PDA

View Full Version : Roundworm & Tapeworm treatments

Eddy[_2_]
June 27th 08, 07:19 PM
Hi,

I'm traumatised, . . . but not half as much as the poor cat! I simply
can't do this again. It's not good for either of us. But this is a cat
that occasionally gobbles birds, voles, & shrews and he had tapeworm
quite a lot as a kitten. The trouble is, now that he's 4 years old he's
become strong and strong-mindeded! I do the old trick of getting down
on the floor with ankles crossed at the back, cat inbetween the legs,
right hand on the head, angle head upwards, and pop pills in with left
hand . . . but it is not working like it used to when they were kittens!
Tonight while his teeth and tongue were going like the clappers, making
sure that tablet didn't go down, he sank a tooth into my finger quite
deeply.

Is there some knack I've forgotten?

Is there some new revolutionary way of attending to tapeworm and
roundworm?

There's no way I can mix the tablets up with their food. These cats are
highly intelligent and their noses are extraordinarily sensitive. They
are not to be fooled.

I suppose I could take them to the vet and maybe have them injected with
something, but that would be traumatic for them too, every three months,
as we live about 10 miles from the nearest vet.

Any ideas.

Now, I'm going to go and thoroughly disinfect this wound on my finger!

Eddy.

cybercat
June 27th 08, 07:26 PM
"Eddy" > wrote
> Any ideas.

1. Take your cat to the VET
2. Keep your cat in the house where he is safe and will not pick up
parasites.

Matthew[_3_]
June 27th 08, 07:31 PM
ever tried pill pockets
"Eddy" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm traumatised, . . . but not half as much as the poor cat! I simply
> can't do this again. It's not good for either of us. But this is a cat
> that occasionally gobbles birds, voles, & shrews and he had tapeworm
> quite a lot as a kitten. The trouble is, now that he's 4 years old he's
> become strong and strong-mindeded! I do the old trick of getting down
> on the floor with ankles crossed at the back, cat inbetween the legs,
> right hand on the head, angle head upwards, and pop pills in with left
> hand . . . but it is not working like it used to when they were kittens!
> Tonight while his teeth and tongue were going like the clappers, making
> sure that tablet didn't go down, he sank a tooth into my finger quite
> deeply.
>
> Is there some knack I've forgotten?
>
> Is there some new revolutionary way of attending to tapeworm and
> roundworm?
>
> There's no way I can mix the tablets up with their food. These cats are
> highly intelligent and their noses are extraordinarily sensitive. They
> are not to be fooled.
>
> I suppose I could take them to the vet and maybe have them injected with
> something, but that would be traumatic for them too, every three months,
> as we live about 10 miles from the nearest vet.
>
> Any ideas.
>
> Now, I'm going to go and thoroughly disinfect this wound on my finger!
>
> Eddy.

blkcatgal
June 27th 08, 07:54 PM
Try a pill shooter or pill pockets. Good luck!

S.
---
"Eddy" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm traumatised, . . . but not half as much as the poor cat! I simply
> can't do this again. It's not good for either of us. But this is a cat
> that occasionally gobbles birds, voles, & shrews and he had tapeworm
> quite a lot as a kitten. The trouble is, now that he's 4 years old he's
> become strong and strong-mindeded! I do the old trick of getting down
> on the floor with ankles crossed at the back, cat inbetween the legs,
> right hand on the head, angle head upwards, and pop pills in with left
> hand . . . but it is not working like it used to when they were kittens!
> Tonight while his teeth and tongue were going like the clappers, making
> sure that tablet didn't go down, he sank a tooth into my finger quite
> deeply.
>
> Is there some knack I've forgotten?
>
> Is there some new revolutionary way of attending to tapeworm and
> roundworm?
>
> There's no way I can mix the tablets up with their food. These cats are
> highly intelligent and their noses are extraordinarily sensitive. They
> are not to be fooled.
>
> I suppose I could take them to the vet and maybe have them injected with
> something, but that would be traumatic for them too, every three months,
> as we live about 10 miles from the nearest vet.
>
> Any ideas.
>
> Now, I'm going to go and thoroughly disinfect this wound on my finger!
>
> Eddy.

Rene S.
June 27th 08, 08:21 PM
Hello,

As some have suggested, try Pill Pockets, a soft "treat" you put the
pill inside. Some cats gobble them right up, but others won't fall for
it. It's worth a try.

You can also bring them to the vet and have the vet show you how to
give a pill. Have him demonstrate with an empty capsule, then YOU try
in front of your vet.

Generally, I prefer to pill with the cat on the counter, so he/she is
higher up. I grab the head with one hand and tip it up so his nose
faces the ceiling. With the other hand, I use my pinky to pry the
mouth open (gently, there's a natural gap right behind the canine). I
stuff the pill in as far back as I can. Another trick that works for
me is to put the pill in slightly off center, so he can't immediately
spit it back up.

IMO, it's best to approach the situation calmly and matter-of-factly
and get it over as quickly as possible. Make sure to follow with a
treat or water.

Eddy[_2_]
June 27th 08, 09:02 PM
Rene S. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As some have suggested, try Pill Pockets, a soft "treat" you put the
> pill inside. Some cats gobble them right up, but others won't fall for
> it. It's worth a try.
>
> You can also bring them to the vet and have the vet show you how to
> give a pill. Have him demonstrate with an empty capsule, then YOU try
> in front of your vet.
>
> Generally, I prefer to pill with the cat on the counter, so he/she is
> higher up. I grab the head with one hand and tip it up so his nose
> faces the ceiling. With the other hand, I use my pinky to pry the
> mouth open (gently, there's a natural gap right behind the canine). I
> stuff the pill in as far back as I can. Another trick that works for
> me is to put the pill in slightly off center, so he can't immediately
> spit it back up.
>
> IMO, it's best to approach the situation calmly and matter-of-factly
> and get it over as quickly as possible. Make sure to follow with a
> treat or water.

Thanks, Rene, blkcatgal, & Matthew. I've not heard of tab/pill pockets
before. Will get some. Also, Rene, I note in your description you
glide the head right back to that the nose is pointing directly up
towards the ceiling. I don't think I've been tilting it back that far.
I'll do that as well. Maybe that will stop the teeth and tongues going
like the clappers! Have watched the Cornell video too and it suggests
coating the tablet in peanut butter. Have just tried that with one cat
and he LOVES it. The other doesn't. But I know he loves cream cheese!

Eddy.

Phil P.
June 27th 08, 09:32 PM
"Eddy" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm traumatised, . . . but not half as much as the poor cat! I simply
> can't do this again. It's not good for either of us. But this is a cat
> that occasionally gobbles birds, voles, & shrews and he had tapeworm
> quite a lot as a kitten. The trouble is, now that he's 4 years old he's
> become strong and strong-mindeded! I do the old trick of getting down
> on the floor with ankles crossed at the back, cat inbetween the legs,
> right hand on the head, angle head upwards, and pop pills in with left
> hand . . . but it is not working like it used to when they were kittens!
> Tonight while his teeth and tongue were going like the clappers, making
> sure that tablet didn't go down, he sank a tooth into my finger quite
> deeply.
>
> Is there some knack I've forgotten?
>
> Is there some new revolutionary way of attending to tapeworm and
> roundworm?
>
> There's no way I can mix the tablets up with their food. These cats are
> highly intelligent and their noses are extraordinarily sensitive. They
> are not to be fooled.
>
> I suppose I could take them to the vet and maybe have them injected with
> something, but that would be traumatic for them too, every three months,
> as we live about 10 miles from the nearest vet.
>
> Any ideas.
>
> Now, I'm going to go and thoroughly disinfect this wound on my finger!
>
> Eddy.

This is how you pill a cat.

http://maxshouse.com/Medicating_Your_Cat.htm

The trick is speed. In one fluid motion, tilt the head back, gently press on
both sides the joint of jaw- the mouth will automatically open. Drop the
pill as far back in the mouth as you can so the cat won't taste it. Hold his
chin for a few seconds until you see him swallow. Then follow the pill with
about 6 ml of water or canned food to make sure the pill doesn't become
entrapped in the esophagus. You can also coat the pill with butter or mayo
to mask the taste and make it go down smoothly.

Phil

Eddy[_2_]
June 28th 08, 08:10 PM
Phil P. wrote:

> http://maxshouse.com/Medicating_Your_Cat.htm

Thanks, Phil.

We moved into a new house a year ago and have been refurbishing it from
top to bottom and because we've been so busy I confess I have postponed
the three-monthly round-worm and tape-worm treatments until this week.
Of course, in all that time I have forgotten the intricacies of the
technique! 1. Speed 2. Head of cat right back so mouth drops fully
open.

It's not worth getting out of practice with deworming cats, is it! If
you do, and you forget your technique, it's trauma for the cats and
trauma for you, the owner!

Thanks again.

Eddy.