PDA

View Full Version : Ping Cybercat - Boo Update?

CatNipped[_2_]
July 11th 08, 06:08 PM
Has anybody here heard from Nancy regarding "Boo"? I'm starting to get
really, really worried. I used to have her email, but that got lost when I
changed hard drives.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Rene S.
July 11th 08, 07:10 PM
On Jul 11, 12:08*pm, "CatNipped" > wrote:
> Has anybody here heard from Nancy regarding "Boo"? *I'm starting to get
> really, really worried. *I used to have her email, but that got lost when I
> changed hard drives.
>
> Hugs,
>
> CatNipped

I was hoping for an update too. Perhaps she's busy and will post one
tonight?

cybercat
July 11th 08, 10:33 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> Has anybody here heard from Nancy regarding "Boo"? I'm starting to get
> really, really worried. I used to have her email, but that got lost when
> I changed hard drives.

She is doing well considering, thanks so much for your concern, Rene too.
(Our cable was out beginning right after I last sent a post.)

I had dropped her off at about 8:30 Thursday, and had written you las then.
At 10:30 the vet called me, and told me that Boo had come through it just
fine "and in fact she is sitting up looking at me right now!" We were all
concerned because she has arhythmia and has never been under anesthesia
before.

Dr. Lewis also said that it was indeed a malignant tumor and that it worried
her because it had really adhered to muscle wall. (It is apparently not in
her breast, which is a good thing, I guess glands spread it easily?) Because
of this she said that she was "aggressive with the surgery" and took as much
of the surrounding area and muscle that she could. She said we had caught
this aggressive tumor very early, that it was only the size of "a garden
pea." She then said, " I don't know if you want to send the tissue off for a
detailed biopsy so we know exactly what we are dealing with ..." and I said,
"yes, I do. Once we know that for sure, then you can suggest the best
followup treatment, right?" And she said, "Yes."

I told her then what I posted here yesterday--that we don't want her to
suffer and we will not prolong her life just to keep her with us, but we
want to give her the best chance possible at recovery. And that I would
trust her to guide us in that matter. She is a great vet. She said I could
come get our baby between 4 and 6.

Once there, I spoke to another doctor who told me that Boo was being good
and not bothering her incision, which was unbandaged because it is too hard
a spot to bandage, but that we should keep a good eye on it and bring her
back in if any stitches appear broken, so they can be restitched and we can
put a collar on her to prevent her bothering as it heals. She said they gave
her a pain shot that should be all she needs but if I see her acting like
she feels bad, to call and they will prescribe something or bring her in for
a shot. She also said they had given her a new antibiotic with a name like
"Celebra" or somesuch, that apparently works for two weeks, so no extra
pills. She said to give her her regular heart medicine but not her thyroid
until the next day. In ten days we bring her back to have her stitches out.
The detailed biopsy results will take a week.

When she got home she chowed down immediately! And she got lots of goodies.
It is a small, very neat incision, very closely and meticulously stitched.
The care these people take is so obvious.

Today she seems just fine.

In my mind it seems unlikely that the cancer will return, but I know from
experience that these particularly virulent, fast-growing forms are
insidious and deadly.

It is very hard to imagine living without her. Maybe we will have her for a
while longer. The girl with the boxer said he lived a whole year with no
treatment.

Thanks again to everyone for their concern and for listening. I don't sound
terrified but this is the way *I* sound when I am terrified.

When those we love depend upon us, blathering around in a panic is not
helpful. My husband is very tenderhearted and really loves this cat.

All prayers and purrs and good thoughts are so appreciated, Dr. Lewis might
have opened her up and found her full of this stuff, you know? So I think
they really help.

Thank you.

CatNipped[_2_]
July 11th 08, 10:51 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "CatNipped" > wrote in message
>> Has anybody here heard from Nancy regarding "Boo"? I'm starting to get
>> really, really worried. I used to have her email, but that got lost when
>> I changed hard drives.
>>

> She is doing well considering, thanks so much for your concern, Rene too.
> (Our cable was out beginning right after I last sent a post.)

Oh, thank Bast! I was really afraid you weren't posting because you were
greiving!

> I had dropped her off at about 8:30 Thursday, and had written you las
> then. At 10:30 the vet called me, and told me that Boo had come through it
> just fine "and in fact she is sitting up looking at me right now!" We were
> all concerned because she has arhythmia and has never been under
> anesthesia before.
>
> Dr. Lewis also said that it was indeed a malignant tumor and that it
> worried her because it had really adhered to muscle wall. (It is
> apparently not in her breast, which is a good thing, I guess glands spread
> it easily?)

Yep, any malignancies in glands are worse and spread quickly through the
adrenal system in the body - which is why breast cancer can be so deadly.
But even in this area they are making huge strides in understanding and
combating this horrible killer! It really is a good sign that it was 1)
caught early and 2) in a muscle instead of a gland. YAY!

> Because of this she said that she was "aggressive with the surgery" and
> took as much of the surrounding area and muscle that she could. She said
> we had caught this aggressive tumor very early, that it was only the size
> of "a garden pea." She then said, " I don't know if you want to send the
> tissue off for a detailed biopsy so we know exactly what we are dealing
> with ..." and I said, "yes, I do. Once we know that for sure, then you can
> suggest the best followup treatment, right?" And she said, "Yes."
>
> I told her then what I posted here yesterday--that we don't want her to
> suffer and we will not prolong her life just to keep her with us, but we
> want to give her the best chance possible at recovery. And that I would
> trust her to guide us in that matter. She is a great vet. She said I could
> come get our baby between 4 and 6.
>
> Once there, I spoke to another doctor who told me that Boo was being good
> and not bothering her incision, which was unbandaged because it is too
> hard a spot to bandage, but that we should keep a good eye on it and bring
> her back in if any stitches appear broken, so they can be restitched and
> we can put a collar on her to prevent her bothering as it heals. She said
> they gave her a pain shot that should be all she needs but if I see her
> acting like she feels bad, to call and they will prescribe something or
> bring her in for a shot. She also said they had given her a new antibiotic
> with a name like "Celebra" or somesuch, that apparently works for two
> weeks, so no extra pills. She said to give her her regular heart medicine
> but not her thyroid until the next day. In ten days we bring her back to
> have her stitches out. The detailed biopsy results will take a week.
>
> When she got home she chowed down immediately! And she got lots of
> goodies. It is a small, very neat incision, very closely and meticulously
> stitched. The care these people take is so obvious.
>
> Today she seems just fine.
>
> In my mind it seems unlikely that the cancer will return, but I know from
> experience that these particularly virulent, fast-growing forms are
> insidious and deadly.
>
> It is very hard to imagine living without her. Maybe we will have her for
> a while longer. The girl with the boxer said he lived a whole year with no
> treatment.
>
> Thanks again to everyone for their concern and for listening. I don't
> sound terrified but this is the way *I* sound when I am terrified.

Yep, me too. I usually get hysterical *after* I've dealt with whatever it
is I must deal with (having children (and cats) helps teach you how to do
that).

> When those we love depend upon us, blathering around in a panic is not
> helpful. My husband is very tenderhearted and really loves this cat.
>
> All prayers and purrs and good thoughts are so appreciated, Dr. Lewis
> might have opened her up and found her full of this stuff, you know? So I
> think they really help.
>
> Thank you.

I'm so relieved that she did so well. Of course our prayers, well-wishes
and purrs will be with your darling girl, and you, for as long as you both
need them.

Hang in there, C, it sounds like she really has a fighting chance for a lot
of quality time still.

Hugs,

CatNipped

blkcatgal
July 11th 08, 11:07 PM
Glad the surgery went well and Boo is doing okay. I think you are taking
the right approach here. Please keep us posted on how Boo is doing.

S.
---
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> [...]
> stitched. The care these people take is so obvious.
>
> Today she seems just fine.
>
> In my mind it seems unlikely that the cancer will return, but I know from
> experience that these particularly virulent, fast-growing forms are
> insidious and deadly.
>
> It is very hard to imagine living without her. Maybe we will have her for
> a while longer. The girl with the boxer said he lived a whole year with no
> treatment.
>
> Thanks again to everyone for their concern and for listening. I don't
> sound terrified but this is the way *I* sound when I am terrified.
>
> When those we love depend upon us, blathering around in a panic is not
> helpful. My husband is very tenderhearted and really loves this cat.
>
> All prayers and purrs and good thoughts are so appreciated, Dr. Lewis
> might have opened her up and found her full of this stuff, you know? So I

cybercat
July 11th 08, 11:54 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote

> Yep, any malignancies in glands are worse and spread quickly through the
> adrenal system in the body - which is why breast cancer can be so deadly.
> But even in this area they are making huge strides in understanding and
> combating this horrible killer! It really is a good sign that it was 1)
> caught early and 2) in a muscle instead of a gland. YAY!

Thanks so much for these comments, Lori. You're so smart and have been
through so much with your kitties, your input means alot.

[...]
> Yep, me too. I usually get hysterical *after* I've dealt with whatever it
> is I must deal with (having children (and cats) helps teach you how to do
> that).

It's like, it is so important, you have to get control and be at your best,
so
you just suck up your fear and deal. It isn't that you don't care, or that
you
are not upset. I did not cry in front of Boo, or my husband. I cried after
I dropped her off, and before I posted to you guys, boo hooed all the way
home from the vet's. Later, when I tried to nap (I had not slept all night
Wednesday) I felt like I was having a heart attack or the beginnings of
a panic attack. I think things are harder on us as we get older, you know?

> I'm so relieved that she did so well. Of course our prayers, well-wishes
> and purrs will be with your darling girl, and you, for as long as you both
> need them.
>
> Hang in there, C, it sounds like she really has a fighting chance for a
> lot of quality time still.

Thanks again, it's a big comfort to be able to come here and talk to you
guys.

I trust many of you to help me make the right decisions. Hope Phil chimes
in. I will ping him if he doesn't soon. I know he is busy.

cybercat
July 11th 08, 11:55 PM
"blkcatgal" > wrote in message
> Glad the surgery went well and Boo is doing okay. I think you are taking
> the right approach here. Please keep us posted on how Boo is doing.

Thank you, Sue.

CatNipped[_2_]
July 12th 08, 12:11 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "CatNipped" > wrote
>
>> Yep, any malignancies in glands are worse and spread quickly through the
>> adrenal system in the body - which is why breast cancer can be so deadly.
>> But even in this area they are making huge strides in understanding and
>> combating this horrible killer! It really is a good sign that it was 1)
>> caught early and 2) in a muscle instead of a gland. YAY!
>
> Thanks so much for these comments, Lori. You're so smart

Pfffttt! I'm just good at googling! ;>

> and have been
> through so much with your kitties, your input means alot.

Yeah, I did go through a lot with Bandit the last two years of her life -
first the horrible burns she suffered at the vet's office during a simple
teeth cleaning because a stupid tech left a rice heating bag in the
microwave too long (and my guilt at not finding them until they were
necrotic). Then learning right after that that she had an inoperable brain
tumor that had caused her to be blind the last two years of her life before
it finally killed her. Well, it was both horribly hard but uplifting at the
same time, if you can imagine that.

*I* was a wreck, but to watch how she calmly dealt with horrible pain and
then losing her sight, while displaying the courage to keep going day after
day until she was too tired to go any longer (and *that* guilt I felt that I
might have tried to keep her with me for too long) - well, it was inspiring
to see such a *grand* spirit in a (according to some people) "lowly" animal.
And it was humbling!

> [...]
>> Yep, me too. I usually get hysterical *after* I've dealt with whatever
>> it is I must deal with (having children (and cats) helps teach you how to
>> do that).
>
> It's like, it is so important, you have to get control and be at your
> best, so
> you just suck up your fear and deal. It isn't that you don't care, or that
> you
> are not upset. I did not cry in front of Boo, or my husband. I cried after
> I dropped her off, and before I posted to you guys, boo hooed all the way
> home from the vet's.

I totally understand. It's amazing how they become like our children and we
have the same responses to them, even seeing them as furry little children.
But that's what makes it so terrible for us when they become ill or injured.
Oh well, nobody ever said love was easy and we learn to cherish the good
while paying the price for love with our pain.

> Later, when I tried to nap (I had not slept all night
> Wednesday) I felt like I was having a heart attack or the beginnings of
> a panic attack. I think things are harder on us as we get older, you know?

Yeah, getting old sucks, but it's better than the alternative! ;>

>> I'm so relieved that she did so well. Of course our prayers,
>> well-wishes and purrs will be with your darling girl, and you, for as
>> long as you both need them.
>>
>> Hang in there, C, it sounds like she really has a fighting chance for a
>> lot of quality time still.
>>

> Thanks again, it's a big comfort to be able to come here and talk to you
> guys.

I know. You've been a comfort to me through all the times I've come here
worried to death about one of mine, so it's nice to be able to return the
favor.

> I trust many of you to help me make the right decisions. Hope Phil chimes
> in. I will ping him if he doesn't soon. I know he is busy.

Yeah, Phil *RAWKS*! I've never known anybody, not even most vets, who know
more about cats - and *certainly* nobody who cares about them more.

Hang in there, sweetie, we'll all pulling for you and Boo.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Janet
July 12th 08, 12:38 AM
My best to you and yours.

It's terribly hard. We lost our beloved golden to cancer last year. There
were various complications that prevented it from being diagnosed and
treated early, so he never had a chance. Then we had to deal with the fact
that his condition declined rapidly immediately and he died shortly after we
started feeding him canned food for the first time, in order to coax him to
eat. Shortly thereafter, the Chinese food scandal broke. Of course, we had
thrown out any cans we used, so we'll never know if it killed him or not.

In any case, having a good vet and a really caring staff helps immeasurably.
I hope she beats it.

cybercat
July 12th 08, 05:08 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On Fri 11 Jul 2008 05:33:22p, cybercat wrote in
> rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> >:
>
>> All prayers and purrs and good thoughts are so appreciated, Dr.
>> Lewis might have opened her up and found her full of this stuff,
>> you know? So I think they really help.
>
> I'm glad she came home and ate and her prognosis is good. You will
> know what to do. I know from your posts about Gnarley (SP?) that you
> learned from her, and we all do the first time we have a sick old
> cat. Boo is in good hands.

Thank you, Cheryl. It's hard to believe that was almost 7 years ago.

Candace
July 12th 08, 07:13 AM
On Jul 11, 6:58*pm, Cheryl > wrote:

> I'm glad she came home and ate and her prognosis is good. You will
> know what to do. I know from your posts about Gnarley (SP?) that you
> learned from her, and we all do the first time we have a sick old
> cat. Boo is in good hands.
>
> --
> Cheryl

I agree with Cheryl. I hope her recovery is swift and complete!

Candace

cybercat
July 12th 08, 04:32 PM
"Candace" > wrote :
>I agree with Cheryl. I hope her recovery is swift and complete!

Thanks Candace, for your good wishes. She's just her old self, you
can't tell she's had surgery from her behavior, at all. No moping or
extra sleeping, either. She was bright-eyed and staring holes in me as
I made the coffee, waiting to be fed. (I always make the coffee and
change water and such first, because feeding time is when I am most
interesting to Boo, so I get to enjoy her company more, haha!) At
this stage it would be very easy to believe that the little bit of surgery
might be the end of it.

How are your babies? You have not written about them in a while.

Lynne
July 13th 08, 11:30 PM
cybercat wrote:

<snip very scary story>
> It is very hard to imagine living without her. Maybe we will have her for a
> while longer. The girl with the boxer said he lived a whole year with no
> treatment.
>
> Thanks again to everyone for their concern and for listening. I don't sound
> terrified but this is the way *I* sound when I am terrified.
>
> When those we love depend upon us, blathering around in a panic is not
> helpful. My husband is very tenderhearted and really loves this cat.
>
> All prayers and purrs and good thoughts are so appreciated, Dr. Lewis might
> have opened her up and found her full of this stuff, you know? So I think
> they really help.
>
> Thank you.

OMG what an ordeal you have been through! I'm so glad this was caught
early and that you have such a caring and thorough vet. I will check in
to see that biopsy result and pray it is the best possible news. Clean
margins will be a GREAT indicator for her, regardless of the type of
cancer they discover she has.

I'm glad she pulled through the surgery so well and I hope she continues
to feel okay.

I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.

cybercat
July 14th 08, 10:09 PM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...

> OMG what an ordeal you have been through! I'm so glad this was caught
> early and that you have such a caring and thorough vet.

Thank you, Lynne, for your good wishes.

>I will check in to see that biopsy result and pray it is the best possible
>news. Clean margins will be a GREAT indicator for her, regardless of the
>type of cancer they discover she has.

Do you think because it was small, or because the doctor said it was the
size of a garden pea, that this means the margins are clean? Now that I
think about it I expect that might be true. But she did say that it worried
her the way it was adhering to Boo's muscle wall.

> I'm glad she pulled through the surgery so well and I hope she continues
> to feel okay.

She's just the same old assertive girl! It's amazing. The stairs don't even
bother her, and she has not messed with her stitches at all.

> I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.

It means a lot. She is such a character, and so beautiful with her velvety
black coat and white bib and paws. One of the coolest things about Boo is
that she is a "thinker." If you do something, there is almost always a
pause, and a look on her face like she is considering the situation. It's
hilarious. It ranges from, I come down and pet her and talk to her and she
would rather not be bothered, and you can see a bubble appear over her head
like, "Hmmmmm .. if I am very still and don't say anything, maybe she will
go away" to, she comes in to the living room and we are watching something
with a tray of snacks on the table, and she sits down, looks around, waits a
while to let it all sink in, apparently decides we are there for a while,
then sneaks upstairs like a commando and hoovers down Gracie's food. :)

Lynne
July 15th 08, 09:09 PM
cybercat wrote:

> Do you think because it was small, or because the doctor said it was the
> size of a garden pea, that this means the margins are clean? Now that I
> think about it I expect that might be true. But she did say that it worried
> her the way it was adhering to Boo's muscle wall.

Did you get the biopsy results yet? I looked for an update and couldn't
find it. When I said clean margins will be a very good indicator, I
meant if you hear that in the pathology report it will be very good to
know and an indicator that perhaps the cancer has not spread.
When a tumor is extracted, so is tissue around the tumor. That tissue
is examined for cancer cells. If the cancer is fully contained within
the tumor and there are no cancer cells in the tissue around the tumor,
that is a "clean margin." (Think of the excised tissue as an egg. The
margin is the egg white around a yolk, and the yolk is the cancerous
tumor. If there is no yolk mixed into the white, it's a clean margin.)
A doctor can't determine this, but the pathologist can and will. I'm
hoping this is what you hear. Actually, I'm hoping you hear it isn't
cancer at all and some odd, rare, but benign thing that won't be a
problem ever again.

> It means a lot. She is such a character, and so beautiful with her velvety
> black coat and white bib and paws. One of the coolest things about Boo is
> that she is a "thinker." If you do something, there is almost always a
> pause, and a look on her face like she is considering the situation. It's
> hilarious. It ranges from, I come down and pet her and talk to her and she
> would rather not be bothered, and you can see a bubble appear over her head
> like, "Hmmmmm .. if I am very still and don't say anything, maybe she will
> go away" to, she comes in to the living room and we are watching something
> with a tray of snacks on the table, and she sits down, looks around, waits a
> while to let it all sink in, apparently decides we are there for a while,
> then sneaks upstairs like a commando and hoovers down Gracie's food. :)

She is so precious, and clever. I know you treasure her. I'm anxious
for good news! Hang in there!!

Lynne
July 16th 08, 01:47 PM
Lynne wrote:

> Actually, I'm hoping you hear it isn't
> cancer at all and some odd, rare, but benign thing that won't be a
> problem ever again.

Dangit, I went back and read your original thread which I had not fully
read before. I just saw that the needle biopsy indicated round cell
cancer and I am not finding any updates from you. Very worried here and
keeping you in my thoughts.

Rene S.
July 16th 08, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the update, and I'm glad she got through the surgery well.
Hugs to you and her.

Sheelagh>\o\
July 16th 08, 02:48 PM
On Jul 11, 10:33*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "CatNipped" > wrote in message

> > Has anybody here heard from Nancy regarding "Boo"? *I'm starting to get
> > really, really worried. *I used to have her email, but that got lost when
> > I changed hard drives.
>
> She is doing well considering, thanks so much for your concern, Rene too.
> (Our cable was out beginning right after I last sent a post.)
>
> I had dropped her off at about 8:30 Thursday, and had written you las then.

cybercat
July 16th 08, 05:50 PM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...
> Lynne wrote:
>
> > Actually, I'm hoping you hear it isn't
>> cancer at all and some odd, rare, but benign thing that won't be a
>> problem ever again.
>
> Dangit, I went back and read your original thread which I had not fully
> read before. I just saw that the needle biopsy indicated round cell
> cancer and I am not finding any updates from you. Very worried here and
> keeping you in my thoughts.

Lynne, they did a biopsy and the doctor looked at it under the microscope
that day, while we waited. She recognized that the cells were "suspicious"
and when I went in the next morning for Boo's surgery, she had written
"mostly round cell" on the chart. After the surgery, she sent the tissue to
pathology to determine exactly what kind of round cell cancer it is, and
said it would take a week. So we should be hearing tomorrow. I'll let you
know right away, thank you for caring about us.

Lynne
July 16th 08, 07:28 PM
cybercat wrote:

> Lynne, they did a biopsy and the doctor looked at it under the microscope
> that day, while we waited. She recognized that the cells were "suspicious"
> and when I went in the next morning for Boo's surgery, she had written
> "mostly round cell" on the chart. After the surgery, she sent the tissue to
> pathology to determine exactly what kind of round cell cancer it is, and
> said it would take a week. So we should be hearing tomorrow. I'll let you
> know right away, thank you for caring about us.

You must be beside yourself. I'm praying for the absolute best possible
report. I wish I could do more.