PDA

View Full Version : Peeing on the Cat Mat

Janet
July 5th 08, 03:21 PM
Last fall I adopted my first cat. She actually appeared on our doorstep
during a torrential rainstorm. She was very, very hungry and ate a chicken
breast and three cans of tuna in about 24 hours, so I don't know how long
she had been out. After keeping her for a couple of days and trying to
discover if anyone was looking for her, I took her to the nearby cat shelter
saying that I would take her if they couldn't find her family. No one could
be found after about a week, so she came home with me. But anyway, that is
neither here nor there. <G> They estimate that she's about 5 yrs old. She
looks as if she's part Maine Coon, longish hair, very pretty, rather vocal.
She seems to have settled in well. She's not a lap cat and usually tries to
avoid being picked up, but she likes to come and lie down on the computer
table or sofa next to me and purr loudly. (Everything on her own terms!)

Anyway, in the last three or four months, although she continues to use her
litterbox to both pee and poop, she occasionally pees on the plastic "cat
mat" doormat thingie right outside her litterbox. It's almost as if she
poops in the box, gets out, realizes that she has to pee, and doesn't want
to bother to get back in the box. When I've taken the mat away, she has peed
on the floor right outside the box at least once or twice. This happens no
more than once a week, very likely only once every two weeks.

Any ideas? I have no experience with cats at all. Other than this, her only
flaw is that she is the Hairball Queen, and apparently one of the small
percentage of cats who is indifferent to catnip, so she won't even look at
the scratching thing I got for her. So I have to keep her front claws
clipped to protect the furniture. Luckily she tolerates this very well.

cybercat
July 5th 08, 05:08 PM
"Janet" > wrote

> Any ideas? I have no experience with cats at all.

Some cats like two boxes, one for pee and one for poo. It's
not that much trouble for you, and since you are new to cats,
let me tell you, it never pays to have a battle of wills with them
over elimination matters. She is trying to tell you something, and
rather politely. Some just pee in the middle of your bed.

Other than this, her only
> flaw is that she is the Hairball Queen, and apparently one of the small
> percentage of cats who is indifferent to catnip, so she won't even look at
> the scratching thing I got for her. So I have to keep her front claws
> clipped to protect the furniture. Luckily she tolerates this very well.

You should clip them anyway, for her comfort. But do look into
an Alpine Scratcher. Something about them--and not the catnip,
either--really appeals. It might be the slant. Good luck!

Janet
July 5th 08, 05:17 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Janet" > wrote
>
>> Any ideas? I have no experience with cats at all.
>
> Some cats like two boxes, one for pee and one for poo. It's
> not that much trouble for you, and since you are new to cats,
> let me tell you, it never pays to have a battle of wills with them
> over elimination matters. She is trying to tell you something, and
> rather politely. Some just pee in the middle of your bed.

If we had two, would they be next to each other, or in different parts of
the house?

cybercat
July 5th 08, 06:07 PM
"Janet" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Janet" > wrote
>>
>>> Any ideas? I have no experience with cats at all.
>>
>> Some cats like two boxes, one for pee and one for poo. It's
>> not that much trouble for you, and since you are new to cats,
>> let me tell you, it never pays to have a battle of wills with them
>> over elimination matters. She is trying to tell you something, and
>> rather politely. Some just pee in the middle of your bed.
>>

> If we had two, would they be next to each other, or in different parts of
> the house?

Since she is peeing on the mat, I would try close by--with room for her
to step out of one and into the other. If she were my cat, I would first try
placing the new box where she peed on the mat. I would be tempted to remove
the mat, as some cats "prefer to pee on fabric." (A direct quote from my
vet,
explaining his years-long effort to persuade one cat NOT to pee on his
bathroom rugs.) Then I would put the poo box a respectable distance
away. But a lot depends on your place. The message should be, THIS
is where you want to pee, find, but do it in the box.

Our tuxedo cat uses her bladder to express displeasure. (One should
never assume this until they have had the cat check for a urinary tract
infection, because that is a common cause of inappropriate peeing.)
I ran out of canned food the other night, and gave her HUMAN
canned salmon, just until I could get more canned in the morning.
(She had a little dry in her dish too.) She went in to where my
husband was working on the computer and peed on his clothes.
She has done this before when she is mad about something, and
gotten rushed off to the vet only to get a clean bill of health.

My point: when cats eliminate inappropriatedly, pee or poo,
the only thing I have found that works every single time is
to confine them for a time to a room with just their box and
food and maybe some toys and a pallet to sleep on. They
are creatures of habit, and are clean, so will not generally pee
on a floor they sleep on.

But do try the second box first, and I assume you have had her
checked for a UTI. If not, please do.

Janet
July 5th 08, 06:56 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Janet" > wrote in message
>>
>> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Janet" > wrote

>>> Some cats like two boxes, one for pee and one for poo. It's
>>> not that much trouble for you, and since you are new to cats,
>>> let me tell you, it never pays to have a battle of wills with them
>>> over elimination matters. She is trying to tell you something, and
>>> rather politely. Some just pee in the middle of your bed.
>>>

>> If we had two, would they be next to each other, or in different parts of
>> the house?
>
> Since she is peeing on the mat, I would try close by--with room for her
> to step out of one and into the other. If she were my cat, I would first
> try
> placing the new box where she peed on the mat. I would be tempted to
> remove
> the mat, as some cats "prefer to pee on fabric." (A direct quote from my
> vet,

It's not a fabric mat, it's something that is made to slip under the entrace
of the litterbox. It is plastic, with texture that is supposed to remove
litter from the cat's feet after exiting the box.

> But do try the second box first, and I assume you have had her
> checked for a UTI. If not, please do.

Since this is something that she does at most once every week or two, and
the rest of the time she pees in the box, I don't see any reason to think it
is a UTI.

cybercat
July 5th 08, 07:00 PM
"Janet" > wrote:

> Since this is something that she does at most once every week or two, and
> the rest of the time she pees in the box, I don't see any reason to think
> it is a UTI.

I missed this part. Does she tend to do it when the box needs cleaning?

Bobblespin
July 5th 08, 07:38 PM
"Janet" > wrote in
:

> Last fall I adopted my first cat. She actually appeared on our
> doorstep during a torrential rainstorm. She was very, very hungry and
> ate a chicken breast and three cans of tuna in about 24 hours, so I
> don't know how long she had been out. After keeping her for a couple
> of days and trying to discover if anyone was looking for her, I took
> her to the nearby cat shelter saying that I would take her if they
> couldn't find her family. No one could be found after about a week, so
> she came home with me. But anyway, that is neither here nor there. <G>
> They estimate that she's about 5 yrs old. She looks as if she's part
> Maine Coon, longish hair, very pretty, rather vocal. She seems to have
> settled in well. She's not a lap cat and usually tries to avoid being
> picked up, but she likes to come and lie down on the computer table or
> sofa next to me and purr loudly. (Everything on her own terms!)
>
> Anyway, in the last three or four months, although she continues to
> use her litterbox to both pee and poop, she occasionally pees on the
> plastic "cat mat" doormat thingie right outside her litterbox. It's
> almost as if she poops in the box, gets out, realizes that she has to
> pee, and doesn't want to bother to get back in the box. When I've
> taken the mat away, she has peed on the floor right outside the box at
> least once or twice. This happens no more than once a week, very
> likely only once every two weeks.
>
> Any ideas? I have no experience with cats at all. Other than this, her
> only flaw is that she is the Hairball Queen, and apparently one of the
> small percentage of cats who is indifferent to catnip, so she won't
> even look at the scratching thing I got for her. So I have to keep her
> front claws clipped to protect the furniture. Luckily she tolerates
> this very well.

Two ideas: I had one cat who refused to do his business in a box that
already had something in it, even if it was his own and even though we
scoop 3 times a day. Problem was solved with an additional box next to
it.
Second: is the box nice and high? I've had some of mine pee over the
edge thinking their bum was inside the litterbox. I use a storage bin
with high sides.

Bobble

Janet
July 5th 08, 07:59 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Janet" > wrote:
>>>>>

>> Since this is something that she does at most once every week or two, and
>> the rest of the time she pees in the box, I don't see any reason to think
>> it is a UTI.
>>

> I missed this part. Does she tend to do it when the box needs cleaning?

I don't know...that is a thought. I guess it depends what you mean by "needs
cleaning"! <G>

Maybe if I scoop more diligently...how often is typical for a one-cat box?

cybercat
July 5th 08, 08:29 PM
"Janet" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Janet" > wrote:
>>>>>>

>>> Since this is something that she does at most once every week or two,
>>> and the rest of the time she pees in the box, I don't see any reason to
>>> think it is a UTI.
>>>

>> I missed this part. Does she tend to do it when the box needs cleaning?
>
> I don't know...that is a thought. I guess it depends what you mean by
> "needs cleaning"! <G>
>
> Maybe if I scoop more diligently...how often is typical for a one-cat box?
I think you need to ask kitty! :) Just kidding ...

I scoop once a day and my cats are fine with it. (They each have a box.)
Others scoop every time the cat goes, but that requires a bit more attention
to kitty's potty habits for me!

For sure, not keeping the box clean enough (in kitty's opinion) can make
for very bad habits. Our tuxedo with "cattitude" was fine until I rebelled
against having to do everything my husband does not want to do, and
insisted he clean her box. He let it get really dirty, she finally had
enough,
and waited until he was IN bed, in freshly laundered linens, and peed
ON him.

They know how to get our attention. Let us know how it goes.

Janet
July 5th 08, 09:33 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Janet" > wrote in message

>>> I missed this part. Does she tend to do it when the box needs cleaning?
>>
>> I don't know...that is a thought. I guess it depends what you mean by
>> "needs cleaning"! <G>
>>
>> Maybe if I scoop more diligently...how often is typical for a one-cat
>> box?
> I think you need to ask kitty! :) Just kidding ...
>
> I scoop once a day and my cats are fine with it. (They each have a box.)
> Others scoop every time the cat goes, but that requires a bit more
> attention
> to kitty's potty habits for me!
>
> For sure, not keeping the box clean enough (in kitty's opinion) can make
> for very bad habits. Our tuxedo with "cattitude" was fine until I rebelled
> against having to do everything my husband does not want to do, and
> insisted he clean her box. He let it get really dirty, she finally had
> enough,
> and waited until he was IN bed, in freshly laundered linens, and peed
> ON him.
>
> They know how to get our attention. Let us know how it goes.

I think we may have the answer. She didn't do this until I got a little lax
and started scooping less than once a day. I shall be more attentive to Miss
Kitty's needs and see what happens!

cybercat
July 6th 08, 01:37 AM
"Janet" > wrote
>> They know how to get our attention. Let us know how it goes.
>
> I think we may have the answer. She didn't do this until I got a little
> lax and started scooping less than once a day. I shall be more attentive
> to Miss Kitty's needs and see what happens!
Let us know. They are so funny, very particular about some things. Notice
how
they stand over you and look like they want to supervise you when you clean
the
box? :)

Good luck!

Stan Brown
July 6th 08, 05:46 AM
Sat, 5 Jul 2008 10:21:29 -0400 from Janet >:
> Other than this, her only
> flaw is that she is the Hairball Queen

Have you tried Hartz Hairball Remedy? It's malt-based, smells like
molasses and really worked for Dexter the Wonder Cat. I qould squeeze
a one-inch ribbon on my finger once or twice a week and let him lick
it off -- he regarded it as a treat.

I bought some to give to Milo as a preventive.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

Spot[_2_]
July 6th 08, 04:05 PM
It could be that she's not intentionally doing it but missing the edge of
the box when going. One of my cats likes to stand on the edge of the box
when going rather than in the litter. Occasionally he's facing the wrong
way when he pees and it lands outside the box. I fixed the solution by
having the litter box located inside of an old plastic pet taxi. This way
when it happens the pee is contained and I just scrub it up.

Celeste

"Janet" > wrote in message
> Last fall I adopted my first cat. She actually appeared on our doorstep
> during a torrential rainstorm. She was very, very hungry and ate a chicken
> breast and three cans of tuna in about 24 hours, so I don't know how long
> she had been out. After keeping her for a couple of days and trying to
> discover if anyone was looking for her, I took her to the nearby cat
> shelter saying that I would take her if they couldn't find her family. No
> one could be found after about a week, so she came home with me. But
> anyway, that is neither here nor there. <G> They estimate that she's about
> 5 yrs old. She looks as if she's part Maine Coon, longish hair, very
> pretty, rather vocal. She seems to have settled in well. She's not a lap
> cat and usually tries to avoid being picked up, but she likes to come and
> lie down on the computer table or sofa next to me and purr loudly.
> (Everything on her own terms!)
>
> Anyway, in the last three or four months, although she continues to use
> her litterbox to both pee and poop, she occasionally pees on the plastic
> "cat mat" doormat thingie right outside her litterbox. It's almost as if
> she poops in the box, gets out, realizes that she has to pee, and doesn't
> want to bother to get back in the box. When I've taken the mat away, she
> has peed on the floor right outside the box at least once or twice. This
> happens no more than once a week, very likely only once every two weeks.
>
> Any ideas? I have no experience with cats at all. Other than this, her
> only flaw is that she is the Hairball Queen, and apparently one of the
> small percentage of cats who is indifferent to catnip, so she won't even
> look at the scratching thing I got for her. So I have to keep her front
> claws clipped to protect the furniture. Luckily she tolerates this very
> well.

Janet
July 6th 08, 08:03 PM
"Stan Brown" > wrote in message
t...
> Sat, 5 Jul 2008 10:21:29 -0400 from Janet >:
>> Other than this, her only
>> flaw is that she is the Hairball Queen
>
> Have you tried Hartz Hairball Remedy? It's malt-based, smells like
> molasses and really worked for Dexter the Wonder Cat. I qould squeeze
> a one-inch ribbon on my finger once or twice a week and let him lick
> it off -- he regarded it as a treat.
>
> I bought some to give to Milo as a preventive.

Yes--she didn't like it. I resorted to putting it on her foot, and she would
first run off with a bizarre gait--"Help, HELP! She's put flesh-eating acid
on my foot!--and then lick it off. I found some Friskies treats that
incorporated it that she loved, but after 6 months or so she lost her taste
for them. Now I have her on food that is supposed to help. It is either
helping, or it is the season.

Which reminds me: I need to get out the furminator and give her a going
over. Nail-clipping she doesn't mind. Combing is more problematic.

Janet
July 13th 08, 12:43 PM
Well, I've been assiduously cleaning the box several times per day, and
sometime early this morning she peed on the mat again. I noted that there
was a small area of fresh pee/clumped litter right up against the edge of
the box by the mat--this was easy to discern since the box was otherwise
pristine--which leads me to think that as some people suggested she simply
didn't go far enough into the box and it was an accident. She's a rather
long cat, I'm told, so this makes some sense.

I have to have a covered box because of the dog, but if she's peeing with
her bottom halfway out the door, she would indeed hit the mat. Oh well. As
long as she confines her occasional "mistakes" to the cat mat, it's not that
big a deal.

cybercat
July 13th 08, 04:55 PM
"Janet" > wrote in message
> Well, I've been assiduously cleaning the box several times per day, and
> sometime early this morning she peed on the mat again. I noted that there
> was a small area of fresh pee/clumped litter right up against the edge of
> the box by the mat--this was easy to discern since the box was otherwise
> pristine--which leads me to think that as some people suggested she simply
> didn't go far enough into the box and it was an accident. She's a rather
> long cat, I'm told, so this makes some sense.
>
> I have to have a covered box because of the dog, but if she's peeing with
> her bottom halfway out the door, she would indeed hit the mat. Oh well. As
> long as she confines her occasional "mistakes" to the cat mat, it's not
> that big a deal.

Thanks for the update! Maybe you will come upon a longer cat box that has a
cover. Don't you find that it's a less unpleasant job to clean the box more
often? It's nobody's favorite job, but much better when the box is not very
dirty.

Janet
July 13th 08, 07:22 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Janet" > wrote in message
>> Well, I've been assiduously cleaning the box several times per day, and
>> sometime early this morning she peed on the mat again. I noted that there
>> was a small area of fresh pee/clumped litter right up against the edge of
>> the box by the mat--this was easy to discern since the box was otherwise
>> pristine--which leads me to think that as some people suggested she
>> simply didn't go far enough into the box and it was an accident. She's a
>> rather long cat, I'm told, so this makes some sense.
>>
>> I have to have a covered box because of the dog, but if she's peeing with
>> her bottom halfway out the door, she would indeed hit the mat. Oh well.
>> As long as she confines her occasional "mistakes" to the cat mat, it's
>> not that big a deal.
>
> Thanks for the update! Maybe you will come upon a longer cat box that has
> a cover. Don't you find that it's a less unpleasant job to clean the box
> more often? It's nobody's favorite job, but much better when the box is
> not very dirty.

Oh, definitely. Although I wasn't letting it go more than a day or two--I
think the cover lends itself to an "out of sight, out of mind" mentality!
I'm going to be on the lookout for a longer box, although this one was
fairly large in comparison to the others, IIRC.

cybercat
July 13th 08, 08:50 PM
"Janet" > wrote
> Oh, definitely. Although I wasn't letting it go more than a day or two--I
> think the cover lends itself to an "out of sight, out of mind" mentality!

I was going to mention this. I keep one cat box in my bedroom, uncovered
(no doggies in the house to partake of the salad bar!) front and center.

My sister and others who are used to the convention of putting them in the
bathroom kitchen look askance, but it works for me.

I started this after my very polite Gracie left me a little poo on the FRONT
STAIRS, in other words, where she was sure I would get it! Sure enough, the
box needed cleaning. I had it away in a corner and had just forgotten about
it. (What is funny is, she squeezed off one little token turd! Just to get
the message across, I guess! I heard her trying to cover it and found it
right away. Come to think of it, I wonder if it was just an errant clingon?
lol) Boo's box is in the utility room, but it is also a half bath and
laundry room so we are in there a bunch.

Elbies_mom via CatKB.com
July 14th 08, 05:39 AM
Hi everyone, Elbie and I are new here so please bare with us if we are on the
outside of the box looking in.. OOOOOOPs..
Janet I would try a couple of things.. CHANGE THE MAT.. get that pee mat
out of there.. Kitty is still smelling the pee on it.. EVEN IF YOU THINK YOU
CLEANED IT.. she can still smell it, try a new mat or no mat. Try throwing a
scoop of litter on the pee and putting it BACK in the box so Kitty can smell
where her own pee should be.. I have 3 indoor cats and 2 out door cats.
Elbie wont use a dirty box.. he will come tell me to clean it before he would
dream of doing his business on the floor, BB is a side of the box kind of cat
so we have a HIGH box, BB will go outside the box if it's not clean enough or
if Elbie has just used it...Puff like BB will use the matt beside the box if
its not clean enough.
As for the hairball issue someone mentioned.. a tbsp of olive oil on
kitties food now and then works great.. a blob of vasaline on kitties front
foot and kitty will spend 15 mins or so licking it off.. it has no taste but
cats hate it on their feet.. GOOD LUCK WITH YOU KITTY

--
A house is not a home without a cat or 15!!!!!

---MIKE---
July 14th 08, 11:40 AM
Could it be that kitty doesn't want to go all the way into the covered
box because of the smell?

---MIKE---