will keep my eye on that very closely.
I do however, hear a slight gurgle in her breathing.. possibly fluid
building up
in her lungs. She is sneezing trying to clear it out i guess.
In fact, she just woke up to sneeze it out..and it seems clearer now.
She was a very healthy cat when this happened.. and I contribute her
health on this day to that.
I need to know how to get her to eat anything.. or .. is this normal?
An injured cat wont eat. But when is it time to force her? is that
possible?
I dont have money to spend on all the treatments.. so I am totally looking
for home remedies.
I got neosporin for her scrape. and have her imobilized... *another sneeze*.
So, she hasant ate.. drinks little.. and its been 10 days. I can get her to
pur,
but on the other side.. her eyes dont look too happy right now. She tried
to walk.. but her rear legs seperated and she dragged her bottom about a
foot before her rear legs seperated, and she had to stop. I picked her up
and put her on the sofa with a garbage bag under a few towels.. she has to
pee where she is. There has been no off color urine. But like I
mentioned.. she did throw
up off color last night.
Thanks in adavance.
Tim

cshenk
June 23rd 08, 05:14 PM
Timmy, you have to get some food in her now, if it's not too late. Cats
cant handle not eating. It causes a terminal situation with the liver.

Spring for the vet. You may have to have her put to sleep at this stage,
sorry to say. Dont make her suffer.

Rene S.
June 23rd 08, 07:35 PM
Tim,

Your cat is gravely ill, and she possibly has a lot of things going
on. PLEASE go to your vet IMMEDIATELY. At this stage, no home remedies
can help her. Like cshenk said, it may already be too late for her. A
cat not eating for 10 days is very, very dangerous. Generally, you
don't want a cat to go without food for longer than 24-48 hours or
something called fatty liver disease will start to happen. There are
other things you described (raspy breathing) that are serious too.

BTW, purring isn't always a sign of happiness. It can also mean the
cat is in pain or near to death. Please don't delay.

cybercat
June 23rd 08, 10:03 PM
"Rene S." > wrote in message
> Tim,
>
> Your cat is gravely ill, and she possibly has a lot of things going
> on. PLEASE go to your vet IMMEDIATELY. At this stage, no home remedies
> can help her. Like cshenk said, it may already be too late for her. A
> cat not eating for 10 days is very, very dangerous.

Rene, I would not get too upset over this. I don't think there is a cat.

Matthew[_3_]
June 23rd 08, 10:15 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Rene S." > wrote in message
>> Tim,
>>
>> Your cat is gravely ill, and she possibly has a lot of things going
>> on. PLEASE go to your vet IMMEDIATELY. At this stage, no home remedies
>> can help her. Like cshenk said, it may already be too late for her. A
>> cat not eating for 10 days is very, very dangerous.
>
> Rene, I would not get too upset over this. I don't think there is a cat.
Who knows if there is or not but 10 days and the idiot has not gone back to
the vet. WTF

Poor kitty if there is one for having an idiot master.

If there is a cat take the furball back to the vet. There is no such home
remedy for this

CatNipped[_2_]
June 23rd 08, 10:17 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Rene S." > wrote in message
>> Tim,
>>
>> Your cat is gravely ill, and she possibly has a lot of things going
>> on. PLEASE go to your vet IMMEDIATELY. At this stage, no home remedies
>> can help her. Like cshenk said, it may already be too late for her. A
>> cat not eating for 10 days is very, very dangerous.
>
> Rene, I would not get too upset over this. I don't think there is a cat.

Yup. That OP stinks of troll - and it is summer, school is out.

Hugs,

CatNipped

cybercat
June 23rd 08, 10:24 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote
> Yup. That OP stinks of troll - and it is summer, school is out.

Something about the TiMmY gave him away. :)

Lynne
June 23rd 08, 10:34 PM
cybercat wrote:
> "Rene S." > wrote in message
>> Tim,
>>
>> Your cat is gravely ill, and she possibly has a lot of things going
>> on. PLEASE go to your vet IMMEDIATELY. At this stage, no home remedies
>> can help her. Like cshenk said, it may already be too late for her. A
>> cat not eating for 10 days is very, very dangerous.
>
> Rene, I would not get too upset over this. I don't think there is a cat.

My thoughts exactly.

Lame troll.

Paul M. Cook[_2_]
June 23rd 08, 11:26 PM
"Timmy" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> My cat got her leg ran over 10 days ago.
> It put a scab or scrape on her inner rear
> leg.. its healing.. but as her leg was being
> ran over, it cracked her back. The dr said
> the spinal cord was not severed. she has
> motion in both legs, and little tail movement.
> She is on her last day of anti-biotics.
> one more dose.
> She had a shot of anti - inflamitory meds since she dont
> do pills very well at all.
> The thought of putting her down has crossed my mind.
> However, I wanted to get some advice from any
> of you out there that might have had this happen,
> and the outcome. Has anyone had a cat recover
> and walk and take care of her poopy after a cracked back?
> Keep in mind, my cat hasnt ate since a week ago friday.
> She drinks everyday. Today, she didnt drink much.
> She rest ok. Last night.. she threw up some fluid..
> it was off color. I dont know what it was.. ie.. blood or vial.
> or just upset stomach?
> At this moment, i am next to her.. her breathing is.. as far as i can
> tell.. normal. she is sleeping. and i have seen her breath like this
> before..
> so i dont think its abnormal.. but i will keep my eye on that very
> closely.
> I do however, hear a slight gurgle in her breathing.. possibly fluid
> building up
> in her lungs. She is sneezing trying to clear it out i guess.
> In fact, she just woke up to sneeze it out..and it seems clearer now.
> She was a very healthy cat when this happened.. and I contribute her
> health on this day to that.
> I need to know how to get her to eat anything.. or .. is this normal?
> An injured cat wont eat. But when is it time to force her? is that
> possible?
> I dont have money to spend on all the treatments.. so I am totally looking
> for home remedies.
> I got neosporin for her scrape. and have her imobilized... *another
> sneeze*.
> So, she hasant ate.. drinks little.. and its been 10 days. I can get her
> to pur,
> but on the other side.. her eyes dont look too happy right now. She tried
> to walk.. but her rear legs seperated and she dragged her bottom about a
> foot before her rear legs seperated, and she had to stop. I picked her up
> and put her on the sofa with a garbage bag under a few towels.. she has to
> pee where she is. There has been no off color urine. But like I
> mentioned.. she did throw
> up off color last night.
> Thanks in adavance.
> Tim

If this is a real plea for help and not a troll then your cat is so badly
wounded that keeping her alive now is wrong. She may have had a chance with
intense treatemnt by a qualified vet. Fluid in the lungs is the last word
on this, it is a death sentence. If you are not messing with us, then you
need to have your cat seen by a vet and be prepared to have her put down.
As somebody else stated, purring is a sign of pain as well as pleasure. I
would expect intense pain from an injury as you described. Not eating for
10 days is very bad and leads to fatty liver disease which can be lethal.
Your home treatment just is not going to work. I hope you do the right
thing and get her to a vet ASAP.

Paul

cybercat
June 24th 08, 01:19 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On Mon 23 Jun 2008 05:24:00p, cybercat wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav <news:g3p499$39m$1
> @registered.motzarella.org>:
>

>> "CatNipped" > wrote
>>> Yup. That OP stinks of troll - and it is summer, school is out.
>>>

>> Something about the TiMmY gave him away. :)
>>

> I know. But it isn't a troll. Fake nym, but not a troll.

I would have known it if Buzz had not posted in such a trollish way. Damn
trolls. I am really sorry about Patches.

> --
> Cheryl

cybercat
June 24th 08, 01:41 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On Mon 23 Jun 2008 12:06:47a, Timmy wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav <news:[email protected]>:
>
>> I need to know how to get her to eat anything.. or .. is this
>> normal? An injured cat wont eat. But when is it time to force
>> her? is that possible?
>
> if you want to give her a chance, go to the grocery store and buy
> some all meat baby food. make sure there is no onions in it. Try
> putting some on your finger and see if she'll lick it off. if not,
> wipe your finger with the baby food on the roof of her mouth and
> normally she will swallow it. Try to tempt her with real cat food
> during this time, but if that doesn't work at least something will be
> getting in to her. if she doesn't gain her strength enough to heal
> from her injuries, she isn't going to make it. injuries require
> calories in abundance to burn in order for the body to do it's work.
>
> --

You had your cat fed with a feeding tube, right, Cheryl? I wonder
if that might be Buzz's best option not that it has been so long since
Patches has eaten.

BuZZard[_2_]
June 24th 08, 05:14 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>> On Mon 23 Jun 2008 05:24:00p, cybercat wrote in
>> rec.pets.cats.health+behav <news:g3p499$39m$1
>> @registered.motzarella.org>:
>>

>>> "CatNipped" > wrote
>>>>

>>> Something about the TiMmY gave him away. :)
>>>

>> I know. But it isn't a troll. Fake nym, but not a troll.
>>

> I would have known it if Buzz had not posted in such a trollish way. Damn
> trolls. I am really sorry about Patches.

thank you very very much.. seriously.

cybercat
June 24th 08, 05:29 AM
"BuZZard" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Cheryl" > wrote in message
>>> On Mon 23 Jun 2008 05:24:00p, cybercat wrote in
>>> rec.pets.cats.health+behav <news:g3p499$39m$1

>>> I know. But it isn't a troll. Fake nym, but not a troll.
>>>

>> I would have known it if Buzz had not posted in such a trollish way. Damn
>> trolls. I am really sorry about Patches.
>
> thank you very very much.. seriously.
You're welcome. Please keep us posted. We have all been there with very sick
cats. I know it is harder on you the way it happened. I really hope she
pulls through.

BuZZard[_2_]
June 24th 08, 05:50 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "BuZZard" > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]

>>> I would have known it if Buzz had not posted in such a trollish way.
>>> Damn trolls. I am really sorry about Patches.
>>
>> thank you very very much.. seriously.
> You're welcome. Please keep us posted. We have all been there with very
> sick cats. I know it is harder on you the way it happened. I really hope
> she pulls through.

she just tried to walk as i was typing the update post..
she is sitting straight up.. I cant believe what i am seeing!!
I seriously think if i can get her to eat.. that she will heal in the next
six weeks just like the doctor said.
I am giving her theropy.. i move her legs until i feel resistance. and she
pulls back. i keep her front legs exercised.. by rubbing them.. then.. she
curls her feet and pulls my hand towards her. i do this for about 5. 10
mins.
I pat her on the back.. to keep the fluid from building up.. i have been up
with her many a night since it happened.. and have seen her improve alot..
and if there is a chance in hell i can get her to eat. i can see her getting
better. She has motor control over her legs. .but her back wont support her
weight just yet.. she talks to me.. when i ask her how she is doing..
All this is very very good in my head.. she is not gurgle'ing at this
point..
i just got dont beating her chest .. and she allows me to do this without
getting upset. She has allways been a very passive kitty.. and pretty much
allows me to do as i please.. to an extent..
I am very hopeful.. the gf is 8 years younger than myself.. and if it wasnt
for her.. i might have put her down that first day.. however.. i see alot of
improvement. I am praying for a miricle. and .. if I can diagnose her.. i
see her healing .. with a limp in the future.. .with a good four to five
years of life left in her.. and the gf wont have the feeling of guilt .. and
i wont have the feeling of selfishness.

Thank you,
jeff