PDA

View Full Version : Cloth-eating cat

MY
July 8th 08, 10:30 AM
My cat likes to eat fabric pieces, particularly string-like ones, as
well as her own hair. I've lost tens of clothing items including some
blouses (worst-hit bits being the sleeves), socks, scarves, etc. Does
anyone know what causes this habit and how can I possibly change this
behaviour? Thanks!

CatNipped[_2_]
July 8th 08, 01:53 PM
"MY" > wrote in message
> My cat likes to eat fabric pieces, particularly string-like ones, as
> well as her own hair. I've lost tens of clothing items including some
> blouses (worst-hit bits being the sleeves), socks, scarves, etc. Does
> anyone know what causes this habit and how can I possibly change this
> behaviour? Thanks!

It's called "Pica" (which humans get also). Here's a site about it:
http://www.manhattancats.com/Articles/PICA.htm

Please be sure to remove all strings and rubber bands from her environment -
they can get caught in the intestines, twisting and tearing, and can be
fatal.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Rene S.
July 9th 08, 03:28 PM
As Catnipped said, the condition is called pica. I'd also suggest
taking her to the vet for a blood panel, to make sure she doesn't have
any problems.

I would advise that you put away/store as much of the clothing and
tempting items as possible to remove the temptation. String like items
are especially dangerous and can cause internal damage. I would also
inspect her own cat toys and cut off strings or other fabric pieces.
(Can you tell I have a cat who did this, and ended up getting
pancreatitis due to the stress on his digestive system?)