PDA

View Full Version : commercial alternative to Hills C/D ?

Lynne
July 12th 08, 10:40 PM
Quick Levi update: he's fine and has been eating the Hill's C/D for a
case worth (12 days). He was on the S/D for 7 weeks... too long, but
all is well now and that is a HUGE relief. BTW, C/D must taste better
than anything else on the planet. Both of these cats practically maul
me at feeding time and have knocked me out of the way to get to their
bowls, hehe.

I picked up 2 cases of C/D (wet) today and it was $65.00. That's 24
days worth of food for 2 cats...(the both get the same food, impossible
to change that with creating stress for them). I am really
uncomfortable spending this kind of money on cat food with grocery and
gas prices being what they are. I will if I have to, but I would like
to find a safe, healthy alternative for the boys. Any sugguestions?

I'd really like to hear ONLY from folks who have experience with cats
who have recovered from crystals/blockage, and Phil, of course. No
guessing from anyone else, I adore my kitties and if switching food
isn't gonna be safe, I won't, but my vet said, "I'm sure there is
something out there that will work but I'm not familiar with anything I
can recommend." We'll be doing a careful nutritional analysis, together.

As a reminder, Levi had BUNCHES of struvite crystals, and then both
types, and then none but a super high pH which we have since figured out
was related to stress. All is normal now. What can I feed him other
than Hill's C/D to keep him that way?

Thanks, everyone!!

Lynne
July 12th 08, 10:44 PM
Hmmmm, just ran the math and it's actually only about $2.70 per day to
feed them (or, $1.35 per can). Suddenly that doesn't seem so pricey...

What are people playing for a 2 serving can of cat food?

---MIKE---
July 12th 08, 11:03 PM
I am feeding my two Wellness canned chicken. A case goes for about $28
so it's about $2.33 a day. When I compare that with the expected $15 a
day to heat the house this winter it doesn't seem too bad.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Lynne
July 13th 08, 02:41 AM
---MIKE--- wrote:
> I am feeding my two Wellness canned chicken. A case goes for about $28
> so it's about $2.33 a day. When I compare that with the expected $15 a
> day to heat the house this winter it doesn't seem too bad.

Mike, that is a good data point. Thank you. That makes the C/D seem
not too high in price at all.

Of course the trouble with the little daily expenses is how quickly they
add up. I'm not as stressed about cat food now, but am still interested
in a high quality potential substitute. I suspect there are better
options for a cat with a history of crystals than what Hills makes.