PDA

View Full Version : Frontline bad?

Robotech_Master
July 11th 08, 01:40 AM
Perhaps Phil can chime in on this.

I ran across this link (actually an advertised link in my Gmail; I'd
just bought some Frontline via eBay) and it makes some pretty ominous
claims regarding Frontline.

http://www.cedarcidestore.citymax.com/catalog/item/3580888/3194699.htm

Of course, it is trying to sell its own "use me instead" product. But
I can't help but wonder, is there anything to this?

--
Chris Meadows aka | WWW: http://www.terrania.us | Somebody
Robotech_Master | ICQ: 5477383 AIM: RoboMastr | help, I'm
| Skype, LJ-Gizmo: Robotech_Master | trapped in
| Yahoo: robotech_master_2000 | a sig file!

Janet Boss
July 11th 08, 01:43 AM
In article >,
Robotech_Master > wrote:

> I ran across this link (actually an advertised link in my Gmail; I'd
> just bought some Frontline via eBay) and it makes some pretty ominous
> claims regarding Frontline.

didn't check the link, but unless I had problems, I won't put poison on
my pets.

--
Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

Matthew[_3_]
July 11th 08, 01:46 AM
I would not believe that is someone paid me to say so

"Robotech_Master" > wrote in message
g...
> Perhaps Phil can chime in on this.
>
> I ran across this link (actually an advertised link in my Gmail; I'd
> just bought some Frontline via eBay) and it makes some pretty ominous
> claims regarding Frontline.
>
> http://www.cedarcidestore.citymax.com/catalog/item/3580888/3194699.htm
>
> Of course, it is trying to sell its own "use me instead" product. But
> I can't help but wonder, is there anything to this?
>
> --
> Chris Meadows aka | WWW: http://www.terrania.us | Somebody
> Robotech_Master | ICQ: 5477383 AIM: RoboMastr | help, I'm
> | Skype, LJ-Gizmo: Robotech_Master | trapped in
> | Yahoo: robotech_master_2000 | a sig file!

Robotech_Master
July 11th 08, 01:48 AM
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 20:43:55 -0400, Janet Boss > wrote:

> didn't check the link, but unless I had problems, I won't put poison on
> my pets.

I've had severe flea problems around here, culminating in my cat
getting anemia and ending up dying from it (plus pancreatitis). As
one of my new cats will be an indoor-plus-outdoor-on-leash cat, I'm a
little worried.

--
Chris Meadows aka | WWW: http://www.terrania.us | Somebody
Robotech_Master | ICQ: 5477383 AIM: RoboMastr | help, I'm
| Skype, LJ-Gizmo: Robotech_Master | trapped in
| Yahoo: robotech_master_2000 | a sig file!

Janet Boss
July 11th 08, 01:51 AM
In article >,
Robotech_Master > wrote:

> I've had severe flea problems around here, culminating in my cat
> getting anemia and ending up dying from it (plus pancreatitis). As
> one of my new cats will be an indoor-plus-outdoor-on-leash cat, I'm a
> little worried.

I've always felt that overall health, along with home environment, make
a big difference. I live in the Mid-Atlantic. My dogs go a LOT of
places. Cats are indoors and maybe on patio or deck. I can't remember
the last time I saw a flea. I don't use any product.

--
Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

cshenk
July 11th 08, 01:57 AM
"Robotech_Master" wrote

> I've had severe flea problems around here, culminating in my cat
> getting anemia and ending up dying from it (plus pancreatitis). As
> one of my new cats will be an indoor-plus-outdoor-on-leash cat, I'm a
> little worried.

Some areas are really more flea prone than others. I too live in an area
where they are endemic and can cause what you had. Try 'Advantage' which
also has a version for cats that prevents heartworms. Pretty much you have
to have an exam amd a prescription but it works realy well and isnt all that
expensive.

Aviod Hartz please.

Robotech_Master
July 11th 08, 01:59 AM
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 20:57:52 -0400, cshenk > wrote:

> Some areas are really more flea prone than others. I too live in
> an area where they are endemic and can cause what you had. Try
> 'Advantage' which also has a version for cats that prevents
> heartworms.

Well, the article (to which that page links) implicates Advantage,
too.

http://www.apnm.org/publications/resources/fleachemfin.pdf

This sounds pretty darned scary.

--
Chris Meadows aka | WWW: http://www.terrania.us | Somebody
Robotech_Master | ICQ: 5477383 AIM: RoboMastr | help, I'm
| Skype, LJ-Gizmo: Robotech_Master | trapped in
| Yahoo: robotech_master_2000 | a sig file!

cshenk
July 11th 08, 02:10 AM
"Robotech_Master" wrote in message

>> Some areas are really more flea prone than others. I too live in
>> an area where they are endemic and can cause what you had. Try
>> 'Advantage' which also has a version for cats that prevents
>> heartworms.
>
> Well, the article (to which that page links) implicates Advantage,
> too.
>
> http://www.apnm.org/publications/resources/fleachemfin.pdf
>
> This sounds pretty darned scary.

I scanned the article and it seemed a rant for 'being green'. Well
intentioned I am sure but if you live in an area where fleas can be so bad,
your cat dies from the complications, they are not apt to be of much use.

I have some home remedies that others have sent, but I do not find them
workable here. A bit of vinegar in the water is supposed to help (in my
case, cat will not drink it). One that does work but kills only adult fleas
is a shampoo with 'head-n-shoulders' (martial art of cat bathing not
recommended but sometimes it's ben so severe we had no choice).

Phil P.
July 11th 08, 10:11 AM
"Robotech_Master" > wrote in message
g...
> Perhaps Phil can chime in on this.
>
> I ran across this link (actually an advertised link in my Gmail; I'd
> just bought some Frontline via eBay) and it makes some pretty ominous
> claims regarding Frontline.
>
> http://www.cedarcidestore.citymax.com/catalog/item/3580888/3194699.htm
>
> Of course, it is trying to sell its own "use me instead" product. But
> I can't help but wonder, is there anything to this?

First off- you really shouldn't buy any meds on eBay-especially high-price
flea products- or from any online source that isn't an authorized dealer.
The internet is flooded with counterfeits whose packaging are
indistinguishable from the real thing. At best counterfeits aren't
effective; at worst they could be highly toxic. Also, even if the meds are
the real thing, improper storage/handling can reduce their effectiveness.
Buy your meds from your vet. If you ever have a problem at least you'll have
some recourse and documentation.

About the article- sounds like an "au naturel cult" scare tactic to me.
They'll tell you aspirin can kill you... If I were you, I'd take it with a
large grain of salt.