PDA

View Full Version : Cat Sick


LauraM[_2_]
June 25th 08, 06:56 PM
I'm so distraught. My beloved Hobbes is having problems and is at the
vet right now as I type this post. Yesterday I took him in because he
had been eliminating (#2) outside his litterbox a couple times which
is very unlike him. He's almost 14 and has never done this.

Yesterday I took him in and they checked for diabetes because he lost
almost a pound since January which is really unusual. He's been a
steady 18 pounds (he's a Maine Coon) forever. He's been voraciously
eating lately and has been throwing up in the mornings on occasion.
(More than the norm with trying to get a hairball up and such.) They
had to give him a small enema because the vet felt a hard stool which
he found some straw-like stuff about 5 inches long. I knew that was
from an artificial plant pot and had seen my cat chewing and promptly
removed the stuff. He then proceeded to pass two large normal stools
after that. The vet sent the stool for testing and there are no
parasites.

The vet did say yesterday that if Hobbes threw up this morning that he
would probably need to take further action...meaning some xrays. This
morning he threw up right after I fed him. So he's in the vet's
office right now getting xrays.

I'm just wondering what this could mean? I hope there are no more
strawlike substances in his intestines. I'm also hoping it's not
cancer. His blood work showed an elevation in his white blood cell
count.

I'm so worried. As many of you know, our kitties are our hearts.
He's mine. Thanks for listening.

cshenk
June 25th 08, 07:14 PM
"LauraM" > wrote

> had to give him a small enema because the vet felt a hard stool which
> he found some straw-like stuff about 5 inches long. I knew that was
> from an artificial plant pot and had seen my cat chewing and promptly
> removed the stuff. He then proceeded to pass two large normal stools
> after that. The vet sent the stool for testing and there are no
> parasites.

Good luck Laura and I imagine you've tossed out that offensive planter now.

Rene S.
June 25th 08, 07:21 PM
>
> I'm just wondering what this could mean? *I hope there are no more
> strawlike substances in his intestines. *I'm also hoping it's not
> cancer. *His blood work showed an elevation in his white blood cell
> count.

I've been where you are--my cat ate an entire mouse toy, which was
filled with straw stuff. My Tucker ended up with pancreatitis--not to
scare you, though. Hobbes at the best place right now. If the x-rays
don't show anything, you might consider a barium series (where they
use barium and take photos of the intestinal tract). X-rays don't show
everything, especially if it's not fully blocked.

Also, make sure the vet checks for hypothryoidism. You mentioning the
weight loss and eating a lot, which are symptoms.

Hugs,
Rene

Rene S.
June 25th 08, 09:21 PM
> Also, make sure the vet checks for hypothryoidism. You mentioning the
> weight loss and eating a lot, which are symptoms.

OOPS I meant HYPER thyroidism (over active)!

-Lost
June 25th 08, 09:29 PM
Response to "Rene S." >:

>> Also, make sure the vet checks for hypothryoidism. You mentioning
>> the weight loss and eating a lot, which are symptoms.
>
> OOPS I meant HYPER thyroidism (over active)!

OK, I know I'm picking at you, but it made me giggle.

You noticed hypo/hyper but not thryoid/thyroid? ; )

Hee hee. See ya'.

--
-Lost
Remove the extra words to reply by e-mail. Don't e-mail me. I am
kidding. No I am not.

June 25th 08, 10:59 PM
On Jun 25, 10:56*am, LauraM > wrote:
> I'm so distraught. *My beloved Hobbes is having problems and is at the
> vet right now as I type this post. *Yesterday I took him in because he
> had been eliminating (#2) outside his litterbox a couple times which
> is very unlike him. *He's almost 14 and has never done this.
>
> Yesterday I took him in and they checked for diabetes because he lost
> almost a pound since January which is really unusual. *He's been a
> steady 18 pounds (he's a Maine Coon) forever. *He's been voraciously
> eating lately and has been throwing up in the mornings on occasion.
> (More than the norm with trying to get a hairball up and such.) *They
> had to give him a small enema because the vet felt a hard stool which
> he found some straw-like stuff about 5 inches long. *I knew that was
> from an artificial plant pot and had seen my cat chewing and promptly
> removed the stuff. *He then proceeded to pass two large normal stools
> after that. *The vet sent the stool for testing and there are no
> parasites.
>
> The vet did say yesterday that if Hobbes threw up this morning that he
> would probably need to take further action...meaning some xrays. *This
> morning he threw up right after I fed him. *So he's in the vet's
> office right now getting xrays.
>
> I'm just wondering what this could mean? *I hope there are no more
> strawlike substances in his intestines. *I'm also hoping it's not
> cancer. *His blood work showed an elevation in his white blood cell
> count.
>
> I'm so worried. *As many of you know, our kitties are our hearts.
> He's mine. *Thanks for listening.

You should probably change what you feed Hobbes.And maybe get rid of
the plant.Hope Hobbes gets better!

LauraM[_2_]
June 25th 08, 11:19 PM
On Jun 25, 1:21*pm, "Rene S." > wrote:
> > Also, make sure the vet checks for hypothryoidism. You mentioning the
> > weight loss and eating a lot, which are symptoms.
>
> OOPS I meant HYPER thyroidism (over active)!

My kitty is back home from the vet. The xrays showed more blockage,
so they did another enema. <poor boy> At the end of the stools they
found a bloody stool with a "substance" in it, which translates to
"artificial plant". Evidentally this was in him causing irritation.
He got fluids, a shot of antibiotics and is home now in his sheepskin
bed.

The vet is recommending his same food, TD, and to supplement it with a
small amount of Wellness wet canned food.

He had a hypothydroid test just a few months ago when I took him in
for his teeth cleaning and it came back fine, so he didn't think I
needed to redo that right now. Just to keep an eye on him to make
sure he's passing stools, drinking enough water, and not throwing up.

He's so happy to be home!!! Thanks everyone for your input!

LauraM[_2_]
June 25th 08, 11:19 PM
On Jun 25, 3:19*pm, LauraM > wrote:
> On Jun 25, 1:21*pm, "Rene S." > wrote:
>
> > > Also, make sure the vet checks for hypothryoidism. You mentioning the
> > > weight loss and eating a lot, which are symptoms.
>
> > OOPS I meant HYPER thyroidism (over active)!
>
> My kitty is back home from the vet. * The xrays showed more blockage,
> so they did another enema. *<poor boy> *At the end of the stools they
> found a bloody stool with a "substance" in it, which translates to
> "artificial plant". *Evidentally this was in him causing irritation.
> He got fluids, a shot of antibiotics and is home now in his sheepskin
> bed.
>
> The vet is recommending his same food, TD, and to supplement it with a
> small amount of Wellness wet canned food.
>
> He had a hypothydroid test just a few months ago when I took him in
> for his teeth cleaning and it came back fine, so he didn't think I
> needed to redo that right now. *Just to keep an eye on him to make
> sure he's passing stools, drinking enough water, and not throwing up.
>
> He's so happy to be home!!! *Thanks everyone for your input!

WHOOPS!! I meant HYPERthyroid!!