PDA

View Full Version : Halloween party II

William Hamblen
October 30th 04, 03:52 PM
On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 12:34:36 +0000 (UTC), David Stevenson
> wrote:

> Surely Halloween is tonight, ht e31st?

If you don't want to go to work early Monday morning after staying up
late you have the party Friday or Saturday night. It's only
practical.

William Hamblen
October 30th 04, 03:52 PM
On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 12:34:36 +0000 (UTC), David Stevenson
> wrote:

> Surely Halloween is tonight, ht e31st?

If you don't want to go to work early Monday morning after staying up
late you have the party Friday or Saturday night. It's only
practical.

William Hamblen
October 30th 04, 03:52 PM
On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 12:34:36 +0000 (UTC), David Stevenson
> wrote:

> Surely Halloween is tonight, ht e31st?

If you don't want to go to work early Monday morning after staying up
late you have the party Friday or Saturday night. It's only
practical.

Christina Websell
October 31st 04, 04:30 AM
I was the only one that went as a cat. A lot of the women went as witches,
with varied costumes and they all looked great, some with cobweb shawls.
Some of the men had some good ideas, vampires etc. One had a special mask
that poured fake blood into it, like he was really a vampire
It was a lovely party, everyone made an effort to go along with the theme.
We had two Hannibal Lectors (sp) loads of witches and some unsavoury types
in cloaks. Only one cat though.

It is horribly late now 0513 am. I had a a really good time at the party
though, and now I really have to go to bed. Lots of people wanted to stroke
my fur.
Some pics were taken, some on a digicam (owner doesn't have a computer)
and when asked if there was a disk to go with the camera, she had no idea.
Some other pics were taken with ordinary film. These will need to be
developed and scanned in.

Tweed
hic

David Stevenson
October 31st 04, 12:34 PM
Christina Websell wrote

--
David Stevenson Storypage: http://blakjak.com/sty_menu.htm
Liverpool, England, UK > Emails welcome

David Stevenson
October 31st 04, 12:34 PM
Christina Websell wrote
>I was the only one that went as a cat. A lot of the women went as witches,
>with varied costumes and they all looked great, some with cobweb shawls.
>Some of the men had some good ideas, vampires etc. One had a special mask
>that poured fake blood into it, like he was really a vampire
>It was a lovely party, everyone made an effort to go along with the theme.
>We had two Hannibal Lectors (sp) loads of witches and some unsavoury types
>in cloaks. Only one cat though.
>
>It is horribly late now 0513 am. I had a a really good time at the party
>though, and now I really have to go to bed. Lots of people wanted to stroke
>my fur.
>Some pics were taken, some on a digicam (owner doesn't have a computer)
>and when asked if there was a disk to go with the camera, she had no idea.
>Some other pics were taken with ordinary film. These will need to be
>developed and scanned in.

Surely Halloween is tonight, ht e31st?

--
David Stevenson Storypage: http://blakjak.com/sty_menu.htm
Liverpool, England, UK > Emails welcome
Nanki Poo: SI O+W B 11 Y L+ W++ C+ I T+ A- E H++ V- F Q P+ B+ PA+ PL SC
Minke: SI W+Cp B 2 Y L W+ C++ I T A- E H++ V++ F- Q- P B PA+ PL+ SC-

David Stevenson
October 31st 04, 12:34 PM
Christina Websell wrote
>I was the only one that went as a cat. A lot of the women went as witches,
>with varied costumes and they all looked great, some with cobweb shawls.
>Some of the men had some good ideas, vampires etc. One had a special mask
>that poured fake blood into it, like he was really a vampire
>It was a lovely party, everyone made an effort to go along with the theme.
>We had two Hannibal Lectors (sp) loads of witches and some unsavoury types
>in cloaks. Only one cat though.
>
>It is horribly late now 0513 am. I had a a really good time at the party
>though, and now I really have to go to bed. Lots of people wanted to stroke
>my fur.
>Some pics were taken, some on a digicam (owner doesn't have a computer)
>and when asked if there was a disk to go with the camera, she had no idea.
>Some other pics were taken with ordinary film. These will need to be
>developed and scanned in.

Surely Halloween is tonight, ht e31st?

--
David Stevenson Storypage: http://blakjak.com/sty_menu.htm
Liverpool, England, UK > Emails welcome
Nanki Poo: SI O+W B 11 Y L+ W++ C+ I T+ A- E H++ V- F Q P+ B+ PA+ PL SC
Minke: SI W+Cp B 2 Y L W+ C++ I T A- E H++ V++ F- Q- P B PA+ PL+ SC-

Sherry
October 31st 04, 04:53 PM
>Surely Halloween is tonight, ht e31st?
>
>--
>David Stevenson Storypage:

Yes, but I think most communities scheduled trick-or-treat and parties for
Saturday night. It just makes so much more sense -- the little goblins also get
an extra hour of sunlight on Sat. night. due to Daylight Savings time. Most of
the activities here in this community have evolved where they don't have
anything to do with Halloween anyway. It's just Trick-or-Treat for the little
ones, and Harvest Carnivals or Fall Festivals. The word "Halloween" isn't even
used here anymore to describe the activities. (I mean in this little community,
not the whole US)
Sherry

Sherry
October 31st 04, 04:53 PM
>Surely Halloween is tonight, ht e31st?
>
>--
>David Stevenson Storypage:

Yes, but I think most communities scheduled trick-or-treat and parties for
Saturday night. It just makes so much more sense -- the little goblins also get
an extra hour of sunlight on Sat. night. due to Daylight Savings time. Most of
the activities here in this community have evolved where they don't have
anything to do with Halloween anyway. It's just Trick-or-Treat for the little
ones, and Harvest Carnivals or Fall Festivals. The word "Halloween" isn't even
used here anymore to describe the activities. (I mean in this little community,
not the whole US)
Sherry

Sherry
October 31st 04, 04:53 PM
>Surely Halloween is tonight, ht e31st?
>
>--
>David Stevenson Storypage:

Yes, but I think most communities scheduled trick-or-treat and parties for
Saturday night. It just makes so much more sense -- the little goblins also get
an extra hour of sunlight on Sat. night. due to Daylight Savings time. Most of
the activities here in this community have evolved where they don't have
anything to do with Halloween anyway. It's just Trick-or-Treat for the little
ones, and Harvest Carnivals or Fall Festivals. The word "Halloween" isn't even
used here anymore to describe the activities. (I mean in this little community,
not the whole US)
Sherry

David Stevenson
November 11th 04, 12:29 PM
William Hamblen wrote
>On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 12:34:36 +0000 (UTC), David Stevenson
> wrote:
>
>> Surely Halloween is tonight, ht e31st?
>
>If you don't want to go to work early Monday morning after staying up
>late you have the party Friday or Saturday night. It's only
>practical.

My experience is that people are not practical in such matters. I
have heard of people who cannot go and play bridge for the weekend
because of a wedding anniversary or wife's birthday. If they cannot
celebrate those a day late or early how can they move Halloween?

--
David Stevenson Storypage: http://blakjak.com/sty_menu.htm
Liverpool, England, UK > Emails welcome
Nanki Poo: SI O+W B 11 Y L+ W++ C+ I T+ A- E H++ V- F Q P+ B+ PA+ PL SC
Minke: SI W+Cp B 2 Y L W+ C++ I T A- E H++ V++ F- Q- P B PA+ PL+ SC-

David Stevenson
November 11th 04, 12:29 PM
William Hamblen wrote
>On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 12:34:36 +0000 (UTC), David Stevenson
> wrote:
>
>> Surely Halloween is tonight, ht e31st?
>
>If you don't want to go to work early Monday morning after staying up
>late you have the party Friday or Saturday night. It's only
>practical.

My experience is that people are not practical in such matters. I
have heard of people who cannot go and play bridge for the weekend
because of a wedding anniversary or wife's birthday. If they cannot
celebrate those a day late or early how can they move Halloween?

--
David Stevenson Storypage: http://blakjak.com/sty_menu.htm
Liverpool, England, UK > Emails welcome
Nanki Poo: SI O+W B 11 Y L+ W++ C+ I T+ A- E H++ V- F Q P+ B+ PA+ PL SC
Minke: SI W+Cp B 2 Y L W+ C++ I T A- E H++ V++ F- Q- P B PA+ PL+ SC-

Yowie
November 11th 04, 09:08 PM
"David Stevenson" > wrote in message
> William Hamblen wrote
> >On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 12:34:36 +0000 (UTC), David Stevenson
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Surely Halloween is tonight, ht e31st?
> >
> >If you don't want to go to work early Monday morning after staying up
> >late you have the party Friday or Saturday night. It's only
> >practical.
>
> My experience is that people are not practical in such matters. I
> have heard of people who cannot go and play bridge for the weekend
> because of a wedding anniversary or wife's birthday. If they cannot
> celebrate those a day late or early how can they move Halloween?

It depends whether the the party is more important than the date or vice
versa.

For example, for many years, my family celebrated Chapmas (which was held
sometime after Christmas) rather than Christmas itself. We did that because
none of our family are particularly religious and therefore the actual date
of the 25th of December wasn't particularly important, the point of the
excercise for us was the gathering of the family. The fact that my sister's
husband's family, and, at the time, my ex's family considered the date
significant made it easier for us to go do *Christmas* with them, and let us
have Chapmas with our family without the mad rush around and having to eat
two different Christmas meals.

So if the 31st of October is significant to you, then you'd celebrate that
day on the 31st. If the occasion is just a good excuse for a theme party and
the exact date not particularly special, then you'd hold the party whenever
was most convenient.

I can't see a conflict.

Yowie

---

Yowie
November 11th 04, 09:08 PM
"David Stevenson" > wrote in message
> William Hamblen wrote
> >On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 12:34:36 +0000 (UTC), David Stevenson
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Surely Halloween is tonight, ht e31st?
> >
> >If you don't want to go to work early Monday morning after staying up
> >late you have the party Friday or Saturday night. It's only
> >practical.
>
> My experience is that people are not practical in such matters. I
> have heard of people who cannot go and play bridge for the weekend
> because of a wedding anniversary or wife's birthday. If they cannot
> celebrate those a day late or early how can they move Halloween?

It depends whether the the party is more important than the date or vice
versa.

For example, for many years, my family celebrated Chapmas (which was held
sometime after Christmas) rather than Christmas itself. We did that because
none of our family are particularly religious and therefore the actual date
of the 25th of December wasn't particularly important, the point of the
excercise for us was the gathering of the family. The fact that my sister's
husband's family, and, at the time, my ex's family considered the date
significant made it easier for us to go do *Christmas* with them, and let us
have Chapmas with our family without the mad rush around and having to eat
two different Christmas meals.

So if the 31st of October is significant to you, then you'd celebrate that
day on the 31st. If the occasion is just a good excuse for a theme party and
the exact date not particularly special, then you'd hold the party whenever
was most convenient.

I can't see a conflict.

Yowie

---

Christina Websell
November 11th 04, 09:23 PM
"Yowie" > wrote in message
> "David Stevenson" > wrote in message
>> William Hamblen wrote

>> >If you don't want to go to work early Monday morning after staying up
>> >late you have the party Friday or Saturday night. It's only
>> >practical.
>>
>> My experience is that people are not practical in such matters. I
>> have heard of people who cannot go and play bridge for the weekend
>> because of a wedding anniversary or wife's birthday. If they cannot
>> celebrate those a day late or early how can they move Halloween?
>
> It depends whether the the party is more important than the date or vice
> versa.
>
> For example, for many years, my family celebrated Chapmas (which was held
> sometime after Christmas) rather than Christmas itself. We did that
> because
> none of our family are particularly religious and therefore the actual
> date
> of the 25th of December wasn't particularly important, the point of the
> excercise for us was the gathering of the family. The fact that my
> sister's
> husband's family, and, at the time, my ex's family considered the date
> significant made it easier for us to go do *Christmas* with them, and let
> us
> have Chapmas with our family without the mad rush around and having to eat
> two different Christmas meals.
>
> So if the 31st of October is significant to you, then you'd celebrate that
> day on the 31st. If the occasion is just a good excuse for a theme party
> and
> the exact date not particularly special, then you'd hold the party
> whenever
> was most convenient.
>
> I can't see a conflict.
>
> Yowie

Saturday evening was best, in case we all had sore heads in the morning and
didn't want to get up. I didn't go to bed until 7 a.m. <groan when I woke>
Firework parties are the same. Guy Fawkes night, November 5th, a peculiar
British tradition. If it happens to fall during the week, it's almost
always celebrated either the weekend before - should it be perhaps Monday,
Tuesday or Wednesday, or the weekend after if its on a Thursday or Friday.
Birthdays cannot be moved. If you were born on a certain day, then that's
when its celebrated. Mine is December 1st. I never go to work on that day
if it happens to be Mon-Fri, I always take a day's leave.

Tweed

Christina Websell
November 11th 04, 09:23 PM
"Yowie" > wrote in message
> "David Stevenson" > wrote in message
>> William Hamblen wrote

>> >If you don't want to go to work early Monday morning after staying up
>> >late you have the party Friday or Saturday night. It's only
>> >practical.
>>
>> My experience is that people are not practical in such matters. I
>> have heard of people who cannot go and play bridge for the weekend
>> because of a wedding anniversary or wife's birthday. If they cannot
>> celebrate those a day late or early how can they move Halloween?
>
> It depends whether the the party is more important than the date or vice
> versa.
>
> For example, for many years, my family celebrated Chapmas (which was held
> sometime after Christmas) rather than Christmas itself. We did that
> because
> none of our family are particularly religious and therefore the actual
> date
> of the 25th of December wasn't particularly important, the point of the
> excercise for us was the gathering of the family. The fact that my
> sister's
> husband's family, and, at the time, my ex's family considered the date
> significant made it easier for us to go do *Christmas* with them, and let
> us
> have Chapmas with our family without the mad rush around and having to eat
> two different Christmas meals.
>
> So if the 31st of October is significant to you, then you'd celebrate that
> day on the 31st. If the occasion is just a good excuse for a theme party
> and
> the exact date not particularly special, then you'd hold the party
> whenever
> was most convenient.
>
> I can't see a conflict.
>
> Yowie

Saturday evening was best, in case we all had sore heads in the morning and
didn't want to get up. I didn't go to bed until 7 a.m. <groan when I woke>
Firework parties are the same. Guy Fawkes night, November 5th, a peculiar
British tradition. If it happens to fall during the week, it's almost
always celebrated either the weekend before - should it be perhaps Monday,
Tuesday or Wednesday, or the weekend after if its on a Thursday or Friday.
Birthdays cannot be moved. If you were born on a certain day, then that's
when its celebrated. Mine is December 1st. I never go to work on that day
if it happens to be Mon-Fri, I always take a day's leave.

Tweed

Jo Firey
November 11th 04, 11:07 PM
"Yowie" > wrote in message
> "David Stevenson" > wrote in message
>> William Hamblen wrote

>> >If you don't want to go to work early Monday morning after staying up
>> >late you have the party Friday or Saturday night. It's only
>> >practical.
>>
>> My experience is that people are not practical in such matters. I
>> have heard of people who cannot go and play bridge for the weekend
>> because of a wedding anniversary or wife's birthday. If they cannot
>> celebrate those a day late or early how can they move Halloween?
>
> It depends whether the the party is more important than the date or vice
> versa.
>
> For example, for many years, my family celebrated Chapmas (which was held
> sometime after Christmas) rather than Christmas itself. We did that
> because
> none of our family are particularly religious and therefore the actual
> date
> of the 25th of December wasn't particularly important, the point of the
> excercise for us was the gathering of the family. The fact that my
> sister's
> husband's family, and, at the time, my ex's family considered the date
> significant made it easier for us to go do *Christmas* with them, and let
> us
> have Chapmas with our family without the mad rush around and having to eat
> two different Christmas meals.
>
> So if the 31st of October is significant to you, then you'd celebrate that
> day on the 31st. If the occasion is just a good excuse for a theme party
> and
> the exact date not particularly special, then you'd hold the party
> whenever
> was most convenient.
>
> I can't see a conflict.
>
> Yowie

Still it bothers we when places have Mardi Gras parties after the actual
date. Sure I realize any excuse for a party is a good excuse. And very few
seem to know or care what Mardi Gras is. I'm not even Catholic but it
bothers me to see them having late Mardi Gras parties during Lent.

And to show how not everyone views significant dates in the same way.
Charlie and I were traveling cross country and happened to be staying with
relatives on our first wedding anniversary. He decided we should not
mention it since it would make them feel obligated in some way. That we
would celebrate on our own later. Thirty seven years later and I will at
least now admit he had a point, but it still ticks me off a little.

Jo

Jo Firey
November 11th 04, 11:07 PM