PDA

View Full Version : Privacy problems with VetCentric

M.S.
June 24th 08, 08:40 AM
I was wondering if anyone else has had privacy problems with
VetCentric?

Somehow that company got ahold of my fake/other/non-primary email
address and created an account for me. Then the day after I made an
appointment with my veterinarian I received another email from
VetCentric telling me about the services that my veterinarian has. I
tried to create a real account with VetCentric and it wouldn't allow
it because it said another account had been created using my phone
number. They're obviously talking about the account that I never even
signed up for. I never gave out that email address to my veterinarian.
I have no idea how VetCentric got my email address, knew it belonged
to me, knew my phone number, and knew what veterinarian I go to. I
never even use that email address. I created a gaming account with
that address seven years ago solely because I thought I'd get a ton of
spam, which I was right about. I never use that email address for
anything else. I'm also very careful about what personal information I
give out.

Has anyone else had this happen? Did VetCentric create an account for
you, with your email address, without your permission? I've tried
contacting them to find out what happened but I haven't heard anything
yet.

cybercat
June 24th 08, 03:44 PM
"M.S." > wrote in message
>I was wondering if anyone else has had privacy problems with
> VetCentric?
>
> Somehow that company got ahold of my fake/other/non-primary email
> address and created an account for me. Then the day after I made an
> appointment with my veterinarian I received another email from
> VetCentric telling me about the services that my veterinarian has.

Your vet sold your information, right? How else would "Vetcentric"
(whatever the hell this is) know he is your vet?

M.S.
June 25th 08, 11:25 AM
cybercat wrote:
> "M.S." > wrote in message
> >I was wondering if anyone else has had privacy problems with
> > VetCentric?
> >
> > Somehow that company got ahold of my fake/other/non-primary email
> > address and created an account for me. Then the day after I made an
> > appointment with my veterinarian I received another email from
> > VetCentric telling me about the services that my veterinarian has.
>
> Your vet sold your information, right? How else would "Vetcentric"
> (whatever the hell this is) know he is your vet?

My vet didn't have my email address, so they couldn't have given it to
that company. So my vet didn't sell anyone any information. Besides, I
know my vet is trustworthy.

VetCentric is basically a veterinary pharmacy that works with
veterinarians. I've noticed that a lot of veterinarians are now using
this company. Perhaps to prevent their clients from accidentally
purchasing counterfeit medicine from questionable online pharmacies.
VetCentric also provides healthcare resources, like an encyclopedia of
animal illnesses

cybercat
June 25th 08, 06:46 PM
"M.S." > wrote in message

> cybercat wrote:
>> "M.S." > wrote in message
>> >I was wondering if anyone else has had privacy problems with
>> > VetCentric?
>> >
>> > Somehow that company got ahold of my fake/other/non-primary email
>> > address and created an account for me. Then the day after I made an
>> > appointment with my veterinarian I received another email from
>> > VetCentric telling me about the services that my veterinarian has.
>>
>> Your vet sold your information, right? How else would "Vetcentric"
>> (whatever the hell this is) know he is your vet?
>

> My vet didn't have my email address, so they couldn't have given it to
> that company. So my vet didn't sell anyone any information. Besides, I
> know my vet is trustworthy.
>
> VetCentric is basically a veterinary pharmacy that works with
> veterinarians. I've noticed that a lot of veterinarians are now using
> this company. Perhaps to prevent their clients from accidentally
> purchasing counterfeit medicine from questionable online pharmacies.
> VetCentric also provides healthcare resources, like an encyclopedia of
> animal illnesses

So you got spammed. Big deal.