PDA

View Full Version : Boo Update--IT'S BENIGN!!!!!

cybercat
July 17th 08, 04:33 PM
Dr. Lewis just called, and I am beside myself. NOW I can definitely cry and
throw fits, but happy ones.

We caught it so early there is no sign of cancer. It IS a mammary tumor
after all, but it is benign.

She said they do change and it might have changed over time, so we just have
to watch Boo for new ones. She said "the good news is, it was not cancer,
the bad news is, cats can have very aggressive mammary tumors, and they have
eight breasts, so there's a good chance she might have more tumors. The
important thing is that we get them out as soon as they show up."

It occurs to me that I should not have been told it WAS cancer when it
wasn't, but I am so happy I don't even care. The thing is, the doctor did
not SAY it WAS cancer, it was the girl at the desk the morning of the
surgery who read the "mostly round cell" to me from the chart. So I can't
blame the doctor. It was so very hard, when she first touched it I could see
the concern on her face.

Thanks to every single one of you for every moment of caring and support
through this mess. We love that little cat so much, I am not sure I realized
how much until this. I kept petting her velvety little head and being
cheerful all week, but thinking we were going to lose her. I know we have to
one day but not today. YAY!

Rene S.
July 17th 08, 04:38 PM
HOORAY, I am so happy for you and Boo! This is the best news! *doing
happy dance for you*

CatNipped[_2_]
July 17th 08, 04:46 PM
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

HaPpY dAnCiNg all *over* the freakin' place!!!
http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/happydance/

I am so, so, so relieved to hear that - I can't tell you how happy I was to
read the subject line of this post! Purrs still coming that she doesn't get
any more and you don't have to go through that again!

Hugs,

CatNipped

"cybercat" > wrote in message
> Dr. Lewis just called, and I am beside myself. NOW I can definitely cry
> and throw fits, but happy ones.
>
> We caught it so early there is no sign of cancer. It IS a mammary tumor
> after all, but it is benign.
>
> She said they do change and it might have changed over time, so we just
> have to watch Boo for new ones. She said "the good news is, it was not
> cancer, the bad news is, cats can have very aggressive mammary tumors, and
> they have eight breasts, so there's a good chance she might have more
> tumors. The important thing is that we get them out as soon as they show
> up."
>
> It occurs to me that I should not have been told it WAS cancer when it
> wasn't, but I am so happy I don't even care. The thing is, the doctor did
> not SAY it WAS cancer, it was the girl at the desk the morning of the
> surgery who read the "mostly round cell" to me from the chart. So I can't
> blame the doctor. It was so very hard, when she first touched it I could
> see the concern on her face.
>
> Thanks to every single one of you for every moment of caring and support
> through this mess. We love that little cat so much, I am not sure I
> realized how much until this. I kept petting her velvety little head and
> being cheerful all week, but thinking we were going to lose her. I know we
> have to one day but not today. YAY!

Janet
July 17th 08, 04:52 PM
Great news!

Lynne
July 17th 08, 05:26 PM
cybercat wrote:
> Dr. Lewis just called, and I am beside myself. NOW I can definitely cry and
> throw fits, but happy ones.
>
> We caught it so early there is no sign of cancer. It IS a mammary tumor
> after all, but it is benign.

This is FANTASTIC NEWS!

> She said they do change and it might have changed over time, so we just have
> to watch Boo for new ones. She said "the good news is, it was not cancer,
> the bad news is, cats can have very aggressive mammary tumors, and they have
> eight breasts, so there's a good chance she might have more tumors. The
> important thing is that we get them out as soon as they show up."
>
> It occurs to me that I should not have been told it WAS cancer when it
> wasn't, but I am so happy I don't even care. The thing is, the doctor did
> not SAY it WAS cancer, it was the girl at the desk the morning of the
> surgery who read the "mostly round cell" to me from the chart. So I can't
> blame the doctor. It was so very hard, when she first touched it I could see
> the concern on her face.

This bothered me when I read your account (the 2nd time, more
thoroughly) but I opted not to mention it. Only a pathologist can
diagnose cancer, but I didn't want to give you would could have ended up
being false hope. Even when a needle biopsy comes back from pathology
with a report suggesting carcinoma, no diagnosis of cancer is made until
the tumor is excised and examined. There are lots of things that look
like cancer with needle aspirations.

At any rate, I am SO relieved for you guys!!

> Thanks to every single one of you for every moment of caring and support
> through this mess. We love that little cat so much, I am not sure I realized
> how much until this. I kept petting her velvety little head and being
> cheerful all week, but thinking we were going to lose her. I know we have to
> one day but not today. YAY!

:::happy dance!!!!:::

Matthew[_3_]
July 17th 08, 05:39 PM
HAPPY DANCE

"cybercat" > wrote in message
> Dr. Lewis just called, and I am beside myself. NOW I can definitely cry
> and throw fits, but happy ones.
>
> We caught it so early there is no sign of cancer. It IS a mammary tumor
> after all, but it is benign.
>
> She said they do change and it might have changed over time, so we just
> have to watch Boo for new ones. She said "the good news is, it was not
> cancer, the bad news is, cats can have very aggressive mammary tumors, and
> they have eight breasts, so there's a good chance she might have more
> tumors. The important thing is that we get them out as soon as they show
> up."
>
> It occurs to me that I should not have been told it WAS cancer when it
> wasn't, but I am so happy I don't even care. The thing is, the doctor did
> not SAY it WAS cancer, it was the girl at the desk the morning of the
> surgery who read the "mostly round cell" to me from the chart. So I can't
> blame the doctor. It was so very hard, when she first touched it I could
> see the concern on her face.
>
> Thanks to every single one of you for every moment of caring and support
> through this mess. We love that little cat so much, I am not sure I
> realized how much until this. I kept petting her velvety little head and
> being cheerful all week, but thinking we were going to lose her. I know we
> have to one day but not today. YAY!

cybercat
July 17th 08, 10:15 PM
"Lynne" > wrote >
> This bothered me when I read your account (the 2nd time, more thoroughly)
> but I opted not to mention it. Only a pathologist can diagnose cancer,
> but I didn't want to give you would could have ended up being false hope.
> Even when a needle biopsy comes back from pathology with a report
> suggesting carcinoma, no diagnosis of cancer is made until the tumor is
> excised and examined. There are lots of things that look like cancer with
> needle aspirations.

The vet was very careful NOT to say it was cancer. She said, "it looks thick
and cheesy, and when I put it under the microscope, the cells definitely
look suspicious. I asked specifically "Is it cancer?" and she said "I really
can't tell until we get in there and get it to the lab. I don't want you to
worry too much, it has to come out whatever it is." Her face told me to
expect something bad, but not to freak out just yet. I think she handled it
great.

The girl at the front desk meant to be kind--she had just had a dog die from
"round cell" cancer, so she wanted to commiserate. She meant well. It was a
lot better to think it was cancer then find out it wasn't than the opposite
would have been!

> At any rate, I am SO relieved for you guys!!

oh, Lynne, I just feel like we dodged a major bullet. I wish everyone in
this position could get good news.

We will have to be vigilant.

cybercat
July 17th 08, 10:17 PM
"CatNipped" > wrote in message
> WHOOOOOOOOOOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
>
> HaPpY dAnCiNg all *over* the freakin' place!!!
> http://www.possibleplaces.com/catnipped/happydance/
>
> I am so, so, so relieved to hear that - I can't tell you how happy I was
> to read the subject line of this post! Purrs still coming that she
> doesn't get any more and you don't have to go through that again!

Thank you!!! Everybody got treats this afternoon!!

Jean B.
July 17th 08, 11:08 PM
cybercat wrote:
> Dr. Lewis just called, and I am beside myself. NOW I can definitely cry and
> throw fits, but happy ones.
>
> We caught it so early there is no sign of cancer. It IS a mammary tumor
> after all, but it is benign.
>
> She said they do change and it might have changed over time, so we just have
> to watch Boo for new ones. She said "the good news is, it was not cancer,
> the bad news is, cats can have very aggressive mammary tumors, and they have
> eight breasts, so there's a good chance she might have more tumors. The
> important thing is that we get them out as soon as they show up."
>
> It occurs to me that I should not have been told it WAS cancer when it
> wasn't, but I am so happy I don't even care. The thing is, the doctor did
> not SAY it WAS cancer, it was the girl at the desk the morning of the
> surgery who read the "mostly round cell" to me from the chart. So I can't
> blame the doctor. It was so very hard, when she first touched it I could see
> the concern on her face.
>
> Thanks to every single one of you for every moment of caring and support
> through this mess. We love that little cat so much, I am not sure I realized
> how much until this. I kept petting her velvety little head and being
> cheerful all week, but thinking we were going to lose her. I know we have to
> one day but not today. YAY!

It's so wonderful to hear this happy scenario!

--
Jean B.

blkcatgal
July 18th 08, 05:13 AM
Whoo hoo!!! Glad the news was good!!!!

Sue

"cybercat" > wrote in message
> Dr. Lewis just called, and I am beside myself. NOW I can definitely cry
> and throw fits, but happy ones.
>
> We caught it so early there is no sign of cancer. It IS a mammary tumor
> after all, but it is benign.
>
> She said they do change and it might have changed over time, so we just
> have to watch Boo for new ones. She said "the good news is, it was not
> cancer, the bad news is, cats can have very aggressive mammary tumors, and
> they have eight breasts, so there's a good chance she might have more
> tumors. The important thing is that we get them out as soon as they show
> up."
>
> It occurs to me that I should not have been told it WAS cancer when it
> wasn't, but I am so happy I don't even care. The thing is, the doctor did
> not SAY it WAS cancer, it was the girl at the desk the morning of the
> surgery who read the "mostly round cell" to me from the chart. So I can't
> blame the doctor. It was so very hard, when she first touched it I could
> see the concern on her face.
>
> Thanks to every single one of you for every moment of caring and support
> through this mess. We love that little cat so much, I am not sure I
> realized how much until this. I kept petting her velvety little head and
> being cheerful all week, but thinking we were going to lose her. I know we
> have to one day but not today. YAY!

Candace
July 18th 08, 07:06 AM
On Jul 17, 8:33*am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> Dr. Lewis just called, and I am beside myself. NOW I can definitely cry and
> throw fits, but *happy ones.
>
> We caught it so early there is no sign of cancer. It IS a mammary tumor
> after all, but it is benign.
>
> She said they do change and it might have changed over time, so we just have
> to watch Boo for new ones. She said "the good news is, it was not cancer,
> the bad news is, cats can have very aggressive mammary tumors, and they have
> eight breasts, so there's a good chance she might have more tumors. The
> important thing is that we get them out as soon as they show up."
>
> It occurs to me that I should not have been told it WAS cancer when it
> wasn't, but I am so happy I don't even care. The thing is, the doctor did
> not SAY it WAS cancer, it was the girl at the desk the morning of the
> surgery who read the "mostly round cell" to me from the chart. So I can't
> blame the doctor. It was so very hard, when she first touched it I could see
> the concern on her face.
>
> Thanks to every single one of you for every moment of caring and support
> through this mess. We love that little cat so much, I am not sure I realized
> how much until this. I kept petting her velvety little head and being
> cheerful all week, but thinking we were going to lose her. I know we have to
> one day but not today. YAY!

That is so great!!!!! What a very happy surprise and bonus. I'm very
happy for all of you :)

Candace

-Lost
July 18th 08, 10:18 AM
Response to "cybercat" >:

> We caught it so early there is no sign of cancer.

:~)

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.

cybercat
July 18th 08, 03:04 PM
"Candace" > wrote

>That is so great!!!!! What a very happy surprise and bonus. I'm very
>happy for all of you :)

Thank you, Candace. It was a really harrowing "near miss," and it reminded
me of how short a time they are with us even without any catastrophic
illness. How are your babies, have you written about them and I missed it?

Phil P.
July 18th 08, 05:39 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message
> Dr. Lewis just called, and I am beside myself. NOW I can definitely cry
and
> throw fits, but happy ones.
>
> We caught it so early there is no sign of cancer. It IS a mammary tumor
> after all, but it is benign.
>
> She said they do change and it might have changed over time, so we just
have
> to watch Boo for new ones. She said "the good news is, it was not cancer,
> the bad news is, cats can have very aggressive mammary tumors, and they
have
> eight breasts, so there's a good chance she might have more tumors. The
> important thing is that we get them out as soon as they show up."
>
> It occurs to me that I should not have been told it WAS cancer when it
> wasn't, but I am so happy I don't even care. The thing is, the doctor did
> not SAY it WAS cancer, it was the girl at the desk the morning of the
> surgery who read the "mostly round cell" to me from the chart. So I can't
> blame the doctor. It was so very hard, when she first touched it I could
see
> the concern on her face.
>
> Thanks to every single one of you for every moment of caring and support
> through this mess. We love that little cat so much, I am not sure I
realized
> how much until this. I kept petting her velvety little head and being
> cheerful all week, but thinking we were going to lose her. I know we have
> one day but not today. YAY!

That's great news! I'm really happy for you both.

If the mass was a mammary tumor, she was very, very lucky it was benign.
Most (80-85%) are usually malignant and most (80% ) of those metastasize.

Here's some info on Feline Mammary tumors

http://maxshouse.com/Oncology/feline_mammary_tumors.htm

I'm really happy for you both!

Phil

cybercat
July 19th 08, 12:17 AM
"Phil P." > wrote

> That's great news! I'm really happy for you both.
>
> If the mass was a mammary tumor, she was very, very lucky it was benign.
> Most (80-85%) are usually malignant and most (80% ) of those metastasize.
>
> Here's some info on Feline Mammary tumors
>
> http://maxshouse.com/Oncology/feline_mammary_tumors.htm

My god, Phil, I had no idea what we were up against. I am SO glad you
did NOT comment earlier! Now I see why you didn't.

> I'm really happy for you both!

Thank you so much. I know each and every one of them is precious to you.

Phil P.
July 19th 08, 03:40 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Phil P." > wrote
>
> > That's great news! I'm really happy for you both.
> >
> > If the mass was a mammary tumor, she was very, very lucky it was benign.
> > Most (80-85%) are usually malignant and most (80% ) of those
metastasize.

> > Here's some info on Feline Mammary tumors
> >
> > http://maxshouse.com/Oncology/feline_mammary_tumors.htm
>
> My god, Phil, I had no idea what we were up against. I am SO glad you
> did NOT comment earlier! Now I see why you didn't.

I'm glad you understand.

> > I'm really happy for you both!
> >

> Thank you so much. I know each and every one of them is precious to you.

They sure are.

You news really made my day!

Phil