PDA

View Full Version : Lump in Jasmine's chest! Painful - HELP

June 24th 08, 04:05 AM
I'll get her to the vet in the morning, but in the meantime I'm
literally sick - it just caught me off guard and I'm in complete freak
out mode. (This is why I did not become a vet - I don't do well in
emergencies)

She was fine (age 3, very healthy) playing and messing around. I
picked her up and she squeaked a squeak I've never heard. (She's deaf
and her vocals aren't like other cats) I thought I must have just
picked up at a bad angle or something.

Did it again, and just as she squeaked/squealed (in obvious pain), I
felt a bump, about her sternum..my cat anatomy isn't that good, but
about where I'd imagine her ribs starting. It happened in a flash and
she won't let me touch it again.

In my brief touch, it felt the size of a pea, very prounounced,
perhaps under her skin, but I'm not sure.

I just need to know what this could be (so I can google myself to
death...I won't sleep unless I can calm myself down).

It could haven't been there very long, because I grab her and fling
her around all day long. (in a cuddly way) I always pick her up with
my hand under her front legs (she's petite, I have big hands, and it's
a good fit), grabbing around her ribs.

I know I had her in my hands three or so hours ago because I got the
mail and have to hold her while I get it (or she tries to get out).
This thing came up FAST.

Could she have swallowed something and it's stuck somewhere??? How
could a lump come up that quickly and cause such localized pain.
Otherwise, she seems fine. I put on the laser light and she chased it
like normal. Now she's gone to sleep, but that's not unusual at this
time of night. It was only when I picked her up that it caused her
pain. (or tried to feel it)

She ate some kibble shortly before this happened, but she's good about
chewing her food.

Sorry to be so dramatic....I'm in meltdown.

Juls

cybercat
June 24th 08, 05:32 AM
> wrote>
> It could haven't been there very long, because I grab her and fling
> her around all day long. (in a cuddly way) I always pick her up with
> my hand under her front legs (she's petite, I have big hands, and it's
> a good fit), grabbing around her ribs.

I bet it's an abscess. Try not to worry too much, get some rest
and let us know what the vet says. I think abscesses can swell
that way and cause pains, think big old pimple, you know?

> Sorry to be so dramatic....I'm in meltdown.

You just love your baby, Juls.

June 24th 08, 05:53 AM
On Jun 23, 11:32 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> > wrote>
>
> > It could haven't been there very long, because I grab her and fling
> > her around all day long. (in a cuddly way) I always pick her up with
> > my hand under her front legs (she's petite, I have big hands, and it's
> > a good fit), grabbing around her ribs.
>
> I bet it's an abscess. Try not to worry too much, get some rest
> and let us know what the vet says. I think abscesses can swell
> that way and cause pains, think big old pimple, you know?
>

> > Sorry to be so dramatic....I'm in meltdown.
>
> You just love your baby, Juls.

Thank you! I've been googling like mad, and it seems that most cancers
aren't painful like that. She does romp hard with her big brother, and
I suppose it's possible they got too rough and he bit her.

The other possibility I'm thinking is a big bruise hematoma type
thing. She was trying to catch a bird today, through the window, and
fell hard between the window and the couch. Usually when she falls off
something (and she falls a lot because she's just fearless and crazy)
she pops back up immediately as if nothing happened. But this time,
she actually appeared slightly dazed. So she might have hit her chest
on the window sill.

Other than the sore place, she seems just fine. I got out her can of
kibble just to see if she would be interested, and as soon as she saw
it, she squealed in delight, came flying off the top shelf of the
closet (where she was sleeping) and tried to have some. I was afraid
to let her have anything in case that's a piece of food stuck in her
throat, but I think it's not....it's lower down than I first thought.

Then she loved on Jack, purred, let me scratch her head, and attacked
a shadow puppet on the wall. It obviously doesn't hurt her when she
jumps and attacks, just when I touch it.

I hope she didn't break a rib, but rather that than a cancerous
tumor.

Thanks again for your kind words.

cybercat
June 24th 08, 06:27 AM
> wrote

> Thank you! I've been googling like mad, and it seems that most cancers
> aren't painful like that.

Yes, I read that!

>She does romp hard with her big brother, and
> I suppose it's possible they got too rough and he bit her.
>
> The other possibility I'm thinking is a big bruise hematoma type
> thing. She was trying to catch a bird today, through the window, and
> fell hard between the window and the couch. Usually when she falls off
> something (and she falls a lot because she's just fearless and crazy)
> she pops back up immediately as if nothing happened. But this time,
> she actually appeared slightly dazed. So she might have hit her chest
> on the window sill.

There you go, I bet that is it. Gracie jumped up on a new windowseat
the wrong way a few years ago and developed a limp and would
*wince* when she tried to walk. It was a soft tissue injury, ( a sprain,
just a bad bruise) and hurt bad but was not serious.

> Other than the sore place, she seems just fine. I got out her can of
> kibble just to see if she would be interested, and as soon as she saw
> it, she squealed in delight, came flying off the top shelf of the
> closet (where she was sleeping) and tried to have some. I was afraid
> to let her have anything in case that's a piece of food stuck in her
> throat, but I think it's not....it's lower down than I first thought.
>
> Then she loved on Jack, purred, let me scratch her head, and attacked
> a shadow puppet on the wall. It obviously doesn't hurt her when she
> jumps and attacks, just when I touch it.
>
> I hope she didn't break a rib, but rather that than a cancerous
> tumor.
>
> Thanks again for your kind words.

I bet she will be fine. Gracie got a lump at her injection site, and I was
freaking, thinking "vaccination site sarcoma!) but it went away.

June 24th 08, 06:08 PM
On Jun 24, 12:27 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> > wrote
>
> > Thank you! I've been googling like mad, and it seems that most cancers
> > aren't painful like that.
>
> Yes, I read that!
>
> >She does romp hard with her big brother, and
> > I suppose it's possible they got too rough and he bit her.
>
> > The other possibility I'm thinking is a big bruise hematoma type
> > thing. She was trying to catch a bird today, through the window, and
> > fell hard between the window and the couch. Usually when she falls off
> > something (and she falls a lot because she's just fearless and crazy)
> > she pops back up immediately as if nothing happened. But this time,
> > she actually appeared slightly dazed. So she might have hit her chest
> > on the window sill.
>
> There you go, I bet that is it. Gracie jumped up on a new windowseat
> the wrong way a few years ago and developed a limp and would
> *wince* when she tried to walk. It was a soft tissue injury, ( a sprain,
> just a bad bruise) and hurt bad but was not serious.
>

> > Other than the sore place, she seems just fine. I got out her can of
> > kibble just to see if she would be interested, and as soon as she saw
> > it, she squealed in delight, came flying off the top shelf of the
> > closet (where she was sleeping) and tried to have some. I was afraid
> > to let her have anything in case that's a piece of food stuck in her
> > throat, but I think it's not....it's lower down than I first thought.
>
> > Then she loved on Jack, purred, let me scratch her head, and attacked
> > a shadow puppet on the wall. It obviously doesn't hurt her when she
> > jumps and attacks, just when I touch it.
>
> > I hope she didn't break a rib, but rather that than a cancerous
> > tumor.
>
> > Thanks again for your kind words.
>
> I bet she will be fine. Gracie got a lump at her injection site, and I was
> freaking, thinking "vaccination site sarcoma!) but it went away.

I just love the name Gracie, btw!

Good news - Jas is fine. That lump I was feeling was her sternum.
ROFL. He said it might be cracked, but definitely bruised, and no need
for an xray because you can't splint it. (And didn't think it was
broken in two or anything)

I was so sure it was a tumor at first....good grief. I need a course
in cat anatomy.

She was NOT happy at the vet and hissed and growled. I've never heard
her do that before. She's a fighter. (But it was hurting her, a
thermometer up the butt, plus feeling around on her sore place)

She's happy now. Jack was so worried and loved her up when she got
home. Now they're curled up on the bed together taking a rest. I
haven't even made the bed yet, but won't disturb them.

I guess she hit her sternum on the window sill when she fell
yesterday. She just gets so into what she's doing and gets excited
that she doesn't pay attention to anything else. Then she falls.

I can't tell you how many times she's fallen somewhere....then just
decides to nap. Once, she was playing around on a clothes dresser and
fell a few times between the dresser and the wall. I realized I hadn't
seen her, so went and looked, and she was squooshed between the
dresser and the wall, on her back, legs up. I had to make sure she was
breathing, which woke her up. She fell like that, then just went to
sleep.

Check your email...I'm going to send you a picture of the time she
fell asleep in a box in the closet....it's not a great picture, but
it's funny and shows how she just drops off.

Thanks again for the support,

Juls

blkcatgal
June 24th 08, 07:06 PM
Glad to hear that Jasmine is okay and it was nothing serious.

If it's any consolation to you about worrying about stuff...I once was
looking in my cat's mouth and saw what I thought was a lump on his gum. Of
course, I thought the worst...and made an appt. at the vet. When the vet
looked at it, she said "oh, that's completely normal." Needless to say, I
felt stupid, but my vet told me it was better to check something out and
find out there's no problem rather than ignore it and find out too late that
it is a problem.

S.
---
> [...]
> haven't even made the bed yet, but won't disturb them.
>
> I guess she hit her sternum on the window sill when she fell
> yesterday. She just gets so into what she's doing and gets excited
> that she doesn't pay attention to anything else. Then she falls.
>
> I can't tell you how many times she's fallen somewhere....then just
> decides to nap. Once, she was playing around on a clothes dresser and
> fell a few times between the dresser and the wall. I realized I hadn't
> seen her, so went and looked, and she was squooshed between the
> dresser and the wall, on her back, legs up. I had to make sure she was
> breathing, which woke her up. She fell like that, then just went to
> sleep.
>
> Check your email...I'm going to send you a picture of the time she
> fell asleep in a box in the closet....it's not a great picture, but
> it's funny and shows how she just drops off.

CatNipped[_2_]
June 24th 08, 07:25 PM
"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
. ..
> Glad to hear that Jasmine is okay and it was nothing serious.
>
> If it's any consolation to you about worrying about stuff...I once was
> looking in my cat's mouth and saw what I thought was a lump on his gum.
> Of course, I thought the worst...and made an appt. at the vet. When the
> vet looked at it, she said "oh, that's completely normal." Needless to
> say, I felt stupid, but my vet told me it was better to check something
> out and find out there's no problem rather than ignore it and find out too
> late that it is a problem.
>
> S.

I can top that one. When Archer broke his leg last year, they put him in a
cast for 5 weeks (from his hip all the way down and covering his toes with
tape). When the cast came off I noticed that his paw pads and claws were
black. I immediately panicked and thought he'd gotten gangrene from the
cast being too tight and cutting off circulation to his foot. I rushed him
to the vet babbling incoherently about how could we save his foot from
amputation. The vet took one look at him and used his fingernail to scrape
off the excess dirty sticky stuff from the tape that had just been removed.
Fortunately he didn't charge me the $40 for the office visit and his instant
cure! ;>

Hugs,

CatNipped

June 24th 08, 11:30 PM
Poor Archer!

These stories reminded me of one I'd almost forgotten. A few years
before Dmitri passed, he had a lump on his tail which was removed and
biopsied and turned out to be one of those fatty tumors.

When I rushed him in, I said he has TWO tumors, one on his tail, and
one that almost looks like a tiny testicle. (Size of a pea) The vet
started laughing, and the one that looked like a tiny nut was a
dingleberry.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who freaks out a bit.

cybercat
June 25th 08, 12:45 AM
> wrote
> I just love the name Gracie, btw!

That you. :) That was her shelter name but it really suits her.

> Good news - Jas is fine. That lump I was feeling was her sternum.
> ROFL.

lol

I am so glad, and I know you are relieved.

He said it might be cracked, but definitely bruised, and no need
> for an xray because you can't splint it. (And didn't think it was
> broken in two or anything)

That is exactly what the doc told me when I broke my tail bone!

> I was so sure it was a tumor at first....good grief. I need a course
> in cat anatomy.

Better safe than sorry. All cats should have the kind of care and love
you give Jasmine.

> She was NOT happy at the vet and hissed and growled. I've never heard
> her do that before. She's a fighter. (But it was hurting her, a
> thermometer up the butt, plus feeling around on her sore place)

Gracie is utterly silent, just tries to get vewwy, vewwy small, :) she
makes her legs go away and just has little feet stuck on her belly.
Then she shakes and drools. Total drama queen, haha!

> She's happy now. Jack was so worried and loved her up when she got
> home. Now they're curled up on the bed together taking a rest. I
> haven't even made the bed yet, but won't disturb them.

PICS!!!!

> I guess she hit her sternum on the window sill when she fell
> yesterday. She just gets so into what she's doing and gets excited
> that she doesn't pay attention to anything else. Then she falls.

Exactly what Gracie did in her window seat.

> Check your email...I'm going to send you a picture of the time she
> fell asleep in a box in the closet....it's not a great picture, but
> it's funny and shows how she just drops off.

Ahhh! COOL!

> Thanks again for the support,

Any time, you are a delight and so is Jasmine.