PDA

View Full Version : NPR on pet healthcare costs

Robotech_Master
July 14th 08, 07:55 PM
People here might find this amusing.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=92510432

Among other things, notes that cats have, on average, lower vet bills
than dogs.

--
Chris Meadows aka | WWW: http://www.terrania.us | Somebody
Robotech_Master | ICQ: 5477383 AIM: RoboMastr | help, I'm
| Skype, LJ-Gizmo: Robotech_Master | trapped in
| Yahoo: robotech_master_2000 | a sig file!

Janet
July 14th 08, 11:33 PM
"Robotech_Master" > wrote in message
g...
> People here might find this amusing.
>
> http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=92510432
>
> Among other things, notes that cats have, on average, lower vet bills
> than dogs.

I've always had large dogs. (The size really makes a difference.) The cost
of just routine annual shots plus Heartguard and Frontline is well over $600
for one dog. (And we don't keep her on either of those for the full year, or
it would be another $200 or so.) That was the bill for my latest visit, and
it didn't include rabies, IIRC. Just Lyme and kennel cough vaccinations.

Another question: do most people here routinely use something like Frontline
on indoor cats? So far no signs of a flea issue, since the pet who does go
outdoors does have Frontline on a monthly basis. I dislike subjecting
animals to chemicals and pesticides if not necessary.

dejablues[_4_]
July 16th 08, 01:12 AM
"Janet" > wrote in message
> Another question: do most people here routinely use something like
> Frontline on indoor cats? So far no signs of a flea issue, since the pet
> who does go outdoors does have Frontline on a monthly basis. I dislike
> subjecting animals to chemicals and pesticides if not necessary.

I surely do not. We've had indoor cats here for 21 years, and the first few
were subjected to baths and flea combing (the was the pre-Frontline days)
since this house was infested when we moved in (so we treated the house).
We took in a dumpster kitten last fall and used Frontline on him once
because the fleas were mostly biting ME. Thank goodness the other cats
didn't get them!