PDA

View Full Version : Cats and Water drinking

cshenk
July 17th 08, 11:31 PM
Just an info post. I see there are a few who've been having problems
getting their cats to drink much.

Here's what I do, gotten as a tip so long ago from another, I dont really
recall the circumstances.

Next time you make some baked chicken (whole or parts), save the bones up
til you have a decent batch. Then, make a salt free batch of broth
(crockpots are great for this). You need add nothing but the bones and any
flesh that is still on them. Dp not add salt (pets are not as salt tolerant
as people). About equal amounts of water to bone makes it tastey and fast.
I put it in a crockpot for about 20 hours on low. I think of this as 'free'
since it's bones that are leftover anyways.

Strain and let cool then fill icecube trays with it and you have a perfect
size for a cat noshe. With a little spicing added at cooking time, works for
those oddball times you need just a few TB of chicken broth.

Daisy-cat will just sit there and slowly lick the drips off as it defrosts
in her 'broth dish'.

Jean B.
July 18th 08, 05:10 PM
cshenk wrote:
> Just an info post. I see there are a few who've been having problems
> getting their cats to drink much.
>
> Here's what I do, gotten as a tip so long ago from another, I dont really
> recall the circumstances.
>
> Next time you make some baked chicken (whole or parts), save the bones up
> til you have a decent batch. Then, make a salt free batch of broth
> (crockpots are great for this). You need add nothing but the bones and any
> flesh that is still on them. Dp not add salt (pets are not as salt tolerant
> as people). About equal amounts of water to bone makes it tastey and fast.
> I put it in a crockpot for about 20 hours on low. I think of this as 'free'
> since it's bones that are leftover anyways.
>
> Strain and let cool then fill icecube trays with it and you have a perfect
> size for a cat noshe. With a little spicing added at cooking time, works for
> those oddball times you need just a few TB of chicken broth.
>
> Daisy-cat will just sit there and slowly lick the drips off as it defrosts
> in her 'broth dish'.

Cool. Literally and figuratively. Ming might even go for that
since he likes poultry--and ice.

--
Jean B.

cshenk
July 19th 08, 12:16 AM
"Jean B." wrote
> cshenk wrote:
>> Just an info post. I see there are a few who've been having problems
>> getting their cats to drink much.

(snips)

>> Strain and let cool then fill icecube trays with it and you have a
>> perfect

>> Daisy-cat will just sit there and slowly lick the drips off as it
>> defrosts in her 'broth dish'.

> Cool. Literally and figuratively. Ming might even go for that since he
> likes poultry--and ice.

;-) We call it cat popsicles. I've not had a vet in 35 years disagree with
it. I also make other types of broths for both human and cat use from fish
or pork so my cats who own me, expect this. Some have wanted it melted and
room temp,. several lick them just like we would a popsicle getting all the
drips as they come down. Daisy is like that.

To expand slightly while still staying with cats overall, my husband has a
lower sodium diet need. As a result, I no longer add salt to boths but have
been making my own for some 35 years. It's *real easy*. Recipes online
tend to add onions or other things and I do too with some of them, but my
pet broth is very simple.

If using a carcass that had a salty rub and including some of the skin (such
as on the back or the back meat which we 2 footed types often leave on
there), just rinse well in running water first.

At the moment, Daisy-cat and Cash-puppy are lapping up a fish broth made
with about 2 lbs of fish heads, fins, tails, and backbones. Shrimp heads
and the peeled shells were added to it. I just tossed it all in the
crockpot with some water.

I saved off 3 cups for us to add spices to, and have 3 ice trays going plus
a baggie of about 1 quart that might be for use later or might be for them
but will probably be split.

cshenk
July 19th 08, 05:32 PM
"cshenk" > wrote:

>>Just an info post. I see there are a few who've been having problems
>>getting their cats to drink much.

(snip)
> Heh. Makes me think about Five. She just *loves* her Tuna Soup - the
> water from the canned tuna. We serve it to her in 1-piece Mason jar lids
> then throw the lids back in the dishwasher when done. But a can of tuna
> usually gets 2 servings so what I do is fill the second lid then slip it
> flat into a small ZipLoc bag on its side and puff a little air into it so
> the bag doesn't settle flat on the open lid. Then I stick the bag into
> the
> freezer so on a hot day she can have a TunaSicle for a treat. She'll keep
> lapping at the frozen tuna juice until the lid is empty - she doesn't care
> how cold it is on her tongue.

Neat! Oddly I've never had a cat yet who likes tuna or 'tuna can juice'.
Just luck of the draw!

Jean B.
July 20th 08, 05:26 PM
cshenk wrote:
> "Jean B." wrote
>> cshenk wrote:
>>> Just an info post. I see there are a few who've been having problems
>>> getting their cats to drink much.
>
> (snips)
>
>>> Strain and let cool then fill icecube trays with it and you have a
>>> perfect
>
>>> Daisy-cat will just sit there and slowly lick the drips off as it
>>> defrosts in her 'broth dish'.
>
>> Cool. Literally and figuratively. Ming might even go for that since he
>> likes poultry--and ice.
>
> ;-) We call it cat popsicles. I've not had a vet in 35 years disagree with
> it. I also make other types of broths for both human and cat use from fish
> or pork so my cats who own me, expect this. Some have wanted it melted and
> room temp,. several lick them just like we would a popsicle getting all the
> drips as they come down. Daisy is like that.
>
> To expand slightly while still staying with cats overall, my husband has a
> lower sodium diet need. As a result, I no longer add salt to boths but have
> been making my own for some 35 years. It's *real easy*. Recipes online
> tend to add onions or other things and I do too with some of them, but my
> pet broth is very simple.
>
> If using a carcass that had a salty rub and including some of the skin (such
> as on the back or the back meat which we 2 footed types often leave on
> there), just rinse well in running water first.
>
> At the moment, Daisy-cat and Cash-puppy are lapping up a fish broth made
> with about 2 lbs of fish heads, fins, tails, and backbones. Shrimp heads
> and the peeled shells were added to it. I just tossed it all in the
> crockpot with some water.
>
> I saved off 3 cups for us to add spices to, and have 3 ice trays going plus
> a baggie of about 1 quart that might be for use later or might be for them
> but will probably be split.

Mingy doesn't like fish, so the usual fish-based suggestions don't
work here, alas. That poultry one probably would. Now... I was
gonna say, when it is cool enough to do it... Now wouldn't it be
funny if I finally used the crockpot for the cats? And somehow
appropriate. :-)

--
Jean B.