PDA

View Full Version : Boo has a breast lump

cybercat
July 9th 08, 03:43 AM
This is our tuxedo girl, age 13, hyperthyroid treated with Tapazole, and
arhythmia with propanolol. She was obese and age 5 when we got her, I got
her down to a good weight over a year's time a few years ago.

I picked her up this afternoon and felt it, looked closely (that went over
big, lol!) and it is a very round, symetrical, hard ball maybe 1/2 an inch
from her nipple. It feels big to me, baby-pea size, that is pretty big on a
little cat. It was NOT there a month ago, maybe not even two weeks ago. (We
handle her a lot.) I could not find any other lumps, though I tried until I
feared for my life. (Boo can turn you to dust with a single glare if she
wants. She's never actually done it but I know know she can. She does not
just complain and try to wriggle away, she stiffarms you and stares like,
"WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING? ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND? TAKE
YOUR NASTY HUMAN HANDS OFF ME. RIGHT NOW!)

I have been reading in the archives about lumps like this, and just like
with humans, it seems they can be cysts, boils, benign or malignant tumors,
or even just infections, like abcesses.

We would appreciate your good thoughts. She sees the vet tomorrow afternoon,
first available appointment. I picked the one she likes the best.

Spot[_2_]
July 9th 08, 04:34 AM
I wouldn't panick just yet. I had a 13 year old who had tons of lumps all
over starting around the age of 8. They were nothing more than fatty cyst.
Even now my 11 year old tom has some fatty bumps.

Celeste

"cybercat" > wrote in message
> This is our tuxedo girl, age 13, hyperthyroid treated with Tapazole, and
> arhythmia with propanolol. She was obese and age 5 when we got her, I got
> her down to a good weight over a year's time a few years ago.
>
> I picked her up this afternoon and felt it, looked closely (that went over
> big, lol!) and it is a very round, symetrical, hard ball maybe 1/2 an inch
> from her nipple. It feels big to me, baby-pea size, that is pretty big on
> a little cat. It was NOT there a month ago, maybe not even two weeks ago.
> (We handle her a lot.) I could not find any other lumps, though I tried
> until I feared for my life. (Boo can turn you to dust with a single glare
> if she wants. She's never actually done it but I know know she can. She
> does not just complain and try to wriggle away, she stiffarms you and
> stares like, "WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING? ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR
> MIND? TAKE YOUR NASTY HUMAN HANDS OFF ME. RIGHT NOW!)
>
> I have been reading in the archives about lumps like this, and just like
> with humans, it seems they can be cysts, boils, benign or malignant
> tumors, or even just infections, like abcesses.
>
> We would appreciate your good thoughts. She sees the vet tomorrow
> afternoon, first available appointment. I picked the one she likes the
> best.

blkcatgal
July 9th 08, 04:41 AM
Keeping good thoughts for Boo. Hope the lump turns out to be nothing to be
concerned about. Let us know what happens at the vet tomorrow.

S.
---
"cybercat" > wrote in message
> This is our tuxedo girl, age 13, hyperthyroid treated with Tapazole, and
> arhythmia with propanolol. She was obese and age 5 when we got her, I got
> her down to a good weight over a year's time a few years ago.
>
> I picked her up this afternoon and felt it, looked closely (that went over
> big, lol!) and it is a very round, symetrical, hard ball maybe 1/2 an inch
> from her nipple. It feels big to me, baby-pea size, that is pretty big on
> a little cat. It was NOT there a month ago, maybe not even two weeks ago.
> (We handle her a lot.) I could not find any other lumps, though I tried
> until I feared for my life. (Boo can turn you to dust with a single glare
> if she wants. She's never actually done it but I know know she can. She
> does not just complain and try to wriggle away, she stiffarms you and
> stares like, "WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING? ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR
> MIND? TAKE YOUR NASTY HUMAN HANDS OFF ME. RIGHT NOW!)
>
> I have been reading in the archives about lumps like this, and just like
> with humans, it seems they can be cysts, boils, benign or malignant
> tumors, or even just infections, like abcesses.
>
> We would appreciate your good thoughts. She sees the vet tomorrow
> afternoon, first available appointment. I picked the one she likes the
> best.

-Lost
July 9th 08, 06:06 AM
Response to "cybercat" >:

<snip>

> We would appreciate your good thoughts. She sees the vet tomorrow
> afternoon, first available appointment. I picked the one she likes
> the best.

I hope it's nothing to fret over. Good luck, Boo. Keep your head up,
cybercat!

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

CatNipped[_2_]
July 9th 08, 02:07 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message
> This is our tuxedo girl, age 13, hyperthyroid treated with Tapazole, and
> arhythmia with propanolol. She was obese and age 5 when we got her, I got
> her down to a good weight over a year's time a few years ago.
>
> I picked her up this afternoon and felt it, looked closely (that went over
> big, lol!) and it is a very round, symetrical, hard ball maybe 1/2 an inch
> from her nipple. It feels big to me, baby-pea size, that is pretty big on
> a little cat. It was NOT there a month ago, maybe not even two weeks ago.
> (We handle her a lot.) I could not find any other lumps, though I tried
> until I feared for my life. (Boo can turn you to dust with a single glare
> if she wants. She's never actually done it but I know know she can. She
> does not just complain and try to wriggle away, she stiffarms you and
> stares like, "WHAT THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING? ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR
> MIND? TAKE YOUR NASTY HUMAN HANDS OFF ME. RIGHT NOW!)
>
> I have been reading in the archives about lumps like this, and just like
> with humans, it seems they can be cysts, boils, benign or malignant
> tumors, or even just infections, like abcesses.
>
> We would appreciate your good thoughts. She sees the vet tomorrow
> afternoon, first available appointment. I picked the one she likes the
> best.

Mega healing purrs on the way. Take a deep breath and think about all the
benign things it probably is! If it's not *on* the teat, that's a good
sign. Having lost weight myself, and at the age I am, I'm always finding
little lumps all over my body that are nothing but little fatty deposits
that my body hasn't metabolized - I'm sure it could be the same in cats.
Baby pea sized *is* small - most people don't notice things that small on
their cats. So even if it *is* the worst case scenario, you've caught it
very early and there should be a very good chance of just excising it with
follow-up treatment (cats tolerate chemo-therapy *MUCH* better than humans
do).

Again, all our thoughts and prayers are with you and Boo.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Rene S.
July 9th 08, 02:16 PM
You're doing the right thing by seeing the vet right away. Best of
luck to you and Boo!

cybercat
July 9th 08, 09:04 PM
Thanks to all who sent good wishes.

The vet did a needle biopsy and said, "the cells are changing." [A nice way
to say "cancer."]

So we will have it out first thing tomorrow morning.

I asked if the vet felt anything else, and she said "No, but when she's out
tomorrow we will have a really good feel and look around to make sure."

The total cost, including today's visit and the surgery tomorrow, for
everyone's reference: $350. They would set up payments if I wanted, but we
have it now.

I had the impression that if I had said, "Well, I'll go home and talk it
over with my husband" as many probably do who never come back, there would
have been a separate charge for today, and other charges that would have
added up to more. So it is good all the way around that we are having it
done right away.

She was so good, she made not one sound when they did the biopsy. I love my
vet. I love that they do tests while you wait, and they praise the kitties
and are very sweet to them. It makes a big difference. (The instant you
touch this cat, even at the vet, she purrs.)

No food after ten tonight, she goes in 7-9 am tomorrow.

Prayers and good wishes fort he little Boo would be much appreciated. She
got lots of goodies as soon as we got home.

CatNipped[_2_]
July 9th 08, 09:50 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message
> Thanks to all who sent good wishes.
>
> The vet did a needle biopsy and said, "the cells are changing." [A nice
> way to say "cancer."]
>
> So we will have it out first thing tomorrow morning.
>
> I asked if the vet felt anything else, and she said "No, but when she's
> out tomorrow we will have a really good feel and look around to make
> sure."
>
> The total cost, including today's visit and the surgery tomorrow, for
> everyone's reference: $350. They would set up payments if I wanted, but we
> have it now.
>
> I had the impression that if I had said, "Well, I'll go home and talk it
> over with my husband" as many probably do who never come back, there would
> have been a separate charge for today, and other charges that would have
> added up to more. So it is good all the way around that we are having it
> done right away.
>
> She was so good, she made not one sound when they did the biopsy. I love
> my vet. I love that they do tests while you wait, and they praise the
> kitties and are very sweet to them. It makes a big difference. (The
> instant you touch this cat, even at the vet, she purrs.)
>
> No food after ten tonight, she goes in 7-9 am tomorrow.
>
> Prayers and good wishes fort he little Boo would be much appreciated. She
> got lots of goodies as soon as we got home.

Prayers, purrs and good wishes coming your way in bucketsful! I'm so sorry
it turned out to be the worse case scenario, but you did catch it early and
there's every reason to hope for the best!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Rene S.
July 9th 08, 09:58 PM
On Jul 9, 3:04*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> Thanks to all who sent good wishes.
>
> The vet did a needle biopsy and said, "the cells are changing." [A nice way
> to say "cancer."]

I'm sorry to learn that it's cancer, but you caught it early and are
jumping right on the treatment, which is a very good thing. Best
wishes on her surgery. Let us know how she does.

Rene

Spot[_2_]
July 10th 08, 03:20 AM
Sorry to hear that it's really something. It's good that you caught it
early and that it's being removed. I hope everything goes well and the vet
gets it all.

Keep up posted on how Boo's doing
Celeste

"cybercat" > wrote in message
> Thanks to all who sent good wishes.
>
> The vet did a needle biopsy and said, "the cells are changing." [A nice
> way to say "cancer."]
>
> So we will have it out first thing tomorrow morning.
>
> I asked if the vet felt anything else, and she said "No, but when she's
> out tomorrow we will have a really good feel and look around to make
> sure."
>
> The total cost, including today's visit and the surgery tomorrow, for
> everyone's reference: $350. They would set up payments if I wanted, but we
> have it now.
>
> I had the impression that if I had said, "Well, I'll go home and talk it
> over with my husband" as many probably do who never come back, there would
> have been a separate charge for today, and other charges that would have
> added up to more. So it is good all the way around that we are having it
> done right away.
>
> She was so good, she made not one sound when they did the biopsy. I love
> my vet. I love that they do tests while you wait, and they praise the
> kitties and are very sweet to them. It makes a big difference. (The
> instant you touch this cat, even at the vet, she purrs.)
>
> No food after ten tonight, she goes in 7-9 am tomorrow.
>
> Prayers and good wishes fort he little Boo would be much appreciated. She
> got lots of goodies as soon as we got home.

Candace
July 10th 08, 04:34 AM
On Jul 9, 1:04*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:

> Prayers and good wishes fort he little Boo would be much appreciated. She
> got lots of goodies as soon as we got home.

I am praying for Boo and sending good thoughts her way.

Candace

blkcatgal
July 10th 08, 04:56 AM
We'll keep good thoughts that everything goes well for Boo tomorrow.

S.
---
"cybercat" > wrote in message
> Thanks to all who sent good wishes.
>
> The vet did a needle biopsy and said, "the cells are changing." [A nice
> way to say "cancer."]
>
> So we will have it out first thing tomorrow morning.
>
> I asked if the vet felt anything else, and she said "No, but when she's
> out tomorrow we will have a really good feel and look around to make
> sure."
>
> The total cost, including today's visit and the surgery tomorrow, for
> everyone's reference: $350. They would set up payments if I wanted, but we
> have it now.
>
> I had the impression that if I had said, "Well, I'll go home and talk it
> over with my husband" as many probably do who never come back, there would
> have been a separate charge for today, and other charges that would have
> added up to more. So it is good all the way around that we are having it
> done right away.
>
> She was so good, she made not one sound when they did the biopsy. I love
> my vet. I love that they do tests while you wait, and they praise the
> kitties and are very sweet to them. It makes a big difference. (The
> instant you touch this cat, even at the vet, she purrs.)
>
> No food after ten tonight, she goes in 7-9 am tomorrow.
>
> Prayers and good wishes fort he little Boo would be much appreciated. She
> got lots of goodies as soon as we got home.

cybercat
July 10th 08, 02:04 PM
Thanks so much to all of you for your support and presence. It's great to
have people who understand to talk to now. Nothing has changed except I know
a little more about her condition.

The pathologist report says "mostly round cell cancer" which is not good, as
it is apparently dense and fast growing. This is why it is so hard, and why
the vet frowned when she felt it. It is also apparently not a very common
cancer, as cancers go. Another, easier to treat kind, if I understand
correctly, is "mast cell" cancer.

I have not yet begun to google, just got home from dropping her off. When I
paid for the surgery the young woman said to a colleague "oh, Dr. Lewis is
coming in today to do this. This was supposed to be her day off." I asked if
she was coming just to do Boo'd surgery and she said yes. That really made
me feel better. There's a question on the form I had to sign before the
surgery, something like "if any circumstances arise while the patient is
under anesthesia that require further treatment or procedures: A. Do only
what has been discussed B. Call me before you do anything C. Do whatever is
necessary" I checked C, because I trust this doctor.

You are all right that it is very good we caught it early. A young lady I
spoke with who works at the vet said she saw a lump on her boxer's neck,
thought it was nothing, suddenly it was huge, and when she took him in there
was just nothing they could do for him due to the size and location.

We appreciate all good thoughts and prayers for Boo. I expect she will need
radiation therapy or chemotherapy for this type, to do everything we can to
see that it does not come back. One really cool thing: over the past months
I have picked up a LOT of extra work, and just last night got a $600 job out
of the blue. I understand that many people whose animals get sick are not so
lucky and I am very grateful.

My husband and I talked, and we decided that we will go everything we can to
give her a fighting chance, any type of treatments and repeat sugery if it
is indicated. However--we will not be selfish and allow her to suffer just
to keep her with us. I guess we will just call it as it unfolds.

Thanks again. I will keep everyone posted about her progress.

CatNipped[_2_]
July 10th 08, 02:35 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message
> Thanks so much to all of you for your support and presence. It's great to
> have people who understand to talk to now. Nothing has changed except I
> know a little more about her condition.
>
> The pathologist report says "mostly round cell cancer" which is not good,
> as it is apparently dense and fast growing. This is why it is so hard, and
> why the vet frowned when she felt it. It is also apparently not a very
> common cancer, as cancers go. Another, easier to treat kind, if I
> understand correctly, is "mast cell" cancer.
>
> I have not yet begun to google, just got home from dropping her off. When
> I paid for the surgery the young woman said to a colleague "oh, Dr. Lewis
> is coming in today to do this. This was supposed to be her day off." I
> asked if she was coming just to do Boo'd surgery and she said yes. That
> really made me feel better. There's a question on the form I had to sign
> before the surgery, something like "if any circumstances arise while the
> patient is under anesthesia that require further treatment or procedures:
> A. Do only what has been discussed B. Call me before you do anything C. Do
> whatever is necessary" I checked C, because I trust this doctor.
>
> You are all right that it is very good we caught it early. A young lady I
> spoke with who works at the vet said she saw a lump on her boxer's neck,
> thought it was nothing, suddenly it was huge, and when she took him in
> there was just nothing they could do for him due to the size and location.
>
> We appreciate all good thoughts and prayers for Boo. I expect she will
> need radiation therapy or chemotherapy for this type, to do everything we
> can to see that it does not come back. One really cool thing: over the
> past months I have picked up a LOT of extra work, and just last night got
> a $600 job out of the blue. I understand that many people whose animals
> get sick are not so lucky and I am very grateful.
>
> My husband and I talked, and we decided that we will go everything we can
> to give her a fighting chance, any type of treatments and repeat sugery if
> it is indicated. However--we will not be selfish and allow her to suffer
> just to keep her with us. I guess we will just call it as it unfolds.
>
> Thanks again. I will keep everyone posted about her progress.

Thanks for the update - I was thinking about Boo all last night, I told DH
about her and he expressed his concerns too (he knows you "second-hand" ;>)
We will, of course, keep you and Boo in our thoughts and prayers - the
clowder is sending their purrs.

Please let us know as soon as you hear how the surgery went.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Spot[_2_]
July 10th 08, 08:13 PM
That's the smart thing to do. I agree with giving an animal a fighting
chance but when quality of life becomes an issue it's just as important to
give them peace and let them go from their pain.

Celeste

> My husband and I talked, and we decided that we will go everything we can
> to give her a fighting chance, any type of treatments and repeat sugery if
> it is indicated. However--we will not be selfish and allow her to suffer
> just to keep her with us. I guess we will just call it as it unfolds.

blkcatgal
July 10th 08, 11:25 PM
We'll keep thinking good thoughts for Boo. I hope she can kick this thing.
Keep us posted on what happens.

S.
---
"cybercat" > wrote in message
> Thanks so much to all of you for your support and presence. It's great to
> have people who understand to talk to now. Nothing has changed except I
> know a little more about her condition.
>
> The pathologist report says "mostly round cell cancer" which is not good,
> as it is apparently dense and fast growing. This is why it is so hard, and
> why the vet frowned when she felt it. It is also apparently not a very
> common cancer, as cancers go. Another, easier to treat kind, if I
> understand correctly, is "mast cell" cancer.
>
> I have not yet begun to google, just got home from dropping her off. When
> I paid for the surgery the young woman said to a colleague "oh, Dr. Lewis
> is coming in today to do this. This was supposed to be her day off." I
> asked if she was coming just to do Boo'd surgery and she said yes. That
> really made me feel better. There's a question on the form I had to sign
> before the surgery, something like "if any circumstances arise while the
> patient is under anesthesia that require further treatment or procedures:
> A. Do only what has been discussed B. Call me before you do anything C. Do
> whatever is necessary" I checked C, because I trust this doctor.
>
> You are all right that it is very good we caught it early. A young lady I
> spoke with who works at the vet said she saw a lump on her boxer's neck,
> thought it was nothing, suddenly it was huge, and when she took him in
> there was just nothing they could do for him due to the size and location.
>
> We appreciate all good thoughts and prayers for Boo. I expect she will
> need radiation therapy or chemotherapy for this type, to do everything we
> can to see that it does not come back. One really cool thing: over the
> past months I have picked up a LOT of extra work, and just last night got
> a $600 job out of the blue. I understand that many people whose animals
> get sick are not so lucky and I am very grateful.
>
> My husband and I talked, and we decided that we will go everything we can
> to give her a fighting chance, any type of treatments and repeat sugery if
> it is indicated. However--we will not be selfish and allow her to suffer
> just to keep her with us. I guess we will just call it as it unfolds.
>
> Thanks again. I will keep everyone posted about her progress.

Candace
July 11th 08, 03:02 AM
On Jul 10, 6:04*am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> Thanks so much to all of you for your support and presence. It's great to
> have people who understand to talk to now. Nothing has changed except I know
> a little more about her condition.
>
> The pathologist report says "mostly round cell cancer" which is not good, as
> it is apparently dense and fast growing. This is why it is so hard, and why
> the vet frowned when she felt it. It is also apparently not a very common
> cancer, as cancers go. Another, easier to treat kind, if I understand
> correctly, is "mast cell" cancer.
>
> I have not yet begun to google, just got home from dropping her off. When I
> paid for the surgery the young woman said to a colleague "oh, Dr. Lewis is
> coming in today to do this. This was supposed to be her day off." I asked if
> she was coming just to do Boo'd surgery and she said yes. That really made
> me feel better. There's a question on the form I had to sign before the
> surgery, something like "if any circumstances arise while the patient is
> under anesthesia that require further treatment or procedures: A. Do only
> what has been discussed B. Call me before you do anything C. Do whatever is
> necessary" I checked C, because I trust this doctor.
>
> You are all right that it is very good we caught it early. A young lady I
> spoke with who works at the vet said she saw a lump on her boxer's neck,
> thought it was nothing, suddenly it was huge, and when she took him in there
> was just nothing they could do for him due to the size and location.
>
> We appreciate all good thoughts and prayers for Boo. I expect she will need
> radiation therapy or chemotherapy for this type, to do everything we can to
> see that it does not come back. One really cool thing: over the past months
> I have picked up a LOT of extra work, and just last night got a $600 job out
> of the blue. I understand that many people whose animals get sick are not so
> lucky and I am very grateful.
>
> My husband and I talked, and we decided that we will go everything we can to
> give her a fighting chance, any type of treatments and repeat sugery if it
> is indicated. However--we will not be selfish and allow her to suffer just
> to keep her with us. I guess we will just call it as it unfolds.
>
> Thanks again. I will keep everyone posted about her progress.

Wow, you sound so calm and rational. I know you probably don't feel
that way (but hope you truly do). I hope she can beat it. It sounds
as though your vet is compassionate and competent and like you have a
plan. Poor girl, I hope it all turns out positively in the end.

Candace

cybercat
July 12th 08, 12:08 AM
"Candace" > wrote

>I hope she can beat it. It sounds as though your vet is compassionate and
>competent and like you have a
>plan. Poor girl, I hope it all turns out positively in the end.

Thank you, Candace, this really means a lot. She's such a good girl. I
cannot believe she loves to
be touched so much that even at the vet, she begins purring the instant
anyone touches her. They
had her on her back, three or four hands on her, about to do the needle
biopsy, and she was
purring. (Is there anything cuter than a pudgy tuxedo with white socks lying
on their back with
their little white feets up? Hmm, Sexy Soxy? ;) )

We really do come to love them so much. It's always staggering to think
about them hurting, or
to think about losing them.

I am amazed by this vet and even the techs and receptionists. I know they
see a lot of animals,
but when they seem to see yours as special, and they are kind and
considerate, it really goes
a long way during times like this.